Input lag really isn't lag?

DaveTheStalker

Vinyl Addict
Premium
United States
Michigan
DaveTheStalker
Came across this at TheSixthAxis: http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/04/01/shift-2-unleashed-its-not-input-lag/

"Earlier today we posted an article rounding up what plenty of people were saying across hardcore racing forums (and EA's own) - that the console versions of Shift 2 Unleashed suffers from some kind of lag.

We thought it might be 'input lag' - the delay of your controller inputs being interpreted by the game, and lots of people seemed to be of the same opinion. You flick the stick left and - around 300ms later - the game responds.

But it's not input lag. I've just videod the in-game telemetry: the steering rack bottom left moves almost precisely with the analog stick. No lag..."

Came across this at TheSixthAxis: http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/04/01/shift-2-unleashed-its-not-input-lag/

"Earlier today we posted an article rounding up what plenty of people were saying across hardcore racing forums (and EA's own) - that the console versions of Shift 2 Unleashed suffers from some kind of lag.

We thought it might be 'input lag' - the delay of your controller inputs being interpreted by the game, and lots of people seemed to be of the same opinion. You flick the stick left and - around 300ms later - the game responds.

But it's not input lag. I've just videod the in-game telemetry: the steering rack bottom left moves almost precisely with the analog stick. No lag..."

I may have posted testing proving this myself on these very forums about a week ago. There is lag to the telemetry response, but it's of the level expected for this type of game. There is then FURTHER delay to the response "in-game".

Testing Videos: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=5136832#post5136832

Results: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=5136918#post5136918

There is definitely lag going on.Maybe not in that video of the telemetry,but in races it's very noticeable.

I have to turn my wheel early just to make some of the corners in this game.

I actually thought about it not being "input lag", I have the controller settings (DS3) mapped out like GT5's ,using the right analog stick as throttle/brake, and it's perfect..

Whatever it is that causing the delay, I hope the issue is addressed in the first patch.

Shift 1 had lag from the beginning and they never patched it.

Why would they release Shift 2 with the same bug if they were able to patch that?

I fear this not patchable.

EA won't bother fixing this, theres bugs and glitches all over their other games and they never patch them, their attitude towards bugs and glitches is more or less "**** off and play it as it is, we've got time for you"

The lag is more noticeable if you choose an outside view of any car from the front (looking at the front windshield) and then turning the steering wheel with the DS3 all the way to the left or right as quick as you can and hold it. The lag seems to be about .25 seconds, which would explain the feeling of driving on ice during a race.

Also if you pay attention to the drivers hands in the car, turning left and right slowly with the DS3, the motion also seems to be choppy. although it could be because i increased the dead zone to 60%, and yes i tried decreasing the dead zone to 10% too. Still

It's sad to see this. If S2/EA would fix these 2 main issues, this game would be much better than GT5!

carlosy
Shift 1 had lag from the beginning and they never patched it.

Why would they release Shift 2 with the same bug if they were able to patch that?

I fear this not patchable.

If it's not, i'm gonna have to get rid of the game, but i'm holding on for now.

Quick post to say that we've removed the lag internally (well, down to hardware limits) and we're have a blast in testing with the wheels here. Some 'late in the day' asynchronous changes with a view to optimization put things out of kilter a touch. The changes mean that the input is now processed very early on in the frame and filtered through to the physics as quickly as possible.

Big thanks to gtplanet forums and members for the feedback. We do read as much as we can.

Quick post to say that we've removed the lag internally (well, down to hardware limits) and we're have a blast in testing with the wheels here. Some 'late in the day' asynchronous changes with a view to optimization put things out of kilter a touch. The changes mean that the input is now processed very early on in the frame and filtered through to the physics as quickly as possible.

Big thanks to gtplanet forums and members for the feedback. We do read as much as we can.

Thanks for posting, Ian. This is good news 👍

Great to see our feedback and comments are heard!

Compliments on the professional procedure and good luck on the further optimisation.

Was there a measurable (or should I say "meaningful"?) amount of lag across the board or just limited to the PS3 version? I'm on Xbox using a wheel and the time it takes between when you turn the wheel and have the suspension take a set and initiate the turn-in it has always felt right to me.

The missing rolling tire noise seems a little odd though, and a slight howl depending on slip angle would be appreciated to give additional cornering limit feedback. Maybe this would help the sound of marbles being kicked up into the wheel wells (which is a nice touch BTW) blend in better and not sound quite so much like Clydesdales in the trunk.

Thanks for posting, Ian. This is good news 👍

Lol@ posting news about Shift on GT forum :]

Hope You`re reading official forums too;) No to mention racdedepartament or nogripcracing forums where moders are already trying to fix the lag;) Anyway- keep us updated!

I do read most of the forums but find it best to respond in those, how shall I put it, well moderated ones :)

The occasional punter takes the opportunity to have a go at us when we pop our heads above the parapet. Nothing wrong with that if it's at a sensible level of course but we aren't immune to a enjoying a bit of credit also. The appreciation thread and the 'little things' threads here were nice to read :)

I do read most of the forums but find it best to respond in those, how shall I put it, well moderated ones :)

The occasional punter takes the opportunity to have a go at us when we pop our heads above the parapet. Nothing wrong with that if it's at a sensible level of course but we aren't immune to a enjoying a bit of credit also. The appreciation thread and the 'little things' threads here were nice to read :)

Ian, are you guys aware of the FFB loss during rolling start events? It's "fixed" by pausing/unpausing the game, which is ok offline, but will kill you online.

Yep, GTPlanet is great, but those forums focused on simracing are quite good too;) Especially If you seek info about how the game is received by guys, that will probably play, support and eventually modify this game for the next few years:)

Anyway, believe me, many of those simracers are really crossing their fingers for you guys, beacuse this game has such a great potential... of course it`s already very good but without this lag... Fingers crossed!

Hello - What about the graphic quality issues being reported at various forums? It seems you need some serious horsepower to get smooth frame rates.

Any eta on a patch drop? We looking at days, weeks, months?

Loving the game so far apart from the lag, so many cool features and touches other titles are missing.

Great news, Ian! Keep up the good work!

Please make everything possible to release that "Legends DLC pack" for the PC platform, where you guys started as a simracing mod group, years ago.

That'd be a sign of appreciation for the active GTL community, that follows your "GT Legends" all these years. It could be the new GTL 2 Lite for us. :)

Any eta on a patch drop? We looking at days, weeks, months?

Loving the game so far apart from the lag, so many cool features and touches other titles are missing.

I'd give you a ballpark but it's not up to us. We fix, EA test, console 1st parties approve etc etc. It should be soon though.

Great news, Ian! Keep up the good work!

Please make everything possible to release that "Legends DLC pack" for the PC platform, where you guys started as a simracing mod group, years ago.

That'd be a sign of appreciation for the active GTL community, that follows your "GT Legends" all these years. It could be the new GTL 2 Lite for us. :)

We're doing all we can from our side I promise ;) The will is there.

I'm amazed the guys are still making great GT Legends mods. Makes us very proud of what we shipped there.

^ you should've posted here in the first few days when people started complaining. Not 2 weeks later. Quite a few people I know (including me) already sold their pre-ordered copies of S2U on ebay/CL and are not coming back.

I picked this up yesterday (360) and came here to mention the input lag.

I wasn't surprised to see a thread already on the subject.

It almost feels like a whole second, sometimes. Especially when using chase cam :/

Last edited:
I'd give you a ballpark but it's not up to us. We fix, EA test, console 1st parties approve etc etc. It should be soon though.

That's great news to hear that one is coming.

Thanks so much for coming here and posting Ian, it's refreshing to know that you folks care about supporting your product.

👍

Loving the game so far, it's quite different than Shift 1.

Last edited:
That's great news to hear that one is coming.

Thanks so much for coming here and posting Ian, it's refreshing to know that the you folks care about supporting your product.

👍

Loving the game so far, it's quite different than Shift 1.

Thanks James.

We're really happy to chat to the community and the punters who spend their hard earned cash on our work - five million on the last game. We wouldn't be here without you guys. So we thank you ;)

Ian,
I rushed to log in when I saw you were online.

Just to tell you I havn't had so much fun with a racinggame since the intruduction of GPL. Keep up the god work.

ctd
Ian,
I rushed to log in when I saw you were online.

Just to tell you I havn't had so much fun with a racinggame since the intruduction of GPL. Keep up the god work.

Hey CTD. Thanks for that.

(Are you the original racing forum CTD BTW?)

i noticed thad adjusting steering options in tuning help reducing steering lag. can i say that i love the sound effects of rubber debris from under and behind the car? with a dts 5.1 is amazing!

Back