Playstation Branded 3DTV

• Thread starter Robin
  • 23 comments

Robin

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
sonysony.jpeg

It's 24" and has the feature of displaying two images full screen at the same time for different people exactly like some of those car sat nav screens do. I guess the market is aimed LAN parties and university dorms. It would certainly cut down on the number of screens needed at a LAN!

Be aware though you can only have split screen working in 2D, not 3D for each person! The package is $499 with one pair of 3D glasses and Resistance 3. I think they should have gone the whole way and built a PS3 into it like that PS2 TV they recently released.

Thoughts?

Hmm. Do want but I'd rather invest in triple screens which looks like a no go with that current design.

I think it is absolutely brilliant, and considering that they're offering it on the budget end of the price scale, they'll probably move a lot of units. Early impressions at E3 don't have my hopes up too high, apparently the 3D content is a bit muted, but that's the norm with a lot of 3D TV sets currently. I'd be happier if they left out the 3D game and sold it to me for $50 less, but that's just being picky.

I plan on getting one, particularly if they're going to offer the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus title with it.

There is one big problem though... From the looks of it, developers would have to make their games compatible with the "Split screen" functionality, and I'm betting a lot of previous game won't get updated.

There is one big problem though... From the looks of it, developers would have to make their games compatible with the "Split screen" functionality, and I'm betting a lot of previous game won't get updated.

You have to use 2 PS3's to make that function work, unless one person is watching TV and the other is gaming. It will not be coded into games because its the TV hardware not software that does it.

You have to use 2 PS3's to make that function work, unless one person is watching TV and the other is gaming. It will not be coded into games because its the TV hardware not software that does it.

Oh, I did not know that. But it still looks as though the software must support it in some way, no? Let's say we fire GT5 split-screen mode. How will the PS3 connect to the second one? the software must do something to split the processing power between the two consoles, unless that is done on the TV?

Oh, I did not know that. But it still looks as though the software must support it in some way, no?

You are right, I thought you were asking what actually does it (which is still the TV) but games will have to coded to make use of it with just the one PS3.

They have stated that the game bundled with it (Resistance 3) has a feature which can display two separate images on each side but its still the actual TV hardware doing it using its 3D scanning lines to show the different sides.

For every other game out there which doesn't support it you have to have one side of the TV set to a HDMI input (First PS3) and the other side set to the another HDMI input (Second PS3) then you play over LAN or PSN.

How will the PS3 connect to the second one? the software must do something to split the processing power between the two consoles, unless that is done on the TV?

That's kind of a separate issue, PS3's can already connect together and share processing power to display multiple views from 1 player but that's for dev's to code in. This TV offers no improvement or difference in that functionality.

Online gaming... how cool could it be, two PS3s and two players competing from the same screen... it is, also, a ridiculously low price! Same way the vita is... I am AMAZED by the pricing of these both. Even with a £ instead of a dollar sign, that is CHEAP!!!

I want. What's more, it's probably the cheapest 3D TV around. Over here the only ones you can get are at least 30 inches and cost upwards of £800...

Acer has now also good 3d monitors out.
24'' 499€
27'' 599€

I have the 27'' and love it.
It has HDMI 1.4 for the ps3 (xbox is not compatible) and duel link for PC.
My review is here + some sources to get free (legally) content for 3D displays : https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=203788

Also i like the design of the PS 3d monitor.

Acer has now also good 3d monitors out.
24'' 499€
27'' 599€

Pretty sure thats still more in USD and does not come with glasses cable and a game.. However one hands on reported screen ghosting, shame if thats true. I thought that was extinct in the last 4 years.

I'd be keen on one of these tvs if the price doesn't go up to much when they get shipped here. Be perfect as I need an HD TV for our bedroom for when my lady is dominating the lounge. I have never been after a 3D TV but considering it wouldn't cost much more than a regular TV plus has the Playstation logo and the split screen feature plus free game, glasses etc I will definitely consider getting one. Even if the 3D isn't great you could always turn it off and it is still a good spec Full HD TV.

You are right, I thought you were asking what actually does it (which is still the TV) but games will have to coded to make use of it with just the one PS3.

They have stated that the game bundled with it (Resistance 3) has a feature which can display two separate images on each side but its still the actual TV hardware doing it using its 3D scanning lines to show the different sides.

For every other game out there which doesn't support it you have to have one side of the TV set to a HDMI input (First PS3) and the other side set to the another HDMI input (Second PS3) then you play over LAN or PSN.

Are you sure thats how it works? Has it been stated officially that is how it is going to work?

From my understanding, 2 player split screens will be shown with either a horizontal split or vertical. You can press the 3D button on a 3D TV remote and tell it to display 3D content that is split either horizontal or vertical. You are then telling the TV to send on signal to one pair of glasses, and the other to the other pair. You don't need multiple PS3's or specific game code to run it. It should work no problem on any 2 player split screen game.

Here is a great example of it currently working with a Passive 3D set. (link below)

A bit of handywork but you can see the theory of how it works. The appeal of the PlayStation 3D TV makes it work with Active 3D (which will probably introduce ghosting (crosstalk) in some cases) and therefore the glasses will work with other Active 3D TV sets.

If a Passive 3D TV was to launch with the same idea in mind, you would have to purchase specific glasses, one for watching 3D content, and others for playing 2 player split screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVJcVPvjUJo

This is no 'splitting' the image in the traditional sense, each player will see a full screen view. Yes it has been confirmed that it only works with games that support it (unless you connect 2 PS3's up).

There is no second pair of glasses because its only 2D when 2 Player and 3D when 1 player. You do not need the glasses to see the two different images which is why it only comes bundled with 1. This is because it works on the same technology that high end sat nav's have.

I think you misunderstanding what its offering. Its not offering 3D split screen... its offering 2 player full screen in 2D.

Robin.

Pretty sure thats still more in USD and does not come with glasses cable and a game.. However one hands on reported screen ghosting, shame if thats true. I thought that was extinct in the last 4 years.

The prices are nearly the same in USD and it comes with glasses (nvidia 1 pair) and HDMi cable and a dual link dvi cable.
Obviously you don't get a ps3 game, but you get compatibility with over 800 Pc games in 3d

There's already TVs that do this, you can select either left-right or top-bottom split depending on which way the game splits the screen, and any game or system will work with it, even your old SNES.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/06/vizio-versus-offers-two-player-head-to-head-gaming-on-one-scre/

As for the 3D, I'm waiting for the glasses-free TVs for many reasons. I think the 3DS works great and the technology will only get better. I believe Toshiba had a glasses-free 3D TV that split the image and sound for viewers on either side with the idea of two viewers watching different TV shows on the same TV.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news...thout-the-glasses-comes-into-focus-at-ces.ars

When I read the details about this TV, the way it's built proprietarily around the PS3, I immediately regarded it as a gimmicky cash-grab aimed at teenagers who don't know about comparison shopping. Sony has a whole line of quality TVs, but the PlayStation TV is not among them.

Last edited:
Because of how 3D works, they are able to display two different views, with only one view available to each set of glasses.

With two PS3s connected, the TV hardware displays the first system in a way that the wearer of glasses "A" can see his view. Same goes for the second system, but for glasses "B". Both players are playing the full game, possibly not even playing each other or even the same game.

And then I guess its able to work for 3D games that are designed for this purpose to generate the two separate views, however it seems like that is going to be very stressful on the system to pretty much be rendering twice as much.

I wish we had this back in my Halo LAN party days.

Looks like i'll be pulling out my gt4 and tourist trophy games out for once in about what... 2 years? Anybody else notice how the only 1080i output games that are on tbe ps2 are realsed by PD?

Gran turiamo 3 10 year anniversary july 10th spread the word...

Back