The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
Reading all the problems that you guys are having are scaring me (yea yea I know it's been said before). Someone needs to make a poll for owners to gauge who does and doesn't have any problems with their T500's. The newer wheels coming out from Fanatec also look fantastic, but as a company, seems like others have their own horror stories about them. I'll be hanging on to my G25 a lot longer than I thought.

Don't forget the happy owners are off playing games. I know myself I just periodically drop in for news updates. That leaves the unhappy customers which tend to post over & over. Us happy owners have very little new to say really beyond that we cant wait for our new shifters to arrive, etc

If you look around you'll see a lot Logitech threads as well. It just happens to be the DFGT dominating the vast majority since those things sell like butter while the old G27 got taken off the shelves (so they must be specially ordered direct). *correction, maybe you can mail order the G-series but you cant walk into a store and buy it like the top selling DFGT

Last edited:
Mine is V4, just received it 2 days ago.

So far so good, all updates went smoothly also.

I do miss the Fanatec CSP compared to the T500RS pedals.

The wheel feedback is great, just want to ask what value of force feedback do you guys set from the PC. Its running at default 50% now, wonder what is a recommendable value for GT5.

Cheers

Many thanks, man.. 👍

Reading all the problems that you guys are having are scaring me (yea yea I know it's been said before). Someone needs to make a poll for owners to gauge who does and doesn't have any problems with their T500's. The newer wheels coming out from Fanatec also look fantastic, but as a company, seems like others have their own horror stories about them. I'll be hanging on to my G25 a lot longer than I thought.

I have had problems with T500RS, yet still happy :dunce:

I can't understand why a dedicated TH8 thread wouldn't be welcomed (locked by daan), as the shifter has little to do with this wheel, given it's functionality with other wheels.
So anyone who wants to discuss the TH8 gets to dissect the T500 thread for half an hour first.. great.

occasionalracer
I can't understand why a dedicated TH8 thread wouldn't be welcomed (locked by daan), as the shifter has little to do with this wheel, given it's functionality with other wheels.
So anyone who wants to discuss the TH8 gets to dissect the T500 thread for half an hour first.. great.

Little to do with this wheel. Are you serious? Please ut has everything to do with the T500 RS. Considering it's the shifter every owner has been waiting to be released so they can complete their set up.

Functionality is on the PC. This is a GT site which would be PS3 favoring.

Glad the thread split was closed up. If people don't know to go looking that thread is more hindering then helpful.

The true people needing the info are current T500 owners. Which being GTP bought it to play GT5.

I wish he would have left it open too. I couldn't care less about the T500, but I would like to read about the shifter. I'm getting tired of waiting on the fanatec clubsport shifter, and am thinking about getting the t500 one instead, but I really don't want to have to go through all the wheel talk to read about it.
As far as the only people needing to know about the shifter are T500 owners, I think that's completely wrong. Anyone wanting a good shifter for the PC would want to read about this shifter.

I think to open a new threat for TH8 RS is a good idea, because not all people interested in TH8 RS is interested in the T500 RS.

I see a moderator has closed the specific threat, when there is around 500 threats less neccesarys in this forums than this. In this community there are some moderators a bit dictatorials, who close threads without good reasons (I know from experience).

I'm sort of on the same boat. I'm interested on both; however the shifter I can afford, the wheel I can't. :lol:

Anyways, I found this pic, looks like the USB cable comes out the bottom of the shifter. Speaking of pics, I've been trying to find one to no avail; does anyone have a picture of the threaded holes for hard mounting?

tm-th8rs-2.jpg

I too have no interest in the t500 wheel only the shifter. Sucks having to wade through this thread to find any info on it.

As it is being sold as a standalone product and is useable without the t500 wheel it really does deserve its own thread in my opinion.

Reading all the problems that you guys are having are scaring me (yea yea I know it's been said before).

The big problem of T500 RS is that it´s made by Thrustmaster.

After to see how they has solved the problem with my paddle shifter, I´m considering to change to another party, and probably I will not buy the TH8 RS shifter.

Logitech, please: moves on!.

We've been talking bout the t8rs shifter for months now already in this thread so you would have to dissect this thread anyway. Now, if all you cared about was the initial t8rs shifter announcement then all you have to do is scroll back 2-3 pages. So either way I'm not following the logic in this post.

Now if you were the OP of this closed thread then you should follow up with the moderators. I do recall seeing that thread and I seriously questioned it's existence because it seemed redundant- we already had a news post about it in this thread. * Plus it gave false info, got the price all kinds of wrong. It probably got closed for that alone

Here is that thread I refer to. Now I see another guy just made a brand new thread that got closed as well.

The big problem of T500 RS is that it´s made by Thrustmaster.

After to see how they has solved the problem with my paddle shifter, I´m considering to change to another party, and probably I will not buy the TH8 RS shifter.

Logitech, please: moves on!.

Yeah if you are unhappy with the wheel you should probably sell it. I guess since I put together my own computer I never could understand the big deal with putting in your own fan. This is a very simple operation to do on the PC. I'm not trying to attack you as a member and respect your decision. I am just saying- if it were *me* I would actually much rather receive instructions to fix it myself. I'd never be ok with downtime and find this desire to want TM to fix it rather puzzling

Last edited:
does anyone have a picture of the threaded holes for hard mounting?

Maybe you can found this later on thrust master product technical support download section. But as I know, TM have been send the holes drilling template to some 3rd party manufacturer such as APIGA ,to design shifter mount for TH8rs, I think other cockpit frame manufacturer also get this few month ago.Wait and see~:)

... I guess since I put together my own computer I never could understand the big deal with putting in your own fan. This is a very simple operation to do on the PC. I'm not trying to attack you as a member and respect your decision. I am just saying- if it were *me* I would actually much rather receive instructions to fix it myself. I'd never be ok with downtime and find this desire to want TM to fix it rather puzzling

If you take a look to the instructions I had attached in a pair of post in this threat, you will see that to replace the T500 RS cooling fan is not the same as to change a PC cooling fan (I have changed some of this sometimes also).

In any case, my wheel had not the fan broken, was the paddle. They send me the cover with the fan by mistake.

About repair the paddle myself, I denied, because TM support made me understand that broken any other part in the manipulation, I lost the warranty. Then I claim my right to the product warranty would cover the complete repair.

What I could not think (because it makes sense) is that they offered to send me a complete levers kit to replace it myself, and they have changed only one of the paddles (even if they say otherwise). It's a fudge

If you take a look to the instructions I had attached in a pair of post in this threat, you will see that to replace the T500 RS cooling fan is not the same as to change a PC cooling fan (I have changed some of this sometimes also).

In any case, my wheel had not the fan broken, was the paddle. They send me the cover with the fan by mistake.

About repair the paddle myself, I denied, because TM support made me understand that broken any other part in the manipulation, I lost the warranty. Then I claim my right to the product warranty would cover the complete repair.

What I could not think (because it makes sense) is that they offered to send me a complete levers kit to replace it myself, and they have changed only one of the paddles (even if they say otherwise). It's a fudge

Ah you uploaded the fan replacement instructions? I'll check that out (downloading it now thanks)

Now that sounds really messed up if they told you they would cancel the warranty if you made a mistake. You made the right decision

[edit] These instructions are in spanish or something but this looks like a LOT of steps :scared:

Last edited:

After reading this post I contacted TM about my warranty, as I've said I'm going to replace the faulty fan with the one their sending me. But they assured me my warranty wouldn't void ................

After reading this post I contacted TM about my warranty, as I've said I'm going to replace the faulty fan with the one their sending me. But they assured me my warranty wouldn't void ................

Now that sounds really messed up if they told you they would cancel the warranty if you made a mistake. You made the right decision

You can lost your warranty if replacing any part yourself causes damage to another parts of the wheel.

Specifically they said: "if replacement is done properly, you do not have to lose the warranty."

But one can commit any mistake, and I'm not too handy with electronics.

[edit] These instructions are in spanish or something but this looks like a LOT of steps :scared:

Is spanish language (I´m spanish :)).

Well I hope I never have to find out how they operate 1st hand.

I take it no one contacted Wheel stand pro yet to inquire will they have a mount we can use to attach our new shifter? I'll see if I can drop them a line right quick.

UPDATE: They promise they'll have a solution ready. Atm, they are waiting on the specs from TM

Last edited:
Hello,

So I've completed the fan upgrade. At this point I am still using the stock fan at the top case because the silenx fan I bought ended up being too thick. Please be sure to purchase a 60x60x20mm fan for the replacement of the stock one. The silenx is about 25mm. One can go to 80x80x20, but you would need to cut of the screw pegs from the inside of the top cover. Just to give an idea of the upgrade, I now run the wheel at 10 in GT5 (wow btw) and running Nur, the stock fan turns on 2 and a half laps in. Which in short means, the other three fans are keeping it cool enough for 2.5 laps at strength 10 of Nur.

What you need:
small phillips screwdriver
tweezers
wire cutter/stripper
soldering iron
good quality foam double sided tape
super glue (gel)
multimeter (if you want to find a different 12v lead)
electric tape

***please note. this is just a guide to give people an idea of how upgrade the cooling in the T500rs, which in my opinion is horrible at OEM/stock level. If you fry something, I take no responsibility. Be smart, take your time, google and youtube is your friend.***

First thing first. Fan size is really important because of room inside the case. The HD cooler fans I bought on a whim ended up being really good 1. in getting fresh air in 2. to get the right side of the motor cooled. I think they are 50x50x10mm. If replacing the top fan (stock fan), which was what started all of this, you need a 60x60x20mm and no thicker. This size is actually a little difficult to find.

HDFAN.jpg

HDFANAPART.jpg

FAN.jpg

I suggest using the official TM manual to remove the casing. My opinion is that its much easier to work with the wheel with the steering wheel on. Just don't move the base too much like this.

First take off all the screws (red arrows)
2copy.jpg

Take off the top cover and unscrew the one screw, take out the small bolt with tweezers. I've also dremeled in more vent holes at the top.
1copy.jpg

If you have the steering wheel sitting like this, pull the bottom cover toward you and it should pop off. Undo all the screws shown by the thick red arrows.
3copy.jpg

Again undo the screws shown. Do not forget the two front face screw, they are black, one on each side.
4copy.jpg

Now is the hardest part, gently prying the top off. Be very careful in doing this, I suggest having it pop of slightly and then slide the cover off up and towards you. Basically you don't want to hook this little circuit board on the back of the top motor. Just have patience in doing this part and you'll be fine.
5.jpg

Once everything is off, you need to mount your fan/fans how you want, solder everything up and you're golden. TIP!!!! If you want any of the fans to be controlled by the thermal sensor, just splice the ground of your extra fan into the ground of the main fan. Its this ground that controls the thermal sensor...control? Please note that the 12v lead that I chose to run of, is a constant on lead, meaning that the fans attached to it are running even when the wheel is off (but plugged in). If you want the fans only to turn on when the wheel is on, either use the main fan socket, or use a multimeter to find a 12v lead that only has voltage when the wheel is ON.

6.jpg

7copy.jpg

8copy.jpg

Hope this helps anybody undertaking a similar project.

Cheers.

Very informative post, you got there, falaut. Many thanks.

So now you have 3 fans running inside the wheel.

oh, could you please give pics of the stock fan? I might need to add some lubricant to it because of the sound

Good stuff Falaut! How loud is the stock fan? Fan noise generally drives me nuts, and if I had to do what you did, I'd have 3 quiet fans.

Interesting to see the motor unit built into the T500 is from the German manufacturer Bühler. Quite nice to see Thrustmaster settling for some properly engineered components.

May do a fan upgrade down the road... thanks for the post Falaut.👍

@Myeeek - the stock fan when working as it should is fine. It is just that I think it is off poor quality and therefore has a poor balance, resulting in that sometimes occurring "the fan blades are rubbing against something" noise.

See that is something I don't understand. The core of this unit, and by that I mean the motor (at least the one I can see, it has two), gears, belts, the frame holding it together, appears to be of really good quality. Then you get into things like the wiring, fan, lack of cooling for example and the only proper response is WTF.

I've read that TM has responded to this fan issue in saying that the lubricant needs to heat up. Anybody with any experience in electrical motors can smell bullcrap in this explanation. It is simply a LOW quality fan. Please if you're going to make the effort to get at that main fan, don't start taking apart the fan and trying to "lubricate" it as it is only a course to make it worse. Go out to your local TigerDirect or similar store and spend 12 bucks on a good fan.

edit: or complain to lovely TM about the fan, and from the looks of it they will send you a complete top cover assembly, this way you'll have two, still replace the fan! :)

Cheers.

I received my T500 wheel repaired from TM sat in France (a paddle shifter working bad). It works, but I´m not happy at all: now, the two paddles has a different feel and sound, and the new is more polised than the older.

I should accept to replace the complete paddles kit myself...

Yes I think the (V4) paddle shifters appear different than my (V2), less polished maybe.

playnthru, please, could you confirm me that:

1.- Left and right paddles on your V2 base are identical.

2.- Left and right paddles on your two V4 bases are identical, but differ from those mounted on the V2 base.

Thrustmaster is traded to make me believe that there is no different paddles between versions, and say they replaced the entire kit.

Thanks.

Latest Posts

Back