HRT complains to FIA about Caterham

• Thread starter Peter.
  • 41 comments
Jamaica
Kingston, Jamaica
pj-gm
PJwasHere876
2 days late, but this should be interesting. Apparently Caterham (Lotus at the time) were, in 2010, in possession of files which were the intellectual property of Force India, which is in violation of Schedule Three of the Concorde Agreement.

Caterham have been fined $25,000 by the FIA, but could face far more severe penalties. HRT are set to gain around $26m if Caterham are removed from the 2010 standings. Virgin and Force India are also beleived to be protesting, but only HRT are set to gain financially from Caterham's removal.

Article.

I believe, after reading this, that the title should be "Force India complains about Caterham"? Because I don't think HRT would be complaining if they're set to benefit financially.

Spygate Part Deux: Who isn't last... err... uhh.... isn't last.

I believe, after reading this, that the title should be "Force India complains about Caterham"? Because I don't think HRT would be complaining if they're set to benefit financially.

So, if you weren't in a position to benefit in any means, you wouldn't be the one complaining?

So, if you weren't in a position to benefit in any means, you wouldn't be the one complaining?

What? If I'm not going to benefit from complaining and if nobody did anything to me... why would I feel anything aside from indifferent?

The point is that the title of the thread says that HRT is complaining about Caterham. When it should be Force India complaining since they were the ones who had stuff stolen from them.

HRT are complaining, because Caterham may have gained a significant advantage by breaking the rules, thus making their 10th place, and the money they received, unfairly earned.

Well I suppose $26m would be of great help in the development race against Marussia for the Spanish team....

What? If I'm not going to benefit from complaining and if nobody did anything to me... why would I feel anything aside from indifferent?

The point is that the title of the thread says that HRT is complaining about Caterham. When it should be Force India complaining since they were the ones who had stuff stolen from them.

Whether Force India or HRT file the complaint, only HRT benefits from it.

TomMcD
Well I suppose $26m would be of great help in the development race against Marussia for the Spanish team....

This. That's the only reason their doing it. They didn't do well in 2010, so it really doesn't matter.

What puzzles me is if HRT are the only team to gain from this, why are their main rivals, Marussia, also protesting against Caterham? Makes no sense.

What puzzles me is if HRT are the only team to gain from this, why are their main rivals, Marussia, also protesting against Caterham? Makes no sense.
Because retroactively changing the results is a difficult and messy business. The infringement - if it happened - happened two years ago. It would make much more sense for the FIA to punish Caterham in the here and now, which both Marussia and HRT would benefit from.

Because retroactively changing the results is a difficult and messy business. The infringement - if it happened - happened two years ago. It would make much more sense for the FIA to punish Caterham in the here and now, which both Marussia and HRT would benefit from.

Ah that makes sense, didn't think of it like that. So what the OP meant was HRT are the only team set to financially benefit from the incident.

Well, Marussia could benefit financially. They are currently 10th overall and Caterham 11th, mostly because Marussia have a more-reliable car than Caterham do. Any penalty that the FIA imposes on Caterham this year could affect them further.

2 days late, but this should be interesting. Apparently Caterham (Lotus at the time) were, in 2010, in possession of files which were the intellectual property of Force India, which is in violation of Schedule Three of the Concorde Agreement.

Caterham have been fined $25,000 by the FIA, but could face far more severe penalties. HRT are set to gain around $26m if Caterham are removed from the 2010 standings. Virgin and Force India are also beleived to be protesting, but only HRT are set to gain financially from Caterham's removal.

Article.

The FIA have not fined them. The Law Court did. The FIA can't fine anyone after Flav's appeal confirmed that the FIA does not have the power to do that.

The only thing the FIA can do is remove them from the championship.

The FIA have not fined them. The Law Court did. The FIA can't fine anyone after Flav's appeal confirmed that the FIA does not have the power to do that.
I'm pretty sure the FIA can fine them for breaches of the sporting code. They just can't hand down a sentence in what would be a criminal or civil case. The reason why Briatore's ban was overturned was because he was match-fixing, so the FIA should have referred the matter to French and/or Singaporean prosecutors.

If Caterham is found guilty, will they have to pay $26 million to HRT or will the FIA give the money to HRT.

Caterham would be removed from the championship standings for last season, lose the travel and prize money for it and then that money would go to the team that moved up with Caterham's removal.

Caterham would be removed from the championship standings for last season, lose the travel and prize money for it and then that money would go to the team that moved up with Caterham's removal.
No, they would lose the money from 2010, because that's when the infraction occurred. Of course, that money has probably since been spent, but what the FIA can do is apply the historical multiplier to HRT for this year, and pay them some share of that $26 million, based on the multiplier and their performance this season.

Well I guess this is what HRT must resort to, since they've never even looked like competing with their fellow F1 newcomers (let alone the rest of the grid).

And where are they now?
Yes, they're 12th at the moment. However, during the off season, they spent most of their time consolidating their team. Until recently, the control of the actual team and the entry were separate. Ever since Thesn Capital got involved, they have untangled the team's structure, brought everything together, and finally established a permanent base of operations. It might be a step backwards, but it was necessary to get the team on the right track.

They are disorganised, dangerously slow and show nowhere near the level of professionalism of Marussia, let alone Caterham.
And now they are organised, working towards getting speed out of the car, and are considerably more professional than they were last year because they're not at the mercy of an internal power conflict. And to add to that, do you deny that their off-track moves over the winter will help them?

So long as they qualify within 107% of the pole time, they're entitled to race. The only way the FIA can throw them out is if they bring the sport into disrepute. And being slow down not count as disreputable - Formula 1 has always had a backmarker team, whether it was Minardi or Spyker or Super Aguri.

Well I guess this is what HRT must resort to, since they've never even looked like competing with their fellow F1 newcomers (let alone the rest of the grid).

The other two don't look like they plan to touch the rest of the grid soon either. Also you pick out HRT, but two other teams also are complaining as well.

So since the FIA are getting rid of HRT, who do you suggest take their place?

And now they are organised, working towards getting speed out of the car, and are considerably more professional than they were last year because they're not at the mercy of an internal power conflict. And to add to that, do you deny that their off-track moves over the winter will help them?

So long as they qualify within 107% of the pole time, they're entitled to race. The only way the FIA can throw them out is if they bring the sport into disrepute. And being slow down not count as disreputable - Formula 1 has always had a backmarker team, whether it was Minardi or Spyker or Super Aguri.

Minardi, Spyker and Super Aguri all had cars finish in the points, and two of them entered fewer Grands Prix! HRT have never even looked like getting a car anywhere near the points.

The other two don't look like they plan to touch the rest of the grid soon either. Also you pick out HRT, but two other teams also are complaining as well.

So since the FIA are getting rid of HRT, who do you suggest take their place?

Oh they are, are they?

PS why should it be such an outrageous concept that I find HRT to be deeply unimpressive? Does somebody's mother work for HRT? Are either one of you Pedro De La Rosa?

Oh they are, are they?

PS why should it be such an outrageous concept that I find HRT to be deeply unimpressive? Does somebody's mother work for HRT? Are either one of you Pedro De La Rosa?

Sure they are!👍

Same could be applied to you, what are you panties in a knot over us defending HRT. Do you lose money on it, does Marussia take stock away from you when you don't get others to hate HRT? These are the questions :sly:.

I also was a double for PDR back in the mid 2000s.

Minardi, Spyker and Super Aguri all had cars finish in the points, and two of them entered fewer Grands Prix! HRT have never even looked like getting a car anywhere near the points.
?

Yes and how did they do that.

Minardi got points when everyone else retired.

Yes but they were not any faster then HRT are, it's just now the cars are more reliable and it's easier to overtake, if they can stay out of trouble at Monaco or another wet race, they could have a serious chance at some points.

Back