[NEW ACTIONS ADDED] The Editing Suite - leeislee

• Thread starter leeislee
  • 98 comments
England
Liverpool
leeislee
How about a thread where we can share editing resources such as Actions, Gradients, Textures, Brushes, Flares and all that stuff that makes a picture alot better?

So what are you waiting for? Get sharing!

I'll start off...

With out light there is no dark, Light creates feeling, atmosphere, drama and mood.

I was asked about the techniques i use to create shiney sunshine in my edits. I mentioned it only takes minutes to achieve great results once you get in the zone of doing it and to show how easy it can be, i created a Photoshop Action using the technique i came up with.

Here are a few examples of pictures i ran the action on. These honestly took 2 minutes each to edit.

---------------

From This
tokyor2464.jpg

To This
tokyosunrise1080.jpg

---------------

From This
tokyor2462.jpg

To This
tokyoskylife.jpg

---------------

Some smaller examples

tokyor246.jpg
-
13036483.jpg

eigernordwandshorttracks.jpg
-
84879315.jpg

nrburgringnordschleife1fz.jpg
-
81909826.jpg

nrburgring24hb.jpg
-
56752971.jpg

nrburgring24h7.jpg
-
38332248.jpg

trialmountaincircuit2mp.jpg
-
19918561.jpg

thetopgeartesttrackm.jpg
-
73310799.jpg

I hate that last shot of the viper!

---------------

Of course this action won't improve every photo, you will need to experiment to see what happens.

The action is completely non-destructive to your original photo so it is easy to adjust the layers to suit your taste.

Not sure if this will work in Gimp, i doubt it but maybe someone can recreate it using Gimp to share with people who don't have Photoshop?

To download the Zip folder containing the action click on the link below and share what you create using it. Have fun!

Here are some more examples of shiney sunshine in my gallery all using similar techniques contained in the action...but without using the action per sé!

These took longer than 2 minutes to edit!

- - - - - -------

As you can see...a nice light effect can take an average shot and turn into an eye catching beauty

Don't forget if you share anything you've found elsewhere on t'internet and it isn't your work...don't forget to credit the creator if you can and maybe share a link if you feel like it 👍

Attachments

• sky glow - leeislee.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Thanks for another handy thread, Lee! I can see this becoming a valuable resource. I look forward to seeing what people bring to the table. 👍

Here is a video I made to show how I edited this

into this

I think the edit turned out OK, but the main idea was to show some techniques I used so that it may be helpful for those who have the tools but don't know about how they can be used. I constantly try out different things with each shot I want to edit, so it is a very manual process for me. Hope this helps.

This is a custom action I made last month. It's useful, however it's not as good as Mr. leeislee's :P . It gives an effect similar to one found in Adobe Lightroom (can't recall its name).
Note: This action rarely works on night photos, but try it anyway. Enjoy.
(I'm too busy with my tests to post photos, sorry)

Attachments

• KK200-Lighting.rar
    1.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
[empty space];7966768
Can give a step by step of how you did it?

I am not good at making those unfortunately. Besides it would hard for me to make it in the first place because a lot of my editing comes down to adjusting and playing around with the tools and it really depends on the image.

I did this earlier today using the action you posted Lee, there is so many different levels of stuff you can do with it, but I am pretty excited about it!

Toscana (Tarmac)_1 by GT5NUT, on Flickr

Whats the best way to post an action or a set of actions? I have a couple that I use that I really enjoy.

I did this earlier today using the action you posted Lee, there is so many different levels of stuff you can do with it, but I am pretty excited about it!

Toscana (Tarmac)_1 by GT5NUT, on Flickr

Whats the best way to post an action or a set of actions? I have a couple that I use that I really enjoy.
Looking good mate. The best way to share an action in my opinion is to take a few before and after shots so people can see what it does, stick the action in a ZIP or RAR folder and attach it to a new post in this thread.

Oh, but before all that make sure the action works well and doesn't throw up any errors. 👍

Alright, so in the zip folder are two photoshop actions, ATN files I believe. Should be able to just click on them and they'll open up in PS.

Each one actually has 12-14 action so there is ample content to play with, I use at least one of these on a daily basis, wither it be for my GT5 photography or for my real life work. Most of them are pretty subtle, a couple are a little bit more dramatic.

What I usually do is, I'll initiate the action and let it run it's course, and then I will go in the different levels and tweak and play until I get what I want. And more often then not, I'll initiate an action and reduce the whole opacity of the action so its real subtle.

Sometimes I'll use more then one action on an image too.

What I have done is include the untouched image out of GT5, and then I used the actions that I use most on the same image, with out any other editing other then the action so you can see fully what it does with out tweaking.

Also, the images are labeled to what action they are and the first image is the totally unedited one.

Nürburgring Nordschleife_1b by GT5NUT, on Flickr

This one is one of my favorites, I use it one way or another on most of my images, it has some really nice tones even at 10% opacity.

70's by GT5NUT, on Flickr

Colorized by GT5NUT, on Flickr

Heartland by GT5NUT, on Flickr

Lovely and Ethereal by GT5NUT, on Flickr

oldwest by GT5NUT, on Flickr

PW's Black and white by GT5NUT, on Flickr

Sunshine by GT5NUT, on Flickr

Vintage by GT5NUT, on Flickr

Attachments

• New Compressed (zipped) Folder.zip
    9 KB · Views: 27
I should add too, on every single image before I start to do actions or any other sort of editing, I make sure my levels and color balance is correct. Just makes the end product and process that much easier.

This image for instance I think is to blue, and slightly underexposed so I would have corrected that before I applied any sort of action.

Hopefully this is helpful to somebody!

They are a photoshop specific file so I am going to guess probably not.

Although you could download the trial of photoshop and play with them!

Back