Gran Turismo 6 coming to PS3

The drive has nothing to do with sound quality. Those samples have to fit in system ram. Even Turn 10 shortsheeted the sounds in Forza 4, in which the other cars have generic samples - muted samples at that, and yours makes an ungodly roar. And the 360 has a slightly more flexible unified ram.

Once again, if you want a seriously improved Gran Turismo, you don't want it on PS3.

Anyway, time to play with my weed eaters. :D

The amount of space on the disc is paramount to the quality of the sound. That's why PS3 games allow for better sound than 360 games for an example. Delivering lossless or uncompressed sound takes up a lot of space, and it won't fit on a dual layered DVD. The more you compress sound, the more detail you lose.

With that said, I completely agree that the PS4 will allow for a better experience. However, the PS3's limitations have nothing what so ever to do with sound. But from a finiancial perspective, it makes perfect sense to release it on the PS3.

I thought the new meme was weed eater sounds. ;)

I found myself with a Peugeot that overpowered the field badly, so I took off the sports muffler and close tranny and redid the race, and cruised by all the other cars. I was impressed at how each car had its own distinct humm and purr and rumble, many of which I recognized from my early morning tear to work. I think you "vacuum cleaner" guys are lost in the jungle of your own cliches.

versus

Distinct =/= accurate. Which I think is largely what the issue is people (quite rightly) have been complaining about for a long time.

The drive has nothing to do with sound quality. Those samples have to fit in system ram. Even Turn 10 shortsheeted the sounds in Forza 4, in which the other cars have generic samples - muted samples at that, and yours makes an ungodly roar. And the 360 has a slightly more flexible unified ram.

This is true, however. Sometimes it can be very obvious in FM4 that the sounds are compressed or otherwise tampered with, but the difference is that more cars sound closer to their R/L counterparts. That C5-R is one of just many, many examples with GT.

Once again, if you want a seriously improved Gran Turismo, you don't want it on PS3.

Once again, not necessarily, since a lot of the problems some of us have with GT5 have little to do with the system power. Accurate car sounds shouldn't take any more power (seeing as how some already do sound accurate). Hilariously out-dated car models in the forms of Standards can be replaced by Premiums (as there's plenty of room on the disc). Tuning can be more in-depth (it'd take very little to give us proper measurements for things like ride height instead of the +/- system currently in place). The GT Mode can be expanded very easily, and given proper regulations. Arcade Mode's by far the worst of all GT games, and that has nothing to do with console performance, just poor game design decisions. Which is where a lot of my criticisms lie; the game still feels hobbled together in time for a deadline, not a homogeneous mixture. I should not have to deal with so many loading delays just hopping through (poorly-designed) UI's!

Streamlined menus, a more expansive and fun career mode, consistent quality amongst the car and track models, cars that sound even slightly more like their real life counterparts? All can be done on the current system, and very likely, improved AI too. Despite my penchant for Photomode stuff, I really don't care about what PS4 could do for the graphics, as those are lower on the priority list for me compared to fixing some of the more substantial issues (IMO) with the game :).

Are you going to wait 5 years for a PS4? If your are then the question on whether or not you want GT6 to be a PS4 release has been answered. It's because you aren't going to be buying a PS4, so you don't want to miss out.

This sums up the entire GT6 for PS3 crowd, i don't want to see another terrible GT game released just because you can't afford a PS4 right now.

This sums up the entire GT6 for PS3 crowd, i don't want to see another terrible GT game released just because you can't afford a PS4 right now.

The newness of the system doesn't grant greatness. If that were the case, wouldn't GT5 have been the best-regarded game in the series?

💡

With GT5 it felt like PD was already maxing out the ps3. I'm not sure how much more they could get out of the system to make GT6 stand out or impress. Also a PS3 GT6 means we will have to wait 5 years for a next gen Gt which is too long especially when there will be other next gen racers. Lastly, if Sony wants a great PS4 launch they will want GT6 for PS4 by 2014.

With GT5 it felt like PD was already maxing out the ps3. I'm not sure how much more they could get out of the system to make GT6 stand out or impress. Also a PS3 GT6 means we will have to wait 5 years for a next gen Gt which is too long especially when there will be other next gen racers. Lastly, if Sony wants a great PS4 launch they will want GT6 for PS4 by 2014.

Five years to develop a new GT? On a system that is far easier to code for than the last one?
rotfl.gif

Maybe they will announce one for both. Everything will become clear on the 15th and we will find out if the OP's question is answered.

It must be nice to be able to sit back and find fault in peoples reasoning for not buying a PS4 at launch. If your able to do that so be it, because your obviously blessed to be able to do so, but whether I or anybody else waits 2 to 4 years to grab up the Next gen system really shouldnt effect your purchase in any way.

Well...who do you sound like now...ps4 is too expensive for many.

Well how do you know if PS4 is too expensive for many if the price has not been announced coupled with the fact that it might be on PS3 which is £130.

Last edited:
With GT5 it felt like PD was already maxing out the ps3. I'm not sure how much more they could get out of the system to make GT6 stand out or impress.
As GT5 was released a few years ago now, which is plenty of time to optimize an engine. Hell a good number of options have already been discussed in this thread already and PD have a track record of being able to do just that.

Also a PS3 GT6 means we will have to wait 5 years for a next gen Gt which is too long especially when there will be other next gen racers. Lastly, if Sony wants a great PS4 launch they will want GT6 for PS4 by 2014.
Why does it mean we will have to wait 5 years for a GT on the PS4?

Why could PD have not been working on both GT6 for the PS3 and GT7 for the PS4? No reason at all, particularly given we know they have expanded the workforce, they were one of the first to get hands on with the PS4, the PS4 is supposed to be far easier to work with and PD actually have an average turn around time on 2 -3 years for a title (GT5's development time is the anomaly not the norm).

Launch it tomorrow for a grand and I could go out and buy one, doesn't mean I would.

Not wanting to buy something has nothing at all to do with being able to afford something, so do not try and correlate the two.

BOOMBOOM669
Well how do you know if PS4 is too expensive for many if the price has not been announced coupled with the fact that it might be on PS3 which is £130.

A new system, at any likely price point, is not in everyone's budget. Whereas a game on the old system that is guaranteed to have a huge market followed by a ps4 grease that many of those same people will purchase makes good business sense. Sony knows that most people interested in GT will purchase gt6 for ps3 and gt7 for ps4.

DriveClub & Co. will make a great PS4 launch for every early adopter and Sony. One year later when Sony might need a great exclusive title to push sales figures again right on time for the next holiday season might just be right for a GT7P/GT6+ on PS4.

There's no need for Sony/PD to rush things although I wouldn't really call 2+ years working on a GT for PS4 "rushing".

What Scaff says; they're probably bringing out GT6 end of this year (3/4 years development time), with lots of optimization and extra content etc. Another team is already working on GT7 for 2 years. PS4 begins to sell in 2014. Then in 2015 GT7 (4 years development time). Same scenario as with GT2 - GT3

Interestingly enough GT5P did somethings better than GT5 (visuals in particular) and both are on the same system

Because that's so practical and wouldn't cost anything like thousands of dollars to buy a maxed out PC.

But if you're looking for the best sim-driving option and moneys seemingly no problem (as many have alluded to), why wouldn't you go PC?

You could-

* Buy it today
* Play it today
* Have access to basically any car/track in existence
* Vast choice of differing physics models to suit your tastes
* Run any steering wheel (is your G25 going to be compatible with the PS4?)
* Best sounds out there

Or you could wait for a console that might be good, that might have GT6, which might turn out all right and you just might be able to use your $300 steering wheel to play it.

I have no problems with PD having a go at another more optimized GT title for the PS3, it can only be a good thing for funding more staff to travel the world for content and first hand research, as well as getting/keeping more licences for PS4's GT.

BUT PD must be absolutely on the ball to outperform the the next gen racing titles before it get's too late (like 4 years too late).

PS4 should have it's full Gran Turismo NO later than Summer 2014. I want them to retain the crown for worlds most respected racing simulator title (speaking in terms unit's sold)... and that means completely overhauled physics, sound and the sharpest graphics going. Perfectly doable if you ask me.

Back