Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain

• Thread starter Ddrizle
  • 3,057 comments
Yeah I played all titles except the Acids and Portable Ops, and yes I've watched the trailer too, but I'm not following what you're getting at.:confused:
Well, the game is about Snake (or Big Boss) so how would the story work if you're playing as "other soldiers" really? And what do you mean by "more field work" exactly?

No, actually I haven't. Well I've started playing it but I have not played it through, no. Why, do you play as other characters than Snake in it eh?

Yeah, you capture people with the Fulton Recovery System (like you were supposed to use on Sokolov in MGS3) and they can then be assigned to your combat, R&D, medical, intel or catering staff. It's up to you to choose who goes where depending on their skill levels and you can use anyone you assign to your combat staff, in fact you have to for some Extra Ops and Co-Ops, Snake is an option in others and mandatory for Main Ops.

Yeah, I don't really understand the obsession with having Hayter. I think he went completely of the deep end after Snake Eater. It's like he totally failed to understand that Solid fought against his genetics, but he just played Solid and Naked as having only marginally-different voices. Which was at odds with the way different voice actors were cast as Liquid and Solidus.

Personally, I welcome Sutherland to the role. I see his casting as being representative of being a new direction for the franchise: one that is a little more tightly-plotted, and without being smothered in the self-indulgent philosophy that really let Guns of the Patriots down. I was re-playing Sons of Liberty the other day, and as I was working my way through to President Johnson, I had to marvel at the way his explanation of the Patriots' plans was so poorly-written. Maybe it's just something that was lost in translation, but the damn thing went on forever, repeating itself several times in places. And then the same thing happened when Snake and Otacon described the way the tanker incident was a set-up. That's something that Kojima needs to overcome.

I think that endless repetition is a Japanese thing, I remember reading somewhere that they like to make absolutely sure everyone gets the plot. It kind of backfires with MGS because of the endless retconning and the rats nest of relationships, plot lines and mystery though. I'm playing MGS right now, I had forgotten how funny it is that Snake repeats almost everything anyone says back to them as a question, inviting them to explain it a little more.

The funny thing is with MGS2 I just get confused because I lose track of what I know so when it's repeated again I can't tell if they're restating something I've already heard slightly differently or if it's entirely new information.

In other words, they need to work on how the exposition is delivered. I find when I'm playing a game and it's obvious the only reason a character is telling another something (usually stuff they already know) is so I know what's going on, it kind of kills the immersion. If you were to do it to someone in real life you'd just get looked at like you're an idiot. Of course with a franchise with as much history as Metal Gear has it must be very difficult to handle, but even so, it's over the top at times.

Well seeing that Fox Engine allows the game to be made more or less like a CGI movie and Kojima is buddies with Avi Arad, perhaps his story telling will make that dramatic change we were hoping for these past years.

Especially when Kojima explained he got Kiefer because he wanted Snake to communicate with facial expressions more.

Quiet actress Stefanie Joosten, Kojima & Code Talker
s621cp.jpg

27ywrk0.jpg

2n9ezvq.jpg

98g6iw.jpg

I'm still convinced Quiet is a younger Naomi Hunter when she was traveling around with Gray Fox.

No, I get the impression that Quiet loses her voice when she is tortured, which turns her against MSF/Diamond Dogs - after all, Kaz is present during the torture sessions.

I would've thought it was entirely obvious that after Naomi joined Cipher after Snake killed Grey Fox she had to have facial reconstructive surgery to alter her appearance so that Campbell wouldn't recognise her or something. Also nanomachines and melodrama

/kojimaretcon

i haven't been on this thread much. but has anyone heard the theory of kiefeir sutherland is actually voicing Grey Fox (disguised as Big boss) check the YouTube clip out and let me know what you think
http://youtu.be/tb1WhDdto08

Last edited:
i haven't been on this thread much. but has anyone heard the theory of kiefeir sutherland is actually voicing Grey Fox (disguised as Big boss) check the YouTube clip out and let me know what you think
http://youtu.be/tb1WhDdto08

It certainly seems plausible to me but as I've said before, I still don't get most of the MGS story. I think the fact Keifer voices Ishmael and not Snake in the first trailer is a good point though.

MGS1 illustrations of Miller also shows him having two arms and legs. So i'm not entirely sure what's really going on (whether it's a reboot of the MGS series or what).

I now want to say "The Phantom Pain" is nothing but a chapter of MGSV. All of which happened while he is in a coma...or something.

My head hurts. :lol:

Back