You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
What a certifiably goofy car:

alfa-romeo-8c-2900b-le-mans.jpg

Alfa 8C 2900B Le Mans

Chevy S10/GMC S15 based concepts:

1989 Buick / Chevy Syclone

* Prototype from Buick Division
* 1987 - 231 Grand National engine, estimated 300 hp
* GM 200-4R Transmission
* No Transfer Case, 2wd Truck
* 12 Bolt Chevy Rear Diff 3.73 Gears
* Rear P255/60 on GN 15x8
* Front P225/60 on GN 15x7
* Best Time 12.57@109 mph
* GN hood scoop grafted into S-10 hood
* Stock 12 gallon tank
Turbo_Truck.JPG

199? Sonoma GTX

* Prototype (photo in image gallery)
* "Sportside" all composite rear box
* Magenta with purple accents
* Power sport mirrors
* High polished/chrome billet wheels w/ Firestone tires
* Monochromatic paint scheme (including wipers)
* Midnight black windows
* No antenna
sonoma_gtx_005a.jpg

Typing as I look... I wish they'd persevered with the Mazda RX-500. It had such potential for a 1970. The Isuzu MX1600-II looks almost exactly like something Lamborghini or Maserati would have produced at the time. The Toyota RV-2 could have made an appearance on the Top Gear caravan challenge last season. Is this the first time a car company used the term 'RV'? I assume the boffs at Toyota meant for it to stand for Recreational Vehicle. The Nissan AD-1 looks like a Pontian Fiero and the NX-21 looks really tidy. Something that you would have expected Citroen to produce in the 80's. The Nissan CUE-X reminds me of a Cadillac Allante. The Mitsubishi HSR-II is possibly my favourite Japanese concept car of all-time and I totally forgot about the bonkers Nissan Trailrunner. Oh god, I want one of those Isuzu FL-4's so badly! The car that's missing for me is the awesome Toyota MPV that they made in the early 2000's. I don't remember what it was called but it was white and had a wooden floor in the back IIRC. Also it would have been nice to see the Yamaha OX-99 in there too. Great post there Zenith013!

504_pickup.jpg

Peugeot 504 Pickup. Apparently it was entered in the 1982 Safari Rally as a Group B car (although it originally raced in Group 4). It finished 7th in 1982 and 15th in 1983.

Lot of those Japanese cars look like they were trying to have some of the styling Italians had.
The Toyota EX-1 looks exactly like their rendition of a Daytona.

And Isuzu must have been doing it for the "lulz" with those FL Concepts.

Lamborghini Countach Evoluzione

countach_evoluzione_img01.jpg

Designed mainly by then Lambo employee, Horacio Pagani, the Countach Evoluzione is a basically an carbon/Kevlar Countach. It had a one-piece Kevlar/Carbon tub and a mix of carbinfibre and aluminium panels. It had an uprated 5.2l engine with 500bhp and weighed 390kg(!) less tha a normal Countach.

It was apparantley the first Lambo to break 200mph (in testing at Nardo) and the one car that was completed was all but wrecked in a succesful crash-test. As the procedures and materials were so expensive back then Lambo didn't continue with the work and Mr Pagani was assinged to other, less-interesting projectd (Countach 25th Anniversary). We all know what he did later. :)

I only found out about this earlier and that all I know, if anybody else knows anymore please tell me.

Last edited:
If the last time it was the V16 BMW 7-Series, I didn't know there is even the wagon version of the 7-Series known as the BMW 733i. A blasphemy some BMW fans would say and many others, including us, weren’t aware that one existed.

Apparently, the 733i Wagon was built for display at the Frankfurt Auto Show, features later 2002 taillights and a custom formed roof, and it was 1 of 2 custom made on the BMW assembly line for the purpose. The car is sold for $6,000 in ebay.

bmw_01.jpg

bmw11.jpg

bmw4.jpg

[Pictures courtesy of BMWBLOG.COM]

Really ugly rear, but otherwise pretty cool. I love wagons and I think BMW can make some decent ones.

Hello Chaps , Top thread killed at least 2 hours 👍 . Anyway thought I would share this ,with all the hype at the moment with Aston's Cygnet "City Car"
S7001653.jpg

S7002059.jpg

S7002060.jpg

S7002064.jpg

Its one of 2 left in the UK and is not the Frazer Tickford as seen below but a later version based on the MG Turbo.
S7000411.jpg

AstonMartincars136.jpg

Metro_Saunders_Drawing.jpg

The above is from Simon Saunders of the Arial Atom fame

Somehow, I don't think the aerodynamic airflow lines will go through the car like in that drawing unless it doesn't have a windshield. :lol:

Stumbled upon (actually it appeared in my subscription box) a video of a one wheeled car... or should I say vehicle made in 1964.
Here are some pictures

*thnip*

And here is a model

*Thnap*

and the more interesting video

*thnorp*

Here is a blog where I found the pictures and tells all about it http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/...scopes-charles-taylors-one-wheel-experiments/

Reminds me a bit of these...

http://www.aqpl43.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/TRANSPORT/motorwhl/motorwhl4.htm#mcl

You can actually buy the one in the vid for $8500.

http://www.aqpl43.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/TRANSPORT/motorwhl/motorwhl.htm and here's more of 'em.

Ahh yes, the Isdera Commendatore 112i. Powered by a M-B V12 that put out only 400hp, it could do 205 mph, way back in 1993.

Slightly older folks like me will remember this thing was in Need For Speed II, way back in 1997.

I've always loved the Commendatore, but was it ever produced in any numbers? I really don't know if the thing ever made it into some kind of production or was just a one of a kind proto. Either way, it looks killer.

Click edit in order to avoid double posting. The yellow car definitely appears to be a Diablo with some sort of body kit while the white car looks sort of like a Mosler mt900 but not quite right, probably some sort of small scale track car.

Back