Supercars for Charity 2008

Yesterday I visited the Sepang International Circuit for a charity event organized to collect donations for the recent flood victims in Malaysia. Visitors pay between RM300 to RM1000 (depending on the class of supercars) for a 3-lap taxi ride around the circuit in supercars driven by either the owners themselves or professional race drivers.

Class 1 cars:
Porsches (993, 996, 997) Ferraris (355 & 360) and a BMW M6.

Class 2 cars:
Lamborghini (Gallardo), Aston Martin (DB9), Porsches (996 Turbo & GT2, 997 Turbo & GT3RS), Ferraris (360 Challange Stradale & F430).

Class 3 cars:
Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 & Gemballa Avalanche GTR650.

Earlier event fliers listed an Enzo, F50, Carrera GT and Gemballa Mirage GT as participating cars but to my disappointment those cars were not there. :(

I arrived at the track around 2:30PM. The special supercars parking lot was pretty full of Porsches, ranging from older 911s to 997s, plus a couple of F355s and some other cars...

12491917ma3.jpg

13498508vz6.jpg

50361785re3.jpg

12ch2.jpg

13kt1.jpg

65320925zt6.jpg

50639532np6.jpg

...plus this lovely beast. :drool:

87399190de8.jpg

65976697gu3.jpg

14vv6.jpg

After spending quite some time in the parking lot, I headed straight to the pits and was greeted with this lovely view:

12281428ye5.jpg

15ii1.jpg

I don't think the driver of the Murcie floored it as he left the pits, as the car sounded pretty muted. However, once he drove past the main straight the car sounded absolutely thunderous. Personally, I think the loudest cars on that day was the Gallardo, Hamann 360 and the 360CS.

93471402sw5.jpg

10la4.jpg

11ka7.jpg

Hope you guys like the pics, my apologies if the write-up isn't great. I'll post more pics soon.

Ferrari F430 Spider

Lamborghini Murcielago LP640

Lamborghini Gallardo Spider

Peugeot 207 Spider

Porsche Cayman S

Dinner time... I'll post more later or tomorrow. Hope you guys enjoyed the pics so far!

Dinner...oh, yeah. You're on the other side of the world.

nice cars! Some reason the tuners caught my interest more than anything.

Oh..... god dammit!!!! :banghead:

Shan, you should have told me earlier!!!! I was so totally free on that Sunday.... (oh wait, I had a wedding to attend that day..... :banghead:) You should have come to my house and picked me up and go together. :lol: Yeah, Sepang do have some interesting things happening at times, but its just goes unnoticed at times. Nice sets of photos by the way, that Peugeot 207 Spider and the Gemballa Avalanche GT650 looks like in a league of its own. :drool: 👍 You must have a good time there... So did you manage to get a ride in one of those cars? :D

I should be thankful I wasn't there - my bank ballance would be crushed, that's for sure.

Some damn hot cars there, must have been a hell of a day.

Great pics!

Great photos! What a day you must have had. Very jealous! Next time, PM me and I'll hop on the next plane over, I only need a few hours notice. ;)

So did you manage to get a ride in one of those cars? :D

Yup, I did! I was a passenger in this 996 Carrera 4S cabriolet:

996cabge2.jpg

Great pics. How much is that in USD?

As Joey pointed out, it's between $95 to $310.

Rue
Great photos! What a day you must have had. Very jealous! Next time, PM me and I'll hop on the next plane over, I only need a few hours notice. ;)

Will do! ;)

Looks like Remy Zero from FChat wasn't the only one there, then. Great pics. 👍

*representing GTP* :sly:

Thanks for the kind words everyone! :)

Here's the next set of pics:

Porsche 996 GT2

996gt2og4.jpg

996gt21an1.jpg

Lotus Elise Mk1

elisemk1zn1.jpg

Lotus Exige S - the most hardworking car for the day. Completed a total of 51 laps on 1 set of tires and brake pads.

Ferrari F355

f3551cv4.jpg

f3552vl2.jpg

Porsche 993 GT2

993gt21ji7.jpg

More pics later... :dopey:

The 996 GT2 is great, but the 993...now that's just a whole 'nother vehicle in my books. 👍

The price of the rides though, seems pretty high, esp. for a charity run. But it looks like there was still a large turnout which is what counts.

Sweet pics. Invisi-Rep:tup:

I think I found my dream colour combo for the LP640. White with the Stock wheels painted white! I never seen that combo before and now I'm in shock! It looks so innocent yet sinister at the same time!:drool: Also, that Gemballa looks intensely awesome!

The price of the rides though, seems pretty high, esp. for a charity run. But it looks like there was still a large turnout which is what counts.

I thought so too. I reckon if they had a larger number of participating cars (there were alot of cars there but I don't think alot of owners were keen on tracking their car) and made it at least a bit cheaper, they would've had far more people donating.

Last bunch of pics...

Caterham Super 7 - Although the driver did not participate, I've seen this same car at a previous track event 3 years back. Very loud!

cats7kt8.jpg

BMW E92 M3

e92m3hb7.jpg

Porsche 997

997tn1.jpg

Porsche 993 Turbo

993carrerayr6.jpg

...and me trying my best at creating a good photograph. :P

Man, why can't stuff like this happen in NZ?

I'd pay good money to have a ride in that 360CS or one of the LP640s with a guy who knows his stuff pedalling it.

At the classic meeting at Manfield, the NZ Ferrari club does laps during the lunch break for a gold coin. A gold coin!

You could have your 360CS there. :D I went in a 550 Barchetta - only one in the country.

This was almost 10 years ago now. I hope they still do it.

WTF? A BMW E92 M3 is already sold here? :banghead: *sigh* What am I missing out there!!!! I haven't seen newer cars around here lately, so obviously I need to go out more often now..... :(

At the classic meeting at Manfield, the NZ Ferrari club does laps during the lunch break for a gold coin. A gold coin!

You could have your 360CS there. :D I went in a 550 Barchetta - only one in the country.

This was almost 10 years ago now. I hope they still do it.

That sounds pretty cool, especially for a gold coin. I should keep watch on the ads for race meets more closely. I don't think I've been to Manfield in about 10 years, I've more frequently visited Pukekohe.

I don't think I'd even see a 360CS though, I didn't know there were any in the country. Unless you know something I don't.....

... I don't think I'd even see a 360CS though, I didn't know there were any in the country. Unless you know something I don't.....
Hell yes!

A few years back the Ferrari Club had a night at a Hotel in town here. The carpark was overflowing with Scuderia. :drool: I recall there being three of them all parked next to each other.

WTF? A BMW E92 M3 is already sold here? :banghead: *sigh* What am I missing out there!!!! I haven't seen newer cars around here lately, so obviously I need to go out more often now..... :(

Yep that M3 is awesome, Ive only seen one in my life and ive already fallen in love :drool:

Back