GT5P on SDTV

• Thread starter Mr. Boy
  • 34 comments
Do you mean without HDMI lead?

Only HDTV's have HDMI inputs, so this question/statement is void.

I have played it on a 32" SDTV via an RGB Scart lead (best quality you'll get on a SDTV) and it looks VERY good! Looks WAY better than GT4 does on an SDTV via an RGB Scart lead.

I have also played it on a 40" 1080i Bravia and it looks WAAAAYY better than on the SDTV, but thats to be expected!

Try it out on an SDTV and you'll be very pleasently surprised.

Im playing with a panasonic 27" 1080i LCD i started playing without the HDMI leads, and was still amazed now i have HDMI leads tho but not really to much differents just lost more in detail really...

if your play on a really old T.V then it might change alittle, but as long has u have LCD or Plasma you will do ok

If the demo was anything to go by, graphic-wise, it looks gorgeous on a SDTV. Of course it will look better on HD (720 or 1080), but even on a SD device, like my Samsung 32", looks incredible.

And if you have a good surround system with your SDTV, the experience is nothing short of playing the game on 1080p with a simple pair of stereo speakers.

Looks gooed, but somehow part of the picture is missing left and right. Anyone else have this, I can't change this in GT5P where I could change it in GT4

I've been playing it on a 28" Samsung SD with 4:3 aspect ratio on 576i (the highest PAL SD). It looks fantastic. Obviously not as good as on a HDTV but still an obvious improvement over GT4.

Like Sjef said, I'm suffering a slight cropping of the image, but i think that's due to the aspect ratio. I don't think that it should be a problem if playin on a widescreen.

I play it on a 32" Sony SDTV with a S-Video cable. Picture quality is excellent.

Do not use the cable provided with the PS3. It is a composite video cable = very bad picture quality. Use a S-Video or RGB cable instead.

It still looks great with the composite cable, maybe i'll buy a scart cable when they will cost less than 20 euro.

I use a 25" Sony SDTV, 4:3 ratio using the out-of-the-box cable and it still looks fantastic, miles better than how GT4 looks. I wasn't sure how much of an improvement the PS3 would be over the PS2 on a SDTV, having previously only seen PS3's played through HDTV's, but it's quite incredible how much better the PS3 actually is. Can't wait to try GT5:P on a nice big HDTV.

Same here, GT5:P looks great on my 32" Sony Wega SDTV. But then, when I first started playing driving games, the road was black, and the edges of the tracks were marked with white posts! Anything better than that is good enough for me!

Im playing with a panasonic 27" 1080i LCD i started playing without the HDMI leads, and was still amazed now i have HDMI leads tho but not really to much differents just lost more in detail really...

if your play on a really old T.V then it might change alittle, but as long has u have LCD or Plasma you will do ok

So you think that using the standard 3-pin composite (Yellow, Red & White) looks similar to the picture of a HDMI cable?!

If so then you either need to get your eyes checked or your TV fixed! I have played it on a 32" SDTV in my room (CRT) and a 40" HDTV in the living room (1080i) using both the RGB on the HDTV and the HDMI on the HDTV and when using RGB scart on the HDTV it actually looks worse than the SDTV!!

But when you plug in the HDMI to the HDTV it makes a HUGE difference!

And as for

but as long has u have LCD or Plasma you will do ok

You dont get many SD LCD TV's, and non at all that are Plasma! Even the LCD's that are SD dont come in sizes much bigger than 15"!

So I dont see why your asking him about HDMI leads and LCD's/Plasmas when its pretty obvious the guy has a standard CRT SDTV!

It still looks great with the composite cable, maybe i'll buy a scart cable when they will cost less than 20 euro.

be carefull with cheap scart cables fruitcake....if its a "remake" or "made in taiwan".....you know what i meen:sly:
there is a big chance you will loose quality!
the materials which are sometimes used can be realy bad,and spending just a couple of buks more will surely pay out!!:)
spyrrari.

i seen the game on a few HDTVs and sadly i think it looks terrible .
GT5 prologue has no anti-aliasing and its clearly seen in HD, i have a standard tv and i reckon it looks better , btw most of my friends think the same way

I've been playing it on a 28" Samsung SD with 4:3 aspect ratio on 576i (the highest PAL SD). It looks fantastic. Obviously not as good as on a HDTV but still an obvious improvement over GT4.

Like Sjef said, I'm suffering a slight cropping of the image, but i think that's due to the aspect ratio. I don't think that it should be a problem if playin on a widescreen.

Strange thing is: I am playing on a widescreen TV, but still there's cropping:ill:

Strange thing is: I am playing on a widescreen TV, but still there's cropping:ill:

Yea, I get that too on the 32" widescreen SDTV in my room, but doesn't do it with the 40" HDTV downstairs.

I find its worse with the JPN version than the EU version. However changing the aspect ratio to 14:9 fixes it, but leaves 2 black borders on either side of the picture! :grumpy:

I'm playing with my old 42" LG Plasma TV in 480p with component cable.
It still looks great (although jaggies are everywhere around the screen.. :P)
and I enjoy playing it very much! :D:tup:

I play on an SD 21" Sony and it looks great!..... although you wont really get the clarity of HD...

I'm playing with my old 42" LG Plasma TV in 480p with component cable.
It still looks great (although jaggies are everywhere around the screen.. :P)
and I enjoy playing it very much! :D:tup:

using 480p composite (you said component, but component are HD leads that give you 720p, 1080i and 1080p) on a 42" HDTV?!?!?!?!?!

Thats blasphemy!! Go out and buy a HDMI or component lead now!

Not all plasma screen's are HD ;)

hmm, just did a quick google search and you appear to be right! I was under the impression that all plasmas were HD and only the small (15" - 22") LCDs were not HD.

Anyway, I dont like plasmas cos the gas can leak and you have to pay £50-odd to get them refilled! LCD all the way!

I play it on a 32" Sony SDTV with a S-Video cable. Picture quality is excellent.

Do not use the cable provided with the PS3. It is a composite video cable = very bad picture quality. Use a S-Video or RGB cable instead.
So I'll have to get an s-video or rgb cable separately?

using 480p composite (you said component, but component are HD leads that give you 720p, 1080i and 1080p) on a 42" HDTV?!?!?!?!?!

Thats blasphemy!! Go out and buy a HDMI or component lead now!

Sorry man.. I might not make myself clear enough.. :dopey:
My LG Plasma TV is a terrible old model, seems like 2003 or 2004 model.
And it doesn't support HDMI input. So its maximum resolution is doing 480p with a component cable. :P

So I'll have to get an s-video or rgb cable separately?

Yes. You can use a PS2 RGB or S-Video cable too. It's the same thing.

On my SD TV, small text in the game is almost unreadable with the stock composite cable. It's perfectly crisp with S-Video or RGB.

RGB wins all over S-video, the difference is in the colors/contrast mainly. S-video has the same superficial colors and resolution as Composite. RGB is the only way to get the image straight out of the console to the screen, RGB is the same as D-Sub/RGB conection on PC screens. The colors appear very deep and contrast is very good also, bright places are brighter and dark places are darker. Also S-video's red and yellow color reproduction is very poor, the upside of S-video is cleaner and sharper picture compared to composite.

Back