correcting slides with G25/DFP

does anyone else find it almost impossible to correct a fairly big ish slide using a DFP or G25 wheel.
with a controller its alot easier to correct it obviosuly as lock to lock is such a short distance.
Is there a nack to it or like i said is it just near impossible!

Turning on powered steering could help, but if your entrance speed is too high, nothing will.

One thing you could try though: bring up the front brake bias so you can lock up the front tires. This could force a spin into a slide. But f you slide it 90 degrees, you have traction loss on all 4 tires, hence no way to control your car.

Using the controller is also easier because of automatic steering correction. With a wheel you don´t have this.

It's not impossible, but can be tricky at first.

I use a G25 and it took me about a day of practice until i felt comfortable with it.

Here are two vids i made:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=DDpR2aqfok4&fmt=18

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=6qWdV95axn0&fmt=18

I'm driving with the G25 in those vids. So as you can see, it is not impossible. :)

It's hard to give good tips on how to do it... most of it really is just practice. However...

When you start sliding, try to let the wheel point itself to the right direction... this means, the wheel will naturally countersteer for you (talking about the G25 here). The bigger problem is to find the right moment to countersteer back... as in "pointing your front wheels in a straight direction again". You also have to be quite quick with that. But after some practice you'll get the hang of it. 👍

You can also find videos on youtube where you see people using the G25 while drifting (actually showing the wheel and how they operate it). Those might give you an idea of how to do it aswell.

Good luck! :)

Haha, wasn't my intention. :dopey:

Drifting on 900 deg is a long term process. I've been driving on 720/900 degrees in LFS since 2003, so that has helped quite some bit. All the same "tricks" work in GT5P as they do in LFS.

I would like to have a possibility to change the handbrake button on G25 in GT5P though. I have a second G25 from which I use the shifter in sequential mode as an handbrake in other sims.

thanks for the replys lads.. think i need more practice lol...
havent had i tlong mind u.. (i have DFP)
(Helseth did you make that stand in you avatar by the way)

how do we now that this is acually sim mode with all the aids off? (no dissrespect indtended) i just mean all the drift videos we se its no way to know if people actually uses sim mode with all aids off, or they "cheat" to show off

Is it Ola? ;)

Drifting on 900 deg is a long term process. I've been driving on 720/900 degrees in LFS since 2003, so that has helped quite some bit. All the same "tricks" work in GT5P as they do in LFS.
That could mean that the physics engine in GT5p isn't really that bad.

Every LFS-fan is claiming that it has almost a true physics engine and is better than the GT series.

:)

Hey there, Jonas. :)

Drifting on G25 is pretty easy on simulation mode without any helps.

http://nismo.1g.fi/kuvat/gt5touge.avi
http://nismo.1g.fi/kuvat/gt5p-drifting.avi
this is awesome to see. I just bought a G25 about 4 hours ago and will go to my mates house to try it out. What settings do you use for the wheel (steering assist etc) and also for the cars (what tyres/suspension/steering angle etc). Your help is greatly appreciated as using the old DFP was doing my head in.

how do we now that this is acually sim mode with all the aids off? (no dissrespect indtended) i just mean all the drift videos we se its no way to know if people actually uses sim mode with all aids off, or they "cheat" to show off

Trust me, I have a lot better things to do than trying to "show off" using arcade modes on a game on the internet. :D

I actually think PD should take out the arcade mode and steering aids completely from GT5. ABS included.

To reply to the post above, I use the stock FFB setting of 5 and no power assist, all aids off. I use normal tires mainly, N3's on front and depending on cars power, either N1 or N2 in the back.

To reply to the post above, I use the stock FFB setting of 5 and no power assist, all aids off. I use normal tires mainly, N3's on front and depending on cars power, either N1 or N2 in the back.

thanks mate, I will try this 👍 Have you seen the video on youtube of BreakerOhio's wheelwork.....it seems to spin in his hands alot quicker, maybe his G25 isnt standard. People also mention setting the steering angle to MAX, is that what you do????

Nope, haven't seen his videos. I could turn my G25 faster, but I prefer to drift in a more relaxed way.

Yeah, I naturally set the steering lock to max also. Helps you avoid running out of angle. I actually praise GT5P for the possibility of 50 degrees of steering lock. It's one of those things that might eventually lead me to abandon LFS if it won't receive more steering lock. :scared:

I didn't use max steering lock so far... tried it one time, but it's simply that i think it looks quite stupid to see the car with the front wheels at full lock (50 degrees)... that's why i keep it at 40 degrees. :D

By the way... how do you change your tires?! I have unlocked the quick tune thing, but no matter where i try... i cannot change the tires. The option is inactive everywhere i try (races, arcade mode (arcade mode doesnt even allow me to use quick tune). :grumpy:

Well, D1GP cars have 50+ degrees of lock, so I don't think it looks too wrong. I hardly go to max lock either, it just helps with the feints at lower angles too.

No clue why they took out the QTS from time trial. Now I simply use the arcade single race mode, infinite laps and then I stop and wait till all cars have passed me. After that it's dorifto time. :)

No clue why they took out the QTS from time trial. Now I simply use the arcade single race mode, infinite laps and then I stop and wait till all cars have passed me. After that it's dorifto time. :)

Yeah, it was pretty stupid, because before i did the update, it was there. Wouldn't have hurt anybody to leave it there. Nobody was forced to use it. 💡

Thanks for the tip with the arcade race, i'll give that a try. 👍

So far i've used to drift in the career races... same technique... let them get ahead of you, wait a little, then it's drifting time. Only that it was over again after a few laps. :P

PS: Very nice drifting Toni (posted a comment about it already, but it probably got lost somewhere since the post was waiting to be approved by a moderator)! Looks like you're enjoying the game. :D

PS: Very nice drifting Toni (posted a comment about it already, but it probably got lost somewhere since the post was waiting to be approved by a moderator)! Looks like you're enjoying the game. :D

Same to you mate. Now if only we would get those bloody private multiplayer rooms already, we could do a drift event in the future. :)

Been having a hard time with drifting myself with the g25. I constantly get snappy oversteer, and have no clue how to keep the car sliding even though Ive tried clutchkicking and every throttleangle possible to man. Now I mainly try to drift for maybe 5-6 laps / tries, then flip out of anger and let it stay for a while. Guess Ive been trying for 3ish hours now and Im still not anywhere near a nice slide. Im still hoping / praying its got something to do with the euro version vs the japanese version, but I suspect I just need silly amounts of training pulling off slides. Any suggestions on what track is best for practicing drifting and what car? I wish there was some huge parkinglot where you could just try to practice drifting round and round.

i would say eiger is good, there are lots of turns and only 2 short straights. The other choice is suzuka short course but its got sand traps so if you screw up you end up in one.

Suzuka short is pretty good for practice. It has not too fast and "friendly" corners for drifting. Regarding the "parking lot", have a look at the Daytona "Oval" (is it called oval in game?) track. There is a pretty big tarmac spot next to the track somewhere, which could be seen as a huge parking lot. Should be perfect for practice, which is really all you need to do.

PS: The car choice is a factor aswell of course. Some cars are more friendly to drift than others. The F430 and the F40 are pretty good for that. If you cannot drift with those, you'll have a hard time with other cars for sure.

Nope, haven't seen his videos. I could turn my G25 faster, but I prefer to drift in a more relaxed way.

Yeah, I naturally set the steering lock to max also. Helps you avoid running out of angle. I actually praise GT5P for the possibility of 50 degrees of steering lock. It's one of those things that might eventually lead me to abandon LFS if it won't receive more steering lock. :scared:
I totally love GT5p (thanks for the tips Matrixi:tup:) only bcause the G25 has changed the feel altogether over the DFP.Now I can drift with the pro's as the G25 spins comfortably in my hands and seems to tame the loopiness of many of the cars. Its this newfound controll that has endered me to GT5p's physics.....being able to snap (flat shift) 2nd gear in the M3 and fishtale for 50 metres with not too much trouble........heel and toeing so as to contain compresion lock.....etc. This game still lacks the body roll and weight transfer aspect of EPR, the doenut capabilites of FM2 but overall I am now pleased very much.

Back