G25 vs Fanatec 911

• Thread starter MuRRe
  • 32 comments
Sweden
@Home
WTF-MuRRe
Hi!
Im a BIG fan of GT and since I got my PS3 last week (bundled with GT5P) I'm even more in love.

To the point though.
My brother bought a G25 which arrived today.
My question is if it was a mistake. I found out there is another Steering wheel called Fanatec 911 that I have now been reading and also checking some vidoes on it.
So, is this a better one (he would have to pay another 160 dollars) and was it a mistake to buy the G25?

Thnx in advance
MuRRe

i wouldnt say buying a g25 was a mistake as its surrposed to be the best wheel out i wouldnt think the 911 wheel could be that much better

I was just coming here to ask the same question ...

Have had a G25 for a while now and i was thinking about an upgrade to the 911 wheel.

Is it worth it? my G25 looks likes its new and has never put a foot wrong

I think there is something wrong with the Wheel.
While playing The oval course and if i turn a little on the straight the wheel starts wobbling back and forth.
Is it faulty?

Hard to say which one you would preferr but I would definiatly feel that if I bought the G25 and then tested the 911 I would have made a misstake for sure.

If it´s worth it to upgrade it´s up to you of course. If it ain´t broken don´t fix it . G25 worked for me prior to testing the 911 now it´s not working that well I am being annoyed by the poor grip, the lack of force feedback in the center, the non existing resistance at times and overall the unrealistic feel of it. If you don´t care about feel just want a wheel that has great precision and easy to use the G25 is a good choice since it´s definiatly less fatiguing than the fanatec 911 wheel. I also enjoy having a sequential because I couldn´t use the G25 shifters sequential feature and there is better feel in the H-shifter as well.

As for pedals guess there will be as many who preferr G25s pedal and vice versa I will have to wait until I get my cockpit but I will probably end up using my 911 wheel with the G25 nixim progressive brake modded pedals for my sims and the fanatec pedal for my arcade racing games where I want to rest my brake leg a little and don´t need the feel the nixim modded G25 pedals gives me :).

So if it´s worth to upgrade I don´t think you will regret you did it if you do it´s definiatly an upgrade over the G25. One big plus as a console wheel is it´s OSD that lets you adjust 180/360/900 steering directly and adjust force feedback and it´s buttons on the wheel not the shifter.

So if money isn't the "problem" you would def. go for the 911 then???

We have been playing with the G25 alot and i think its really nice but since he already got it , it would be more fun to get the 911.

So total the 911 is better (although I think the general opinion is that the G25 is best value and 911 is the high end of steering wheel, right?)???

Personally there is no doubt I preferr the 911 wheel and I don´t have much use of the G25 any longer. It just "feels cheap". Now I didn´t pay 350€ for mine but well I payed more if you take into my G25 in total lol. If I would sell the G25 and 911 wheel I would rebuy the 911 wheel for sure. Not because it is more precise or faster or anything but because the feel and immersion of it. G25 is for sure very precise. Absolutely no deadzones on the pedals and the wheel is very precise as well. And with it´s weaker force feedback you can get away with a much more aggressive driving style. But for me I want as good feel as I can get I have more fun with the 911 wheel and the lap times I do is quite similar. As for build quality I can´t say of course. I know my G25 wheel and pedals have hold up well though the springs got a lot softer but that´s normal. The Fanatec wheel certainly looks like it´s nicely built but this I can´t say with so little time at hand. But since you have a 2 year warranty don´t see a reason not to take a chance on this. If you don´t like it you could probably sell it and afford a G25 but I have a hard time see that coming :)

the comments for the youtube video are funny. just because people like one wheel, they have to bash another. :P

I think there is something wrong with the Wheel.
While playing The oval course and if i turn a little on the straight the wheel starts wobbling back and forth.
Is it faulty?

I think that's normal (unless my DFP is faulty too), you just have to be more firm with it and push the wheel into the turn more. You could also try reducing the force feedback strength in the options menu. I think it happens because the force feedback motor pushes it against you, so if you don't push back against it hard enough it'll go back the other way by itself, then think you're steering that way and will push against you again, and ends up just fighting itself. I amuse myself sometimes by pulling suddenly in one direction then letting go of the wheel, then laugh as the steering wheel goes clockwise then anti-clockwise for a while before the car spins and I lose the race.

Yeah, great fun.

Then again, you and I might both have faulty products, but I don't think we do.

Yeah
I figured it out a couple of days.
Like u said i corrected it by putting down the force feedback, but thnx for your reply.

After some weeks with my G25 collecting dust I thought it would be funny to see how it feels again.

I don´t feel like being diplomatic at the moment.
I must say I felt castrated sitting with this toy wheel with it´s odd self centering and thin grip. I also missed quite a lot of force feedback effects. Like wheel getting loose when locking the brakes and in GRID I get a great vibe when changing gears which just doesn´t exist on the G25 either. Talk about force feedback deadzone :( If you want something that feels realistic G25 is definiatly not the way to go. Did some hot lapping to see if I was faster with one or the other I thought I would maybe be faster with the G25 since it´s a bit easier going and smaller wheel easier to turn but I tried the G25 with the 911 pedals and vice versa and clean G25 and clean 911 I can´t say I was faster with one or the other which was surprising because how different the feel was. But you can´t drive by the feel then you just go to slow anyway :D

As for pedals I run nixim modded brake pedals and don´t have my cockpit yet so can´t use them fully but one thing I have noticed after running the 911 pedals is that there is sharp edges on the G25 pedals. Also the throttle and brake are to close to eachother. I do like the pedal placement better on the 911 wheel for sure.

To sum it up the 911 feels a lot more like driving a real car while the G25 keep reminding you that you are just doing simracing all the time. That said it´s of course not terrible to drive with the G25 when you have used it for a while but I don´t see any reason to buy it the 911 is worth the difference in price :)

I have just one question....does either one of them have Force feedback or any vibrations at all on the shifter? Cause the last time I checked in a real car....you do get a vibration on the shifter.....I mean come on....both of them are really good...but If I am about to pay this kinda money they ought implement some sort of vibration or feedback in to the shifter itself you know......don't you all agree?

no, neither wheel has force feedback shifters. relatively speaking, the g25 and 911 arent expensive wheels. i mean, the Frex wheel is over $1,000.

As soon as i save up enough money, i'm buying the 911 retail wheel.

no, neither wheel has force feedback shifters. relatively speaking, the g25 and 911 arent expensive wheels. i mean, the Frex wheel is over $1,000.

As soon as i save up enough money, i'm buying the 911 retail wheel.

So I rather just buy the Official one...it's cheaper plus it will get the job done. I mean giving $100 dollars more for a clutch and 6 speed but still no FFB on the shifter is a no go for me. Logitech better implement this on later models.

So I rather just buy the Official one...it's cheaper plus it will get the job done. I mean giving $100 dollars more for a clutch and 6 speed but still no FFB on the shifter is a no go for me. Logitech better implement this on later models.

My real car's shifter doesn't have anything like force feedback. Once you get the clutch pushed in you just shift the gear. If the clutch isn't all the way in you can't shift gears. I can shift with one finger. You really don't even have to push much harder than the g25's shifter.
Why would you want force feedback with the shifter? Maybe a gate of some sort that has to open to let the shifter move when the clutch is depressed, but why the need for force feedback. And if it did have force feedback how would it work?

My real car's shifter doesn't have anything like force feedback. Once you get the clutch pushed in you just shift the gear. If the clutch isn't all the way in you can't shift gears. I can shift with one finger. You really don't even have to push much harder than the g25's shifter.
Why would you want force feedback with the shifter? Maybe a gate of some sort that has to open to let the shifter move when the clutch is depressed, but why the need for force feedback. And if it did have force feedback how would it work?

It would make it more realistic and trust me it would put smiles cause then.....you could say " Wow it feels like just a real car does"

You telling me that when you turn on your car you don't feel no vibration at all on your shifter? My God even my dad's Z06's got that....hum!

Force feedback on the shifter would just create too much strain on parts. So unless you want to drive all the way back to the shop, have your whole wheel sent away for about a week to get fixed, drive all the way back to pick it up, finding out you have to pay for fixing the wheel, because it was actually you who broke it, take it home and repeat the process, until you abandon the whole idea of force feedback on a shifter. I'd suggest you do just that. Abandon the whole idea

Humm.....you might think that I am crazy....but mark my words....they will implement some sort of vibration to the shifter! :P

Humm.....you might think that I am crazy....but mark my words....they will implement some sort of vibration to the shifter! :P

I would rather them make a pressure based sensor on the brake rather than worry about shifter vibration.

yeah that would be MUCH more important ;D it would revolutionize sim braking. actually, there are pressure sensative brakes already, but no force feedback brakes as far as i know.

Its funny that he brings up the shifter but not brake :D

yes and then they can implement an ignition with key, that has force feedback so it feels like you really are turning the key :P :dopey:

That last suggestion would actually be pretty cool. However there is few racing games that doesn´t start with the engine already running. But TDU it would work with and of course the ISI titles at least have keys for ignition and starter.

I wouldn´t pay for it but it would been a nice extra lol. Force feedback shifter I am sorry it would be awesome if you just couldn´t get into the gears without proper use of clutch on that part I agree but on this price level you can forget about these things really.

As for force feedback brakes there is none but there is vibebrake from Frex for example to complement the hydrobrake. Not force feedback to simulate ABS and such. But look at what the pedals with load cells cost and you understand why it´s not here. These may seem expensive compared to budget wheels but you can see the difference in the wheel itself, the pedals and the shifter. If it´s worth it I can´t answer for you for me it definiatly is :) The Frex, VPP wheels I can never justify to myself though

I would rather them make a pressure based sensor on the brake rather than worry about shifter vibration.

X2 on that! Completely forgot that. I mean I just saying that for prize wise and a good simulation needs all this. I mean I can see in my head if they did that.....it would be insane and if it was prized around $300 $350 I think people would just go for it. G25 is a great wheel and so is 911 (better in my opnion) but they still miss alot things to make they set apart from the rest.

Vibration would be pretty cool, if it was very subtle. The thing I want is to not be able to move the shifter without pushing in the clutch. You would think it would be easy to implement. Just some sort of gate in the shifter that opens every time you push in the clutch. That way you could feel your transmission slip into gear.

The thing I want is to not be able to move the shifter without pushing in the clutch.

But you can move the shifter around without the clutch in real life, even in and out of gear.

But you can move the shifter around without the clutch in real life, even in and out of gear.

You can, but it takes a good bit of effort. It doesn't just slide out of gear, you have to pull it pretty hard without the clutch pressed in.

You can, but it takes a good bit of effort. It doesn't just slide out of gear, you have to pull it pretty hard without the clutch pressed in.

Yeah but that depends on what the engine is doing, add some slight throttle (stopping the car from accel or de-accel) and it will slide out nicely, rev match and it will slide back in nicely.

Adding a complete gate lock-out is not only a little overkill but really I am more concerned about reliability when barely missing quick shifts and cost.

Back