''How to'' G25 Custom Handbrake (STDcar + Rally/Drift Style) + Momo Wheel Mod

• Thread starter HackiRoku
  • 37 comments
Canada
(Quebec)Canada
Hacki_Roku
Logitech G25 Racing Wheel Custom Handbrake ''How to''

First of all, i have to say that im not good enough in english to explain all this so ive take the google transalator to do it, so if you see some words your not sure about it or something you simply dont understand, feel free to contact me, its gonna be a pleasure to help you, thats the main goal of all this so....

Materials
- Handbrake (easily found for cheap in a scrap yard)
- Limit switch (normally closed (inside connection)) (usually comes with the hand brake)
- Spring (for the simulation of the car cables)
- Threaded connection size twisted # 22 (very important that either twisted)
- Terminal males and females
- Pewter
- Electrical Tape
- Screw

Principals tools

- Drill
- Saw (manual and / or electric)
- Jig saw or small hand saw
- Soldering Iron
- Screwdrivers
- Precision Screwdrivers
- Allen key

The Approach

Firstly what you want to do is the electrical connections (2), before going on with the rest of the projet, because I must confess that there is some risk, we talk to weld to an electronic circuit. Some experience is required, otherwise if you have an old phone or any electronics things, it could help you practice before making the connection on the shifter of the G25.

So once you're ready, start by disassembling the shifter of the G25

Step # 01 - Uninstall bindings
Step # 02 - You will see at the back of the shifter a series of screws attaching the two part of the whole box, remove all
Step # 03 - Remove the cap on top of the knob which gives you access to uninstall it, remove it
Step # 04 - Remove the 6 allen screws around the shift lever to remove the leather over
Step # 05 - You now have access to another set of screws, remove them all

Now you are ready to remove the cover that give you acces to the electronic chart. Note that I prefer to weld in place instead of disconnecting the connections behind (3), ive got a foot welders to do it, so ive take the safe way to do it.

Now if you look closely the next two photos you will see where to welds. To explain simply, the path from the bottom of the electronic card (left in photo) is your main power supplying the 4 buttons on the top of the shifter, the X, O, Triangle and square. What we want is to add in parallel to the''O''button and the main path of our current limit switch for the handbrake, then you see the small path leading from the''O''button and going in the center right of the map (bottom in photo) that it is the second we want welded.

Welding Procedure

First you will see that there is a thin plastic film over your electronics. With a precision screwdriver flat head, gently scrach surface path to reveal like shown on the photo about 1 centimeter of the electrcal path, once the copper is visible assure you that it is clean and without dust. now you must prepare your wires, you will understand why the twisted type cables is use instead of the solid type, cut the length desired, unsheathe about 1 centimeter and twist it, it is important to tinned your wires itselft before welding it to the card, it will help a lot of welding, and make it even stronger.

Tinned

Take your wires and after a few seconds the heat with your soldering iron, then aplique the tin, but not directly to iron but on the thread itself, if it is warm enough, the tin is a cross repend full thread and uniformly to make a good ''hot'' weld. The same technique will be used to weld on the electronic card.

Final welding

Place your iron on the path of copper discovered making sure to have your wire rdy in the other, wait a few seconds and remove the iron, then place your wire at the location where you heat and place your iron over it, wait a few seconds before puting a little tin over the wire and the connection, again if you have heat it enough like the wire in the tinned part, the tin will go uniformly to both the wire and the card path. Then a simple piece of tape to avoid the displacement of the wire, which could cause a break of your welding with the constant vibration made by frequent changes of speed. The final part of the tricky part of the Mod, ou have to drill a hole to exit the wires at the desired location.

Now as far as the mechanism which activates your limit switch, the possibilities are endless, it really depends on you, you can use a handbrake standrad car, or make more a rally / drift style handbrake, or simply do a custom one to your liking. For my part, I opt for the look and feeling of a handbrake of a standard car, here are some pictures of the assembly to give you some ideas

Hi again,

[Mod#003] - G25 wheel change for a MOMO (enginering)

This Modification is probably the most ''hardcore mod'' you can perform on your G25. First thing you wanna know is what kind of wheel will fit on your G25.... no one, reason is, the allen bolt pattern is not the same as real racing wheel, so the simple way to do it is buying a wheel who do not have hole already drill on it, but that kind of wheel are pretty normal and ugly compare to the stock G25, instead, if your a big fan of F1 or any kind of formula cup, you want to check the Momo Mod 12C, best easy wheel to install on a G25. Ive already seen this mod, and its looks fantastic. But heres a IMPORTANT info you gotta keep in mind, dont install a wheel more heavier than the G25, this will surely cause the FFB to lose his force and broke over a long period, i dont have the exact wight of the G25 wheel, but the Racing wheel i bought to replace it weight 2,55 lbs, and i cant tell the difference between each other, so keep your wheel under 2,5 lbs and it would be allright.

Now the second important thing you wanna know is, G25 6 allen bolt diameter is 1,97 inches, and all racing wheel on market got a 6 allen bolt diameter of 2,75 inches, so thats why you need little of enginering. you will need this special part that we can call a ''G25 Adapter'', a special thanks to Jungletouff from GTC to provinding his own design of a perfect ''G25 adapter''

Now some advices before taking off your G25 wheels. The important thing is to make sure when you have unsrew the 6 allen bolt to not release the wheel, is still four tinny wire who connect the 2 bottom wheel to an electronic chart inside the center of the wheel. The only tips i can give you here is to got an extra pair of hand to hold the wheel when you unplug gently these wire from the chart, you can do it without unsrew the electronic chart from the G25, but if you dont feel comfortable with it, simply unsrew the single screw in the center and you will see another plug behing going in the G25 itself, this extra lenght of wire will give you enough space to unplug those wire from the wheel, heres some photo ive take of mine.

I finally got my piece and my brand new G25 to complete mod#03-04

Heres some photos

Last edited:
Nice work - is this an analogue hand brake or a digital one?

(Is the button on the G25 analogue or digital?)

C.

PS - a couple of things to help some people understand...

"Pewter" = "Solder" (i.e. the stuff that you are melting to solder)
"Weld" = "Solder"/"Soldering"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solder

Very nice. I am thinking of doing something very similar.

;)

thanks, add your ebrake mod here if you want too when its done

Nice work - is this an analogue hand brake or a digital one?

(Is the button on the G25 analogue or digital?)

C.

PS - a couple of things to help some people understand...

"Pewter" = "Solder" (i.e. the stuff that you are melting to solder)
"Weld" = "Solder"/"Soldering"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solder

im not 100% sure about what you talking about, but i beleive its an analogic button, its ''ON'' or ''OFF''. Thanks for your PS part, thats one thing a was not sure about the translation

WOW man yeah awesome work! I like the ebrake mod as well the console, I would paint the whole console black tho ;)

wow awesome! good work man!

i want one!!!!

loll, thanks dude, cant wait to be back at GT5P and test it with you ;)

WOW man yeah awesome work! I like the ebrake mod as well the console, I would paint the whole console black tho ;)

hehe, yeah black would be better suit for my blue seat.... you got a point, haha

If it is only on or off, then it is digital, not analogue.

voila, thx

Ive made a short video for you guys, showing how it work, its at the end of my first post

Last edited:
Great, good finish on the job.
If you were to wire in a potentiometer, an analogue system would create an even more realistic feel.

Great, good finish on the job.
If you were to wire in a potentiometer, an analogue system would create an even more realistic feel.

Maybe for a PC simulator where i can probably set a analogue ebrake, but my simpod is for my PS3 only, and i dont think i can set that in any games, but great idea, ive seen someone use the clutch pedal of a G25 to make a fantastic rally style ebrake.

here another video showing a lillte more ebrake action in different situation due to be pretty much rusty after 5 months out of drifting/racing, so dont look too much about my drift, :lol:

Ive made this little video for a specific reason, as a ''before'' for my next Logitech G25 Racing Wheel Modifications #003. ;)

Rusty? I failed to see where you were doing bad...That was some pretty good drifting and I love the 4 camera angles. I have seen people do two camera angles, one on the screen and the other on the pedals but 4 is interesting. Nice vid.

Rusty? I failed to see where you were doing bad...That was some pretty good drifting and I love the 4 camera angles. I have seen people do two camera angles, one on the screen and the other on the pedals but 4 is interesting. Nice vid.

Thanks for the comments, i was not so sure about the quadcam but since ive made this video, ive received many great comments, mr ''before'' video will be that way too.

Ive said im rusty cause in my video im making some drifting line correction by pulling the ebrake, or increase my angle because im about to loose the drift. Lets say that i can drift, but i cant control my drift yet like before.

PS: My secondary ebrake rally style and my Momo wheel Modification is done, go at first post to see all details, a lill pic to tease you :sly:

Fantastic post !
Decided this morning that i needed to have a handbrake for my race pod(box) and you have provided the perfect information....thankyou:tup:

Will post pictures once completed

Maybe for a PC simulator where i can probably set a analogue ebrake, but my simpod is for my PS3 only, and i dont think i can set that in any games, but great idea, ive seen someone use the clutch pedal of a G25 to make a fantastic rally style ebrake.

here another video showing a lillte more ebrake action in different situation due to be pretty much rusty after 5 months out of drifting/racing, so dont look too much about my drift, :lol:

Ive made this little video for a specific reason, as a ''before'' for my next Logitech G25 Racing Wheel Modifications #003. ;)

Thats a barber's shop montreal canadiens jersey you are wearing!!! Hellow fellow Habs fan!!!! Really nice mod. I really want to try it!

Logitech G25 Racing Wheel Custom Handbrake ''How to''

First of all, i have to say that im not good enough in english to explain all this so ive take the google transalator to do it, so if you see some words your not sure about it or something you simply dont understand, feel free to contact me, its gonna be a pleasure to help you, thats the main goal of all this so....

Materials
- Handbrake (easily found for cheap in a scrap yard)
- Limit switch (normally closed (inside connection)) (usually comes with the hand brake)
- Spring (for the simulation of the car cables)
- Threaded connection size twisted # 22 (very important that either twisted)
- Terminal males and females
- Pewter
- Electrical Tape
- Screw

Principals tools

- Drill
- Saw (manual and / or electric)
- Jig saw or small hand saw
- Soldering Iron
- Screwdrivers
- Precision Screwdrivers
- Allen key

The Approach

Firstly what you want to do is the electrical connections (2), before going on with the rest of the projet, because I must confess that there is some risk, we talk to weld to an electronic circuit. Some experience is required, otherwise if you have an old phone or any electronics things, it could help you practice before making the connection on the shifter of the G25.

So once you're ready, start by disassembling the shifter of the G25

Step # 01 - Uninstall bindings
Step # 02 - You will see at the back of the shifter a series of screws attaching the two part of the whole box, remove all
Step # 03 - Remove the cap on top of the knob which gives you access to uninstall it, remove it
Step # 04 - Remove the 6 allen screws around the shift lever to remove the leather over
Step # 05 - You now have access to another set of screws, remove them all

Now you are ready to remove the cover that give you acces to the electronic chart. Note that I prefer to weld in place instead of disconnecting the connections behind (3), ive got a foot welders to do it, so ive take the safe way to do it.

Now if you look closely the next two photos you will see where to welds. To explain simply, the path from the bottom of the electronic card (left in photo) is your main power supplying the 4 buttons on the top of the shifter, the X, O, Triangle and square. What we want is to add in parallel to the''O''button and the main path of our current limit switch for the handbrake, then you see the small path leading from the''O''button and going in the center right of the map (bottom in photo) that it is the second we want welded.

Welding Procedure

First you will see that there is a thin plastic film over your electronics. With a precision screwdriver flat head, gently scrach surface path to reveal like shown on the photo about 1 centimeter of the electrcal path, once the copper is visible assure you that it is clean and without dust. now you must prepare your wires, you will understand why the twisted type cables is use instead of the solid type, cut the length desired, unsheathe about 1 centimeter and twist it, it is important to tinned your wires itselft before welding it to the card, it will help a lot of welding, and make it even stronger.

Tinned

Take your wires and after a few seconds the heat with your soldering iron, then aplique the tin, but not directly to iron but on the thread itself, if it is warm enough, the tin is a cross repend full thread and uniformly to make a good ''hot'' weld. The same technique will be used to weld on the electronic card.

Final welding

Place your iron on the path of copper discovered making sure to have your wire rdy in the other, wait a few seconds and remove the iron, then place your wire at the location where you heat and place your iron over it, wait a few seconds before puting a little tin over the wire and the connection, again if you have heat it enough like the wire in the tinned part, the tin will go uniformly to both the wire and the card path. Then a simple piece of tape to avoid the displacement of the wire, which could cause a break of your welding with the constant vibration made by frequent changes of speed. The final part of the tricky part of the Mod, ou have to drill a hole to exit the wires at the desired location.

Now as far as the mechanism which activates your limit switch, the possibilities are endless, it really depends on you, you can use a handbrake standrad car, or make more a rally / drift style handbrake, or simply do a custom one to your liking. For my part, I opt for the look and feeling of a handbrake of a standard car, here are some pictures of the assembly to give you some ideas

Hi again,

[Mod#003] - G25 wheel change for a MOMO (enginering)

This Modification is probably the most ''hardcore mod'' you can perform on your G25. First thing you wanna know is what kind of wheel will fit on your G25.... no one, reason is, the allen bolt pattern is not the same as real racing wheel, so the simple way to do it is buying a wheel who do not have hole already drill on it, but that kind of wheel are pretty normal and ugly compare to the stock G25, instead, if your a big fan of F1 or any kind of formula cup, you want to check the Momo Mod 12C, best easy wheel to install on a G25. Ive already seen this mod, and its looks fantastic. But heres a IMPORTANT info you gotta keep in mind, dont install a wheel more heavier than the G25, this will surely cause the FFB to lose his force and broke over a long period, i dont have the exact wight of the G25 wheel, but the Racing wheel i bought to replace it weight 2,55 lbs, and i cant tell the difference between each other, so keep your wheel under 2,5 lbs and it would be allright.

Now the second important thing you wanna know is, G25 6 allen bolt diameter is 1,97 inches, and all racing wheel on market got a 6 allen bolt diameter of 2,75 inches, so thats why you need little of enginering. you will need this special part that we can call a ''G25 Adapter'', a special thanks to Jungletouff from GTC to provinding his own design of a perfect ''G25 adapter''

Now some advices before taking off your G25 wheels. The important thing is to make sure when you have unsrew the 6 allen bolt to not release the wheel, is still four tinny wire who connect the 2 bottom wheel to an electronic chart inside the center of the wheel. The only tips i can give you here is to got an extra pair of hand to hold the wheel when you unplug gently these wire from the chart, you can do it without unsrew the electronic chart from the G25, but if you dont feel comfortable with it, simply unsrew the single screw in the center and you will see another plug behing going in the G25 itself, this extra lenght of wire will give you enough space to unplug those wire from the wheel, heres some photo ive take of mine.

I finally got my piece and my brand new G25 to complete mod#03-04

Heres some photos

How do you do the rally handbrake?

Am I missing something here? You've just asked how to mod a handbrake to a G25 and you've quoted an entire post that details exactly how to do it?! WTF?

Sorry guys, ive been quite busy these last month, not so much time to read and write at GTP, but imback with some explanation if its not too late.

The rally handbrake is made from the brake pedal of the G25 with the nixim rubber mod in it for more resistance. For the electric part, ive simply take the same kind of switch of a car handbrake and plug it with the other one already install on the same connection, no need to open your shifter again, you can add many handbrake as you want like that.

Hope this helps!

On a more personnal note, ive add other stuff on my Rig and change it a little bit to be more comfy for long period of time been seat in it, my 88 Prelude Si seat was great, but a little too much hard. So i wanted something more soft and adjustable in every way, so i decide to take one of my MX83 seat and work it out to be fully fonctionnal with all the adjutsment possible as it was in the car, i ended up after some testing that i nedd something strong to move this heavy piece so i buy a power supply and make it work. Another thing i wanted is a buttkicker, i was not so sure at the begginning because ive got some medical issue to take care with my butt.... But for the price ive made the move and install it to see if it will be fine medicly. that been fine, ive simply bolt on a Solid aluminium bar under the metal casing of my seat to make it go away from under the seat and clamp the buttkicker on it. After that ive got an idea to make a Custom Handmade Racing Switch panel, fully fonctionnal activating the 2 handbrake on different circuit with a main cut off switch and another one to activate the blue neon ive got on my leg room, this was more a fashion thing than practical. And the last but the most usefull thing ive add to my rig is... an ash tray, ive to make some special support to make it fit and work like one in a real car but its worth the work, So useful

I will take some pictures tonigh of all those modifications.I also working right now on a little video that will show you my entire Rig setup and Design and how it work, specially for the control panel.

The Cockpit itself is very very simple, but very very effective and comfy too :sly:

Your setup just keeps getting better!:drool:
Good skills man:tup:

Thanks, Ive involved my cockpit concept many times over the years, but this one really please me in every way.

Heres the video where i put together all pics about my rig to show you the final result, another video is on production to see it in action in real life with external camera, but im still waiting for my new camera to arrive at home so i cant give you more information about the release date of it right now.

Items

-Samsumg 32'' LCD HDTV
-2xG25
-Buttkicker Gamer2
-Altec Lansing PC Audio System
-Pyramid Power Supply
-Jungletouff G25 Lightweight adapter
-Momo Mod7 Steering Wheel
-MX83 Handbrake Console
-MX83 Fonctional Electric Seat
-MX83 ashtray
-The Perfect Pedal
-Custom Solid aluminum Bar

See you around next corner guys, hope you enjoyed the video.

Cheers!
Hacki

With the adaptor and the quite deeply dished spokes of the Momo wheel, it looks like your flappy paddles are too far away from the wheel rim to reach readily (but maybe you have big hands? :) ).

That was the problem (for my not so big hands) when I put a Lotus wheel on my G25. I added aluminium L-section profile, bolted with M3 bolts, to extend them to a better position just behind the rim as with the stock G25 and real cars with paddle shifts like, e.g. my Smart Roadster-Coupé :). Easy to do if you want to reach the paddles better 👍
2491622170103429640S600x600Q85.jpg

2948174290103429640S600x600Q85.jpg

2270489770103429640S600x600Q85.jpg

Smart
2637917390103429640S600x600Q85.jpg

Back