chilicoke's cockpit *03/15 UPDATE: Carbon fiber shifter paddles (pg8)

• Thread starter chilicoke
  • 245 comments
03/15/10 update @ page 8

=========================================

I used to frequently browse here on GT Planet few years back, can't believe I have never seen this section before.

Back in highschool (GT4 days), I took advantage of having access to welders in my highschool welding class and sketched/built myself a cockpit from scratch.
This is how it looked like: [here's my old cocokpit thread on S2Ki]
bjwbslvm2.jpg

That was 2006. Now, many years later, I still enjoy DIY every bit as much as before (if not more). Equipped with my own welder, more experience, and more resources, I decided it was time to build a whole new revised version to accommodate the Logitech G25, an evolution to my old design for GT5P (at the time, now GT5).

[Here's my new cockpit thread on S2ki for those of you interested]

This was how it looked last year, halfway finished and how it stayed (at least it was playable) for a while. Dimensions were replicated off Honda S2000's cockpit just like my old cockpit, but with slight changes mainly to match TV height.

IMG_3307.jpg

Months later, my desire to finish the cockpit took over when I finally got my hands on an actual S2000 handbrake, so the madness continued...

GT5_cockpit_287.jpg

At the time, I was also experimenting with fabricate my own composite parts for my car, so I took the opportunity and made myself a much-needed carbon fiber (not-so-much-needed) dead pedal.

GT5_cockpit_500.jpg

This was the end result. Finished shifter/transmission tunnel and added an over-sized button to enable clutch. I've also opened up, studied, and modified the G25's shifter for heavier shift resistance and push down reverse (which I wasn't aware of people modding the G25 at the time, could have saved myself a few hours if I were to search first).

GT5_cockpit_03-08-09_2993.jpg

GT5_cockpit_03-08-09_2992.jpg

GT5_cockpit_03-08-09_2994.jpg

GT5_cockpit_03-08-09_2995.jpg

GT5_cockpit_03-08-09_2996.jpg

GT5_cockpit_03-08-09_2999.jpg

GT5_cockpit_03-08-09_3003.jpg

Then, one day, my sister brought home an industrial sewing machine (who knows what she's up to). My curiosity once again took over, and within no time I've decided I wanted to make a new shift boot.

GT5_cockpit_559.jpg

original
GT5_cockpit_262.jpg

my replacement
GT5_cockpit_560.jpg

GT5_cockpit_564.jpg

GT5_cockpit_571.jpg

I've always wanted to install an actual aftermarket steering wheel since GT4 days but had a much tighter budget back then. Now that..... well... why not?

Had a bit of raw carbon fiber material in the garage, so naturally I made the adapter out of CF. Had to borrow my friend's Momo for first test fit while I waited for mine to come in the mail.

GT5_cockpit_577.jpg

GT5_cockpit_579.jpg

GT5_cockpit_572.jpg

GT5_cockpit_574.jpg

Got my wheels (yes, plural:D) in the mail the following day. Since I had to dismount everything anyway, I figured I would try to improve on my adapter.

Why not aluminum block?

GT5_cockpit_583.jpg

Test fit...

GT5_cockpit_588.jpg

Final result:

GT5_cockpit_589.jpg

GT5_cockpit_590.jpg

GT5_cockpit_591.jpg

Just because I've found video editing to be tons of fun lately, had to make another video.

That's pretty much where I'm at right now, waiting for GT5 release.

Thanks for scrolling all the way though, hope you enjoy the pictures as much as I enjoyed building it.

All comments welcome. 👍

Last edited:
Dude that has to be one of the best cockpits I've ever seen.
It all fits together so nicely and looks so comfortable.

Have an internet High 5 for yours efforts

Excellent build, you seem to have access to some pretty good tools and materials!

Would you mind briefly (or as detailed as you like) outlining how you modified the shifter? You seem to have a technical-know how (engineer?) and it would be interesting to see how similar or different your mods are to the ones already out there as yours seems stiffer. Cheers.

Im impressed with your attention to detail and level of maintaining a "classy look" Very few take such effort to ensure the presentation is as good as this.

Excellent work, amongst the best finished cockpits out their.

Questions:
What about a Buttkicker?

Wow, amazing set up ! Congrats...

Funny because the other day I was thinking if it was feasible to do this with G25 pedals.
Is it easy ? Is it just open the pedals box ?
GT5_cockpit_03-08-09_2996.jpg

Thank you guys for the compliments 👍

Really good looking.How much lighter it feels when using that bigger wheel?
The Momo actually only weights a little more than the G25 wheel. Though I did had to bring up the force feedback strength up a few notches to get the same amount of force feedback on the bigger wheel.

Excellent build, you seem to have access to some pretty good tools and materials!

Would you mind briefly (or as detailed as you like) outlining how you modified the shifter? You seem to have a technical-know how (engineer?) and it would be interesting to see how similar or different your mods are to the ones already out there as yours seems stiffer. Cheers.
Thanks, I love to build things in my free time so had collected number of tools over the years. I'm actually a student studying to become an electrical engineer and just went with what appear to me as the most effective and efficient method, simply add a spacer behind the position-locking-bearing spring to pre-compress the spring and reduce travel, similar to pre-loading springs on car suspensions. (if you have opened up a G25 shifter you should know I'm referring to)

Im impressed with your attention to detail and level of maintaining a "classy look" Very few take such effort to ensure the presentation is as good as this.

Excellent work, amongst the best finished cockpits out their.

Questions:
What about a Buttkicker?
Thank you. IMO appearance is just as important as functionality. 👍

Buttkicker? is that a subwoofer that attaches below the seat?
Wow, amazing set up ! Congrats...

Funny because the other day I was thinking if it was feasible to do this with G25 pedals.
Is it easy ? Is it just open the pedals box ?
Yup, G25's pedals are very mod friendly. Just make sure you triple measure so they'll be in a comfortable position from your seat.
That...is... AMAZING!!! Simply beautiful and I love the S2000 seat :) Great workmanship. Well done sir 👍
Actually that seat came out of a Mazda 3. I wish I have a spare S2000 seat to go on the cockpit as they are pretty dang expansive, exactly the reason you hear stories of them getting stolen out of cars regularly. :grumpy:

Did you just discard the two buttons on the G25 wheel when fitting the new bigger wheel?
Yup, I have never used those two buttons and decided to simply get rid of them for cleaner appearance. I have an adapter installation video on YouTube but due to the intention of the video I don't think it would be very appropriate of me to post it here. If you are interested you can find it in my YouTube channel.

What about modifications to the noisy force feed back on the g25 sterring did you do any thing about that since yuo recorded the video or are you doing that as a future project. Great job by the way ,nice set up and that was some good driving too.

Last edited:
Veny nice. Any plans on upgrading the shift nob like your old one and maybe a matching handbrake handle? Oh, I see you also removed the paddle shifter's or are you making new ones for them?

What about modifications to the noisy force feed back on the g25 sterring did you do any thing about that since yuo recorded the video or are you doing that as a future project. Great job by the way ,nice set up and that was some good driving too.
:confused: I have never considered G25's force feedback to be noisy, it is actually whisper quiet compare to Driving Force Pro.
Veny nice. Any plans on upgrading the shift nob like your old one and maybe a matching handbrake handle? Oh, I see you also removed the paddle shifter's or are you making new ones for them?
Shiftknob is definitely something I will likely do next as it shouldn't take very long. Might attempt to make larger paddle shifter (probably CF) sometime in the future, though it's not very high on my priority list because I rarely use them.

Shiftknob is definitely something I will likely do next as it shouldn't take very long. Might attempt to make larger paddle shifter (probably CF) sometime in the future, though it's not very high on my priority list because I rarely use them.

Center cap for your wheel with a personal logo too would look nice as a finishing touch. 💡

Hi I love your cockpit. I seen a picture of it somewhere else but could never find out where the picture was from. I was going to try and built one roughly the same but after finding this thread i am wondering if you would be kind enough to share the plans/dimensions of it all. And I would love to know how you rigged up that handbrake if its not too much trouble for you. I'm sure many others here would like to know as well as it is one of the better cockpit to be featured here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks, Cougar23. :)

I just want to say, all around great cockpit. 👍
I'm impressed with the shifter console, very neat. Have you considered an e-brake boot made from the same materials as the shifter boot? I see your S2000 has a black and red interior so I see where the color scheme for the boot came from.
I also have another question. Why are the cross members bolted on while the rest of the frame is welded? My assumption would be to change the width of the cockpit, if ever needed.

Again 👍

I am amazed. Very well done job. I don't think I'd ever get off that thing if I had it at home.

I'm impressed with the pedals...I want my G25 pedals like that too, its more realistic. Is there any chance you could do a tutorial/guide for the pedals like you did for the steering wheel? That would be Aces.

Cheers mate

That's really awesome, you did an excellent job.

Is it possible to keep the paddle shifters and use the steering wheel adapter? I saw the adapter listed on eBay and was thinking about buying one after I get a G27.

I saw your Cockpit on another forum a while back and was amazed at the quality and simplicity. And I love the updates you have done. Any chance you have a tutorial of how you did your pedals and e-brake?

Thanks

Thanks, I love to build things in my free time so had collected number of tools over the years. I'm actually a student studying to become an electrical engineer and just went with what appear to me as the most effective and efficient method, simply add a spacer behind the position-locking-bearing spring to pre-compress the spring and reduce travel, similar to pre-loading springs on car suspensions. (if you have opened up a G25 shifter you should know I'm referring to)

Thanks man, I don't have one yet, but have been looking into the mods out there so know exactly what you mean.
I envy access you have, I have a degree in product design engineering and the know-how, but no access decent facilities to construct the elaborate yet easy-to-store cockpit i'm designing in my head.

But you have got me looking at e-brakes on ebay...I never knew how much I wanted a centre console for GT5... ;)

FINALLY, you made it here ChiliCoke! Man, I've been trying for about a year to get you to post over here! LoL! I've sent at least 2 or 3 PM's via YouTube and even posted this thread right here on the GTP Forums trying to get some additional help! But it's all good...now to the question I have been clamoring to get an answer too for so long ~

How did you do your e-brake setup?

I have waited to do mine specifically until I found out how you did yours. So come on now, give up the details with pics, diagrams, full descriptions and etc! Don't hold out..you are committed now! But in all seriousness I have to say excellent work and craftsmanship. Your setup and another one actually influenced me when I was looking to build one last year; but because of cost effectiveness and location constraints I had to buy a chassis. Hell even the choice of chassis I went with is heavily based off of what was similar to yours!

Awesome setup and fabrication skills. That looks so fun with the clutch and shifter along with the entire cockpit. :)
PS: That Momo wheel is the very similar to the same one I have in my 69 Camaro. Mine is the Momo Millenium.

Awesome.👍 It's looks like something out of a factory. Very clean cockpit. I'm jealous right now I'm sure it it's fun as hell. :D

You got me that jealous that I just bought your wheel adapter on ebay!. Can't wait to attach my wheel on it. hehee :)

Just a couple weeks ago I said to myself it would be awesome to put on a real steering wheel onto the G25 and thought yeah right...I never knew it was possible. Thankyou!!

Back