December Playstation Mag

• Thread starter gtbillyboy
  • 52 comments
Features GT5 Interview.

When it comes to any element of GT racing experience, the rule is: it it can't be done right, it's not going to be done at all. And that goes for GT 5's new dynamic weather system too, which still might not make the final cut. Yamauchi tells us why: "Night racing is going to be part of GT5, but with things like dynamic weather, the choice is about whether it will improve the experience. The functionality is not a problem - we've got the weather system done - but if we are not sure about the quality of it, and how it improves the riving experience, we are not going to have it in the game"

more updates in a bit

Last edited:
Sounds good!:)
This tells me that they already have races at different times of day(night) AND different types of weather, the only doubt it seems is DYNAMIC weather, and will it improve the driving experience or not.
I think it would, but also I'd like to have an OPTION for dynamic weather in the race or just constant sunny/cloudy/light rain/heavy rain/fog etc!:D

yes - updated the text. Having read the rest of the article nothing else it new news.

however, he does say

"but we are reaching closer to reality, I think the first 10-15 seconds with GT5 make you realise how much has changed. The cars are easier to drive, but when you lose control, the reactions of the vehicles are more realistic then ever before"

Last edited:
i still thinking that there won't be any dinamic weather system.. he's just finding some excuse like "we are not sure about the quality of it, and how it improves the driving experience, we are not going to have it in the game"

i still thinking that there won't be any dinamic weather system.. he's just finding some excuse like "we are not sure about the quality of it, and how it improves the driving experience, we are not going to have it in the game"
Don't give up yet. They haven't completely ruled out on it.:)

I'm like you. The quote gives me some hope, but it does sound a lot like KY's previous responses in regards to damage being in previous GTs.

"Night racing is going to be part of GT5, but with things like dynamic weather, the choice is about whether it will improve the experience. The functionality is not a problem - we've got the weather system done - but if we are not sure about the quality of it, and how it improves the riving experience, we are not going to have it in the game"

This guarantees me only one thing: These features are guaranteed to at least be like GT1-4, but might not have anything new in GT5.

We had night racing all along. He does not mention day night changes at all.

So really, nothing new here. But that is typical of a print magazine.

might not improve the 'driving experience' but it would definately improve the 'racing experience' it would be awesome to have realtime weather at a circuit..especially somewhere as changeable as 'the ring' or Spa..just another disappointment for me.

F/SC challenge do a good job of weather, jeeez even Tiger Woods has realtime weather..

Even if we just get to choose to race at different times of day, ranging from morning to night, thats fine with me. If it was dynamic that would be really cool but not 100% necessary. To me this is not really that disappointing.

"but with things like dynamic weather, the choice is about whether it will improve the experience."

Of course it will improve the experience :ill:

Unless weather is already in and Kaz is just teasing, then I'm pretty sure now that weather won't make the cut. You don't decide about implementing a major, code-changing feature like weather when you're 3/4 months away from going gold.

Certainly not when the game is supposed to be at the polishing stage.

Well, would he reveal all features? No.

To me that sentence says, "well we've built something, but it needs a lot of tweaking to get it right, and we're not quite sure the use of resources will make it a valuable addition to the product."

For it to improve the experience it has to run well with the game, I believe all the are trying to do right now is optimize it for the settings they want. And just because there is weather doesn't mean it will be better, the physics of the weather have to be very good, otherwise there isn't any point.

they keep talking about the huge depth and scope of the game, but when anyone one ask is a feature is gonna be in, it isnt.

b

they keep talking about the huge depth and scope of the game, but when anyone one ask is a feature is gonna be in, it isnt.

b

such as? I haven't read much about what features he explicitly said are not going to be in it. If you are talking about weather this comment says that they have a weather system made up, but pretty much what they need to do is make it run well with the rest of the game.

such as? I haven't read much about what features he explicitly said are not going to be in it. If you are talking about weather this comment says that they have a weather system made up, but pretty much what they need to do is make it run well with the rest of the game.

I agree with this statement. PD could add day/night cycle for a 24 hr. race. This would run excellent IMO.

Let's not forget that 24h races are only a small fraction of the game, and that would be the only place where day/night cycles and dynamic weather would really be noticeable. For the most part, the weather won't be changing significantly within the duration of a race.

It's just my speculation, but it seems like KY is specifically talking about whether or not dynamic weather will be implemented in the game. As for different weather conditions, I think that would be an excellent addition and would be much easier to implement than dynamic weather. It seems to me as though there is a strong possibility of different weather conditions being in the game (after all, they did have the wet version of Tsukuba in GT4). Based on what KY has said, it seems as though they definitely have some sort of weather system mocked up and have perhaps retrofitted it to work dynamically.

This guarantees me only one thing: These features are guaranteed to at least be like GT1-4, but might not have anything new in GT5.

We had night racing all along. He does not mention day night changes at all.

So really, nothing new here. But that is typical of a print magazine.

Oh snap! Let's bring down the system!

Well, would he reveal all features? No.

To me that sentence says, "well we've built something, but it needs a lot of tweaking to get it right, and we're not quite sure the use of resources will make it a valuable addition to the product."

+1, they may be struggling with getting good frame rates with weather, and need to drop the graphics. Is that really what we want? I don't know... weather really would be awesome... but at the cost of a game that looked like FM3 for instance?....

Everything comes at a price

KY should hopefully add dynamic weather because driving on a track
with the weather never changing gets dull pretty fast.:indiff:

I hear you! Now I wish KY read these forums. I don't know who actually does the 24 hour races here all in one go with no breaks in between or no B-spec in between.

It would even be cooler if on some laps there were "yellow flag" or caution laps because the AI ahead of you wiped out or you popped a tyre.👍

But they were finished with the damage model until everyone complained it wasn't good enough so they proceeded to improve it further.

But further improvement of weather is unnecessary if it pushes the release date back, even by a couple of weeks. They should focus on getting the final build and testing it extensively so we don't get loads of bugs and glitches.

Damage is actually quite necessary, we've been asking for it since GT1-2. But weather is just an afterthought, a way to differentiate from the competition, it will not improve the game.

But weather is just an afterthought, a way to differentiate from the competition, it will not improve the game.

It might not improve the gameplay, but it is somewhat different from the competiton.
It doesn't make much sense to race on an endurance race and the sun stay out the whole time.👎

To be honest, reading that it seems like he's basically saying, "Ok yeah, you'll have tracks set at day and tracks set at night, but don't go expecting rain or snow". I know it says "dynamic weather" but I think it's a safe assumption that he's talking about weather in general.

I really wish PD would expand their dev studio from 150 to 300 people. They'd have been able to crank out GT5 with a well-done damage system, livery editor, beefy online mode, dynamic weather and crazy in-depth tuning/upgrades system a year ago if they expanded.

But further improvement of weather is unnecessary if it pushes the release date back, even by a couple of weeks. They should focus on getting the final build and testing it extensively so we don't get loads of bugs and glitches.

To quote many members on GTPlanet: "What release date? It can't be delayed if a release date hasn't been given."

Back