2003 SVT Focus: The read headed step-child does it again.

• Thread starter JCE
  • 128 comments

JCE

Germany
Little Elm, TX
JCE3000GT
IMG_2448-1024.jpg

IMG_2460-1024.jpg

IMG_2473-1024.jpg

IMG_2522-1024.jpg

IMG_2527-1024.jpg

IMG_2549-1024.jpg

2003 Ford Focus SVT (ST170 for you Euros) 5-door with 62k miles. The interior is in mint condition and not smoked in. And those are pictures of my wife's RX-8 for those who wonder.

--------------------------

I am selling this car once I pay enough to break even on the depreciation. I will make a new car hunt topic soon with my candidates and criteria.

Last edited:
Nice buy, JCE!

Although what is it you hate about the lows? Ride or scrape?

EDIT: Also I don't think the warning is needed... I used to run 28.8 or less and it didn't struggle too badly on that small of pics :P

Cool car man, one of the few FWD hatch cars I like. I think I would possibly even own one if the price were right. Something about these cars just looks right to me. 👍 Nice buy!

From the pictures I can see, it does not look to low, but that's all up to you. Sweet color, clean looking car.

Nice buy, JCE!

Although what is it you hate about the lows? Ride or scrape?

EDIT: Also I don't think the warning is needed... I used to run 28.8 or less and it didn't struggle too badly on that small of pics :P

It seems too low to me, the wheels feel like they are rubbing in the front. I can't wait to do a few mods to get some POWAAAHHHHH!

LSX
Cool car man, one of the few FWD hatch cars I like. I think I would possibly even own one if the price were right. Something about these cars just looks right to me. 👍 Nice buy!

From the pictures I can see, it does not look to low, but that's all up to you. Sweet color, clean looking car.

I was surprised on how quickly this accelerates actually. It doesn't start off the line quick but once the revs build it gets to 60mph + pretty damn quickly. Plus the 6spd is smooth as a baby's behind.

May I also question the lowering? It doesn't really look lowered in these pics is all. It's a shame you guys don't get XR5 Turbos (LS/LT/LR Focus ST), but I'm happy for you.👍

I don't want it lowered, I want it raised. That's why I'm asking if it was lowered from factory. But if that is stock height I can deal with it.

Aah, we thought you were saying it was already lowered because you said "the car was apparently lowered". Well then no, I don't think it's been lowered, not by the look of it.👍

Damn that's pretty low. :lol: Maybe its my imagination about the front wheels rubbing...

That's a nice buy mate ;) Congratulations!!

Owh.. You might want to consider on getting a new set of wheels :) If don't want to reduce the height...

LSX
04.ford.focus.svt.500.jpg

Looks pretty close? That picture is stock from Edmunds. Think it may be stock ride height.

If those are the standard rims it makes you wonder why the original owner put on those 5-spokers.......

Both are standard ford rims, or factory rather. I actually like the 5 spoke rims, dunno, just simple I guess.

Good choice. Focus is on the higher end of the FWD pocket rockets handling wise, from factory. And there's plenty of mods out for it. I drove my license in one of these things, and I loved the solid and accurate handling and suspension, and the gearbox was also one of the best I've encountered this far.

I didn't realize there was a five door SVT...Should be a fun car, JCE.

Yeah the 5-door showed up a bit later than the 3-door.

Although I don't think there's all that much of a performance penalty other than perhaps some extra weight as the ZX3 and ZX5 are the same wheelbase and etc, just the ZX3 has longer doors vs the 5-door and the obvious.

Edit: Leo, drive a bloody 6 already, you'll understand what I'm on about. MkI Foci are easy as to park and are quite good to drive but the 6 manages to do almost everything better IMO. SVT Foci, however...

[OT]RJ, I wouldn't touch Mazda 6 with 20ft pole. there are very few FWD sedans I would drive, and 6 isn't one of them, thanks to the Mk1 6's chavtastic appearance from the factory. Good old Galant on the other hand, especially in VR4-form..:drool:[/OT]

Here's a small update, the aftermarket alarm that was installed in the car is going haywire. I am having it towed to Car Toys to get that thing taken out. What an idiot previous owner to have installed an aftermarket alarm, oh wait it was the State of Texas. :D

JCE
Here's a small update, the aftermarket alarm that was installed in the car is going haywire. I am having it towed to Car Toys to get that thing taken out. What an idiot previous owner to have installed an aftermarket alarm, oh wait it was the State of Texas. :D

Still scratching my head as to why the State of Texas would have an SVT Focus in the first place...particularly one with vinyl graphics.

Still scratching my head as to why the State of Texas would have an SVT Focus in the first place...particularly one with vinyl graphics.

No idea, I wish I could find out.

to chase them fartcanned civics with domestic hot hatch yo.

:lol: Maybe...

Welcome back to the Focus club!! :D

Thanks. I've loving being back on the ground again along with driving a manual and that awsome Focus steering rack. I'd forgot how well the Focus actually handles. Makes all my other non-Focus cars seem tame--and since this is the SVT version it is even more sublime.

Daytime pics added.

Last edited:
I didn't realize there was a five door SVT...Should be a fun car, JCE.

In the UK, we also got a wagon version :D

Nice choice, JCE 👍 One of the people on my team at work has an ST170 and loves it, and I've always liked the look of those Focus models. Welcome to the world of a Ford whose chassis and major controls (steering, gearshift etc) are better than those of many sports cars. Ford gearboxes are especially good, I've found.

Love it 👍

Very impressed with the condition of that interior, too. Clearly the state of Texas looked after it ;) But yeah, hairdryer those vinyl things immediately. They're very early-90s-Suzuki-Vitara.

Back