Big News: Indy Racing League cars & tracks in GT5

Digital-Nitrate

1955-2011 R.I.P.
Premium
United States
Austin, Texas
D-Nitrate / GTP_DNitrate
I was traveling home yesterday and was browsing the news stand in the airport waiting for our flight and noticed in big bold red letters "GRAN TURISMO 5" on the cover of a magazine on one of the racks. The magazine is called PlayStation The Official Magazine, and featured a 10-page article on GT5 as well as a tear out folded up poster of the game's cover.

As I browsed through the article, several things caught my eye, but perhaps no more so than the following quote:

PTOM February 2010 Issue
For the first time ever in the series, both NASCAR and -as exclusively revealed to PTOM- Indy (IRL) cars and tracks will be included in Gran Turismo 5.

I figured there would already be an in-depth discussion about this here, but after browsing and searching this forum I was unable to find any mention of this news.

If this has already been brought up, feel free to ignore this. :)

BTW: Happy New Year GTPers!

Edit Update: Pics & links to 3648x2736 originals

PS: Seeing as I bought it I figured I would browse through the magazine and I must say they clearly have a witty editorial staff. Here is one of the responses from the "Letters" section:

EXCLUSIVE
Is there any news on the PlayStation 4 development?
- Andrew Gaither, via email
No. But we've been playing the PS8 and it's awesome!
:lol:

100_7229.jpg

3648x2736

100_7230.jpg

3648x2736

100_7231.jpg

3648x2736

100_7232.jpg

3648x2736

100_7233.jpg

3648x2736

100_7234.jpg

3648x2736

BTW: For those curious, I bought my copy from the Hudson News shop just past Gate 14 in Terminal E at the Houston International Airport in Texas.

terminal-iah2009.gif

Last edited:
Awesome, going not only 210 (NASCAR), but also 245 in a circle!

Just fooling. I would love to take some of the Indy cars around the city tracks. Seattle jumps anyone?

Edit: Wait, this is OPM? I thought that wasn't out until the 16th or something.

Now please tell me you bought it, brung it home and have either a scanner or camera.

What car was on the cover?

Edit: Updaed with pics, you're the man!

Last edited:
I was traveling home yesterday and was browsing the news stand in the airport waiting for our flight and noticed in big bold red letters "GRAN TURISMO 5" on the cover of a magazine on one of the racks. The magazine is called PlayStation The Official Magazine, and featured a 10-page article on GT5 as well as a tear out folded up poster of the game's cover.

As I browsed through the article, several things caught my eye, but perhaps no more so than the following quote:

I figured there would already be an in-depth discussion about this here, but after browsing and searching this forum I was unable to find any mention of this news.

If this has already been brought up, feel free to ignore this. :)

BTW: Happy New Year GTPers!
I hope this is not a joke.

OMG OMG OMG! :drool: :crazy: :scared:

I'm F'ing speechless!!! :crazy:

If this is true that is.... :rolleyes:

When I go out today, I'm gonna see if any places have the magazine. I do believe I need a copy of this.

Sorry for loosing it now guys...

Scan the whole damn article right now and post it as fast as you can!!!!!!! :D

EDIT: Sorry, didn't notice the updated first post. Awesome!!! :drool:

First of all, welcome back.

Had my copy come in the mail already I would be all over this. If you didn't buy it or don't have the time to make scans/pics I will as soon as I get my copy in the mail (I hate my local postal service). EDIT: I see you did as I was typing. 👍

Awesome, going not only 210 (NASCAR), but also 245 in a circle!
I know you are joking, but since merging with Champ Car IRL has been trying to keep a fairly even split between ovals, natural terrain road, and city street courses, to a degree that I would argue it is one of the best balanced racing leagues. This actually opens up speculation for a lot of cool American tracks.

Of course, Indy, Infineon, and Twin Ring Motegi could be what they mean by IRL tracks. I am hopeful that we will see some other courses like Mid-Ohio, Watkins Glen and maybe even St. Petersburg and Long Beach. And if they added Texas and Homestead then that would be two more oval/road hybrid tracks.

Here is the schedule if anyone wants to see the various tracks that can be speculated on. http://www.indycar.com/schedule/

Back