Toyota TF110

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 52 comments

Cap'n Jack

Premium
Australia
South of the South
GoldMineGutted
Images of the ill-fated Toyota TF110 have been revealed. It's kind of sad knowing that the car has been put together but will never compete in a Grand Prix weekend. Anyway, a very nice gesture from the Cologne based team to John Howett, just too bad it didn't end too well. :P

Former Toyota F1 boss John Howett is leaving the company at the end of June and to mark his departure the Toyota team decided to have him drive one of the 2010 Formula 1 cars around the car park at the team’s factory in Cologne. This was a very exclusive affair with not many witnesses… However I understand that Howett came away with a red face when he ran the car into the wall of the factory. The latest word is that the remnants of the team will be employed next year to update the current chassis (rather more scientifically than Howett did) and will enter F1 in 2011, providing engineering services to a current GP2 team. The word on the grapevine is that ART might the lucky team. This is potentially difficult as the team is part-owned by Nicolas Todt, the son of FIA President Jean Todt.
Source: http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2010/05/07/oh-de-cologne/#comments

264256.jpg

264253.jpg

264257.jpg

264254.jpg

264255.jpg

264272.jpg

tf10.jpg

264273.jpg

Judging by some of those pictures, I'd say there was a lot more to Stefan than people believed. Stefanovicsaid the cars were going to be painted "Serbian Olympic Red", and the Toyotas have always used white as their base colour. Plus, that's very definately Nakajima in the cockpit, and he was never directly involved with Toyota. If Stefanovic ha shown these pictures sooner, I think a lot of people would have taken him a lot more seriously.

Anyone know the difference between Serbian Olympic Red and the Toyota brand's official corporate red? Stefanovic was proven to be a horrific sham and nothing but a joke, I wouldn't put it past him to have seen the car already painted red, and then backwards engineer a claim as his intention.

Plus, that's very definately Nakajima in the cockpit, and he was never directly involved with Toyota.

Nakajima is a product of the Toyota Young Driver's program. He's the closest thing to an F1 works-driver that Toyota has/had, considering that the Toyota engine was a big part of him being at Williams. Who else do they have such ties to after Trulli and Glock left? Nakajima also isn't attached to another team.

Back on topic, thanks for the pics Jackington. Toyota were my team last season after visiting Aichi last year and getting up-close with the marque. I really wish Toyota didn't bail, and now doubly so after seeing these pictures!

I'd rather have this one in the GRID than the Hispanias. At least is made from carbon fiber. ( I mean, suspension arms )

Nakajima is a product of the Toyota Young Driver's program. He's the closest thing to an F1 works-driver that Toyota has/had, considering that the Toyota engine was a big part of him being at Williams. Who else do they have such ties to after Trulli and Glock left? Nakajima also isn't attached to another team.
Why was Nakajima even driving it? Toyota withdrew late in 2009, when both of their drivers hadmoved on. Why were they testing it if they had no intention of racing it? And why is it painted red when Toyota have always gone in for a white basecoat (with the exception of ther very first chassis)?

Why was Nakajima even driving it? Toyota withdrew late in 2009, when both of their drivers hadmoved on. Why were they testing it if they had no intention of racing it? And why is it painted red when Toyota have always gone in for a white basecoat (with the exception of ther very first chassis)?

You can't deny that red is a Toyota corporate colour. The car isn't likely to carry the full livery at that stage. Who's to say they weren't going to to with red as the base colour like with the TF101? I'd bet the guys in the fourth picture are also wearing Serbian Olympic red jackets ;)

It's possible, I admit, that Nakajima could be driving to show to Stefanovic (who Toyota were fooled into believing), but because of his ties to Toyota, not because Stefanovic brought him in.

With both colour of the car and choice of driver, I'd say Toyota made the call, and Stefanovic relayed them as his own calls to the press. The guy was a proven joke, we don't even need to go there again.

Looks like a faster version of the Williams, and that fin under the front wing looks very interesting. Too bad they got fed up with F1, now they aren't really active in any motorsport anymore.

Looks like a faster version of the Williams, and that fin under the front wing looks very interesting. Too bad they got fed up with F1, now they aren't really active in any motorsport anymore.
Yes, I can see a bit of resemblance to the FW32. The front wing and sidepod intakes are also similar to the Lotus T127.

The red bull also has the fin under the front wing :)

ta_article_744.jpg

Source: formula1.com

You're referring to what that red arrow is pointing to right? :confused:

Ferrari also have that.

Also, laughing at the Formula One official website's futile attempt to prevent me copying the link for the image. Go here and try to right-click+copy the image ;) Noscript is really useful :lol:

Plus, that's very definately Nakajima in the cockpit, and he was never directly involved with Toyota. If Stefanovic ha shown these pictures sooner, I think a lot of people would have taken him a lot more seriously.

How can you even tell who's in the cockpit?

Also, I doubt these pics have anything to do with Stefan GP. Stefan is a sham, nothing you or anyone else says will change that.

I don't get what you are trying to prove here ludes. We already knew Stefan was trying to purchase this car and Toyota were initially happy to take his money if and when he handed it over. Clearly, painting the car red didn't cost much money.

Oh and FYI, Toyota have painted their cars in red basecoat before. ;)
toyota_-_tf101.jpg

And as has been mentioned, Nakajima has always been a Toyota driver, just as Kobayashi is.
In Japan, it is common for drivers to be backed by manufacturers, this is why you see so many "pay drivers" from Japan because they are always backed by manufacturers. His father was always a Honda man, Sato was Honda, Katayama was Yamaha, and so on.

While Kazuki was at Williams, he was always paid by Toyota, he never got a penny from Frank Williams' pockets. He was probably joining Stefan as part of the deal with Toyota. Stefan didn't approached him seperately (why would he? :lol: Nakajima hasn't exactly set the world alight!).

I used to like Toyota, I was a fan of their WRC and Le Mans programmes. But their F1 efforts have just highlighted the problems with corporations. They always lacked character too. Can't say I'm sad to never see this car used, its not like Toyota were ever going to pull a Honda-Brawn on us.

I'd rather have this one in the GRID than the Hispanias. At least is made from carbon fiber. ( I mean, suspension arms )

I'd rather have Hispania on the grid than Stefan.

Last edited:
Looks like a very nice, car, that probably could do as well as, at least, Force India, or Renault maybe. Shame that they pulled out though.

Stefan is a sham, nothing you or anyone else says will change that.
They can't be a group of well-organied charlatans? Remember, QADBAK was able to fool a BMW quick to offload Sauber at the end of last year, and all they had was a football team, a name registered in the British Virgin Islands and a confidentiality agreement.

And I never said the photos made Stefan legit - only that if they had been shown, more people would have taken Stefan seriously.

Oh and FYI, Toyota have painted their cars in red basecoat before. ;)
I know. I mentioned that earlier.

And I never said the photos made Stefan legit - only that if they had been shown, more people would have taken Stefan seriously.

We knew the car already existed, so it wouldn't prove anything.

My point was though that we don't know who actually supplied these pics, chances are it wasn't Stefan, but Toyota's F1 team(or what's left of it).

Now it seems HRT wants to use the TF110 chassis this year if possible, and use it as a basis for next years car. http://axisofoversteer.blogspot.com/2010/05/hispania-wants-toyota-tf110.html
Seems to me that the Toyota car is in hot demand after these photos. Even the head of McLaren before the start of the season questioned why new teams didn't look into it. Not to mention that Stefan wanted to use this car, as does HRT now and so does the former GP2 team Durango.

Wonder who will be successful in running with toyota or the tf110, if not more than one of them. And just to be clear, this IS the car Stefan GP had, link is here http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.blogf1.it/2010/05/24/stefangp-ecco-come-sarebbe-stata/&prev=/search%3Fq%3DTF110%26start%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26tbs%3Dqdr:d3&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhiM1ZsCx8s-6aizE8cHX7Y2tiSQ9Q

I don't think Durango would be able to use it. The TF110 is designed around the double-diffuser, and you can't simply switch it out for a single-layer design. Especially since the talk in the paddock seems to be that some of the under-car aerodynamics will be removed. Formula 1 cars are not made of Lego; you cannot simply switch one part out in favour of another and expect the car will perform the same. As Lenin said, everything is connected to everything.

The more interesting (and more likely) rumour is that HRT are going to purchase the Toyota facilities in a tie up with Kolles, running both the Le Mans and F1 operations from it. I doubt they will bother using the TF110 other than for basic design principles for the reasons Ludes mentioned, a new car will still need to be designed, but its a lot easier when you have a windtunnel and autoclaves, etc all there ready ;).
If this happens I think its fair to expect HRT to get ahead of Virgin at the very least next year.

If this happens I think its fair to expect HRT to get ahead of Virgin at the very least next year.

Could be the next couple of races actually... depending on whether HRT are bringing in any updates themselves after splitting with their chassis developer.

Good job by Senna today, he had a nice battle with Di Grassi going on, and he could well have finished ahead of him, if it wasn't for reliability.

The more interesting (and more likely) rumour is that HRT are going to purchase the Toyota facilities in a tie up with Kolles, running both the Le Mans and F1 operations from it. I doubt they will bother using the TF110 other than for basic design principles for the reasons Ludes mentioned, a new car will still need to be designed, but its a lot easier when you have a windtunnel and autoclaves, etc all there ready ;).

Now that's interesting!! HRT to be competitive in 2011. Sure it's a long way away, but that's going to be great!! Are they retaining their current driver lineup for 2011? I hope they both stick around.

Well, if they have the money to purchase those facilities, I see no reason why they should ditch Senna and Chandhok. Both have done a good job so far and Klien and Yamamoto are not exactly F1 stars. Both their current drivers have proven they can bring the car home in one piece and generally avoid silly mistakes in an imperfect car, and thats all you can ask for as a new team. Both have also shown some consistent and strong pace from time to time relative to each other and Virgin and Lotus.

Ah thats a shame that no one will use that car this year, it looks to be very intricately designed, I mean look at the front wing and the strange flairs so to speak at the bottom of the rear wing.

I don't know where you guys get off saying you can't use the car this year. That's blatantly false. It's possible to modify your car this year and if HRT are to use the TF110 it would be for design. The deal with Toyota would include Toyota employees who had say in the design of the TF110. To also say that it would have no relevance to next year's car is false as well. Why because it won't have a double diffuser? Or underbody aids? Using it as a base for next year's car isn't a bad concept and is probably the best concept. If you think McLaren Ferrari Red Bull, any team isn't using this year's car as a starting point for next year you're wrong. Designed around the double diffuser or not most teams have parallel programs to include design on next years cars as well as this years. Regardless of the double diffuser being left out, the same basic design of car from this year will be incorporated next year. No refueling will mean the cars basic shape and size will remain the same. The body parts and aero parts might differ but with technical know how I'm sure a basis of the TF110 can have a good impact on next years car.

I don't know where you guys get off saying you can't use the car this year. That's blatantly false. It's possible to modify your car this year and if HRT are to use the TF110 it would be for design. The deal with Toyota would include Toyota employees who had say in the design of the TF110. To also say that it would have no relevance to next year's car is false as well. Why because it won't have a double diffuser? Or underbody aids? Using it as a base for next year's car isn't a bad concept and is probably the best concept. If you think McLaren Ferrari Red Bull, any team isn't using this year's car as a starting point for next year you're wrong. Designed around the double diffuser or not most teams have parallel programs to include design on next years cars as well as this years. Regardless of the double diffuser being left out, the same basic design of car from this year will be incorporated next year. No refueling will mean the cars basic shape and size will remain the same. The body parts and aero parts might differ but with technical know how I'm sure a basis of the TF110 can have a good impact on next years car.

Cars are homologated - the car you start with can only be modified in certain areas, but the basic chassis cannot be changed during the season. Its to cut costs and avoid teams using entirely new specs of car during a season. They cannot use it this year.

I agree that the basic design philosophies can be used for next year, but not really much else. Also - I'm fairly sure most of Toyota's technical staff now reside in other teams.
And are we forgetting how mediocre Toyota's designs were? They didn't build any race-winners!

Better to design your own car that you understand fully than spend time trying to understand other people's ideas. They can copy some ideas, but theres no point copying the entire chassis and trying to understand how it works.

And the problem is, all the aero parts are designed with each other in mind. The front wing will be totally designed to feed air in a particular way to help the double diffuser and floor. If you take away those parts, then the front wing is not really an effecient design anymore. So, although they can look at particular ideas (like say, a particular nose-shape or inventions like f-ducts, or packaging of the car) but the entire design is simply not usable. So there is relevance, but not all that much.
And sticking bits on from the Toyota onto the Dallara is not even worth it. The things that need improving on the Dallara are basic stuff at the moment - carbon suspension, seamless shift gearbox, etc. Creating new aerodynamic parts for it will require extensive testing regardless if it is copied from the Toyota, and on the Dallara it may not work the same way due to the different aero layout.

Even if they hired the original designers, they would be desigining a new car for the new regulations anyway. None of the cars this year will translate to next year beyond some basic design principles. The actual aero layout will change.

I have a theory regarding Toyota's performance, I am curious to know others' opinion..

Given the relitively poor performances of Kobayashi this year (granted, last race was a slight improvement), and the fact that former Toyota driver Trulli is not exactly thrashing Lotus team mate Kovalainen each race (who, lets not forget, was roundly beaten by Hamilton last year), do you think that the Toyota was potentially a championship winning car in more capable hands? Last year's car showed some great potential at times, and I get the impression that in the hands of, say any of the eight drivers currently in the top four teams (or Kubica, or indeed Raikkonen, a target of theirs had they stayed in F1) that perhaps they wouldn't have appered so lacklustre over the past few seasons, in particular, their last.

I fully appreciate that any number of teams would perform better if they had a driver of the caliber of Hamilton or Alonso at their team, but it was at Toyota where I felt that the drivers let the car down the most.

I'm pretty sure anything Toyota dreamt up would be better than Dallara's F110 ...

Perhaps, but even so, you would have thought Sauber would build a reliable car this year too ;).
Consider that the Dallara's main faults are to do with non-F1 spec parts rather than just the aero.

I'm just saying its not like the Toyota would have been a Brawn, and straight-copying its design may not be entirely worth it over designing a brand new car for the regulations. Its not so clear cut just to say "copy", there could even have been design flaws in the Toyota, we will never know as it has never been tested.
We've also not mentioned how it was obviously designed for a different engine too.

I have a theory regarding Toyota's performance, I am curious to know others' opinion..

Given the relitively poor performances of Kobayashi this year (granted, last race was a slight improvement), and the fact that former Toyota driver Trulli is not exactly thrashing Lotus team mate Kovalainen each race (who, lets not forget, was roundly beaten by Hamilton last year), do you think that the Toyota was potentially a championship winning car in more capable hands? Last year's car showed some great potential at times, and I get the impression that in the hands of, say any of the eight drivers currently in the top four teams (or Kubica, or indeed Raikkonen, a target of theirs had they stayed in F1) that perhaps they wouldn't have appered so lacklustre over the past few seasons, in particular, their last.

I fully appreciate that any number of teams would perform better if they had a driver of the caliber of Hamilton or Alonso at their team, but it was at Toyota where I felt that the drivers let the car down the most.

No, you have got it the wrong way around. Trulli and Kobayashi are not performing as well this year because they are in unreliable and slower cars (interesting you avoid Glock). Trulli has had all the bad luck at Lotus, with many part failures. Kobayashi has suffered a terribly unreliable car but when it has worked, he has qualified and finished ahead of his teammate. He hasn't got that Sauber into Q3 3 times without some skill.

Is it so easy to forget Toyota's performances at Bahrain and Monaco last year? One race they completed screwed up on strategy and the other they were the worst car! Neither races displayed bad driving, they were problems and mistakes out of the drivers control.
I agree that Toyota never had a star driver, but they did have decent drivers who would have won races given the chance. Toyota were never close to winning a championship for a number of reasons, and the drivers were not really one of them.
The principle reason for Toyota's failure was the management. Apparently, all decisions had to be passed through the board in Tokyo, which slowed all the decision processes down. They also didn't take kindly to people suggesting changes to this management structure, which led to the sacking of Mike Gascoyne after one of their most successful seasons. The pit wall was also fairly rubbish overall in the latter years, some really bad strategy decisions were made sometimes losing potential race wins.
It doesn't matter who you put to drive for the team, as long as they were stuck with a terrible management they weren't going to win races. As I've also implied earlier, Toyota's aerodynamics department wasn't brilliant either. Last year they only stole a short-lived advantage with the double diffusers, and they didn't even implement that effectively if you compare them to Brawn or even Williams at times! Although saying that, they have always had a better design team than Williams it seems (that isn't saying much though).

Ralf, Panis, Trulli, Salo all performed better in other teams. Even Zonta did.

Last edited:
Back