Blitz187

The Man From Amsterdam
Premium
Netherlands
020 A'dam
Blitz187
Are u serious?
Good day GT Community!

Despite the bad news of GT5 being delayed and all, I do have some news to share about what Ive learned about GT5 recently. I had the opportunity to attend a Press Event for the release of GT5 in Holland. At this press event I learned quite a bit about GT5 and its features.

The presentation by a Sony Rep, who was responsible for the distribution of GT5 throughout the Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxemburg), was very informative and shed some light on many aspects of GT5. I do want to make it clear from the beginning that everything I share here, is what was shown in the presentation by Sony. Because this was a press event I assume that all the information they shared is true and confirmed. So please do not hold me responsible if something changes now due to the delay or something similar.

I attended this event with my brother and we arrived in the morning at Sony HQ here near Amsterdam. We were greeted by a beautiful Silver SLS AMG :) and proceeded to go upstairs to the 9th floor of the Sony offices. There we entered a large room with couches and LCD TVs everywhere all showing GT5. There was also one pod as we all know them from the previous game shows and a couple of 3D TVs to showcase GT5 3D (meh :indiff:).

DSC02121.jpg

DSC02124.jpg

DSC02125.jpg

DSC02130.jpg

DSC02129.jpg

DSC02126.jpg

DSC02127.jpg

DSC02135.jpg

So basically I spent a couple of hours in the morning munching food, playing GT5 in 3D, in the pod and normally with a sixaxis. :) The demo that they were using was an early build that was also playable at an event earlier this month in Amsterdam called First Look. It had an early damage model (drove a NASCAR into a wall a couple of times :lol:), no rain, night transitions and about 12-15 cars (Gallardo, 458, SLS, GT by PD, GTR500 GT car, GTR Spec V, Ferrari Enzo, a NASCAR and some others). It had 5 tracks (Rome, Madrid, The Ring, Tokyo Route 249 and Toscane) and definitely wasnt finished because the icon names weren't even done. I can't say for certain which build it is exactly but I think the one at GamesCom was newer than the one I played. Or atleast had different features than the GamesCom demo.

After stuffing myself with pastries, Dutch junk food and pumpkin soup it was time for the Press Conference for all the automotive journalists there. The Dutch GT site GTHQ.nl was also present at the event, which was a nice surprise since Ive raced with them online quite a bit. It was also nice to share impressions about GT5 and their earlier experience with different demos.

The conference started off with things I already knew. The history of GT, who is Kaz, what does GT do besides video games, GT academy and blah blah blah. I was worried for a second that I was not going to hear anything new until they got to the features of GT5. I woke up out of my daze and started jotting down notes about what was going to be in the game. I do admit that a lot of it is probably already known by all of you, but I do think there might be some new things as well.

To make it easy I will just list everything that they informed us about even though you might already know a lot of it.

Key Features in GT5

+/- 1000 cars

- Damage model is visual and mechanical. So your car starts pulling left or right next to visual damage. This was also evident in the demo!

- The race experience is dynamic, ie. obstacles on the track move, day/night racing, ALL cars have lights, smoke, tire marks, rollovers, weather model. Next to this it is confirmed that track conditions will affect your car, with this I mean that humidity, air temp. and track temp will all influence your car and you will have to take that into account when you set your car up. Also in regards to the weather model you will get a weather report before every race which shows you the forecast. This forecast can be accurate or not, meaning it might rain at any point in time.

- GT5 has the following licenses to use in the game:

1. Mercedes
  2. AMG
  3. WRC
  4. NASCAR
  5. Red Bull
  6. Top Gear

- Head Tracking works with the PS eye and is confirmed. I got the chance to see this being setup with a calibration screen and started filming, however when the Sony rep noticed he kindly asked I didnt film this. He did not know exactly how to set it up but I think if calibrated properly it will work very nice. It only work in cockpit mode.

- 100 tracks in total.

- Track Generator tracks will be saved online for others to download and share. If this was on a centralized server online or on the PS3 or both was unclear. They will also be available to race online! Edit: Forgot to mention that weather also works on generated tracks!

- There was a photo of the GT5 menu being displayed and it showed the following choices:

1. A- Spec
  2. B-Spec
  3. Special Events
  4. Licences
  5. Used Car lot
  6. Dealerships
  7. GT Auto
  8. Practice
  9. Tuning Shop
  10. Photo Travel
  11. Official Events
  12. Car Delivery
  13. Open Lobby

The Car Delivery option was something new for me. I have no idea what it means and I also forgot to ask.

- Special Events are as follows:

1. Karting Experience
  2. AMG Driving School
  3. Stig Challenge
  4. NASCAR driving school
  5. Red Bull Sebastian Loeb Rally Challenge
  6. GT Rally

- GT Auto had the usual things in it. I saw nothing new besides tuning functionality.

- For Online functionality the following is confirmed:

1. 16 player races
  2. Spectator mode
  3. Car sharing and gifting
  4. My home lobby
  5. Track Sharing
  6. Leaderboards
  7. B-Spec Remote
  8. Social Media integration

The B-spec Remote was a nice little feature here. This B-Spec feature gives someone the ability to log in on a PC or mobile device and actually do B-Spec races online from your PC or mobile device.... Interesting how that will work exactly... :)

- Crosstalk feature for GT PSP is confirmed and it transfers all your GT PSP cars to the arcade mode of GT5

- GTTV will be improved over Prologue

- Manufacturers Museum will be present as well. This will be a source of information about car manufacturers in the game.

- What if?... Scenarios are also confirmed. This included the Red Bull X1 car which is playable in the game.

That concludes the things covered in the press conference. After the conference there was a small competition with everyone present. Jeroen Bleekemolen (Dutch Le Mans driver) set a time on the Rome circuit in the GT pod and we were all invited to try and beat it. Fastest time would get to ride along in the SLS AMG with Jeroen Bleekemolen. I didnt even try with my Div. 5 GT skills :P because there were two Dutch GT Academy finalists there and some fast guys from GTHQ.nl. Djie from GTHQ.nl won and got to ride along in the car. I took this opportunity to ask some specific questions to the Sony Rep, who gave the presentation, while we waited for Djie to return.

- LAN Support / 3-screen setup? He did not have this information, unknown

- DLC? He also had no comment on this and would not say if there was going to be DLC in the future.

- Saving in Endurance races? To his knowledge he said this was in.

- Adjustable HUD? No

- Specifics about the car list? He did not have this information. Did not know

- Damaged linked to playing level? Yes. ie. easy, medium, hard or standard and professional

- Russia Rumor? No comment

- Track Maker tracks saved online and possible to share? Yes.

- Visual customization to cars? He said yes, but could not tell me to what degree.

DSC02146.jpg

DSC02144.jpg

After this we went back upstairs for some coffee before the end of the session and reflect on the day. It was a very nice experience and very well organized by Sony. So I hope youve enjoyed my little summary of events here and if you have any questions or want some clarification, you can discuss below! :D

Last edited:
Wow this is great some good news today. 100 tracks. Lights and stuff for all cars, visual modification to what point though???

Thanks a lot for this report!
I knew most of it, however I got interested in having the Sony rep spitting out the 100 figure as track count.

Wow this is great some good news today. 100 tracks. Lights and stuff for all cars, visual modification to what point though???

He would not go into detail as to how far you could visually modify the car... so still unknown

The saving during endurance races is new is it not? That's great news if you ask me. Confirmation of approximately 100 unique courses is good to hear too. Until this, it was just speculation and estimations. That, and mechanical damage to the cars as well was just rumored or on a wish list until now right?

I guess that 100 tracks is counting as variations? Did they say how many tracks there are on a singular basis? I hope I'm wording it right.

So what is new out of this list that we could not confirm? From the pic I knew one was missing.

- Special Events are as follows:

Karting Experience
AMG Driving School
Stig Challenge
NASCAR driving school
Red Bull Sebastian Loeb Rally Challenge
GT Rally

Was it #2 AMG? Nevermind

My guess is that they got the numbers wrong then.

Edit: Found the pic.
jsmenuspecialevents.jpg

My guess is that they got the numbers wrong then.

Last edited:
He would not go into detail as to how far you could visually modify the car... so still unknown

Yes but if we have what we have seen allready I will be pleased, He hasn't said there won't be more so there is still hope compared to if he said a straight no.

Thanks for all that stuff!

The SLS AMG startup sounds monstrous.

Yeah, 100 track is probably multiple variations.

I want to be a infinitynionare so freakin' bad.

Hahaha.

Yes but if we have what we have seen allready I will be pleased, He hasn't said there won't be more so there is still hope compared to if he said a straight no.

Maybe means there are some racing paint schemes we can choose from for the cars?

Jerome

100 unique tracks

1) Suzuka
2) Eiger Nordwand
3) London
4) Suzuka
5) Fuji Speedway
6) La Sarthe
etc

or 100 tracks including variations/reverse

1) Suzuka Circuit
2) Suzuka East Course
3) Eiger Nordwand
4) Eiger Nordwand Reverse
5) London Street Circuit
6) London Street Circuit Reverse
etc

?

I guess that 100 tracks is counting as variations? Did they say how many tracks there are on a singular basis? I hope I'm wording it right.

The presentation had a slide which specifically stated 100 tracks. If they are all unique was not clarified.

So what is new out of this list that we could not confirm? From the pic I knew one was missing.
GT5 has the following licenses to use in the game:

Mercedes
AMG
WRC
NASCAR
Red Bull
Top Gear

Was it #2 AMG?

Edit: I guess it was Red Bull that is what is standing out to me.

If my logic serves me right, these licenses are used for the Special events part of GT5. AMG license is for the inclusion of the AMG Driving Academy for example.

Very true. He did say yes but could not give me specifics. So I dont know if its only wings or full out body kits.

Last edited:
Could you clarify which one of the following scenarios 100 tracks implies?

• ?? unique tracks, 100 variations excluding reverse versions
  • ?? unique tracks, 100 variations including reverse versions
  • 100 unique tracks, excluding variations and reverse versions

EDIT: already answered, nevermind

I presume Car Delivery is a part of the car sharing option on-line?

Unless it means Car De-Livery? ;)

If my logic serves me right, these licenses are used for the Special events part of GT5. AMG license is for the inclusion of the AMG Driving Academy for example.

Go back and re-read my post I didn't clarify what I meant but I fixed it :)
by the way thanks for the write up.

I would assume it's 100 variations, as we've been told there are approximately 20 unique locations already. 100 unique locations without variations included would be astounding, even more so than 1000 premium cars.

Blitz187, nice work, were there also pricewinners of the telegraafwedstrijd?

Yup they were there as well to ride along in the SLS.

Thanks!

What about the "review code" you've mentioned on twitter?

Not in my possession yet. This would be sent to us at a later date, I will be using this to write up a game review for my brothers website Autoblog.nl.

I presume Car Delivery is a part of the car sharing option on-line?

Unless it means Car De-Livery? ;)

There's always hope :P

I would assume it's 100 variations, as we've been told there are approximately 20 unique locations already. 100 unique locations without variations included would be astounding, even more so than 1000 premium cars.

I thought I remember hearing Kaz say there were 70 locations?

Back