Aids.

• Thread starter TheIshter
  • 64 comments
TheIshter
I want to dive in something other than the news and footage.

Before I rented Prologue for a week last month, I've searched a lot of videos and reviews for it. I've lurked forums and looked for advice regarding my new G27. Coming out of that, I interpreted that driving aids make the driving less realistic (meaning it will deter from the experience of driving on a track, not necessarily regarding the physics, btw).

Now, when I think of turning on traction control or ABS or any other aids... I feel guilty like it's a bad thing. I don't know how to explain the feeling, but for some inexplicable reason, Mr. Conscience intervenes. And so I've been playing PC games (while waiting for GT5) with all driving aids off.

But I came to a dilemma when I saw Sebastian Vettel starting up on the X1 Prototype video. I'm like, "an F1 champion has the traction control on 4?!". It certainly got me to stop and think: if someone as good as him prefers to have traction control on, then why do PC sim racers prefer to have it off? Does it have to do with performance or experience?

I'd be glad if someone gives me a perspective on this thought. I only got into racing a few months earlier, so forgive my noobness. I don't watch F1, rally or any other racing shows and events on TV.

Edit:

Here's the image.

xlfu66-1.png

Last edited:
There is a reason that people are world champions, usually it is because they have an 'empathy' with the machine. Politics, money have changed our once great sports into a week facsimilie of the past.

If you were to talk to any WRC, F1 or MOTOGP champion fromthe 80's, 90's and 00's they would say how they were influenced by generation before and wished they could of been there.

For example, Colin Mcrae (RIP) was working on his 'interpretation' of what a WRC should be just before he passed away. I grew up with the birth of 4WD in WRC and just like F1 saw electronics ruin the spectacle but make the cars quicker.

It is the same with all forms, now at this point most people will quote 'rose tinted spectacles' etc. We as the average 'joe' on the street have neither the time or skill to master such machines. If the electronics help you access more performance for less heartache then all the better for you.

One of my best friends never tried to drive GT 1-3 without A/T and the "AIDS" on. I convinced how otherwise and now he swears by it.

What I am trying to say really is get out and enjoy the experience, when you get comfortable with the 'AIDS' turn them off and then experience a whole new game !

Feel free to add me on psn waboo

I drive with all of them off for most cars. But in real life, many race cars have traction control like the LMP cars. So it would make sense to use some traction control on a car like the X1 because if it was a real life model, I'm sure traction control would be integrated in it, no?

You should use whatever settings you can go fastest with dude :)
which for the best guys with the most skill means they can utilise the full braking force and power of the car by turning ABS and Traction control off but most others are going to be able to get around the track a little faster with a little help especially in the really powerful cars
Do you think the fastest guys wouldn't use ABS and TCS if it made them faster? of course they would :cheers:

The aids are a useful tool to help learn to manage a car on an unfamiliar track, or to help rein in cars that are potentially too powerful for their own good (I'm looking at you, Cerbera Speed Twelve!). As spectacularly quick as Vettel may be behind the wheel of his RB6, the X1 appears to be a monster. I'm sure that, with practice, he would graduate from the use of aids -- as a lot of us very well will, also.

its a matter of preferences.

he prolly doesnt drive with all "AIDES" on (no aids.. thats something horrible)..

in GT5P i drove the F40 without any stuff on.. i couldnt drive at all. i put the traction control to 1 and it was fantastic... but much higher than that and i didnt like it.

Uh, and don't some cars have traction control?

That would be a pretty good argument for keeping them on in my book.

But I came to a dilemma when I saw Sebastian Vettel starting up on the X1 Prototype video. I'm like, "an F1 champion has the traction control on 4?!". It certainly got me to stop and think: if someone as good as him prefers to have traction control on, then why do PC sim racers prefer to have it off? Does it have to do with performance or experience?
That's cause they don't race, it's a lot more enjoyable to race with traction control on especially with machines with 800+ horse power.

PC simers think they got something to prove and/or are better than everyone.

This is also something I have never understood.
They should have a realistic setting for all cars; e.g. Car with ABS in real life have ABS in the game, same with traction control.

How will the Nissan GTR handle for example?
The standard GTR has traction control which you cannot fully turn off, so which settings are you suppose to use in game?
T/C on? and if so at what level?

Each to his own.

In GT5P I drove with everything turned off except TC (which I left at 4).

he prolly doesnt drive with all "AIDES" on (no aids.. thats something horrible)..

in GT5P i drove the F40 without any stuff on.. i couldnt drive at all. i put the traction control to 1 and it was fantastic... but much higher than that and i didnt like it.

Yeah, it's a matter of preference, obviously full on traction control and ASM is as far from realism as you can get unless you hit standard physics in prologue, then it'd be even worse. but that option isn't in GT5 as it says in normal mode it runs with full pro physics on in normal mode.

Side note, he spelled "Aids" right, I guess saying Driving Aids, would of made it look better.

As a side note, we can always boast about how we can pilot the X1 around Nurburgring without assistance, unlike Vettel. What a noob! :lol:

Need i remind you that the car Vettel is about to drive has a power to weight ratio of nearly 3000bhp per tonne... (if i remember correctly)

Realistically, you wouldn't be able to drive that car without TC at least assisting you slightly with the crappy steering wheel and pedals that he's using.

I've done a bit of racing in my time, Touring Cars mostly (Porsche Carrera Cup, stuff like that EDIT: I just probably just mention that this was all amateur stuff...Done through a pay to drive program :D Troll away) and Traction Control slows you down, because it doesn't let you drive on the limit, but with that car, I can only imagine that you put your foot down a thousandth of a second too early, and you'll be into the wall.

Same here. That race in prologue with the f40 I just found impossible with all aids off too. Something wasn't right I just couldn't tame the car to the point of keeping consistency without spinning out all the time when pushing to the very limit.

I think aids are great. You start off with them on (for example you first sim racer like gt1 and 2.) and as you progress get them down and down. Hell I started with automatic then one day thought why am I driving an auto when I can drive a manual car in real life and wouldn't dream of an auto.

So from that day on I moved forward. If you don't you will progress but the game won't move forward with you. You will win by a considerable margin in every race every time... And where's the fun in that.

I understand what you're saying, and for the most part I turn them all off too, but if I am driving something that has, say, 1,000 hp, I normally will turn TCS up to around 2. I always leave ABS and ASM off though.

Every single driving aid will be being turned completely off in my game.

And there had better be the ability to force all driving aids off in an online game.

Somewhat unrelated, but Formula 1 just took traction control off their cars this past season.

Before this season, F1 cars did indeed have traction control.
No need to feel guilty!
It's not a dick wagging contest, it's a video game.

Have fun
Have fun
Have fun

As a side note, we can always boast about how we can pilot the X1 around Nurburgring without assistance, unlike Vettel. What a noob! :lol:

Yeah he can drive a F1 without TC but virtual cars leave him.:boggled:

:lol:

Last edited:
all off for me. I would rather sacrifice lap time for the fun of knowing (and feeling) the rear tires start to slide. Im sure there is a time advantage but i cant bring myself to do it.

I stopped using them a long time ago and it helped me become much smoother turning in and a lot less aggressive going from 100% brakes to 100% throttle even with a 6 axis, I have recently made the switch to a wheel and the smoothness and control in my driving has gone up again. Do what your happy with theres no shame in using them at all, in the rain races I will more than likely use tcs to see if it helps corner exit speed/control. A few years back j.P Montoya did a test in an M3 1 lap tcs on 1 lap without, he matched the tcs time but later said he could not do the lap times it lap after lap but he could with it on.

No need to feel guilty. Leaving the aids on just takes some of the challenge away and makes it less involving.

Some people think they gain baller status with it.. You don't, really.

IF we can pilot the X1 without assistance

It looks like a real behemoth of a car to drive, which begs the question really.

What's harder to control?

- PD Formula Car
- PD RBR X1

I bet I will be much more friendly with the Stratos than those two, based on my recent GTPSP tryouts of the Stratos and Formula Car, but I may take that back later...

In any case I always have Aides off, except ABS, which I will take off... eventually... after I actually start driving in real life that is...

Back