Logitech - Driving Force Wireless Wheel

• Thread starter Torero82
  • 14 comments
Torero
Hello

I saw this wheel at Best Buy for $50

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Logitech+-+Driving+Force+Wireless+Wheel+for+PlayStation+3+and+PlayStation+2/9359954.p?id=1218090909270&skuId=9359954

and I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with it.

This wheel has no pedal nor shifter module, everything is on or behind the wheel, and it has a rotation of 200*. I like all this because I do not want to move a lot, yes, I'm lazy :-Þ But I'm wondering if any of you has had any problems with it, or if it hard to use or to control, or any experience good or bad you had with it.

Thank you for your answers.

My roomie has one of these, though I think he got it a bit cheaper than what Best Buy is offering. The lap wings are great, sometimes I wish I had them on my DFP and GT3RS :lol: It doesn't feel as high quality as the other Logitechs (DFP/GT, G25/27), but I never got the impression that anything was cheap enough to break easily.

Good value and convenience for a casual gamer, if you ask me.

I just bought this on amazon, just made a post about it on here, haha.

From what I read it is a fine wheel for the price, I mean mine was 58 with overnight shipping. Here is a nice review from the sim race central guys.

They have a love/hate relationship with it but these guys are also used to full blown cockpit rigs so you have to take the few gripes they have with a grain of salt.

I'm using it as a "Training Wheel" and if I'm still on it in a year or so than I will step up to a DFGT or something. Also going to be nice to have something other than my controller on release day. I get mine tomorrow so I will post something here or in my thread about what I think of it on HD Concept, Grid and Dirt 2

I get mine in the morning so hopefully I can find some time to turn some laps and post something. I figure it will be a little wiggly and such but I'm thinking if I have to I can use some vice clamps and strap it to something if it comes to that.

I want to get my hands on it though, the guys in this review don't pull the leg things out. They pull outwards a bit, I wonder if you pulled them out and used the sides of your legs to press outwards against them if it would hold it more steady. I guess I will try tomorrow lol.

You can find my thoughts about this wheel here.

In short - decent intro wheel for the price, as long as you can find a stable platform to use it on (or if you happen to be fine using it on your lap).

This wheel works with GT5?

Yes, I just got it yesterday and it works great. One thing: Make sure to turn the wheel side-to-side before the start of each race (when it shows the 3 views of your car at the starting line) to re-calibrate it.

I am very pleasantly surprised with this wheel. I got it at Best Buy for $50 and it may not be as good as a full setup (I had Forza 3 w/ XBOX wheel previously) but it makes up for it in ease of setup. The power cable is VERY long (probably about 12ft). With my other wheel I had to drag out the wheel, pedals, table, chair, and put it all together to start playing. It is VERY convenient. With this guy I just leave it under the table beside my couch and pull it out in 10 secs.

It will take some getting used to, but I was racing just as fast as with my controller in 3 races or so.

The really great thing about it is that you don't need to do any extra setup for it to work well. Even with a nicer wheel like a DFGT, or G25/G27 you really have to get a nice cockpit setup going and that will cost you at least an extra $100 or so to get right no mentioning the time involved in building it.

TLDR: If you are just a guy that wants a wheel without all the fuss, get it. The throttle and steering control improvements from a Dual Shock are immense, and it's cheaper than a Dual Shock as well.

Yes, I just got it yesterday and it works great. One thing: Make sure to turn the wheel side-to-side before the start of each race (when it shows the 3 views of your car at the starting line) to re-calibrate it.

I am very pleasantly surprised with this wheel. I got it at Best Buy for $50 and it may not be as good as a full setup (I had Forza 3 w/ XBOX wheel previously) but it makes up for it in ease of setup. The power cable is VERY long (probably about 12ft). With my other wheel I had to drag out the wheel, pedals, table, chair, and put it all together to start playing. It is VERY convenient. With this guy I just leave it under the table beside my couch and pull it out in 10 secs.

It will take some getting used to, but I was racing just as fast as with my controller in 3 races or so.

The really great thing about it is that you don't need to do any extra setup for it to work well. Even with a nicer wheel like a DFGT, or G25/G27 you really have to get a nice cockpit setup going and that will cost you at least an extra $100 or so to get right no mentioning the time involved in building it.

TLDR: If you are just a guy that wants a wheel without all the fuss, get it. The throttle and steering control improvements from a Dual Shock are immense, and it's cheaper than a Dual Shock as well.

Got this on Tuesday, so far I'm having a difficult time...not used to wheel racing and I'm not matching my controller times at all. It's a good entry level wheel for sure!

Even with my lack of ability so far, every once in a while everything comes together and I put in some really fast lap times but normally I'm all over the place!

Really enjoying it though!

Hello!
just got this wheel yesterday and besides the Wii wheel I have for MarioKart it is my first "real" wheel ever.

Feels quite plasticky, but for the very low price, it's okay. Couldn't match yet my times with the dualshock, but I guess it just takes some practice.

One question though: I can't find how to zoom (R1 button on the dualshock). It won't zoom pressing R1 or any other button on the DFW... Anyone got a clue?

Thanks a lot!

The Driving Force Wireless is a great wheel! I have had mine for about a 2 years now, and I mostly used it for Midnight Club: Los Angeles - and now GT5. I have used it for about 50 hours in GT5 - and the difference between a DS3 and this wheel is HUGE! And it still doesn't show any signs of wear and tear.

Dojoman --> You accellerate and break with two "pedals" behind the wheel. It sounds strange perhaps, but it is easy to learn and no problem really. To me the lack of pedals on the floor is perfect! This way it is easy to stow away when not used, which is important to me. I am 34 now - and my crip is now our living room ;-) .

The Dane

Latest Posts

Back