The small touches in this game are remarkable.

• Thread starter MidianGTX
  • 215 comments
MidianGTX
I thought I had most of them figured out by now, but they're still coming. My favourite small touch of the moment:

As most of you know, swerving left and right when in cockpit view in the rain causes the water droplets to move with the force. I was messing around on the High Speed Ring, when I decided to take a look out of the back window of my car, obviously being the back there were less raindrops there and they weren't moving too much due to lack of wind... then I hit a rumble strip and all the little droplets of water shake off with the vibration. Colour me amazed. Not many people are even going to spend the time looking out of the rear window to notice a detail like that, but it's happening.

Any more you guys want to add? :)

For me, it's the way you can see miles into the distance. I was watching a video of one of the Eiger Nordward rally stages on YouTube - the long one - and at some points, you can see the opposite end of the circuit. Polyphony clearly put a lot of work into this stage.

I haven't even driven Eiger yet, but I'm looking forward to it now. I was also impressed with the Photo Travel animations, I was totally expecting a freeze frame of a scene, but seeing the day/night cycle and landing planes in the Red Bull area is awesome. It adds another random aspect to the photos that means we won't keep seeing the same shots from people.

I haven't got to play yet, just picked up my CE this morning. I watched the "launch" trailer and noticed in one of the scenes the brakes were glowing bright red? It is at 00:30 in the Video. I wonder if during night races you can visually see this while racing or in replays?

The damage & deformation I experienced in Arcade mode, though it took too long to achieve, is astounding...

Also, it may not mean a lot to everyone, but the soundtrack/menu music alone is worth the $60 for me :)

For me it's the cockpit camera work/shake when driving over the little bumps at high speeds, and the aggressive camera work when taking a turn in SSR7-wet.

I totally blew my first turn in a kart because i had noticed while getting off the gas to get on the brake that my driver's feet were working the pedals.

For me it's the cockpit camera work/shake when driving over the little bumps at high speeds, and the aggressive camera work when taking a turn in SSR7-wet.

Adding on to this... In cockpit view, if you're going fast and slam in to the back of someone, the view slams forward like your head would. Sense of immersion.

One little thing that one might overlook, if you are using the G25 the game automatically switches between gated shifting and paddle shifting on the fly. Clutch is activated by a simple press of the clutch pedal, very nifty. Ahh I'm going to continue searching through arcade mode before actually playing GT Mode, no need for me to rush into this.

Which car the Cappuccino or the MX5? The cappuccino looks neat and it's under powered but it's FR, and we know how sweet it is to go sideways.

One little thing that one might overlook, if you are using the G25 the game automatically switches between gated shifting and paddle shifting on the fly. Clutch is activated by a simple press of the clutch pedal, very nifty. Ahh I'm going to continue searching through arcade mode before actually playing GT Mode, no need for me to rush into this.

Which car the Cappuccino or the MX5? The cappuccino looks neat and it's under powered but it's FR, and we know how sweet it is to go sideways.

That's nice. Gone are the days when you have to press the triangle. I believe GT5P already had the dual-clutch/semi-auto and manual clutch differentiation (on the G25). Example in GT5P, you can only use sequential (paddle and regular stick) on the Ferrari California/F2007 and not H-gated/clutch. Still, it's nice to have it back in GT5P.

One thing I noticed that they are missing - illuminated dash gauges when the lights are on and it isn't dark. I was racing in the snow in a Dodge Challenger and the lights were on, it was snowing, so it wasn't totally dark, but the dash gauges weren't lit. Out of all the things that they got right, I am surprised that they missed this one. 👎

For me I noticed that in the rally Videos, you had near to no visibility when you were 10 meters (30ft) from someone's tail because of the dust and snow..... just like real WRC :drool:

Also, it may not mean a lot to everyone, but the soundtrack/menu music alone is worth the $60 for me :)
Quoted for truth. It's even worth the $200 Signature Edition price for me.

I noticed that there's a small, slightly brighter dot at the tip of the tach and speedometer needle. I don't know why but I really like that.

I have noticed that the game runs at a higher level of AA than Prologue. I do not know how PD pulled it off, but way to go.

I totally blew my first turn in a kart because i had noticed while getting off the gas to get on the brake that my driver's feet were working the pedals.

lol 👍 I remember before the race, reving the kart and seeing his foot move, was brilliant.

Really? The more I play, the more I hate this game. The AI is terrible. They just run into me no matter what. Doing this Top Gear Track Challenge is annoying. They don't care to bump me on the side and make me crash. Not at all. Car is already awful in handling and they just don't care. You bump them, it's over. They bump you, it's over. What a load of crap. No one moves and stays over. They are on rails. Sigh. Oh ****, fast guy passing me, imma turn into him cause in real life I damage my car on purpose!!!

On one run, I was swift and pass up three in a small area. I get DQ'd, and I wasn't out of bounds or anything. This isn't "fun". They don't drive like real people.

LOL Pesmerga, I hated that Special Event too. I just settled for silver, w/e I move on.

The little detail I liked was the Nissan 370Z has Synro Rev Match feature. I was hearing the car rev matching when I downshifted. When I realized what it was I smiled :)

For me, it's the way you can see miles into the distance. I was watching a video of one of the Eiger Nordward rally stages on YouTube - the long one - and at some points, you can see the opposite end of the circuit. Polyphony clearly put a lot of work into this stage.

You got the game yet? I'm keen to start up some Aus rooms.

Anyone notice the at night events, especially the Toscana Track Generator course, the fireworks have Realtime sound.

Stop your car near a 'show' to hear some real good dynamic sounds! Also, the further you are from each the explosion, that bigger the gap between the Flash, then the bang.

It's a car game! Flippin' Amazing! I like sitting in the cockpit of a Cobra, looking Left and Right, on top of a good hill, you can see all the night.... :drool:

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool: Is all I can dooooooluuuuuh.....

Last edited:
Really? The more I play, the more I hate this game. The AI is terrible. They just run into me no matter what. Doing this Top Gear Track Challenge is annoying. They don't care to bump me on the side and make me crash. Not at all. Car is already awful in handling and they just don't care. You bump them, it's over. They bump you, it's over. What a load of crap. No one moves and stays over. They are on rails. Sigh. Oh ****, fast guy passing me, imma turn into him cause in real life I damage my car on purpose!!!

On one run, I was swift and pass up three in a small area. I get DQ'd, and I wasn't out of bounds or anything. This isn't "fun". They don't drive like real people.

Top gear challenge with the elise is difficult yeah, but the car handles amazingly , especially with aids turned off, it's just a pretty steep learning curve, but after 3-4 hours practice it's all automatic.

And yeah the cars are on rails there its stupid, it's not like that in normal races though, I think they just did it to make things consistent for those challenges, so you can't win because of an AI **** up.

The collision penalties are very iffy at times though I'll give you that.

I spent 3 hours to get silver with a controller and no skid control/asc/steering aid/tc , only to have my ps3 freeze and the silver trophy being gone when I reboot it because I never exited the event (was going for gold) , so it never saved.

I'm still looking forward to continuing that event tomorrow, if it wasn't alot of fun I would dread it instead.

Maybe it's not such a "little" thing. But tonight some friends and I were going around Circuit de la Sarthe. While the sun was setting, it began to rain, just a little at first, but then it got more intense. I was very impressed by it.

I like the slack in the steering when you overcook a corner in an FF and how the new physics make it more fun to point and squirt those cars without ABS enabled. My lap-times suffer tremendously, but it sure is fun.

👍

Back