Car handling --- Different online

• Thread starter Sail IC
  • 294 comments
johnkiller2
Have any of you noticed any difference in the way the car handles online vs. going through the A-spec events or in practice.

I just started playing online and I felt cars being a little more tail-happy online and couldn't reach the same lap times as in practice. A little slower.

I just completed a tune of the Ferrari 458 Italia, fully upgraded (700+ hp, slicks, min weight, etc). As its difficult to get this car to exit out of a corner on a tight line, the tune became somewhat twitchy. But its reasonable fast and enabled me a 1'54.9 at Suzuka in practice mode.

Then I went online and the car is impossible to drive. No rear-end grip at all. Its a completely different car. I always drive with all assists off except ABS=, and the same in online. Then I changed some of the more aggressive parts of the tune, and the car became drivable online but still very different to practice.

Anybody else noticed this ???

Have any of you noticed any difference in the way the car handles online vs. going through the A-spec events or in practice.

I just started playing online and I felt cars being a little more tail-happy online and couldn't reach the same lap times as in practice. A little slower.

I just completed a tune of the Ferrari 458 Italia, fully upgraded (700+ hp, slicks, min weight, etc). As its difficult to get this car to exit out of a corner on a tight line, the tune became somewhat twitchy. But its reasonable fast and enabled me a 1'54.9 at Suzuka in practice mode.

Then I went online and the car is impossible to drive. No rear-end grip at all. Its a completely different car. I always drive with all assists off except ABS=, and the same in online. Then I changed some of the more aggressive parts of the tune, and the car became drivable online but still very different to practice.

You sure the assist is set the same in your A Spec game and the online server?

I know you get more grip if you're in last place compared to 1st place. So it seems..... Is there an option to remove that in online racing?

I'm not the fastest kid on the block but I'm not a noob. In the last GT5P Fuji 700pp event I always laped in the 1'38 with my own tune normally winning races (pb at 1'37.9), but sure, there were quicker guys too.

I double checked the room, I even created my own room to test. All assists off except ABS, tires unrestricted. I tried my other favorit cars, ZR-1 rm, Elise rm, Honda Tanaka dome NSX. The other cars felt just a little loser at the rear, and a tad slower (1 sec tops) than in practice mode.

We all have our own tuning approach. I focus to get it fast accelerating out of corners by dailing in oversteer and then making it forgiving by turning down throttle LDS. Thinking is that if I overcook it a bit, the lower LSD setting will prevent the car from spinning around by just spinning one of the wheels. Less tracktion and its a compromise. Given the inherent throttle-understeer of the 458 Italia, I had to do this more extreme than in the other cars, but I could still drive it aggressively in practice mode, but it was a bit twitchy.

I struggled a bit at the Nascar LV23 championship. First four races, dead easy, but in the fifth (Daytona) the car lost speed in the corners despite full throttle and all assist off except ABS=1. Then I got the tip to turn ABS=0. When I did, dead easy, and the car cornered faster on full throttle.

Conclusion and a theory. When running all assists off but ABS=1 in A-spec and Practice, there is still a small level of skid/traction control built in, as evident by Nascars at Daytona. Perhaps that skid/traction control is not in the model when running ABS=1 online.

Yesterday I tuned my Honda Tanaka Dome NSX sitting at 485hp/1170kg at Suzuka.

First ran it in practice mode and managed a 1'53.8. Then I created a room (tune - no race) to tune it a bit more. First I couldn't match the pace and could only get down to a 1'55.1.

After some tuning I got it to do 1'53.7, and I was reasonably happy with the tune.. Then I took it back to practice mode for a couple of laps. The car went from balanced to a slight under-steer. Even if I didn't 100% like how the car handled I managed a 1'53.1. The car felt grippier. When accelerating out of the hairpin, Online I had to be more careful on the throttle than in practice mode.

Do you guys get the same lap times online as you get in practice ?

(I double checked the all assists off except ABS=1 and tires settings)

Interesting thread. I'll check my times in a-spec and online mode and let you know.

From the lap times you are posting i see you are a very quick driver,maybe you wanna join me and my regular online partners for some fast and clean races.

Shoot me a pm if you're interested.

I race with no driver aids either and have been playing aspec for a while, i went online for the first time last night and felt exactly the same as you my cars just didnt feel the same much more tail happy out of slow corners, i was using the lexus isf concept race car and i had to check i had racing slicks on it, it was spinning the wheels so easily compared to aspec and practice, there is defo something goin on there :crazy:

also i got so fed up last night of goin in races and getting idiots who cant race so they just ram me off the road! not a very good first online experience for me:grumpy:

if anyone actually races fair and clean add me tommyzoom99 be good to actually have a race online:tup:

Haha... The whole Physics are different. Try to roll your Car.... Trail Mountain easiest place. It does not work online... How Strange is that. Please ... Someone... Proof me wrong

I also noticed that the cars definnantly handle and feel different then in normal mode, ive created my own rooms and even then the car handles alot different to how it is in GT mode.

SPOILER (select to see):

When you "finish" the game you get credit and there's one for the online physics. So yeah wouldnt surprise me.

I know you get more grip if you're in last place compared to 1st place. So it seems..... Is there an option to remove that in online racing?

If you keep "boost" turned off like it is standard, you don't go faster when in last position.

for everyone saying it feels different online: it does. Online tire wear is on, fuel goes low and the tires really need to warm up unlike a-spec mode. These tiny differences make the car feel different, it's what GT5 is all about. DETAILS!

I love this wayyyy better than a-spec!

If you keep "boost" turned off like it is standard, you don't go faster when in last position.

for everyone saying it feels different online: it does. Online tire wear is on, fuel goes low and the tires really need to warm up unlike a-spec mode. These tiny differences make the car feel different, it's what GT5 is all about. DETAILS!

I love this wayyyy better than a-spec!

Cant the tire/fuel consumption be turned off online?

Yeah, the difference is definitely there. I don't know if it is just down to tire temperature or not. I'll have to start a long race tomorrow and test that theory. However, to me it feels like only the REAR is losing grip, the front appears to have all the grip it normally has...

I have a number of cars I specifically want to use for online play, but when I take them online I get massive uncontrollable oversteer even if I'm driving them far, far below their limits. These are already very oversteery cars (Alpine 1600s, Yellowbird, Lancia Stratos), and I'm running them all on completely stock suspension. I haven't managed to get a single clean lap in any of them in any online race. Considering how much I drive these cars, and how well I know them, this is very annoying. :(

And yes, I make sure when I host the race that all the driving aids are off. Boost is off also.

Last edited:
i noticed this too at first in my audi R8. I find it impossible to spin the car in A spec mode but online it spun straight out on the first lap. I created my own room and found that after a few free run laps the car felt more stable. I put it down to the tyres being cold. I drive with all assists off and ABS at 1.

Yeah I def feel a difference, say in the karts. Ill run 39.68's allday in practice at autumn ring mini, and step online and be lucky to hit 39.8's and 9's :yuck:. Ive noticed it has alot to do with how many laps its set too. If the race is set to 6 laps the car is super loose till about lap 5. If we are running 20 laps shes tight. :ouch:

I created an online race today and in the Alpine 1600s drove 20+ laps on Sports Soft tires at Trial Mountain. The car's handling was never even close to correct during any lap, so I think we can eliminate tires temperature as the cause. So tire grip may indeed be changing (as it should) with temperature, but this is definitely not the root cause of the problem we are having. Some cars are worse than others. My Ferrari 512 changes somewhat, but remains at least vaguely similar in character. My Alpine on the other hand becomes completely undrivable.

I'll be doing some more testing tonight and try to figure things out further.

Last edited:
SPOILER (select to see):

When you "finish" the game you get credit and there's one for the online physics. So yeah wouldnt surprise me.

Are you absolutely sure about this? Do you have a screen-shot? Have you actually done this yourself? Does it make the cars handle properly online? Personally I don't see this as a spoiler and would like to discuss it, but I'll leave it up to you to decide if you want to remove the spoiler status.

I can run the exact same times or close online than I do in ASPEC. If I'm a second slower or so it's only because I missed a couple of corners.... It doesn't take much of a mistake and you can ruin a lap.

I think it's exactly the same physics besides tire wear which is definately noticeable after 10 laps. And the DAMAGE is awesome as well.

Funny i thought exactly the same the first time i was playing online.

I had just been doing the itermidiate AMG challenge on the ring. I always go into the options and turn everything off ecxept ABS 1. First time i drove this car i was like wow is this thing on rails, it felt like it was glued to the road.

Then when i goto my own lobby to play with a friend. I have set the room to all aids not allowed and select the same car as in the itermidiate AMG challenge, and now to my surprise it feels a lot more slipery.

klondike: the SLS is tuned in the challenge...

kekke2000: tire temperature works the same offline... and im not sure but i think tire wear is in practice too.

Im not sure what to make of it... is does seem less grippy online with some cars. But i dont really see a reason why would the physics be different online let alone more difficult/less grippy. Its really weird, theres definitely something going on. Every setting is exactly the same. (no aids, real grip, car setup)

Last edited:
Its all up to cold tires which dont exist offline. End of story :)👍

Really? Then please back that up with some evidence. It is very frustrating when people just assert "stuff" and think that because they said it it is a fact.

As I mentioned above, I just spent plenty of time earlier today driving my 1600s around Trial Mountain. I used exactly the same tires as I do offline. And this is a car I know incredibly well, so it isn't like I'm getting in a new car that I don't know and trying to make this judgement. At no point during the tire-wear cycle did this car drive even remotely like it should. The rear was always absurdly loose both off and on throttle. Just trying to maintain a gentle steady-state corner was extremely difficult. Snap-back was also increased, so that even though I seemed to have less grip, any attempt at counter-steering is much more likely to jerk my wheel around and send me off in the opposite direction. I just played with it again for a bit, and if I put racing softs on the rear and racing mediums on the front, I can get it to feel at least like the same car as it is offline. It still isn't really right, but at least I can tell "I'm driving the Alpine 1600s".

Now, if you want to convince me to you point of view; In fact, if you want your statement to have any appearance of validity whatsoever, you need to support it with evidence.

I would really like to track this down. Maybe people without FFB wheels don't have this same problem? We should probably all state which controller we are using:

Fanatec GT3rs v2

Last edited:
IMHO it does appear to be "tyre" related.... all the private online racing i have done the damage and tyre wear appears to affect the car much more than in A-spec... and i know that most of you will not agree and scream for evidence... the only evidence i have is that the tyre wear indicators are changing color (to red) within my 3 lap races (on sport tyres medium/soft) which never seems to happen in A-spec or when doing time trial... and i am not a crazy guy that uses the walls/rails to corner... i am slow in fast out technique.. minimal tyre scream etc (im using a G27)

whatever the problem/difference is... i have no complaints with the physics of the on line racing... i think it is great... and the visual damage is definitely greater on line too.. just my 2c i'm sure everyone will have their take/opinion on what is causing the difference...

Back