GT5 vs GT5 Prologue - image quality, views

• Thread starter CoolColJ
  • 70 comments
CoolColJ, GTP_CoolColJ
I decided to boot up Prologue again today, and immediately noticed how much cleaner and more refined Prologue looked.
I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but Fuji looks murkier lighting wise in GT5 vs Prologue, and reflections on the car seemed a lot lower res and choppy in motion

The cockpit view is different to among other things

edit ------

Image sharpness and texture comparison here
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=4308122&posted=1#post4308122

edit -------

GT5 Prologue -
Has better overall image quality, better interior shadows and reflections.
Nice wind sound which enhances feeling of speed
Horrible and annoying tyre noises.

Physics feel terrible, a bit like skating on ice.

watch in 720p for a better impression
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBSXDeEKeU4

GT5 -
Has better sound, although the whine annoying and too loud IMO. Engine sounds nice down low, but gets a bit "chipmunked" up high.
The tyre sounds are better and have variations. The interior collison sound is horrible though. Lacks the wind noise :(

Better smoke and tyre marks.

The standard interior view is slightly higher and a little further back, I like the higher position but it doesn't feel as immersive as Prologue's cockpit view IMO. You can move the view closer, but it's too big a jump. Wish GT5 had a slider instead of presets

There is an overall more murky look and not quite as sharp. Seems darker too on the same settings.
Don't like the extra tinting on the glass. The shadows are more jagged inside the car, the reflection are more obvious and of lower quality, popup, lower res and and lower framerate than the rest of the game.

Really bad exterior shadow flickering and quality :/

You can see Texture LOD pop in on the replay with the green Sega Sammy Group overhead banner on the straight.

Physics are much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE18-zlseHw

-------

Prologue - Art Morrison Corvette
prologue.jpg

GT5 Standard view - a little higher and further back
gt5standard.jpg

GT5 Narrow option
gt5narrow.jpg

Last edited:
The difference is that the car got a windshield in GT5 while in GT5p it seems non-existant.
Also your sitting a tad higher in the car. I prefer the GT5 look.

I notice the windscreen has a tint now. Makes it look worse. Maybe the real car has a tinted screen? Some windscreens will change the colour anyway as it will have a very slight tint but the effect in the game doesn't look good to me.

I'm going to grab some screens as I felt GT5P looked better generally in IQ but eurogamer screens said otherwise. GT4 prologue looked better than GT4.

The difference is much more noticable with video, I have one I'll edit together and Youtube tommorrow

GT5P looks better in cockpit. Im driving bumper cam now as they have totally ruined cockpit. So much smoother and brighter, better visually in GTP5.

With less tracks and cars etc they could afford to improve textures and details in GT5P. Ive still got GTHD and thats even smoother and crisper looking. Something i cant believe is the longer ive waited the worse certain areas have got.

When they showed off cockpit view in a video with the F430 at Daytona i was blown away. Just what the series needed. And when every car in GTP5 had cockpit cam, brilliant. And now .... well now im playing the same view i did in GT1.

Judder vision at high speeds just looks naf in GT5.

They have tried to emulate what NFS Shift does pretty well and failed.

Shift does pretty well ?

How differently people think, i really don't like the on-board camera in Shift... too much blur and camera shake, sometimes i can't even understand what's happening.

GT5P looks better in cockpit. Im driving bumper cam now as they have totally ruined cockpit. So much smoother and brighter, better visually in GTP5.

With less tracks and cars etc they could afford to improve textures and details in GT5P. Ive still got GTHD and thats even smoother and crisper looking. Something i cant believe is the longer ive waited the worse certain areas have got.

When they showed off cockpit view in a video with the F430 at Daytona i was blown away. Just what the series needed. And when every car in GTP5 had cockpit cam, brilliant. And now .... well now im playing the same view i did in GT1.

Judder vision at high speeds just looks naf in GT5.

They have tried to emulate what NFS Shift does pretty well and failed.

^ Not really, Kaz was trying to emulate the same feelings he got racing in the 24 hour Nurburgring. See 11:30

Are people about to start moaning about a bit of window tint? Because we've had some pretty pointless complaints in the past already... this is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Well GT5P had less of a strain visually as it had like 70 cars? and 5 tracks? To put all of the content PD have done with GT5 you have to take a hit somewhere, and they chose visually. It still looks great, best looking racing game after..... GT5P :sly:

Well GT5P had less of a strain visually as it had like 70 cars? and 5 tracks? To put all of the content PD have done with GT5 you have to take a hit somewhere, and they chose visually. It still looks great, best looking racing game after..... GT5P :sly:

Y'know... content doesn't really matter since it's not all being loaded at once. They could have a million cars and tracks if it'd fit on the disc, it still only has to load one track and a few cars at a time.

Why would there be any strain? It's the same car from Prologue, it's already been modelled. On the same track, doing a solo run.

The reflections you see on the car as you go by overhead objects is low res, lesser framerate than the rest of the game is running at, and filled with popup in GT5, versus Prologue. You'll see them all over the bonnet from cockpit view so it's pretty distracting in a bad way

^ Not really, Kaz was trying to emulate the same feelings he got racing in the 24 hour Nurburgring. See 11:30

I think NFS Shift may be a little OTT at times in cockpit but has a great sense of emmersion and what it would be like to drive/race a really powerful car.

The new judder effect just dont work for me. It degrades the visuals.

Think Kaz was shakin like a ******** dog round the ring then.

Y'know... content doesn't really matter since it's not all being loaded at once. They could have a million cars and tracks if it'd fit on the disc, it still only has to load one track and a few cars at a time.

It does because aslong as it is on the same disc, there is much more to the game. It doesn't load up everything but it doesn't exactly black out everything else.
EDIT: @ Cool, PD won't just downgrade the graphics, there is obviously a reasson to it. (Remember, reverse lights, tire strength thing, smoke & tire marks)

Why would there be any strain? It's the same car from Prologue, it's already been modelled. On the same track, doing a solo run.

Well there wouldn't, which is what I said. But according to the Eurogamer breakdown the change from 12 to 16 cars on track resulted in very slightly lower textures, so obviously having more cars on screen is more of a strain. Solo it wouldn't matter, but the game isn't gonna swap textures depending on how many cars are present.

It does because aslong as it is on the same disc, there is much more to the game. It doesn't load up everything but it doesn't exactly black out everything else.

If that were true, the bump from 70 cars to 1031 would have thrown the graphics back into the 8-bit era. Content on the disc (or HDD since it's installed) that isn't being accessed uses zero CPU/GPU. Some of it may be stored in RAM, but that's no biggie, it'd just get overwritten if the memory got low.

Are people about to start moaning about a bit of window tint? Because we've had some pretty pointless complaints in the past already... this is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I agree.

It seems like 70% of people are always moaning about something, instead of looking at the positive stuff, people just seem to be purposely looking for tiny little negative things to moan about. I feel like no matter what GT5 was like they would be moaning about something instead of just enjoying the game.

GT5 has better gfx overall but shadows are bad and even the retail version has some gfx glitches :( but it is beautiful, realistic looking game

Shadows were a lot better in Prologue (Look at the rear-view mirror shadow on the dash)

Yes that's right.

Supposedly they had to lower the shadows so they could have more dynamic shadows on the buildings etc for the day to night transition. GT5P has jaggy shadows but they've been lowered further in GT5. Some expected GT5 to fix this but its got worse.

I also think the much better tyre smoke effects, track side textures, skid makes (which actually stay put) would put a strain on things.

I'd still they could keep the low res stuff for the weather/transition to those few tracks that have it unless PD plan to add this to more or just consistency.

Shadows and flickering has been done to death so lets looks around those. How is the lighting and reflections.

Last edited:
I don't have Prologue, but I've read other users reporting that certain road and grass textures (for example) were better, more detailed than in GT5.

EDIT: @ Cool, PD won't just downgrade the graphics, there is obviously a reasson to it. (Remember, reverse lights, tire strength thing, smoke & tire marks)

UK I am afraind you don't understand how computer programs work.

MidianGTX is completely right, simply adding a bunch of cars to the disc in and of itself does nothing to the load on the system while playing.

For all intents and purpses the system DOES "black out" the resources it's not using to play that particular race.

Think of it kind of like this, if you have a deck of 52 cards and I deal you 5, you only have to hold and think about 5 cards at once.

If I add 1000 cards to the deck, you now have 1052 cards. If I deal you five again you still only have to hold and think about 5 cards at once.

In the same way, adding a bunch of cars or tracks to GT5 would not, in and of itself, increase the strain on the system at all during a race.

What I noticed immediately upon playing GT5 was the presence of "image noise" on the road surface. If you use the bumper cam you will immediately notice this. The road surface on Prologue seemed to have higher resolution textures. I also remember noticing some image noise on the whole screen when entering the tunnel at Cote d Azur.

UK I am afraind you don't understand how computer programs work.

MidianGTX is completely right, simply adding a bunch of cars to the disc in and of itself does nothing to the load on the system while playing.

For all intents and purpses the system DOES "black out" the resources it's not using to play that particular race.

Think of it kind of like this, if you have a deck of 52 cards and I deal you 5, you only have to hold and think about 5 cards at once.

If I add 1000 cards to the deck, you now have 1052 cards. If I deal you five again you still only have to hold and think about 5 cards at once.

In the same way, adding a bunch of cars or tracks to GT5 would not, in and of itself, increase the strain on the system at all during a race.

Fair enough, Midan may be right but the decrease in graphics is minimalistc and may have been caused by reverse lights, smoke & skid marks.

GT5P still is probably one of the best looking racing game but in GT5 tracks and overall gfx are obviously better. However it is not polished. Spending time on 3D and other things din't help but they should have fixed some glitches before release

GT5 first
GT5P Japan spec 1 second
gt5fuji.jpg

gt5pfuji.jpg

Pepsi test you'd probably say the second image is GT5. Check out the left corner textures either side of the barrier. Please note these are taken the same way (caputre card) but I may need to change my setup exposure for GT5's natural slightly higher exposure. I can see GT5P looks much more complete. Much nicer to look at in motion.

fujicornergt5.jpg

fujicornergt5p.jpg

GT5 better texture grass side. I shall check my PAL spec II as they may have updated the tracks marks. Despite the extra detail in GT5. GT5P in this pic seems more like a bumpmap effect and looks better texture, more so in motion. GT5 looks flat but nice gradients.

fujistandgt5.jpg

fujistandgt5p.jpg

GT5P has some clear grass on the left. GT5 has not and looks blurry. GT5 Backdrop texture is not as good. Road texture different. GT5 less detail in the rear view mirror. Maybe just happened, not sure.

Moment I played GT5 I thought it looks worse/blurrier in general. These small changes/dropbacks impact the whole image impression. Analysing just confirms your immediate suspicions. Conversely Add slight improvement in GT5p road texture and many would notice.

If you don't like it then there's thousands of other threads for you. GT5 replays are less compelling to me than GT5P because of the changes but then they're better in other ways.

Wow! People need to analyse less and play more (or less if you can actually see any practical difference that ruins the game that much for you).

movekf.jpg

Last edited:
fujistandgt5.jpg

fujistandgt5p.jpg

GT5P has some clear grass on the left. GT5 has not and looks blurry. GT5 Backdrop texture is not as good. Road texture different. GT5 less detail in the rear view mirror. Maybe just happened, not sure.

Moment I played GT5 I thought it looks worse/blurrier in general. These small changes/dropbacks impact the whole image impression. Analysing just confirms your immediate suspicions. Conversely Add slight improvement in GT5p road texture and many would notice.

If you don't like it then there's thousands of other threads for you. GT5 replays are less compelling to me than GT5P because of the changes but then they're better in other ways.

movekf.jpg

Be careful as there is too much truth in your post. Plenty of members can't take it methinks.

Shadows were a lot better in Prologue (Look at the rear-view mirror shadow on the dash)

They're both at different angles. The one in GT5P is from a much lower angle hence the almost straight shadow line and the reason why it is less jagged. In GT5 the view is higher and because of that the shadow is almost diagonal hence the jagged line. Like everything in life, things are not always what they appear to be.

And the good thing about Fuji is that you can still see the billboard 1.5km away. Depth of field is still very good. If you look at games like SHIFT, DOF is very short and narrow and replaced by abundance of blurriness.

Last edited:
Fair enough, Midan may be right but the decrease in graphics is minimalistc and may have been caused by reverse lights, smoke & skid marks.

Those are the far more likely culprits. But overall it's best not to just guess and say things as if they are fact when you don't know... it confuses subjects a lot and one person who doesn't know saying it as fact can easily produce dozens of people repeating said incorrect fact all over the place for a long time at which point it almost becomes true by repetition and damages letimate conclusions.

Back