Cockpit view - a trick for slightly better visibility

• Thread starter steiner
  • 29 comments
Germany
Saarland
Steiner84
Hi.

I've figured, alot of people have issues with the cockpit view offering to less visibility, even set to narrowest, according to some threads on here.
Well im no different and found myself mostly sticking to bumper cam as im faster with it.
However it did not do much for me either, I found a little trick to further adjust the view for more visibility. What u need is the playstation eye (camera coming with move or eyepet), and what u do is u go into arcade or whereever headtracking works (it also does in the seasonal drift events) switch to cockpit view and move ur head to the top middle of the car. This can be a little tricky, as you have to have your hands on the cable ready to unplug it in the right moment. The view should follow resulting in a more centric and higher viewpoint. On some cars u can even see the bonett. Once its set right for ypu, unplugg the camera. The viewpoint should stay the way it is the moment you unplug the camera. And as far as i can tell it remains that way even in gt mode and on a different car. (not entirely sure here. needs more investigation)
As I've said, it did not do too much for me, so im still sticking to bumper cam most of the time, but maybe its enough for some of you to go the cockpit way. For me the game feels different in cockpit and ive would love to be able to use it more, but i guess im just to slow/to often in the gras with it.

So, yeah thats it. Dont expect to much of it and it definatly needs more investigation how it exactly works - maybe its even completly useless, I just dont want it to be left uncovered. Thos of you who dont even consider cockpit view as it is now maybe shouldnt even try it, but those who are constantly switching and messing arround with cockpit view maybe can find this to be the last tickle needed to use cockpit view more often.

Sorry if this has been posted allready. At least i didnt came across it somewhere.

Regards.

Edit: Before someone gets overly excited about this, bear in mind, that im in no way sure if and how this works when chaning game modes, cars or even events. So dont buy a camera right away. It definatly needs investigation and confirmation. I cant test this more atm as i dont have the time right now.

Edit2:
Ok, what I did now, in GT Life I went into a training session (drift) with the Art Morrison Corvette. did the adjustment and left. I joined some tunercup in Aspec and it was still as I left it.
Then switched to the 458 Italia and left GT Mode. Returned and started the Ferrari Race on Monza in the professional series in ASpec. The adjusted point of view was still present.
Im quite sure it will reset to default each time u start the game itself. For longer sessions this surely is an option to go for, although it does not completely change things round. But it definately helps those who struggle so far.
And a bit surprising, on the two above mentioned cars it now did more for me as i would have expected.

Last edited:
I have a ps eye. This is great news to me! I love the cockpit view (pun not intended) and this should help get my driving position right. Thanks kindly stranger

I'll have to give this a shot. Fortunately, I picked up an Eye on the cheap back before the Move was announced and Target was selling Eye of Judgement/Eye bundles for a song. I dig cockpit view as-is on most cars. But some cars... man, I can't imagine driving them in real life, much less in-game. The Citroen GT is the worst I've seen so far. It's like looking through a mail slot.

The height of the view should be adjustable, which also should be updated in next patch. Maybe Japanese or Kaz is shorter than western people, so they set the view lower than normal (no offence, I'm just 175cm)
In addition, we should have the choice of opting for wider view instead of only narrower view. It's feasible, I guess.

I'll have to give this a shot. Fortunately, I picked up an Eye on the cheap back before the Move was announced and Target was selling Eye of Judgement/Eye bundles for a song. I dig cockpit view as-is on most cars. But some cars... man, I can't imagine driving them in real life, much less in-game. The Citroen GT is the worst I've seen so far. It's like looking through a mail slot.

Try the trans-cammer you can only see left handers and nothing on the right hand side!

Hi.

I've figured, alot of people have issues with the cockpit view offering to less visibility, even set to narrowest, according to some threads on here.
Well im no different and found myself mostly sticking to bumper cam as im faster with it.
However it did not do much for me either, I found a little trick to further adjust the view for more visibility. What u need is the playstation eye (camera coming with move or eyepet), and what u do is u go into arcade or whereever headtracking works (it also does in the seasonal drift events) switch to cockpit view and move ur head to the top middle of the car. This can be a little tricky, as you have to have your hands on the cable ready to unplug it in the right moment. The view should follow resulting in a more centric and higher viewpoint. On some cars u can even see the bonett. Once its set right for ypu, unplugg the camera. The viewpoint should stay the way it is the moment you unplug the camera. And as far as i can tell it remains that way even in gt mode and on a different car. (not entirely sure here. needs more investigation)
As I've said, it did not do too much for me, so im still sticking to bumper cam most of the time, but maybe its enough for some of you to go the cockpit way. For me the game feels different in cockpit and ive would love to be able to use it more, but i guess im just to slow/to often in the gras with it.

So, yeah thats it. Dont expect to much of it and it definatly needs more investigation how it exactly works - maybe its even completly useless, I just dont want it to be left uncovered. Thos of you who dont even consider cockpit view as it is now maybe shouldnt even try it, but those who are constantly switching and messing arround with cockpit view maybe can find this to be the last tickle needed to use cockpit view more often.

Sorry if this has been posted allready. At least i didnt came across it somewhere.

Regards.

Whenever I have my Playstation Eye Plugged in and use it for Arcade mode, the game will lock up after the race and will not return to the previous screen, this happens every time consistently, has this happened to others????????

Whenever I have my Playstation Eye Plugged in and use it for Arcade mode, the game will lock up after the race and will not return to the previous screen, this happens every time consistently, has this happened to others????????

Nope. Fortunately, I can't recall the game locking up on me at all so far.

u mean the game crashes?
if so, no hasnt happened to me so far.

No, it doesnt crash, it just locks, I look at the TV Screen and it is blank like it is in between changing screens.

I can see the lights on the playstation flashing like it is working, but nothing does, I have let it sit like that up to 15 minutes to see if it would recover, but is does not.

Pressing buttons has no effect at all.

well, besides ur my hero now, others do.
Is it wrong to share what i've found?

No, its good to share what you've found.
But I am curious to what sort of difficulty people are finding with the view?
Do you want to look up more or something?

This can be a little tricky, as you have to have your hands on the cable ready to unplug it in the right moment.

If you own a USB extension cable it would make it easier, you just have to pull the two cables apart. Just a thought.

No, its good to share what you've found.
But I am curious to what sort of difficulty people are finding with the view?
Do you want to look up more or something?
ok sorry then.
Just yesterday I saw multiple threads regarding cockpit view and in it several people having issues with it. one thread was opened exclusively for this issue. it left me with the feeling this is a common problem for alot (relatively) of people.
And yes, the essence of the complaints was that you don't see enough of the road.

Last edited:
If you own a USB extension cable it would make it easier, you just have to pull the two cables apart. Just a thought.

Thats what I have anyway ;)
But yeah good to mention.

Ok, what I did now, in GT Life I went into a training session (drift) with the Art Morrison Corvette. did the adjustment and left. I joined some tunercup in Aspec and it was still as I left it.
Then switched to the 458 Italia and left GT Mode. Returned and started the Ferrari Race on Monza in the professional series in ASpec. The adjusted point of view was still present.
Im quite sure it will reset to default each time u start the game itself. For longer sessions this surely is an option to go for, although it does not completely change things round. But it definately helps those who struggle so far.

edit: sorry for DP

Last edited:
ok sorry then.
Just yesterday I saw multiple threads regarding cockpit view and in it several people having issues with it. one thread was opened exclusively for this issue. it left me with the feeling this is a common problem for alot (relatively) of people.
And yes, the essence of the complaints was that you don't see enough of the road.

The problem with using bumper view for me is that you're too close to the road, and you cant see where the sides of the car are in relation to the road, you wont know before you do it if you've taken too much apex and in essence cut a corner, or if you've missed it altogether.
I'm used to cockpit view, but use hood view in Standard cars.
I think of it as wearing HANS, so your head movements are restricted.

ha, the image of Mr Bean stting in his armchair on the roof of his car, wearing a HANS comes to mind :D
good to hear that imaging a HANS does help you, it does not for me. Somehow the staticness of the car distract me, and im cornering to early. On the flipside however, iIt does help me at drifting sometimes :)

ha, the image of Mr Bean stting in his armchair on the roof of his car, wearing a HANS comes to mind :D
good to hear that imaging a HANS does help you, it does not for me. Somehow the staticness of the car distract me, and im cornering to early. On the flipside however, iIt does help me at drifting sometimes :)

The most realistic thought that comes to mind.

the only time i have to change out of the cockpit view is when the camera shakes so much you cant see the road, i prefer it lower as its way too high in the impreza RM, feels like youre sitting on the roof

The shaking is unbearable on the ovals. PD needs to play NFS shift to understand how a good cockpit view it supposed to look.

The problem with using bumper view for me is that you're too close to the road, and you cant see where the sides of the car are in relation to the road, you wont know before you do it if you've taken too much apex and in essence cut a corner, or if you've missed it altogether.
I'm used to cockpit view, but use hood view in Standard cars.
I think of it as wearing HANS, so your head movements are restricted.

It has been demonstrated pretty conclusively in another thread that 'bumper cam' is actually exactly the same perspective as cockpit cam, but without anything to see. Your height is the same as cockpit view. It REALLY needs to start to be called 'hood cam' (but with an invisible hood) as this more accurately reflects what it truly shows.

Then there is 'roof cam' which is approximately the position of a camera on the roof of a car (not someone sitting in a chair perched on top of the roof, as funny as this might be!), a camera position that many races on TV show us...

Then there is 'God Cam' which is the strangest viewpoint to drive a car from I've ever seen!

At some point or another, all of these racing game creators need to take a MUCH closer look at what you can REALLY see from any of these perspectives. Only roof cam and God Cam have got it right in GT5, I am afraid. Hood cam in Shift is MUCH better, as you can still see the hood, and judge apexes and contact much more accurately. I would also be all about making hood cam be from JUST inside the windshield, so that wipers and rain remain constant between hood and cockpit.

And cockpit camera restricts your peripheral vision far more than IRL. Even if head tracking DID work well, there's still a lot more you can see out of the corners of your eyes without moving your head than GT5 shows. It all boils down to how SMALL everything would be, even on a 16:9 display, if you really showed what the eye can see. Most of the top and bottom would be unused real estate. Three display setups are the only thing I've seen so far that reasonably displays a full POV from the drivers perspective, and Kaz has ruled out multiple PS3's to achieve this.

Time for a rethink, and a look at the competition, PD. You could do MUCH better...

Last edited:
Completely agree. 'Bumper cam' is essentially 'windshield cam' but with an invisible hood, and OUTSIDE the windshield, so we get no wipers and rain effects. Maybe it's supposed to be where the hood ornament is? That would seem to be about right...

PD, we NEED the hood back. Tough to judge apexes without a reference of where the car corner is. Put the hood ornament cam back at eye level JUST behind the windshield.

That's how other games get it right...

Completely agree. 'Bumper cam' is essentially 'windshield cam' but with an invisible hood, and OUTSIDE the windshield, so we get no wipers and rain effects. Maybe it's supposed to be where the hood ornament is? That would seem to be about right...

PD, we NEED the hood back. Tough to judge apexes without a reference of where the car corner is. Put the hood ornament cam back at eye level JUST behind the windshield.

That's how other games get it right...

Which is why I use the roof cam for Standard cars.

Back