dice1998

Yo Mamma.
Premium
United States
Vero Beach, FL
dice1998
It's crap.

Ok, I lied, it's not crap.

As a first timer to the TDU Series (and coming out of a GT5 stint), I find TDU2 Easy to pick up and play. Granted, the DS3 (DualShock 3) controls are a little funky and weird, after a little over an hour, I found the controls comfortable.

Graphics
The graphics on TDU2 is just plain spectacular. There's no other way of describing it. Both islands feel lush and full of life and to have no almost loading times on both islands (not including entering/exiting accessible buildings and races, just plan driving aimlessly around) makes enjoying the game, to me, more amazing.

The Cars
The game's car collection is diverse spanning classic road cars of yesterday to the modern sports cars of yesteryear like the Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe to the modern Hypercars of today, like the Bugatti Veyron SS. The cars are split up into 3 categories (Asphalt "A", Dirt "B" and Classic "C" and you need to get licenses to participate in racing events of each class (the license tests aren't hard at all and only have around 7 per license and each test is short).

The Car sounds, are...not realistic, but try to be somewhat realistic.
That being said, though, some of the car sounds is amazing, for example, the Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe sounds wonderful (To me) while others... sound like death.

The car handling, which 3/4 of the people are complaining about, to me, feels pretty good. The cars do handle weirdly, but that's somewhat exprected of an arcade racing game. If i had to sum the physics up in one word, it'd be..."different". (Once can put assists on if he/she cannot control a car, it helps.)

The interior view of cars is not as good as some other games (Namely GT5) but the interior isn't bad either. I enjoy the interiors of each car.

Customization Elements
I have not yet dive very deep into customization yet as i'm busy either just exploring the map or doing races to raise my driver level (maximum level is 70) but from what i've done so far, it's actually not bad.

I have NOT visited the plastic surgeon or the hairdresser yet. (to be edited later).
Clothes for your avatar is..diverse.. i find this part of the game pointless and could've been limited to add to more personalization options for your car. The same goes for the plastic surgeon option.

Vehicle Customization is pretty good for this type of game, i haven't done the vinyl placement yet because it seems to be bugged to the point where it's impossible to line up objects and such properly at the moment. (edit later)
Vinyl/Sticker placement on the cars is different from other games like nfs where it's a grid sticker setup, on TDU2, it's a "Free" camera where any part the car the camera's centered at, you can place a sticker (well almost any part).
Lining up stickers is INDEED quite annoying with this camera, but not impossible. Once one can properly line stickers up, the sticker shop begins to be pretty darn cool (minus the prices for some of the stickers..20k for tribals? GTFO.)

Performance modifications can be added to a number of cars (not all) in the game. To those cars that can recieve an upgrade, the performance upgrades are seperated into 3 categories:
1. Acceleration
2. Speed (Top Speed of a car)
3. Braking (includes handling i guess)

All 3 categories have 4 tiers of upgrades which is unlocked when you obtain higher discovery levels (I think)

You can change your car's color to just about any color on the color spectrum (including pink, purple, ruby, lemon, etc.) and also add two tone colors. So far i've unlocked Matte (which is oddly called Matt.), Metallic, Gloss (which is called Glossy) and Carbon (which is actually a full carbon body that can be painted over, like the thin paint found on the Ferrari F40's body in real life).

***NOTE***** There seems to be a bug with metallic paint not showing up at the moment (when you choose metallic, the paint looks exactly like gloss)

The carbon paint job is just visual and has no effect on performance, which sucks :lol:

Leveling up in TDU2

The game's leveling system is seperated into 4 parts:

1. Competition - Complete more races and this will go up (max level of 19)
2. Discovery - Explore the world and look for junk cars hidden throughout the map(s) (max level of 17)
3. Social - Get friends on TDU2, Own a nightclub, create a car club and this level will go up (max level of 17)
4. Collection - Buy houses & cars, buy furniture, this level will go up (max level of 17)

All of these 4 seperate progression systems help raise your main level (called "Global Level") to a maximum level of 70.

MOOR (Massively Open Online Racing)
Although i have never played TDU1, i find MOOR to be an awesome concept, to be able to cruise with your friends, show off your houses and the cars you've bought, buy a clubhouse to create your own club, i think it's a fantastic concept.

Dislikes
Some things that i don't like about TDU2, so far:
1. The fact that the voice acting is horrible.

2. There's only 2 radio stations (i was expecting more) and there's no way to get custom music to play on the PS3. (If anyone knows how, i'd love you forever if you told me how).

3. I don't like the engine/horn sounds in this game. Although i enjoy listening to some of the horns/engines in the game, they ALL feel...copied & pasted..if that makes sense.

4. TDU, at this point does not work online for me (PS3) Trying to find out the actual problem on the official TDU forum is impossible due to the kids spamming "change the handling" or "the physics are azz" or "this games broke" which is why i'm really glad to have found a haven called GTPlanet.
TDU2 Online works after a patch from Eden Games, but the online service goes down once in awhile (this affects only NA PS3 users, EU PS3 users are safe, apparently)

5. I dislike that there are more avatar customization options than car customization options. Test Drive should be about the cars first and the avatar's second. Not vice versa.

6.(Just In)
7.(Case i find more things i don't like)

In Comparison
Compared to an Arcade Game (Mainly Compared to Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit [III]), this game is truely a work of art.

Compared to a simulation (GT5), this game is crap.

All in all, i find this game worth the $50 I paid for it, although many many people won't agree, i think this game's worth picking up or at least renting.

Last edited:
Gotta say I don't give a crap about the avatar customization aspect, or the silly gambling minigames, being able to buy houses and modify those do sound fun, the physic engine is what bugs me and as well as the car list, which honestly don't excite me much.

Is there any other customization options beside paint?

Gotta say I don't give a crap about the avatar customization aspect, or the silly gambling minigames, being able to buy houses and modify those do sound fun, the physic engine is what bugs me and as well as the car list, which honestly don't excite me much.

Is there any other customization options beside paint?

Vinyl & Apparently rims, although i haven't been able to change my rims (i think i need a higher discovery level)

**EDIT**
Rim upgrades are only for cars that have standard and optional rims (you can tell which car has them when you buy the car from a new car dealer, which is any dealer other than the used car dealer).

Last edited:
Nice review....feeling the love LOL

Customizing is prety basic, tuning packs for engine and hadleing, there seems to be aero packs for some cars if the DLC is anything to go of, theres different rims to select and paint schemes, the big one though is the vinyl editor akin to the Forza system, though it seems it's acting up on the PS3?

The narrow dirt roads are actually fun.

I found a car park somewhere. It looked like an auto cross. It helped to practice using the handbrake and also throwing the car around.

I found that braking hard and turning hard into those 90 degree corners is kind of fun.

Driving at night, playing chicken with oncoming cars is also fun.

I actually enjoyed playing this game today.

Having played on the PS3 for only a few hours I can't give a complete review, but my first impressions are...

Graphics - Very good. While far from being perfect the cars and scenery are well done, with only minimal glitches. Most problems appear when you drive in to areas with uneven ground and I did manage to get stuck 'underground' at one stage, but if you stick to the roads and trails you shouldn't have many problems.

Handling - Above average. The cars do feel a bit too arcadey (if that's a word) for the type of game this is trying to be. I've gone back to using the DS3 because the wheel support leaves a lot to be desired. Collisions are sometimes realistic, sometimes just plain wrong. However, I have not driven these cars in real life and maybe they do all feel similar?

Gameplay - The driving aspect of the game easily overcomes any of the above shortfalls. A truly open world which allows you to go just about anywhere. The purchasing of houses is good, though decent properties a bit sparse. The avatar customizing may interest some people but once I've set my driver to the look I want this won't be used again I feel. Should have given us less haircuts and clothes, and more small houses throughout the map.

Cars - Very good. Some people around the forums seem to be disappointed with the selections available, but I disagree. A wide range of makes and models gives most people something interesting to drive. This is not GT5, trying to cram in as many cars as possible, and it doesn't try to be.

For the money I paid, I think I've got myself an excellent game.

I really am struggling without the inverted Y axis! If anyone has found the option please tell me where it is :) if it doesn't exist then I really hope it appears in an update.

TDU2 sure has been a rough game. Heather already had a corrupt file and had to start over. Freezing issues, servers not working, cant connect to friends. These are all the exact same problems TDU1 had and I was hoping they would have been prepared this time but I guess not. I do love this game....when it works.

I wouldn't even wipe my arse with the game, It's crap

Seriously unimpressed!
I thought it'd be same format as the original flashy cars/houses + open roads and nice handling? maybe was asking a bit too much.
The graphics on the original look better IMO
It'd be better if you could sell your cars or atleast sell the crap pink slip/other racers cars but no! you can't even discard them from your garage so you either have to sell your car or fork out for a new house I forked out for a new house....well apartment style place and couldn't find how to get to my garage either sigh
Sadly this is the first game on ps3 i've thought "omg this is crap!"

Whats with the funky handling? you'll go round a right hander nicely then it'll throw you to the left! Or what about when you clip a bit of plants/bush Sends you into a massive rebounding spin! WTF? It's already freezed up on me twice aswell....

Seriously thinking about taking this back.

Apart from all the above I did have a little giggle doing some off roading in my lancia.....untill I had to sell it because of some Pink mustang! grr!

I wouldn't even wipe my arse with the game, It's crap

Seriously unimpressed!
I thought it'd be same format as the original flashy cars/houses + open roads and nice handling? maybe was asking a bit too much.

I see flashy cars/houses & open roads in TDU2. You can buy a yacht. A YACHT.
And there's TWO islands full of open roads. what more do you want?
As for the handling, it is..different from what i' m used to but after while, i got used to the handling (minus some twitches) and find it to be fine (it's better suited for cruising along than racing though)

The graphics on the original look better IMO

You're right

It'd be better if you could sell your cars or atleast sell the crap pink slip/other racers cars but no! you can't even discard them from your garage so you either have to sell your car or fork out for a new house I forked out for a new house....well apartment style place and couldn't find how to get to my garage either sigh

I think the inability to sell the pink mustang is a bug, but other cars that you don't want, just buy a car you do and you should have the ability to sell the car you don't want..instead of buying a new house..

Sadly this is the first game on ps3 i've thought "omg this is crap!"
Sorry to hear that.

Whats with the funky handling? you'll go round a right hander nicely then it'll throw you to the left! Or what about when you clip a bit of plants/bush Sends you into a massive rebounding spin! WTF? It's already freezed up on me twice aswell....

Like i said, the driving physics are more suited for cruising than racing, from what I've seen

Seriously thinking about taking this back.
It's up to you, if you feel robbed, take it back, if you're willing to wait for a few patches, then keep it.

Apart from all the above I did have a little giggle doing some off roading in my lancia
:lol: offroading in a Lancia IS quite fun

.....untill I had to sell it because of some Pink mustang! grr!
Hopefully it is a bug and it gets patched soon..if you have the game when/if the patch is released, that is.

I'm the kinda guy that'll hold onto something till it dies tech wise heh so i'll be keeping hold of this for a bit, just hope they would patch the damm thing!

Test drive unlimited 2 looks exactly Like test drive unlimited 1(which isent a bad thing) But i really thought they would push the envelope in the Graphics department, Because it looks just like my TDU1 on my PC with everything set to high.

And no i havent been spoiled by GT's insane graphics, TDU2 just looks like TDU1.. i see no change. just a new island, weather, day and night , more cars. custimization is still that stupid "PACKAGE" thing...from TDU1 come on test drive seriously.

Its a nice game...but it seems Player avatar> Car customization.. which is sad.

The PC multiplayer services are absolutely terrible, constantly having to relog the game to try to be able to play alongside my friends is not fun. Car sounds are terrible, only a handful of cars sound good.

(VW Beetle, Merc Gulwing, Mclaren Merc SLR, Ferrari 308 sound good) - Pretty much all the supercars i like sound absolutely crap, the $1,300,000 Zonda i bought sounds like an engine compressed to low quality mp3 and then run through a vocal autotune unit... terrible.

Something i do like (atleast for the PC) is that the guages in the cars cockpit are nice and detailed an high res, something that in GT5 due to its low res looks blurry and quite hard to read. The gameplay is fairly fun, the worlds are massive and vivid, (though i dislike 90% of the roads used for the races in Hawaii.... who ever thought that a blind jump combined with a corner was a good idea? its like driving with a blind fold on while driving your car off a cliff.. not good!)

Dude TDU 2 im running on PC with Xbox controller not g25 or g27 :(
im running on 1920 x 1280 Res all Detail are on Very High
THis game ROX Best car racing game to date pls dont bag it and iv heard alot of BULL about this game from Xbox and Ps3 users Buy a High Performance PC if ur in games for the FRaphix DERR

just bought my copy today, and as a TDU1 lover, I'm a bit upset at the handling, TDU1 had the best balance between GT and need for speed physics EVER! the cars felt so right! it wasn't an entirely accurate simulation, but it felt like the cars in my dreams do! ah, I'll miss the old physics engine... Anyhow, as far as the rest of my admittedly limited exp. I'd say it's a pretty rockin game, it looks superb in every aspect, the passing of time is a cool gimmick, and there should be nearly endless things to based on TDU1. worth a look IMO, try it at a friends house or something first if you can, and remember: when you just got off a GT5 stint, ALL car games feel like crap! it doesn't mean they are, it just takes time to get used to the world of B.S., which is a fun world to visit on occasion.

TDU2 is propably my favourite PS3 game. I dont understand why people hate it so much. It has best "map/tracks" ever, awesome soundtrack, it is just perfect, and fits the game very good. (Radio stations arent very good, but musics in menus etc. are awesome. There is lots of nice cars. Best feeling ever while gaming was when i found out that the map is only not a little bit countryside around the starting town, and there were even bigger city somewhere in the island.

Back