**Flyin' Miata Super Cup Season 2 Official Thread | CLOSED | Season 3 Link Inside**

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 3,759 comments

What should we do?

• Cancel Autumn Ring, Run Laguna Super Enduro (80 laps)

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Suspend all racing until June 12th

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Keep as is and hope PSN is back up soon

Votes: 5 14.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States

Now that we have the Season 3 gauging interest thread up, I'm shutting this one down. It's had a nice run, but we're putting her to rest. I want to thank everyone that participated in Season 2, and hope that you'll join us (at the link above) for Season 3 discussions!

:)👍

Last edited:
I haven't been in the last series but I will for sure sign up for this one! Too bad you can't Race Modified these cars.

Awesome awesome.

Love the track choices so far! Really characteristic of the series, nice and tight and it ends properly with a final visit to Laguna 👍's up on that one. You should post a little video up of a run through your custom course you've got in mind so we can get an idea of what it's like (like the 1st page posts in the S1 thread).

Clubman route is one of my favorite tracks, I've always wanted night races too so it's just great. I'm hoping it won't stay a pre-season race.

Autumn ring mini's gonna be a scorch fest. Should be a brutal race and a test of real racing wrestling skill, interesting choice and it harks back, again, to S1 and the old qualifier.

Are you thinking of doing some other style qualifying system? I think what we had worked pretty well, only drawback was the time needed to quali. people up. But that's negligible if you decide to set a couple days for quali. instead of on race day.

"Dual sprint race" reminds me of GP2. They run to races on their race weekends. One main race and then a sprint race the next day where they reverse the grid order to run the race:

On Friday, drivers have a 30-minute free practice session and a 30-minute qualifying session. The qualifying session decides the grid order for Saturday's race which has a length of 180 kilometres.

During Saturday's race, each driver has to make a pit stop in which at least two tyres have to be changed.

On Sunday there is a sprint race of 120 kilometres. The grid is decided by the Saturday result with top 8 being reversed, so the driver who finished 8th on Saturday will start from pole position and the winner will start from 8th place.

Sounds exciting that way.

Only thing that kind of perplexes me is the suspension. It's really hard to police, but I'll leave that discussion for a bit later.

Anyway, I'm stoked for the series and we only had one show at work tonight so I'm heading home now. I'm gonna open up a room with Clubman to break in my new car and get a good feel for everything. I'll post up the room number when it's up if anyone wants to join up.

:cheers:

Just opened up a room. I don't expect anyone to join though. I'm mostly just opening it for testing and breaking in the new car. But anyone is more than welcome to join up.

Room's closed up now. I really like the feel of the new specs. The car feels a lot better than any tune I could come up with last season. Really good choices for specs. Car's super responsive cause of the drivetrain mods too so it's smooth and feels great to keep the power on. I'm a fan 👍

Last edited:
This looks cool. Will there be a run group or something for people with just controllers like me? And how do you get up to 389PP with those mods?

I like the idea about doing a reverse grid for the second sprint race, but I'm also worried still about using that track as it is a Kart track. Even being set to the widest setting, there's not a whole lot of room to be had for passing. I tried to make a short course using the regular Eifel theme, and couldn't get it to produce anything less than 2.5 miles.

For qualifying, I figure we'll just copy over everything from the IS-F Cup if that's ok?

And I agree it's hard to police the suspension, but we'll just have to trust people on this one. The cars tend to have a bit of body roll with the fixed suspension, so we'll have to keep an eye on that. I really wish PD would implement PP points for suspension/drivetrain mods too.

YAY Fixed suspension :D Now I don't have to think as hard to come up with a setup :D I'll be in for the whole season rather than just one race this time.

Out of curiosity, why the sports medium tires?

I like the idea about doing a reverse grid for the second sprint race

How are you thinking of awarding points for the duals?

A combined average finish from the two races with the lowest average getting 18 points and 16 for second, etc.?

Or individual points for each race?

Larger points table for the second race?

The reason I mention this is because we will have to be careful with having a set number of cars that get inverted. Depending on how the points are structured for the race weekend it could be to one's advantage to drop from sixth to eighth in order to get better track position, etc.

NASCAR lets the fans pick how many to invert during the All-Star so that the drivers don't know the exact amount. They of course always pick the max but that is not the point.

Just food for thought.

The other thing I was thinking about has to do with field size/number of participants. Just an interesting thought, but what do you think about past winner & champion provisionals? To ensure that the dedicated series racers always have a grid spot in "Group A" if it comes down to having multiple groups for Season 2. Or something that gives priority to the racers who have consistently been participating in the series since its inception?

So, the Miata I made for last season, with the fully customizable suspension, Do I have to just ditch it and buy a new one, or will you let me get away with just adding the fixed sports one?

iirc, everything else is the same as last year.

No multiple groups for Season 2. One room, 16 drivers. I was thinking about the provisional spot last night, and might do that for slot 16 if we need to use it.

The twin race would have full points for each race. Obviously if we do that, falling back in race one is going to hurt you more than help you.

MÜLE_9242;5012925
So, the Miata I made for last season, with the fully customizable suspension, Do I have to just ditch it and buy a new one, or will you let me get away with just adding the fixed sports one?

iirc, everything else is the same as last year.

Tires are different.

Just make a new one, they are cheap. That way if anyone every wants to inspect your car there will be no questions as to whether it is legal or not as the car only has the proper mods applied.

A bit more realistic. 👍

Nice tires :D I've yet to drive a miata IRL :( Obviously spec miatas aren't run on stock tires, but still based off the fun I have in game, I definitely need to get one at some point.

So I had a paint chip called Amber Sherwood Metallic that I thought would look cool on the Miata. But I used it already on some Ginetta G4. I thought "okay, I can just send it to my other account and get the paint chip back"

When I did this, though, it told me that I had gotten a Lotus Yellow (the cars original colour) paint chip.

:(

Now I can't even send the car back to my main account. "daily limit" :(

Nice tires :D I've yet to drive a miata IRL :( Obviously spec miatas aren't run on stock tires, but still based off the fun I have in game, I definitely need to get one at some point.

They're really fun.

Something to keep in mind about this season is we're not going to adhere to the Spec Miata rules like last season. You could still call these Spec Miata's I guess, but set up to GTP rules instead.

@Wardez. I left you a hot lap to shoot for in your practice room. You were idle so you are probably napping or something.

They're really fun.

Something to keep in mind about this season is we're not going to adhere to the Spec Miata rules like last season. You could still call these Spec Miata's I guess, but set up to GTP rules instead.

Yeah, I read the spec miata rules before season 1 and was a bit overwhelmed :)

I'm glad your running a series without tuning. Now I can watch from afar like I have been and test to see just how far I am off knowing it isn't a tuning issue but strictly how much I need to improve my driving.

I had originally planned on joining the Lexus group but quickly saw I was 6 or 7 seconds slower on the 1st track and really that wasn't going to be good for anyone. I wasn't fast enough to stay close enough to learn anything.

How are you thinking of awarding points for the duals?

A combined average finish from the two races with the lowest average getting 18 points and 16 for second, etc.?

Or individual points for each race?

Larger points table for the second race?

The reason I mention this is because we will have to be careful with having a set number of cars that get inverted. Depending on how the points are structured for the race weekend it could be to one's advantage to drop from sixth to eighth in order to get better track position, etc.

NASCAR lets the fans pick how many to invert during the All-Star so that the drivers don't know the exact amount. They of course always pick the max but that is not the point.

Just food for thought.

The other thing I was thinking about has to do with field size/number of participants. Just an interesting thought, but what do you think about past winner & champion provisionals? To ensure that the dedicated series racers always have a grid spot in "Group A" if it comes down to having multiple groups for Season 2. Or something that gives priority to the racers who have consistently been participating in the series since its inception?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2_Series#Point_system

That's the way they score the races in GP2. They give a lot less points in the second race, maximum of 6 points than 10 for the first since it's longer. I've always thought it was cool 'cause it leaves the possibility of scoring 20 points in one race weekend by setting pole, getting fastest lap and winning both races. Ultimate grand slam. Mmm pancakes.

Also, about the multiple groups thing. RT already decided, being jaded from the first half of the season, that we should only have one group. I agree with that but I think that if there's enough hunger out there for it people should be allowed to have their own "feeder Miata" series to go along the same time as ours.

The group could be made up of people that feel they're not competitive enough to get into the main races but still want to race. It's all people that would volunteer themselves to race in the minor league room. They would run their own points table and such and I just think it would be a cool thing to do to give a lot of people the chance to have fun racing in these awesome cars.

It would make it so we wouldn't have to worry about running two rooms and tabulating all the points together and such.

It would be like Nationwide to the Sprint Cup. GP2 to F1. Indy lights to Indy. College Football to the NFL :dopey:👍

Someone else would have to run it under authorization from RT though so it's nice and official.

@Wardez. I left you a hot lap to shoot for in your practice room. You were idle so you are probably napping or something.

Yeah nice, 1:04.1xx is intense, don't know if I'll manage that. Thanks.

GP2 Points

That's the way they score the races in GP2. They give a lot less points in the second race, maximum of 6 points than 10 for the first since it's longer. I've always thought it was cool 'cause it leaves the possibility of scoring 20 points in one race weekend by setting pole, getting fastest lap and winning both races. Ultimate grand slam. Mmm pancakes.

I'll look this over more tonight and make a decision.

yo i am in for season 2 i dint do the frist one never acured to me that this site will have racing leauges ( hits himselft over the head) but i am shure i missed out and dont want to miss out on season 2 el_fas3g psn

yo i am in for season 2 i dint do the frist one never acured to me that this site will have racing leauges ( hits himselft over the head) but i am shure i missed out and dont want to miss out on season 2 el_fas3g psn

Per the OP:
Keep in mind this thread is open only for general discussion at this time. I am not taking signups at the moment, so please do not post your signup info as it will be ignored for the time being. I will open up registration the moment I get back from Florida in a couple weeks.

Also, please remember to use proper grammar when posting in GTPlanet forums. 👍

As the first post says, not taking signups right now. And PLEASE try to use proper punctuation. Not only is it a requirement for this site, but it's really hard to read.

Also, I just posted the track map and a video of Rogue Valley Speedway. I will put it online next week for people to download so you can practice.

Edit: Tree'd by Brosif. :lol:

I was not aware this thread was already up. I'm appalled at how Poly decided not to assign a points value to anything that isn't power:weight related. It's ridiculudicrous but we'll take the lemons they gave us and make some damn good lemonade. 👍

As usual I'm excited to run with the crew again. I still think that there should be an assigned non-competitive day for casual drives with the SM cars.

I like the track's flow RT, should make for some super close trains of cars running through out.

As usual I'm excited to run with the crew again. I still think that there should be an assigned non-competitive day for casual drives with the SM cars.

Yeah I think the spiritual day for running practice races is still gonna be Thursday.

I'm looking at the track list and I like everything so far and am so-so with autumn mini. Personally I'd prefer full but that's just preference I suppose.

How did you pull that 14.xxx on the custom eifel course that testing day I joined in on? My personal best was a 15.065 and I was no where near as smooth as that demo run you put up!

How did you pull that 14.xxx on the custom eifel course that testing day I joined in on? My personal best was a 15.065 and I was no where near as smooth as that demo run you put up!

When I made that video last night, I had just taken the bungee cords off my pedals so it wasn't as fast as I would normally had liked. Not sure how I posted that time the other day, maybe it was the pedals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back