GT5 Tires vs. Real Life Tires Chart

• Thread starter Foglight
  • 12 comments

Foglight

VENI, VIDI, VELCRO
Premium
So got to wondering today about this and I know it has been discussed before ad nauseam, but couldn't find anything like this with the search function. I took about 100 cars from 2001 to 2010 and found the original or suggested tires through a online tire shop and than inputed what tires are on the car stock in GT5. Below is the chart with the outcome which may or may not have an error here or there for you to make your own conclusions.

Also as far as I have seen no car comes with racing medium/soft tires and sport soft tires seem to be reserved for cars like the Amuse, Spoon, Mine. etc. I only looked into it briefly so I could be completely wrong about that.

5599216719_1214cc6b6c_b.jpg

5599798858_8c9c48a1bb_b.jpg

5599216897_5dc317b5fb_b.jpg

Im not sure if the pirelli p zeros and michelin ps2's are sport tyres..I thought sport tyres would be along the lines of the michelin super sport or pilot sport cup.

Nice job, man. 👍

This is probably obvious, but PD's tires don't always equate to real-life temperature, treadwear & traction. I know Forza has tried to put real-life tires into their games, I'm not sure how good of a job Turn 10 did. I think PD decided to just avoid having to deal with all the idiosyncracies of trying to put real-life tires into GT (GT5 2016 release date otherwise) so they've created their "own" brand tires. This is a simple solution to what could be a confounding problem.

IF PD were to implement Michelin Pilots or Continental ContiPro Contacts, it would open the door (a HUGE door) to endless complaints about how these tires are "supposed" to react. There would probably be just as many complaints about tires as there are about Premium vs. Standard cars. :ill:

Nice job, man. 👍

This is probably obvious, but PD's tires don't always equate to real-life temperature, treadwear & traction. I know Forza has tried to put real-life tires into their games, I'm not sure how good of a job Turn 10 did. I think PD decided to just avoid having to deal with all the idiosyncracies of trying to put real-life tires into GT (GT5 2016 release date otherwise) so they've created their "own" brand tires. This is a simple solution to what could be a confounding problem.

IF PD were to implement Michelin Pilots or Continental ContiPro Contacts, it would open the door (a HUGE door) to endless complaints about how these tires are "supposed" to react. There would probably be just as many complaints about tires as there are about Premium vs. Standard cars. :ill:

Totally agree.. :)

Although the main problem i find with GT is the stock tyres. It just isn't realistic enough for me as it could be. It's a driving simulator! I've been lucky and driven a large number of the Premium cars in GT5 and can actually say stock tyres just don't do the job as what they would on road.

Saying that you just change them around etc and bam got it but i like buying a car and hammering it around a track without spending cash.

Totally agree.. :)

Although the main problem i find with GT is the stock tyres. It just isn't realistic enough for me as it could be. It's a driving simulator! I've been lucky and driven a large number of the Premium cars in GT5 and can actually say stock tyres just don't do the job as what they would on road.

Saying that you just change them around etc and bam got it but i like buying a car and hammering it around a track without spending cash.

What do you mean by stock, though? Which car(s)? Which tires stock? You talking about Comfort tires or Sports?

Im not sure if the pirelli p zeros and michelin ps2's are sport tyres..I thought sport tyres would be along the lines of the michelin super sport or pilot sport cup.

That's why he used the hard sport tyres, the cup tyres would be sport medium or soft. That chart is really interesting, thanks! 👍

By the way, on old cars (also on race cars like the 330/P4) I often use comfort or sport tyres, because tyres in real life weren't even close to what we have now. I know that they had slicks back then too, but the slicks in GT5 have way too much grip compared with tyres from the '60's and '70's.

The stock tyre choices in GT5 do confuse me sometimes, but the biggest problem I had (and therefore the only one I can recall right now) was with the Enzo. I mean, how can the Enzo have come with the same tyres as the (for example) Audi S4 or BMW M5? I have no idea what Bridgestone Potenza Scuderia RE050As compare to, but it's hard to believe Ferrari would have sold their flagship hypercar with anything less than very, very high performance tyres. I'm sure there's a thread on this already, but my rule of thumb is:

X2010, 'qualifying spec': Racing softs.
High-end racing cars (LMP1, Group C): Racing mediums.
Lower-end racing cars: Racing Hards.
Hypercars, track cars: Sport softs.
tuned street cars: Sport mediums.
High performance street cars: Sport hards.
Hot hatches, faster Kei cars: Comfort softs.
Standard shopping cars: Comfort mediums.
Drift cars: Comfort hards.

I have no idea what people have found to the contrary, but I find this works fairly well for me. For historic cars I usually choose two or three tiers lower, I mean I'd never put the XJ13 on racing anything, sport hards is usually what I use.

@ Foglight - I like the chart.

No idea if you have seen this thread or not: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=160821&highlight=tire+testing

But, check it out if you haven't. That guy "calan_svc" has done some SERIOUS research on what tires are best used to match factory grip levels.

From doing skid pad tests in GT5, he matched those to real life results and I think he concluded that each tire type in the game is just a simple grip multiplier equation. Pretty interesting.

@ Foglight - I like the chart.

No idea if you have seen this thread or not: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=160821&highlight=tire+testing

But, check it out if you haven't. That guy "calan_svc" has done some SERIOUS research on what tires are best used to match factory grip levels.

From doing skid pad tests in GT5, he matched those to real life results and I think he concluded that each tire type in the game is just a simple grip multiplier equation. Pretty interesting.

Thanks for the comments and thanks for posting that link haven't seen it before. 👍

The whole different brand thing in FM2 was neat, but not too useful. It really only helped you lower or raise your Pi number (PP) to stay in a certain class, the different brands all had different longevity, grip, and response. They didn't have it in FM3 so maybe it was to inaccurate, or troublesome.

Back