Is the Miata a legendary car?

• Yes

Votes: 145 86.3%
  • No

Votes: 23 13.7%

• Total voters
Germany
Duisburg
Well, sparked by a little discussion in the Forza subforum, the question arose whether the Mazda Miata could be considered a legendary car.
In my opinion, it clearly is a legend. It's not only the best selling roadster to date, it's also considered to be the car that revived that segment on its own.
The Miata is one of the most popular cars for grass roots racing and considered to be one of the best possible choices for someone who wants a fun, sporty car for a low budget.

Or, as Jeremy Clarkson said:
"The fact is that if you want a sports car, the MX-5 is perfect. Nothing on the road will give you better value. Nothing will give you so much fun. The only reason I’m giving it five stars is because I can’t give it 14."

So, the question is simple: Could the Miata be considered an automitve legend? Yes or no?

Yes. There simply is nothing else that can be said - if it doesn't appear on a list of the twenty greatest cars ever made, the list is wrong.

When it debuted, the Miata was the ultimate modern interpretation of the classic, pure sports car. The older Miatas still are. The third iteration was modernized considerably, but it's still put most of its competition out to pasture, if not through outright performance, then through sales and sheer driving fun. We've heard rumors that Mazda is planning to make the next generation Miata smaller and lighter, more like the older years. Knowing Mazda, they'll put all they've got into the car.

It's simply the greatest sports car of all time.

Ok, someone has to play devil's advocate in this love-fest. The miata is slow, quite slow. I've had occasion to drive one around and it's good fun, but it's slow.

(I didn't vote)

Ok, someone has to play devil's advocate in this love-fest. The miata is slow, quite slow. I've had occasion to drive one around and it's good fun, but it's slow.

(I didn't vote)

The lack of out and out power means that you focus on cornering. It's supposed to be a car that you can drive on the limit on a windy road or safely learn fundamentals of racing on a track. The Miata isn't supposed to set lap records, it's supposed to be fun and intuitive.

Good Devil's Advocate, though 👍

Ya'll have lost your minds. I mean that in a friendly way, not being disrespectful, just a joke. Top 20 cars of all time!!! NO WAY! The only category this car is tops in is the budget roadster category. Legendary?? I just don't see it. When I think of Legendary I think Shelby Cobra, Corvette, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Daytona, GT40, Lamborghini Countach, The first BMW M3, Caterham 7, McLaren F1, 57 Chevy Bel Air, 71 Challenger etc etc. The list goes on and on. The Miata doesnt belong with these cars

Here is 5 roadsters that are all around better. 65' Shelby Cobra, 66' Mercedes 300SL, BMW Z3 or Z4 (which ever you prefer), Porsche Boxter S, Honda S2000. Mind you this is only Roadsters. There is now way that the Miata makes the top 20 all time list.

Ya'll have lost your minds. I mean that in a friendly way, not being disrespectful, just a joke. Top 20 cars of all time!!! NO WAY! The only category this car is tops in is the budget roadster category. Legendary?? I just don't see it. When I think of Legendary I think Shelby Cobra, Corvette, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Daytona, GT40, Lamborghini Countach, The first BMW M3, Caterham 7, McLaren F1, 57 Chevy Bel Air, 71 Challenger etc etc. The list goes on and on. The Miata doesnt belong with these cars

I'm pretty sure the entire automotive world disagrees with you.

Here is 5 roadsters that are all around better. 65' Shelby Cobra, 66' Mercedes 300SL, BMW Z3 or Z4 (which ever you prefer), Porsche Boxter S, Honda S2000. Mind you this is only Roadsters. There is now way that the Miata makes the top 20 all time list.

And how accessible are those first few to people?

Honestly, I'd rather drive a Miata most of the time over an S2000, because you can't really have fun on public roads in an S2000. And certainly more fun than the Cobra because you won't bloody die if you over do it.

I'm pretty sure the entire automotive world disagrees with you.

And how accessible are those first few to people?

Honestly, I'd rather drive a Miata most of the time over an S2000, because you can't really have fun on public roads in an S2000. And certainly more fun than the Cobra because you won't bloody die if you over do it.

Accessiblity isn't what makes a car legendary. Its Iconic status is what makes a car legendary. The only way you can say the Miata is Legendary is if your only looking at cars that are budget cars.

Accessiblity isn't what makes a car legendary. Its Iconic status is what makes a car legendary. The only way you can say the Miata is Legendary is if your only looking at cars that are budget cars.

The Miata is a huge icon. Everyone knows what it is, its instantly recognizable, has far more history than, say, an S2000, and is the most successful roadster in history.

And by recognizable, EVERYONE knows what it is. Far more so than an old Bel Air or Challenger, or even exotics where people just know its a fancy Italian car till they see the badge.

Grr. Car no go fast. Car no legendary.

Grrrrr.

The Miata is a huge icon. Everyone knows what it is, its instantly recognizable, has far more history than, say, an S2000, and is the most successful roadster in history.

And by recognizable, EVERYONE knows what it is. Far more so than an old Bel Air or Challenger, or even exotics where people just know its a fancy Italian car till they see the badge.

I never said the s2000 was legendary or more ionic. BTW The 57 Chevy is 10 times the Icon that the Miata is. You must be really young to think otherwise.

MÜLE_9242;5440508
Grr. Car no go fast. Car no legendary.

Grrrrr.

I never said that. I said the 57 Chevy Bel Air is Iconic. Thats not a fast car by any means. There are plenty of old Roll Royces that are more iconic but they are also not fast.

I never said the s2000 was legendary or more ionic. BTW The 57 Chevy is 10 times the Icon that the Miata is. You must be really young to think otherwise.

I'm willing to bet you'll find 10 times more people that know what a Miata is than a 57 Chevy.

As for my age, you can see it in my profile. I simply do not care about older American cars because they are, honestly, jokes of engineering. Some of them are nice looking but most are just very, very large and cumbersome.

As for my age, you can see it in my profile. I simply do not care about older American cars because they are, honestly, jokes of engineering. Some of them are nice looking but most are just very, very large and cumbersome.
While the Miata may not be large and cumbersome, the engineering involved is not exactly something to throw a party about. The formula was basic on purpose. The Miata's success has absolutely nothing to do with the engineering merits of the car, of which it has none besides being light. Tiny things are light - who'da thunk it.

The Beetle was a joke of engineering. You said yourself it was an icon. A car's contribution to society has nothing to do with the engineering involved. In my opinion, the less engineering, the better. The Beetle and Miata are both excellent examples.

Similarly, not many outside the US can identify a Bel Air or Challenger that isn't a real car nut, only those in the know will have any idea. They would be cars who's success and status are limited heavily by location or the type of person, whereas the Miata/MX5 is a global icon and it's success is unparalleled in it's sector for a reason.

It is pure simple, grass roots performance motoring and that is why it is adored by so many from the most elite of petrol head to the Sunday driver. To claim the Miata is anything other than legendary should be a ban worthy offence for posting something that is clearly false to anyone who would even want to venture into the automotive section.

While the Miata may not be large and cumbersome, the engineering involved is not exactly something to throw a party about. The formula was basic on purpose. The Miata's success has absolutely nothing to do with the engineering merits of the car, of which it has none besides being light. Tiny things are light - who'da thunk it.

The Beetle was a joke of engineering. You said yourself it was an icon. A car's contribution to society has nothing to do with the engineering involved. In my opinion, the less engineering, the better. The Beetle and Miata are both excellent examples.

I never mentioned the Beetle, so what are you talking about?

The Miata certainly has move engineering about it with independent suspension bits and all that jazz instead of a leaf springs or a live rear axle, etc.

And I wan't using engineering to produce merit on a car being iconic. I was expressing why I personally have little interest in older American cars.

Back