Best wheel that's compatible with the Forza games and Gran Turismo 5?

• Thread starter Mcjoz88
  • 20 comments
United States
Pennsylvania, U
Mcjoz88
GuitarJozz
I am looking for a wheel that will be compatible with the Xbox 360, Forza 3 and Forza 4 when it is released, as well as the PS3 and Gran Turismo 5.

I was originally going to get the G27 because of that deal on Newegg, but after doing research, and finding out that it doesn't fully work in GT5, and doesn't work at all with the Xbox, I think I'll pass.

What I'm looking for now is, a wheel like the G27 that is compatible with the Xbox 360 and the PS3( the Forza games and GT5). I would want it to have the H-style sequential shifting, like the G27 does, as well as a clutch.

Are there any wheels out there that work(and will work) with the Xbox(Forza 3 and 4 when released), and the PS3(Gran Turismo 5)?

The Fanatec 911 GT2 Wheel will work with both the 360 and PS3. However you will need to pay extra for a set of pedals, same is true for all their wheels.

But....

You have a couple things to consider. A) The 911 GT2 is in stock now, but it can be out of stock at a moments notice, seriously.... B) They are going to introduce a new line of superior wheels; CSR and CSR Elite (CSR starts at $320, more $$ for the Elite). Also both wheels will be compatible on both systems. Those are scheduled for release 'by the end of the year' and Forza comes out in early Oct.

So you can get a standard/good wheel now and save about $75ish or not use a wheel with Forza right away, and get a better wheel in the winter.

Myself, I'm going to wait and get the CSR wheel, use my G25 pedals and call it a day :)

Jerome

You can just buy a Logitech Wheel and use the F1 XCM Crossfire Converter which allows you to use it on an Xbox, however there are a few drawbacks. This video explains everything 👍

I would wait for the new Fanatec wheels if you want 360 also.
If you can't wait, the GT2 is kinda your only choice.

The Fanatec 911 GT2 Wheel will work with both the 360 and PS3. However you will need to pay extra for a set of pedals, same is true for all their wheels.

But....

You have a couple things to consider. A) The 911 GT2 is in stock now, but it can be out of stock at a moments notice, seriously.... B) They are going to introduce a new line of superior wheels; CSR and CSR Elite (CSR starts at $320, more $$ for the Elite). Also both wheels will be compatible on both systems. Those are scheduled for release 'by the end of the year' and Forza comes out in early Oct.

So you can get a standard/good wheel now and save about $75ish or not use a wheel with Forza right away, and get a better wheel in the winter.

Myself, I'm going to wait and get the CSR wheel, use my G25 pedals and call it a day :)

Jerome

Yeah well I don't want to spend that kind of money($325) or more, for the CSR elite, which I would want because I need pedals and I would want the shifter. So I guess I would have to get the GT2.

I would get the G27, and that converter for the Xbox, but I read it causes alot of lag, as well as no use of the clutch or shifter, which is an instant turn down for me.

So for the record, the GT2 is fully compatible with the PS3, Gran Turismo 5, as well as Forza 3 and the upcoming Forza 4? And it has the H-style sequential shifter with clutch?

Yeah well I don't want to spend that kind of money($325) or more, for the CSR elite, which I would want because I need pedals and I would want the shifter. So I guess I would have to get the GT2.

I would get the G27, and that converter for the Xbox, but I read it causes alot of lag, as well as no use of the clutch or shifter, which is an instant turn down for me.

So for the record, the GT2 is fully compatible with the PS3, Gran Turismo 5, as well as Forza 3 and the upcoming Forza 4? And it has the H-style sequential shifter with clutch?

The GT2 is compatible with the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360, plus if you can find a set of Logitech G25/G27 Pedals they are also compatible with the GT2 so you save a bundle of money! 👍

The GT2 is compatible with the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360, plus if you can find a set of Logitech G25/G27 Pedals they are also compatible with the GT2 so you save a bundle of money! 👍

So the GT2 does not come with pedals or a shifter? I'll have to buy those separately? What the hell? why is it so damn difficult to find a wheel controller for a video game? Why can't they just make one wheel, with full compatibility on PS3 and Xbox, as well as having it come with pedals and a shifter, for a decent price?

I read that the CSR elite will be around $700?! seriously?! I think I am just going to give up and keep using regular controllers...

Well the problem is the xbox compatability. If the g27 worked on xbox it would cost $100 more. Wheel makers have to pay alot more to microsoft I guess. I would own an xbox but for wheel support. The only wheel maker now for xbox has sketchy costumer sevice at best.

Yes, the fanatec GT2 is your wheel. As long as you buy when the wheel is IN stock, it should arrive relatively quickly(about a week in the US, it ships from Cali), and you'll be all set.

I like the wheel a lot. I havent fired up Forza 2 or 3 in quite some time, but I spent at least 100hrs playing the two titles combined with the GT2/Clubsport setup. There simply is no other way to play Forza.

These days, I mostly race on the PC, using a GT3RSv2(two wheels for two setups. Sim Rig, and consoles). Having used both pretty extensively, Ill say this. If I didn't need xbox360 compatibility, I wouldn't be able to tell the GT2 and GT3RS apart. They both race wonderfully.

What makes the difference, is the pedals. The standard pedals feel like toys, the Clubsport pedals feel like a piece of simulation equipment.

You can just buy a Logitech Wheel and use the F1 XCM Crossfire Converter which allows you to use it on an Xbox, however there are a few drawbacks. This video explains everything 👍

That thing isn't worth the time of day.👎

I bought a GT2, since the new wheels will be between $320 and $700 (for just the wheel) and its hard to say when they will actually be available given Fanatecs track record of keeping deadlines.

My reasoning for the decision is I have no interest in buying the Elite at the price rumored and don't feel that the cheaper CSR will be a huge enough difference for the waiting time or the higher price over the GT2.

I have never heard a more annoying voice than that....:nervous:

So the GT2 does not come with pedals or a shifter? I'll have to buy those separately? What the hell? why is it so damn difficult to find a wheel controller for a video game? Why can't they just make one wheel, with full compatibility on PS3 and Xbox, as well as having it come with pedals and a shifter, for a decent price?

I read that the CSR elite will be around $700?! seriously?! I think I am just going to give up and keep using regular controllers...

The problem with wheels and the Xbox is twofold. First, there is the licensing issue that has already been mentioned and the second is that Microsoft has coded the force feedback for the console completely different than how the PC and PS3 are done. The GT2 is pretty much the same wheel as the cheaper GT3RS except it also contains additional hardware inside to properly decode Microsoft's force feedback.

I know it seems like a real pain in the butt, but when you step back and look at other gaming peripherals there are hardly any that share compatibility with both consoles and the PC as well. Its actually a premium that Fanatec offers this feature, granted it comes at a price.

Buy a GT2. I just got mine via UPS on Monday. I could only afford the standard pedals, but otherwise it's worth every penny, in my opinion. It's SO smooth and comfortable. :)

what would be the best place to buy a GT2 from? the official Fanatec website, or something like ebay, amazon(if available), etc?

GT2 with clubsport pedals is the way to go. Well worth the money, i dont think i could ever go back to a controller.

I have the GT2 with Clubsport pedals. They have both worked flawlessly and I couldn't be happier. It seems like a lot of money, but I plan to use this wheel/pedal combo for a long time on many games. Already used for F1 2010, GT5, Forza 3. Coming up - f1 2011, Forza 4. Most likely I'll be able to continue using this setup on the next generation of consoles as well.

What was your reason not to wait for the CRS wheel? That's my dilemma at the moment..

The reasoning for me is I have no interest in buying the Elite CSR at the price rumored ($700, but my guess is most likely going to be $500) and don't feel that the cheaper CSR ($320) will be a huge enough difference for the waiting time or the higher price over the GT2.

They don't have a dead set release date for them. All I've heard so far is its expected by the end of the year. Now the thing I think of when the say release dates is the delays that have taken place with the releases of previous wheels.

Side note I received my GT2 and sang sa dam this thing is smooth. It took me about 30mins of messing with the settings to get it right and close to my G25 feeling. Once I got it there its just amazing. The smoothness of this wheel is great. Later I am going to use what I learned on GT5 settings wise and go back to FM3 to see if I can't get that game to work better.

We are lucky to even have one wheel that will work on all platforms. Name one other controller that will work on the PC, PS3 and 360. you don't have to spend 700$ to get a wheel, but if you want the best you have to shell out the cash for it.

If you are really money tight, you could always just get a DFGT and just play ps3 and pc racing games. Forza is great and all, but if you need to save money, any other racing game on the ps3 or pc will be better with a wheel, then forza with a controller. Once you get use to a steering wheel a controller just seems pointless.

The reasoning for me is I have no interest in buying the Elite CSR at the price rumored ($700, but my guess is most likely going to be $500) and don't feel that the cheaper CSR ($320) will be a huge enough difference for the waiting time or the higher price over the GT2.

They don't have a dead set release date for them. All I've heard so far is its expected by the end of the year. Now the thing I think of when the say release dates is the delays that have taken place with the releases of previous wheels.

Side note I received my GT2 and sang sa dam this thing is smooth. It took me about 30mins of messing with the settings to get it right and close to my G25 feeling. Once I got it there its just amazing. The smoothness of this wheel is great. Later I am going to use what I learned on GT5 settings wise and go back to FM3 to see if I can't get that game to work better.

Okay, thanks for the info; a GT2 it is then.. They did say however the the CSR would be the same price as the GT2. Not sure if the price of the GT2 will go up, stay the same, or go down though..

Back