Standard Cars With Non-Generic Interiors.

• Thread starter W3H5
  • 62 comments

W3H5

Premium
Thailand
Thailand
For the sake of keeping the forum tidy please post any Standard cars you have discovered to have a non-generic (quality rendered) cockpit and we'll all contribute to a list together. :)

So far....

Audi R8 Race Car ’01
Audi R8 Race Car (Audi Playstation Team Oreca) '05
BMW V12 LMR Race Car ’99
Caterham Fireblade '03
Chrysler Prowler '02
Chaparrel 2J '70?
Jay Leno's Tank Car '03
Polyphony Digital Formula Gran Turismo
Pescarolo Sport Courage C60 '03
Pescarolo Sport C60 Hybrid Judd Race car ’05
Pescarolo Sport Courage Judd GV5 Race Car '04
Suzuki GSX-R4 Concept '01
Toyota 7 Race Car '70

Full car description will be added once I have my Apex book and the time to collate the data.

Last edited:
The C60 Hybrid and the other LMP standards.

Polyphony knew what they were doing with the latest OCD, plenty of standard cockpits in the selection on offer there.

BMW V12 LMR Race Car ’99

Audi R8 Race Car ’01

Pescarolo C60 Hybride

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that cockpit any good, i'm thinking of taking it for the 24 hour enduro?

Only had a quick blast with it before work this morning; couldn't see any gauges but the view from the actual cockpit is great 👍

slightly off topic but it kind of annoyed me that the Landrover Concept has no mirrors what so ever !! Why ?

Because the concept car didn't have mirrors, they used cameras mounted on stalks instead.

Scaff

Just like with the car models, as i look at the standard interior, "Why can't this be premium!!"

But i guess it's better than nothing.

For the sake of keeping the forum tidy please post any Standard cars you have discovered to have a non-generic (quality rendered) cockpit and we'll all contribute to a list together. :)

So far....

Audi R8 Race Car ’01
BMW V12 LMR Race Car ’99
Caterham Fireblade '03
Chrysler Prowler '02
Chaparrel 2J '70?
Jay Leno's Tank Car '03
Polyphony Digital Formula Gran Turismo
Pescarolo Sport Courage C60 '03
Pescarolo Sport C60 Hybrid Judd Race car ’05
Suzuki GSX-R4 Concept '01
Toyota 7 Race Car '70

Full car description will be added once I have my Apex book and the time to collate the data.

Do you think, perhaps, there's a reason why these cars are more detailed thean the rest? Maybe we could expect them to be upgraded to premium (?), if so, it's a very awkward selection of cars that they chose.:)

It's actually scary how much more detail is in these cars; i drove my Prowler and was astonished at the detail in the cockpit (compared to what they were like before, i.e. they weren't!), then i drove my RGT and it was like looking through a hole in a cardboard box. :P

Hate to ruin it for you but in the tank car the wheel almost completely obscures the road ahead, I found it really hard to drive.

What are you talking about? I see the road perfectly with the tank car and i drove it for about an hour yesterday. And its a fun car to mess about with! Not a crap car

you can add 3 more to the list

Audi R8 Race Car (Audi Playstation Team Oreca) '05
Caterham Seven Fireblade '02
Pescarolo Courage Judd GV5 Race Car '04

unfortunately i couldn't find any that were not open top :(

kind of weird, as i would have been fine with some of the premium cockpits copied and pasted on similar standard cars. ie Honda NSX, Audi R8, Nissan Skylines, BMW 3 series etc... even if not true to life it would have been better than the letterbox imo - also i doubt it would have made the update file much bigger since we have that data already from the game disc. i would expect that they could have thought of something clever to save space. anyway one can only hope they do this in Spec 3.0. then again even if that suited me fine, i am sure some would make a huge deal of it. so on second thoughts i doubt it will happen. as a wise man said damned if you do, damned if you don't

i could be wrong, could be interesting to have a poll and see if a copy paste job would be acceptable to most vs never getting anything. since no way we can expect to get all cars with premium cockpits since that would take them a decade

Last edited:
i could be wrong, could be interesting to have a poll and see if a copy paste job would be acceptable to most vs never getting anything. since no way we can expect to get all cars with premium cockpits since that would take them a decade

I'd be happy with a copy and paste job for cockpits of like models. I don't see why they didn't do this.

I'd be happy with a copy and paste job for cockpits of like models. I don't see why they didn't do this.

i don't think it's quite as simple as copy/paste.

the cockpits from the premiums would have to be stitched onto the standard models, essentially creating a brand new unique model for each car they did it to.

the current black cockpit does not require a new model to be implemented. it's just moving the camera position to a point inside the car and adding a generic overlay.

the standards that have unique cockpits are because they have already been modeled that way.

adding premium cockpits to standards of the same type would actually be a lot of work and resources.

@BarronGeddon: I'm sorry but I think you are wrong. Interior and exterior are different models. Check for example Plymouth Prowler. In cockpit view you have nice interior, when looking form outside it's not so good. Same story is with all premium cars (on track, in photo travel interior is in higher quality).

I was driving the Chrysler Prowler today, and compared to the other standards I've driven so far it seems to have an unusually high level of detail in the interior. The gauges work, and the side panel of the door and dash seem to be textured some-what. Even the plastic surrounding the gauges located in the middle of the dash change colour when you paint the car.
Could it be that PD started making a premium version of it, got started on the interior, but then ran out of time?

Back