T500RS Gas pedal problem. be careful

• Thread starter sokira
  • 67 comments
France
Paris
Sokika
Hi everyone !

I received this morning my TH8RS gearbox so I was exited to play GT5 !
But after 10 min my gas pedal just fell down... In the game the car accelerate itself.

I mount my pedal in GT style. I only play GT5 since January 2011 2/4/days per week. Yes I play a lot this is the only game in my PS3 ^^ :crazy:

So I decided to check this out.

Each pedal are built with two springs. It's very cheap for something I paid 500€ !!! Even my pedal from the Logitech G25 are better !

wp000082.jpg

You can see the breaking point on the spring...

wp000084k.jpg

Remove entirely the padal from the chassis

wp000085j.jpg

wp000095w.jpg

One of those breaking springs

wp000096v.jpg

I easily break it with my fingers

wp000102.jpg

And the last one

This not built in quality !

This is quality ! HUGE sping inside ! (g25 pedal)
momog25qe2.jpg

I'm not the only one who has this problem.
I called the technical support and they told me they will send me a new set springs for free. I hope they will be better and more solid.

So be careful if your pedal fall a little bit, this is the beggining of the end....
Sorry for my bad english...

whoa, Is it possible that they revised the spring design on later versions? I have a v4 and the springs I see inside the pedal assembly look like they are compression type springs, not like the ones in your pictures.

All of my pedals have compression type springs behind them...the brake pedal uses a bigger one from what i can see.

:scared:

I hope thrustmaster will send me a complete set with compression and torsion springs to upgrade my pedal...

Thanks GTR4T :)

OP I'm in the same boat with you and now I'm waiting for replacement parts. But who knows how long that parts will last, if it is the same type and material.
temporarily i switched gas with clutch spring.
How ironic i just bought TH8RS shifter and its useless now.. No way i will use shifter without clutch.

whoa, Is it possible that they revised the spring design on later versions? I have a v4 and the springs I see inside the pedal assembly look like they are compression type springs, not like the ones in your pictures.

Mate, are you sure that your pedal have compression-type spring? From what i know, there is one compression spring on the brake pedal but it only for progressive response. The main springs are still torsion type.
Maybe you could help us post a pic of your pedal spring?

All of my pedals have compression type springs behind them...the brake pedal uses a bigger one from what i can see.

Hi GTR4T,

Can you show us the pic of your spring? Coz a friend of mine also had the same problem with the spring. it so weak compare with the G25/G27.

Thanks before

My T500 pedals have compression type springs on all three pedals too, they are V.5 version. The springs sit below the metal arms that the pedals are bolted onto.

people who has the V1 are condemned to change the springs every years ?! :scared:
That's ridiculous... :ill:
If Thrustmaster don't send me a complete set of springs to upgrade my pedal I will recall them to change the pedals for a new version V4 V5.

My T500 pedals have compression type springs on all three pedals too, they are V.5 version. The springs sit below the metal arms that the pedals are bolted onto.

I also have the V.5 version with compression type springs, here are a couple of photos.

Close up of gas pedal.
DSC_1592s.jpg

All three pedals.
DSC_1593s.jpg

Mate, are you sure that your pedal have compression-type spring? From what i know, there is one compression spring on the brake pedal but it only for progressive response. The main springs are still torsion type.
Maybe you could help us post a pic of your pedal spring?

yes, all 3 pedals use compression springs and the brake pedal uses a bigger spring for better resistance. Please refer to NeoAgent's pictures, they look exactly like mine.

This makes me wonder if they would feel different to the earlier spring design as well?

I still have a V2 with old spring design... I can only wait until they give way I guess.

Those OPs mentioned springs are exactly the same I had in my Thrustmaster Ferrari wheel AGES(years) ago.They didnt last then eather,thats why that wheel soon get changed.This is the Thrustmaster guality Im so afraid of when thinking to go to 'official' products.If only Logitech quality(in 'right' price) is found somewhere,would make discission so much easier. :)

I have some news guy. Not very good... :nervous:

The technical support replied me.

French...

"Le pédalier a été légèrement modifié pour simplifier le montage de celui-ci.

Le nouveau design du pédalier intègre désormais des « ressorts de compression » et non plus des « ressorts de torsion » comme sur le design précédent.

Les systèmes de fixation des ressorts étant différents sur ces 2 designs, ils ne sont pas compatibles entre eux :
- Le design précédent ne peut utiliser que des « ressorts de torsion »
- Le nouveau design ne peut utiliser que des « ressorts de compression »

Les nombreux tests effectués (de mesure et auprès d'un large panel de beta-testeurs) ont montré qu'aucune différence entre les 2 designs n'apparaît en termes de confort, de précision et de gameplay.

Nous avons la possibilité de vous envoyer de nouveaux ressorts pour la pédale d'accélérateur. Nous allons vous fournir aussi la notice de remplacement. Veuillez nous préciser si vous êtes d'accord avec l'envoi de ressort en répondant directement à notre message."

Quick translation:

The pedal has been slightly modified to simplify the mounting of it.

The new version (V3, V4 or V5 ?) use compression springs unlike the old version with torsion springs.

The old version can only use the "torsion type springs"
The new version can only use the "compression type springs"

Several tests showed no difference between the two designs appear in comfort accuracy and gameplay.

We can send to you new torsion springs if you want...

And here my reply

Should I change my springs every year due to the low lifetime of these?!
All people with a V1 version will they change their springs perpetually?

I just acquired the TH8RS shifter and I use the clutch now so I will expect that the springs give up too...

If in time my springs break again will you still be able to send me another one ? And what about the guarantee ?

Can you send me A NEW VERSION to replaced my V1 version ?

And of course I want you to send me these torsion springs.

Now I'm waiting.... :grumpy:

500 euros for this .... They should recall every custumer who have the V1 V2 and give them a new version like car manufacturer... :sly:

They should recall every custumer who have the V1 V2 and give them a new version like car manufacturer... :sly:

The similarities between Toyota and Thrustmaster are striking...

They should at least make these available throught their online store, like 10packs for dirt cheap, best way they could make up for their flaw.

The similarities between Toyota and Thrustmaster are striking...

They should at least make these available throught their online store, like 10packs for dirt cheap, best way they could make up for their flaw.

Well, only the Toyota's made since 2000 suck. Actually every car made since 2000 sucks in terms of durability and build quality. Unless it's a hand made supercar.

I agree though, when reporting in with snapped torsion spring issues they should just replace the entire pedal set for a compression type.

On another note... this reminds me of a user posting a reply from Thrustmaster support saying the version numbers on the box only indicate the type of firmware it was shipped with. This is thus not true, cause as we now found out at least the pedals differ.

The technical support wiil send me a complete set of springs for all pedals...
The delivery takes 10 days ....

And next year I'll recall them for the same problem.... :dopey:

BAD :yuck:

Mine was V3 and it has torsion spring.

So i guess TM start using compressioj spring since v4

I just went from a V2 to a V4 (cause I had to trade it due to issues, non brake related). I can confirm that compression springs are indeed on the V4. See my comment about them in the big thread.

I'm contemplating buying this wheel and pedal set. So if I'm to target version 4 onwards to ensure compression springs, how am I to know what I'm buying? Especially when ordering online? Thanks.

heingericke
I'm contemplating buying this wheel and pedal set. So if I'm to target version 4 onwards to ensure compression springs, how am I to know what I'm buying? Especially when ordering online? Thanks.

Call or mail the buyer and ask him to look up the version number. It is written under the barcode on the bottom of the box.

Call or mail the buyer and ask him to look up the version number. It is written under the barcode on the bottom of the box.

Thanks. I contacted a seller I was bidding to/from? and asked the question, he kindly replied with....

Hey there,

All I can see is X00036GRPV (WHD-3) (545849)

Does that help?

Which part is the version number please?

Incidentally the wheel has been sold for £270 no less, but for future reference if you please. Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks. I contacted a seller I was bidding to/from? and asked the question, he kindly replied with....

Hey there,

All I can see is X00036GRPV (WHD-3) (545849)

Does that help?

Which part is the version number please?

Incidentally the wheel has been sold for £270 no less, but for future reference if you please. Thanks.

That's not the right barcode me thinks. lol

On the bottom of the big box you should see a text saying: T500 RS Racing Wheel V5.
To the left or right of that you have FCC logo's and so on. He can't miss it!

That's not the right barcode me thinks. lol

On the bottom of the big box you should see a text saying: T500 RS Racing Wheel V5.
To the left or right of that you have FCC logo's and so on. He can't miss it!

haha! Is that it? I think the seller got a little overzealous, I think he was a bit too thorough.

I just brought the T500RS shifter Package. And looked at my pedals after reading this post and noticed mine is V1. Iam pissed knowing i got the old crap set.:grumpy:

Back