GT Academy 2012 (EU) General Discussion

• Thread starter Manuelos
  • 1,584 comments

Manuelos

Premium
Belgium
Belgium
GTP_Manuelos
Today I found an aricle about GT Academy 2012. It's written in dutch but it says:

- GT Academy in 12 countries across Europe
- Belgium, the Netherlands, France & Switzerland
- online time trail starting in march
- 20 best players go to the national finale
- Belgium finale at Spa (probably) (together with the finalist from the Netherlands, France & switzerland)
- 2 candidates per region are going to the big finale at Silverstone (20 in total)
- final at Silverstone takes 6 days

academy.jpg

© Autonews

Hopefully, but where does that number 20 for countries come from? (usually there has been more than 1 guys in Silverstone from the "big" countries)

btw, shouldn't this be on the EU subforum?

It's good to be able to read Dutch sometimes.

So Belgium would be back in. So indeed there is hope for other countries that had been kicked out. Might try again to make the top 100 in Belgium, I think in 2010 I was quite close to that.

12 countries.

"UK and Ireland, France and Switzerland, Germany and Austria, Spain and Portugal, Italy and the Netherlands" were the countries from the 2011 academy (that's 10 countries if you can't be bothered counting :lol: )

Belgium is now included (that makes it 11 now) so based on that article and assuming all previous participating countries are taking part there's only 1 country still to be named.

Which place do you think they'll be able to get the most increased sales of playstations, steering wheels and nissans by having this competition in that particular country......I doubt it's going to be a small one........

Glad I've been training physically already :)! Hopefully will make the national finals again :). As for the country thats missing that is a really interesting one. Im wondering whether they might go to Poland? They seem to have a few quick drivers over there, and its quite a large country to.

Are there any laws in Finland stopping it from going there? I mean I do think it is rather strange for them to not put Finland in as its known as a driving country? As well as the phrase 'If you want to win hire a fin'. Certainly would be nice if Finland was involved for sure :)! Especially so we can compete with top drivers like you Timppaq :)!

I mean if I'm honest I would love a truely global GT Academy, would be such an amazing event, but of course laws in some countries prevent it :(.

I guess it has been somekind of marketing decision last time to drop Finland, hopefully it was just for one year. I guess the money for the organization side of things could be at least partly local - so would that mean they could have a say on being in? Maybe they saw no gain big enough around here after having 2 of these already? Anyway, would be nice to have a go at this again 👍

So Germany will have it's own Academy..:

http://translate.google.fi/translat...-und-startplatz-fr-24h-rennen-von-dubai-2013/

Will this mean it's 12 countries+germany?

Pffft, the way I see it is PD has realized Finn's can reach pro-racer level without their help anyway.

I guess it has been somekind of marketing decision last time to drop Finland, hopefully it was just for one year. I guess the money for the organization side of things could be at least partly local - so would that mean they could have a say on being in? Maybe they saw no gain big enough around here after having 2 of these already? Anyway, would be nice to have a go at this again 👍

So Germany will have it's own Academy..:

http://translate.google.fi/translat...-und-startplatz-fr-24h-rennen-von-dubai-2013/

Will this mean it's 12 countries+germany?

Wow that's quite big with regards to GT Academy I would think? Maybe they are looking at several GT Academy winners this year? Maybe Nissan is looking to expand into new race series and are looking for drivers in this kind of manner? All very interesting at the moment :).

The article says there will be several Academys this year.
- "It will be more global than before."
- "Nissan will start with 2 Cars at the 24h Dubai 2013 to have enough seats for the Academy winners."

I think this means there will be different regions (maybe Germany, Japan, America, Europe, or Europe divided in several parts).
Each region goes through their own Qualification, Race Camp and Race-License programm.
At the end the winners will meet in Dubai and drive the gamers car together.

By the way an interesting story for those from Finland:
Chris Midmark Top 6 finalist in 2008 has his own Team in a small racing series:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/119913934707722/

Last edited:
Excellent! That's amazing, gotta hand it to Nissan for some spectacular trust and respect to gamers. It's beginning to show to other teams that these hugely expensive driving campaigns aren't the only way to get talented drivers. You never know what will happen in the future if the success continues!

zocker_16
By the way an interesting story for those from Finland:
Chris Midmark Top 6 finalist in 2008 has his own Team in a small racing series:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/119913934707722/

Chris was 2nd or 3rd in 2010 as well, in the regional final. He's amazingly talented and it was a great pleasure to race against him (as well as others) in the national finals.

He also seems to be able to handle a Finnish after party :P

Over 18 and not having a racing licence, have a driving licence. Although that was of the top of my head.

At some german pages it was said that the german part starts at 10th of march. The rest of europe will start later. But there was no date mentioned. It was also said, that some more countries will take part, but also not any hint which countries.

I think it will be in March as well, especially if they want to fill a 2nd car full of GT Academy winners?

Anybody else becoming apprehensive about GT Academy 2012, I thought we would have heard some kind of announcement by now, or is it just me being impatient.

Please be some kind of announcement soon...

Now I sound desperate :)

Kaz has tweeted today that they are preparing GTA 2012. So an announcement possibly this week or next.

Back