(GT4 demo) Nurburgring Nordschleife laptimes

• Thread starter kensei
  • 45 comments
Tetradic
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
GT4 Demo Nurburgring Nordschleife Hotlap Leaderboard

6'48.281 / 3rdgenracerX - Falken GT-R (Racing - Aids Off - MT - DFP)
6'51.801 / Flinx - Falken GT-R (Racing - Aids Off - MT - DFP)
6'53.070 / lafontaine - Falken GT-R (Racing - Aids Off - ? - DFP)
6'53.488 / Relio - Falken GT-R (Racing - Aids Off - MT - DFP)
6'57.684 / Fizio - Falken GT-R (Racing - Aids Off - MT - DFP)
6'57.775 / T13R - Falken GT-R (Racing - Aids Off - MT - DS2)
6'58.624 / Koolad - Falken GT-R (Racing - Aids Off - MT - DFP)
6'58.898 / TigJackson - Falken GT-R (Racing - Aids On - AT - DFP)
6'59.566 / Kensei - Falken GT-R (Racing - Aids Off - MT - DFP)
7'00.517 / bnommensen - Falken GT-R (Racing - Aids Off - MT - DFP)
7'02.501 / gamelle71 - Falken GT-R (Racing - Aids On - MT - DFP)
7'06.197 / valli - Falken GT-R (Racing - Aids Off - MT - DFP)
7'09.221 / supra_luva209 - Falken GT-R (Racing - Aids Off - MT - DS2)
7'15.728 / 8400RPM - Falken GT-R (Racing - Aids Off - MT - DFP)
7'20.236 / civicgsir - Falken GT-R (Racing - Aids Off - MT - DFP)
7'29.294 / GT_Alex - Falken GT-R (Racing - Aids Off - MT - DFP)
7'32.095 / CAMAROBOY69 - Falken GT-R (Racing - Aids On - AT - DS2)
7'48.543 / Kensei - Skyline R34 (Sport - Aids Off - MT - DFP)
7'50.927 / bnommensen - Skyline R34 (Sport - Aids Off - MT - DFP)
7'57.867 / valli - Skyline R34 (Sport - Aids Off - MT - DFP)
7'51.948 / Kensei - Skyline R34 (Arcade - Aids Off - MT - DS2)
7'58.672 / Flinx - Mazda RX7 - (Arcade - Aids Off - MT - DFP)
8'00.003 / YZF - Skyline R34 (Street - Aids Off - MT - DS2)
8'02.907 / SaintKamus - Skyline R34 (Street - Aids Off - MT - DFP)
8'02.968 / Flinx - Skyline R34 (Street - Aids Off - MT - DFP)
8'03.883 / Flinx - Mazda RX7 - (Sport - Aids Off - MT - DFP)
8'05.548 / Kensei - Skyline R34 (Street - Aids Off - MT - DFP)
8'12.700 / Flinx - Mazda RX8 (Street - Aids Off - MT - DFP)
8'16.815 / evilgnome - Skyline R34 (Street - Aids Off - MT - DS2)
8'18.542 / YZF - Mazda RX8 (Street - Aids Off - MT - DS2)
8'20.945 / Kensei - Mazda RX7 - (Arcade - Aids Off - MT - DS2)
8'25.421 / 8400RPM - Skyline R34 (Street - Aids Off - MT - DFP)
8'27.045 / Flinx - Mazda RX7 - (Street - Aids Off - MT - DFP)
8'30.034 / Barbol - Mazda RX7 - (Arcade - Aids Off - MT - WingmanF)
8'32.654 / Barbol - Mazda RX7 - (Sport - Aids Off - MT - WingmanF)
8'46.312 / Flinx - Toyota MR2 (Street - Aids Off - MT - DFP)
8'53.440 / Barbol - Mazda RX7 - (Street - Aids Off - MT - WingmanF)
8'57.513 / 8400RPM - Mazda RX7 (Street - Aids Off - MT - DS2)

Blue = Street Tires
Red = Sport Tires
Purple = Arcade Tires
Green = Racing Tires

This leaderboard is closed as of March 12, 2005, no new submission please. Everyone should have a full copy of GT4 now. Thanks everyone.

No need to post images here of your time, they prove nothing at all. Just PM me you time, you can post screens in the other thread.

Sick time BTW....I can feel 8'10.xxx coming but 8'00 flat, yikes!

I'm surprised to see so many DFPs leading the charge. I don't care to know about realism or fun-value, but answer me this: do you think it actually helps your lap times? And if so, how?

mclaren777
I'm surprised to see so many DFPs leading the charge. I don't care to know about realism or fun-value, but answer me this: do you think it actually helps your lap times? And if so, how?

For this demo, YES! But....

I never saw a huge difference between my times with a DS2 or a DFP in GT3, in fact the DS2 was almost always faster. There really wasn't a huge difference between the two. Also with GT4 Prolouge. The game was more fun with the wheel but I wasn't any faster.

So when I first started playing this demo I started with the DS2. A few days ago I plugged my DFP in and started playing. My times started dropping rapidly. The game physics are much different in this demo and the car is too "twitchy" with the DS2, IMHO. Especially in the bumpy areas of the 'Ring, you really feel the car thrown around. Over correction, something you can get away with in GT3, gets punished here. I am also finding I am smoother with the wheel and left foot braking, i can really work the car around the circuit, finesse it even, something that was not in my previous driving style from GT3. I threw the cars around in GT3 and started the same way here. It was all well and good and made lots of smoke but was slow when I started seeing times.

I feel the wheel is smoother and I am more consistent with it. Tonight for example I spent sometime running laps with the R34/street with my DS2, did about 6 laps them switch to the DFP. There seems to be a bug with the ghost when the DFP is plugged in so I could follow my ghost directly but i was hitting apexes better and staying smoother in the bumpy parts.

This coming from someone who isn't really a fan of the DFP.....

I've owned a DFP since September and I can't stand it with GT3 because it's far too difficult to be consistent and precise. I found that my lap times were roughly 2/10ths faster with the DS2 and the spread for any given five laps was also around 2/10ths. With the DFP I was lucky to get them all to fall within a full second of each other.

Thanks for you input. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if I like it.

mclaren777
I've owned a DFP since September and I can't stand it with GT3 because it's far too difficult to be consistent and precise. I found that my lap times were roughly 2/10ths faster with the DS2 and the spread for any given five laps was also around 2/10ths. With the DFP I was lucky to get them all to fall within a full second of each other.

Thanks for you input. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if I like it.

Like I said I am NOT a fan of the Logitech DFP (I've had nothing but troubles with it, especially the pedals, since I've owned it since last March - I've gone through 3 of them on Logitech's dime). So it bothers me I am liking the damn thing so much, but it really makes a difference in this demo. Especially with both Skylines.

kensei
Like I said I am NOT a fan of the Logitech DFP (I've had nothing but troubles with it, especially the pedals, since I've owned it since last March - I've gone through 3 of them on Logitech's dime). So it bothers me I am liking the damn thing so much, but it really makes a difference in this demo. Especially with both Skylines.

It's a known issue with the pedals, logitech should just recall them and send people working ones, i hope logitech isn't still shiping them this way, there is a permanet fix for it, it requires you to open the pedals, but once you do it, you won't have problems again if you do it right. or you could do what i did and get either some ECCI or FREX pedals (both are high end brands that have versions for the DFP). you can't go wrong with either one, both offer pressure sensitive brake, and are top quality, ECCI look like regular car pedals, and the FREX look like supercar pedals, of course there's the issue with price... the pedals alone are worth about 400 bucks.

SaintKamus
It's a known issue with the pedals, logitech should just recall them and send people working ones, i hope logitech isn't still shiping them this way, there is a permanet fix for it, it requires you to open the pedals, but once you do it, you won't have problems again if you do it right. or you could do what i did and get either some ECCI or FREX pedals (both are high end brands that have versions for the DFP). you can't go wrong with either one, both offer pressure sensitive brake, and are top quality, ECCI look like regular car pedals, and the FREX look like supercar pedals, of course there's the issue with price... the pedals alone are worth about 400 bucks.

What kind of problem there is with these pedals? And what must be changed "when you open them" ? Everybody are talking about it, but no one says exactly what is the problem...

?

This pedals, as in other Logitech models, just suck. I got my DFP in March and the brake pedal began to fail in June. I have opened it many times (once a month or so), to clean the pots (haha, i've discovered the deodorant in spray is good product for this if you don't want to buy an special product :)) and place them in it's right place (the last time i fixed them with tape, i was getting a bit fed up)

But the wheel itself kicks ass, and in this demo it's crucial (you can feel every bump of the road and every reaction of your car: even when you touch the grass, you know which of your tyres is sliding just by the wheel response, specially driving the FalkenGTR)

Koolad
This pedals, as in other Logitech models, just suck. I got my DFP in March and the brake pedal began to fail in June. I have opened it many times (once a month or so), to clean the pots (haha, i've discovered the deodorant in spray is good product for this if you don't want to buy an special product :)) and place them in it's right place (the last time i fixed them with tape, i was getting a bit fed up)

But the wheel itself kicks ass, and in this demo it's crucial (you can feel every bump of the road and every reaction of your car: even when you touch the grass, you know which of your tyres is sliding just by the wheel response, specially driving the FalkenGTR)

I agree. I love the feel of the wheel with the DFP, though the pedals really suck, laughable at best. Even when they work right they still suck as they have no real feel to them at all. I actually prefered the DF pedals more and have been thinking for a while to figure out how to connect them to the DFP wheel.

More story is the same as yours, kinda. I dealt with Logitech and had them replace an entire until once, then the pedals. They were good to me but never mentioned any known problems. So I asusmed I got a dud. So when these last pedals I got started to fail I got annoyed and decided to just deal with it myself and figure it out. I found the pots to be the issue, coming out of their pockets, and stretched the springs out to give them a stiffer feel. I last took them apart about a week ago and last night felt the issue returning after a solid week of use. Thats the longest trouble free stretch I've had with the damn things.

I'm duct taping the pots tonight!

Gotta love cheapo products!

---
Frankly I am also shocked so many of the times here are DFP. I don't think I've ever seen any other kind of OLR dominated by wheels over DS2s so much. I guess I am not the only one who finds the game easier with a wheel. Especially when driving on the edge really pushing for a time, I just can't hold it together with the DS2, especially into Schwalbenschwanz and into Wehrseifen...the DS2 is just too twitchy and over corrects to fast sending me into the wall. Looks like PD has finally made a GT that requires a wheel for optimal play.

It is somewhat less surprising everyone is using MT. In my experience there is usually one guy still using AT posting fast'ish times.

---

All the times and equipment are updated now. Sorry it took me so long but I spent a lovely day outside with my wife. PM me if there are any errors in your time.

Keep them coming, I'm curious to see more people using other cars.

Barbol
Almost all times except those with the Falken are with street tyres, is for something?

I don't understand your question? I think? Are you asking why most people are running street tires? I can't speak for others but I personally prefer the Skyline R34 with street tires, it is very challenging to be fast. Sport tires offer more grip but have a larger room for error. The racing tires on the Falken are nice but offer a ton of grip. What makes the Falken hard to hotlap is it's lack of downforce.

I gave the Arcade tires a try tonight, first time I have tried them in 2 weeks of playing the demo.They offer about the same grip as the Sport tires but seem to settle the car alot, dulling the response and not sliding much. They make the car playable with a DS2 (to me at least) but make it feel more like Atari's old "Pole Position" more than what I expect Gran Turismo to feel like. Still fun for a few laps...

So run whatever tires you like. Just because no one else has doesn't mean you can't.

I've done about 15 laps now and still don't know the track!: ) but I learnt to go a little faster out the back of the course and got a 7:27.293. I'm stuffing up lots of corners so there's plenty more seconds left to improve, I'm using manual, aids off and the orignal Driving force wheel (not pro). Is the pro less "touchy" because the car sure is unstable with my wheel

nicefrog
I've done about 15 laps now and still don't know the track!: ) but I learnt to go a little faster out the back of the course and got a 7:27.293. I'm stuffing up lots of corners so there's plenty more seconds left to improve, I'm using manual, aids off and the orignal Driving force wheel (not pro). Is the pro less "touchy" because the car sure is unstable with my wheel

The DFP wheel has a much more solid feel to it than the DF. That being said I've never plugged my DF in to play this demo. I would expect because of the 900" and more solid feel the DFP is considerably better.

When you get a time you want to submit PM me in the proper format and I'll get it on the board.

Enjoy 👍

3rdgenracerX
Heres two replays of my 6'51.115.

TV camera with no telemetry, 46 meg's
http://www.3rdgenracerX.net/Nurburgring2.wmv

3rd persion view with telemetry, 39 megs
http://www.3rdgenracerX.net/Nurburgring.wmv

Enjoy

Nice lap! The scary thing is is that you missed one or two apexes and used to much brake in a few places...thus you could chop at least another second off the time, maybe more. Really scary.

I'm focused on the R34 with street tires, one of these days I am going to put some time in on eht Falken GT-R. The 7'07 time I have now was only after two laps just to post a time. If I can get under 7m I'll be happy.

Keep at it!

I'm pretty sure I could knock that down to a 6'50 or a high 6'49. The first corner where I entered an carwidth off the apex I lost some time, and the second time I actually almost lost the car under braking, would have had that corner perfect if I didnt get squirelly under braking. So if I get them right and every other corner right then i'll have it all nailed down perfect :) which will be a big challenge but fun to me.

3rdgenracerX
I'm pretty sure I could knock that down to a 6'50 or a high 6'49. The first corner where I entered an carwidth off the apex I lost some time, and the second time I actually almost lost the car under braking, would have had that corner perfect if I didnt get squirelly under braking. So if I get them right and every other corner right then i'll have it all nailed down perfect :) which will be a big challenge but fun to me.

oh? so you're on a quest to the perfect lap at nuburgring eh?
i always screw something up, even on my cleanst of laps i make tiny mistake. i'm also focusing on the R34 stcok, it's fun as hell, i can't manage to get 8'05.xxx i've gotten 8'06.xxx a few times, but i gotta find places to shave more time, the whole T1 and T2 areas is where i can shave the most time for some reason, it's where i find it easier to make mistakes.

SaintKamus
oh? so you're on a quest to the perfect lap at nuburgring eh?
i always screw something up, even on my cleanst of laps i make tiny mistake. i'm also focusing on the R34 stcok, it's fun as hell, i can't manage to get 8'05.xxx i've gotten 8'06.xxx a few times, but i gotta find places to shave more time, the whole T1 and T2 areas is where i can shave the most time for some reason, it's where i find it easier to make mistakes.
I wouldnt say i'm on a quest to get the perfect lap around the nurb. I'm just trying to get the best lap possible until I've reached the limit of my abilites while driving as normal as possible "keeping 4 tires on track as much as possible". I think i've now come close too, 6'49.357 is my new best time :embarrassed: I think I have half a second left in me.

I should have this game in a few days. Once I get it and read about how to remove the time limit I will try to submit some times. 👍

CAMAROBOY69
I should have this game in a few days. Once I get it and read about how to remove the time limit I will try to submit some times. 👍

Cool. I'll look forward it. Enjoy.

I'll have a video of my 6'48.281 up tommorow. I think I've hit my limit but I do see where I could gain about half a second if I nail every corner to my limits.

Right click and save as, 3rd person view with telemetry 28ish megs.

www.3rdgenracerX.net/Nurburgring3.wmv
From about 3'01 to 3'40ish there is some slight sound distortion and a few times the screen goes into a quick vertical lock. That happened on my VHS tape that I first recorded the video to, I should have brought the dvd recorder outside to my shop to record the video straight out.

That's a very nice lap 👍, and there are still some places where you can improve ( which is scary :scared: ).

But, this replay annoys the heck out of me. Of the few laps I was able to "complete", I am way off pace, and nowhere close to being as smooth as 3rdgen, which leads me to a possible hasty conclusion : Those with a DFP or a good wheel will put in faster times on the Nurb compared to those using a DS2. The car is very twitchy with a DS2, and at this point in time, I don't believe a DS2 can keep the same type of consistency and smoothness as a wheel, hence produce slower lap times. I hope I'm wrong, or atleast that the situation is only noticeable on the Nurb, and possibly the LeMans track that has finally been announced. If not, GT4 will have to have split classes for OLR, which would be ridiculous. The upper caste level, and the lower caste...

3rdgenracerX
Right click and save as, 3rd person view with telemetry 28ish megs.

www.3rdgenracerX.net/Nurburgring3.wmv
From about 3'01 to 3'40ish there is some slight sound distortion and a few times the screen goes into a quick vertical lock. That happened on my VHS tape that I first recorded the video to, I should have brought the dvd recorder outside to my shop to record the video straight out.
Excellent video and nice driving!!!! Thats the first video I have seen of someone driving all of the NURB. Since I cant get the time off I can at least watch your vid. Thanks for sharing. :)

CAMAROBOY69
Excellent video and nice driving!!!! Thats the first video I have seen of someone driving all of the NURB. Since I cant get the time off I can at least watch your vid. Thanks for sharing. :)
Your welcome :)

For those that would like to see me in action with the DFP check this video out, www.3rdgenracerX.net/DFP.wmv Its only 9.5megs in size. It starts 2 corners before the start/finish line up to T2. Nice video quality, but the tv screen show's up bright and the audio quality is meh to say none the least :lol thats what I get for using a digital picture camera with a movie mode.

T13R
I don't believe a DS2 can keep the same type of consistency and smoothness as a wheel, hence produce slower lap times. I hope I'm wrong, or atleast that the situation is only noticeable on the Nurb, and possibly the LeMans track that has finally been announced. If not, GT4 will have to have split classes for OLR, which would be ridiculous. The upper caste level, and the lower caste...

I fear you're right on this one. The difference between a wheel and a DS2 (d-pad) will be bigger than in GT3, and obviouslier noticeable :indiff:

Driving with the wheel has become more fun though :dopey:

There is definately a HUGE difference between the DFP and DS2 in GT4. Not that a hardcore DS2 user can't get close to DFP times but it will take alot of work and effort to do that.

Back