PS2 + Mod-Chip = No GT4

• Thread starter wgt4
  • 183 comments
It seems like people in Asia who have mod-chips installed in their PS2s are having difficulty playing GT4. People who have first generation (launch date) PS2 usually do not have problem playing GT4 if their PS2s don't have mod-chips in them. On the other hand, PS2s that are modified do have a hard time to recognize GT4. Of course, dirty lens or dust can both cause the reading problem. Another possible reason is that GT4 is in dual-layered format and it will cause problem to some of the older PS2s. I am very disappointed because my 30000 PS2 is installed with a mod-chip and I know I have made a mistake to install one into my PS2. 👎 I never play any pirate games because I buy only the original ones and right now I can only wait until my Japanese version of GT4 to arrive so that I can test it to see if it will work or not... So far, my Japanese PS2 hasn't given me any DRE. Except at the beginning it usually takes a long time to load the game. Once the game has been loaded, it plays perfectly fine. Please let me play this game! I really want it to work.

i sure hope thats not the case because i have a US PS2 with a duo2se chip.. it better work because i just dropped 60 dollars on a japanese GT4 !! it's run the prologue and the japanese demo no problemo ! i hope it doesnt have trouble with gt4 ! the only preblem i can think of is my lense, because my ps2 is a 30001. thats version 4. pretty old :-P later-

Soon I will purchase a DVD lens cleaner and I will see if it can clean the lens. My PS2 is the same model as yours by the way. Right now there is nothing I can do except to wait.

Well, I sincerely hope it works, because I just spent 60% of my monthly income just to mod my PS2 (north american 35001 - The original GT3 Racing Pack, three years with me, now with a Matrix Infinity modchip) and its laser unit (changed the 400B for the 400C of the 39001). I was getting many read errors and my technician recommended to change instead of recalibrating the lens... My imports are running fine... Hope the asian GT4 can do it too.

Please report back if it works or not, Ive got a chip in my PS2 that plays prolouge fine, Please let me know because Im interested in a Japanese version of GT4...Thanks

I don´t think it´s because of the modchip, I know people in Japan that are playing GT4 in a modded PS2 with no problems.

Mine could be different though, since it´s a really old modchip (Magic2). I´ll have to wait and see though.

FatAssBR
I don´t think it´s because of the modchip, I know people in Japan that are playing GT4 in a modded PS2 with no problems.

Mine could be different though, since it´s a really old modchip (Magic2). I´ll have to wait and see though.

You already ordered one? which version?

I have a modchip and I have the original Japanese GT4. Problems? None at all. (Runs to find some wood)

*phew*

I don't know what chip is in my PS2 so i'm still not sure if i can play imports but that didn't stop me to import the game. :)

(dvd5 imports wouldn't be a problem i guess, dvd9 might be a problem)

I have a version 3 PS2 US version with swap disk mod so the only way I can play is to buy original US release when it comes out.. .sigh! ><

chaser_fan
I have a modchip and I have the original Japanese GT4. Problems? None at all. (Runs to find some wood)

The mod-chip in my PS2 has been sitting in there for 3 years. I only play original games and therefore it is totally useless. Will poor quality modchip or its age affect my chance that GT4 will work in my PS2?

P.s. to everybody: I am not asking anything about illegal games or anything that is related. I just made a mistake to install a modchip in my PS2 and now I am truly regretted. And sorry for all the questions about GT4 reading issues. I just want it to work perfectly so that I don't have to buy a new PS2. I will post other useful things once I have received my original copy.

okok~~ i havent heard of anyone having trouble playing it... i have a ps2 that's about 2 years old (i think) and it's chipped... i dont have any problems with GT4 (legal chinese version)

the word on the street is that the DVD9 is causing troubles with 'backing-up'...

GT4 is just about impossible to "back up." Being over 9 gigs, normal dual-layer DVD burners can't copy it, and the dual layer format also presents some problems in putting it onto a harddrive.

Sven
GT4 is just about impossible to "back up." Being over 9 gigs, normal dual-layer DVD burners can't copy it, and the dual layer format also presents some problems in putting it onto a harddrive.

You put the two layers on two DVD-R's and swap them when the game needs to access layer 1 or 2, or you could rip out all the music tracks. :crazy:

The thing is that it has only been tested on the correct region PS2s with mods. Or? Because testing Originals on other Region PS2s might cause problems.

Ive got the old old SCPH 10000 Japanese PS2 with a mod chip to play PAL games......It all works fine and it plays PAL GTA SA with no problem.......this is why i'm assuming that GT4 PAL will definately work! :scared:

I use the swap disks and so far there isnt a single game I havent been able to play, backed up, pal, Japanese. Everything works. GT4P pal, GT4p, japGT4 Japanese demo. So im not too worried yet at all and my PS2 is one of the very first ones that came out. Very Very old. 👍 And if I have a problem with mine then I will play it on my girlfriends new PS2.

camaroboy69,

swapdisk will not workt sinse the size of the game. I tried the swapmagic with MGS2 (also dual layer dvd) and ik does not run. So I guess we'll have to wait.

MarcoM
camaroboy69,
swapdisk will not workt sinse the size of the game. I tried the swapmagic with MGS2 (also dual layer dvd) and ik does not run. So I guess we'll have to wait.
I played MGS2 and it worked perfect. Yes backed up. Almost all my games are backed up. I can video tape it with the camcorder if necessary.
I played Metal gear solid 3 this weekend so dont tell me it doesnt work for that game. Like I said SO FAR THERE ISNT A SINGLE GAME I HAVE PLAYED THAT DOESNT WORK. Just because YOU cant play it doesnt mean we cant. :)

with my 2.0 Euro build swapmagic MGS2 (original disk) won't run. That is why I canceled my order at LikSang

CAMAROBOY69
I played MGS2 and it worked perfect. Yes backed up. Almost all my games are backed up. I can video tape it with the camcorder if necessary.
I played Metal gear solid 3 this weekend so dont tell me it doesnt work for that game. Like I said SO FAR THERE ISNT A SINGLE GAME I HAVE PLAYED THAT DOESNT WORK. Just because YOU cant play it doesnt mean we cant. :)
Only MGS2 Substance is dual layered.

Does anyone knows if the Japanese game would work on a PAL PS2 with a MAGIC2 installed in it? I heard that magic2 modchips arent compatible with DVD9 games... do u know something bout that? :yuck:

-Doria-

Back