GT4 wont load with old PS2s? Possible common problem?

• Thread starter Larson0
  • 330 comments
I picked up a copy of GT4 today and when i stuck it in my playstation it just sits at the browser/system configuration screen. i took it back and exchanged it and sure enough it happened again.

Model No. is SCPH-39001/N

anyone else having this problem / know how to fix it? i shouldnt have to spend money to fix this because they didnt do it right.

*EDIT* I fixed my problem. i had to follow this link http://www.classicplastic.net/dvgi/eventsfeaturesIMPORTPS2cleaning.htm

and clean my lense. works fine now 👍

Hiya! :D :embarrassed: :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

Okay, something is going wrong...4 of my friends including me got GT4 at the same time, went home....sad faces with "Disc Error" :( All of our GT4 are not working. I have went back to my Gamestop 2 TIMES and exhanged it and STILL DOESNT WORK! :( 3 GT4.....no progress.....Checked Gamefaqs, some our already complaining about the defects...

I am trying to think of possible solutions to it. The only thing I can think of is it might have the same problem that Everquest: Champions of norrath did. The earlier PS2s couldnt play it. I am thinking I could be experiencing the same problem as I had that game before. Even my friends have the earlier PS2 and the games still doesnt work. :( Oh goddess.....such a stressful night....7 GT4s not working....(3 came from me) :embarrassed: Anyone else getting this kind of a problem?

I presume you have an unmodified PS2?

If it will play DVD Movies OK (mostly they are dual layer) it ought to be able to handle the game. My PAL PS2 is fairly ancient so I am wondering if I will have any problems (not tried a movie recently but it was normally fine with a dual layer disk).

I *think*(im not home, I cant check for sure) that mine has the same serial. Mine was made sometime around 10-01. I have had no problems with the game working though, so try cleaning your PS2 first.

I have the first gen PS2...and GT4 works just fine on it.
When it sits at the browser screen, press RESET on the PS2....that's the only suggestion I can give you.

The no-read problem has occurences with the PStwo also from what I hear. If it's not because certain ps2's are old then most likely they're just dirty.

With the game already inserted. Turn on the Ps2, but hold the reset button until you see the sony screen.

This worked for me, and I had the same problem you are describing plus in my problem the controller seemed to be frozen.

But it works now. Courtsey of BigHap

I'm sorry to read about your bad news. My friend has the same problem with GTA:VC. The early PS2s have trouble with new games sometimes. The only solution that I have is getting a new PS2.

I am having the exact same problem. Picked it up yesterday and stopped over a friend's place and checked it out. Worked fine. Got home and tried it on my PS2, which I got the day it came out, so its a oldie, and Im getting the disc read error! 👎

I'm pretty sure it ain't because of older PS2 models. Sony wouldn't launch a game knowing it wouldn't run in their own systems. I bet it's a bad batch of discs, as Doggie said.

older systems have crappy lasers witch wear out extremely fast. If someone has it working on an old ps2 its because they got lucky and their laser isnt worn out that much yet. youll need to fix the laser. Sony sucks, there i said it

I have an old ps2. My problem is at the intro. It skips horribly! So far the game play has been ok. Key words being, SO FAR. I'm just afraid something might come up further down the line....

The 'bad batch' sounds like a good possibility, however it would help if you mentioned which PS2 you're having the problem with.

I've seen a post mentioning the SCPH-30004 (to name one) working okay, which, coincidentally is the same as mine...

Tekk
I'm pretty sure it ain't because of older PS2 models. Sony wouldn't launch a game knowing it wouldn't run in their own systems. I bet it's a bad batch of discs, as Doggie said.

I would have to agree that it isn't just down to the older model of PS2. I have an original model PS2 bought on launch day, and I am having no problems with GT4, other than the 1080i/480p artifact issue.

Pegasusrjf
I would have to agree that it isn't just down to the older model of PS2. I have an original model PS2 bought on launch day, and I am having no problems with GT4, other than the 1080i/480p artifact issue.
I have the same issue. My PS2 is one from the original launch and it hasn't had a problem with GT4. The 1080i/480p is giving it fits.

To compund this, I deleted perhaps 15 threads from the approval list this morning, that noted a disc read error. MCA's thread seemed the most descriptive so I approved it, and would ask that others post up their problems, and possible theories they've come up with.

AO

You can add one more to the list :irked:

Picked my GT4 last nite from Gamestop at 20:00 est

Couldn't drive home fast enough...only to discover my (2002 vintage, not sure of the model # and modded PS2) won't accept/run the disc.

After repeated tries and loud cussin' finally my wife suggested I just go out and buy another PS2 but by the time I got back to Gamestop (those liars said they were gonna be open until 22:00) they were closed, along with assorted best buys, toys r' us'es and the likes. So not GT4 last nite. At least I had time to peruse the manual. :indiff:

First time I have problems with the PS2, I know that the GT4 disc is double layered, but I run GTA:SA without difficulty.

Could it be Sony's grand scheme to dial in planned obsolescence. :boggled:

added: I frequently maintain my unit with frequent cleaning and lens cleaning, as well as keep my games collection clean

I think the issue might be cos its modded and imported. But hte issue with double-layer shouldn't stick as I am able to play GTA-SA, the only other game I know its double-layer for sure.

I bought my PSTwo in April of, ummmm, 2002? I had no problem running GT4 last night. I just have a regular CRT TV, so I didn't try 480i or certainly not 1080i. The only thing I noticed was some image jumpiness on some of the animation screens in the license tests.

I have a launched model PS2 SCPH_30001, and plays dual layer movies like I Robot just fine. Holding old on panicing just yet until I get GT4 today. :)

The laser on your PS2 is obviously worn out. We all know older lasers have trouble reading dual-layered discs. It's not a problem with GT4 at all.

I called Wal-Mart on the 22nd. to see if the game was available here in La Crosse, Wisconsin. They said that they wouldn't get it until March 1st. I wonder if this is a problem that was caught a little too late and they cancelled deliveries of the game when Sony became aware of the problem? Wal-Mart was suppose to get the game late in the afternoon when I called in the morning. When I called at around 4:30, they said that they wouldn't get the game for another week. I'm gonna call Target and Gamestop at 9 this morning to see if it's available. I'll keep you posted on the results.

Hey guys, sorry to hear all your problems.

I do have an older PS2 as well and have no problem playing it. Although I did run into another anomaly.

When the game goes from the race (running at 1080i) into the race menu, the screen flashes with blocks of different shades of green. It doesn’t prevent me to enjoy the game but just find it strange and a bit annoying.

My PS2 is a 1st gen and GT4 works but I did replace the laser 2 years ago. I think the laser is probably for a newer gen machine. Got it off Ebay for $39.

Back