TUTORIAL - Manually Configuring Your XLink Kai & PS2 *With Pics*

United States
PURGATORY
xlNightMinxlx
Pictures does not equal shortcuts!
Please READ READ READ the instructions...

What is XLink Kai?

Team XLink Homepage

XLink Kai is a tunneling program that allows the play of games online. Since there is the lack of an online feature with GT4, this tunneling program works through the Multi-LAN Race feature found in GT4 to allow us play online.

Required Hardware

1) Router/Hub/Switch With Open Ports
2) Decent Computer
2) PS2 Network Adapter (if you have an older PS2)
3) CAT-5 Ethernet Cables (1 or 2)

Manually Configuring your Kai Engine & PS2 to Play GT4 on XLink

***Quick Note: Before you go about trying the long process of manually configuring, try the auto-detect settings, it works for some and doesn't for others. If it does then you saved yourself alot of time.***

There's been alot of people asking how to make Kai work, and there is alot of useful information on the XLink Forums. But alot of that information is scattered about in too many places to list. I've managed to find what I need on their forums to configure my PS2 correctly with the Kai Engine. Manually configuring your settings in the Kai Engine and on your PS2 is the SURE FIRE way to make it work right. If you go through this guide correctly, then you should have no problems getting your Kai to work right. If it doesn't work, then you've messed up the setup somewhere, and should go through it again to make sure you've entered in all the values correctly. This is now nearly impossible to not setup correctly since I've thrown in pics of pretty much every little thing you need to do.

Pre-Configuration...
Register for XLink, download the Kai Engine, and install it. Pretty straight forward there. DO NOT load up and sign into the Kai engine yet...

Step One: Finding your MAC Address

***Quick Note: This WILL work for both the older style PS2 and the Slim PS2.***

Make sure your PS2 Network Adapter is installed correctly (if you have an old style PS2).

(A) Start up your PS2 and press the Green Triangle button marked "Version" in the lower right-hand corner.
MACAD-01.jpg

At the Version Information screen you'll find you're MAC Address at the bottom of the list.
MACAD-02.jpg

(B) Take the last 2 parts of your MAC address, and enter those numbers/letters into the IP Spooler at this following link...
PS2 Manual IP Calculator
Write down the IP & Sub-net values the IP Calulator will produce.

Step Two: Creating & Configuring Your GT4 Network Configuration

(A) Insert your GT4 disc into your PS2 and enter Aracde Mode.
ManConfig-01.jpg

(B) Enter Multi-LAN Race
ManConfig-02.jpg

(C) Select "Create new network configuration," and select "OK" on the following menu screen.
ManConfig-03.jpg

ManConfig-04.jpg

(D) Now you're at the network configuration screen. This is where you'll enter in the IP & Sub-net values the PS2 IP Calculator produced for you.
Set your Authentification to "No," your Use DHCP to "No," and Use auto DNS to "Yes."
Under Use DHCP you'll notice that you can now manually enter in values for your IP address and your netmask (which is your Sub-net values from the IP Calculator). Enter in your values, and then select "OK." Your PS2 will automatically save this configuration to your memory card.

ManConfig-05.jpg

(E) Exit out of the Network Configuration screens and go into "Options."
Select "Lan Settings."

LANSet-01.jpg

Enter a name for your console at the next screen, whatever you feel like. Then TEMPORARILY switch your "Host" option to "Yes." Scroll down and switch your "Network Traffic" to "Light." After you've switched the "Network Traffic" to "Light", go ahead and change your "Host" option back to "No." The other settings you don't have to mess with. They're for if you're hosting, and right now you're just trying to get the program up and running with your PS2, it's of no concern at the moment.
LANSet-02.jpg

(F) Exit out of the Options Menu and SAVE YOUR GAME!!! Re-start your PS2, and again make sure your CAT-5 cable is connected to both your PS2 network adapter and your router.

Step Three: Disabling DHCP

***Quick Note: If you are not the primary Administrator on your PC, you CANNOT disable DHCP. You'll have to do so on the Administrators account.***

(A) Click the START Menu on your Windows Toolbar. Hover over Settings --> Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Click on Component Services
DHCP-01.jpg

(B) Select "Services (Local)" on the left side-bar. Then select DHCP Client in the main window. The two options I've highlighted in the picture are what you should click...
DHCP-02.jpg

(C) Having done that will lead you to the DHCP Client Properties Menu. In the middle where it says "Startup Type," switch it from Automatic to Disable like I've done in the following picture. Click "OK" and you're done disabling DHCP, there should be no need to re-boot your computer.
DHCP-03.jpg

Step Four: Configuring the Kai Engine & Checking for Proper Configuration

(A) At this point you should have your PS2 re-booted from saving your network configurations, with your CAT-5 cable plugged into your PS2 network adapter and your router. Go back into Arcade Mode, and back into Multi-LAN Race.
ManConfig-01.jpg

ManConfig-02.jpg

(B) Now select the Network Configuration you just made, and select connect.
Connect.jpg

The following "Connecting" screen should appear for afew seconds, then become a screen Xlinkers call WFC or Waiting For Connection. It will remain on the WFC screen, and thats where it should be, so don't get worried because it's not connecting to anything.
Connecting.jpg

WFC.jpg

(C) Now you can go ahead and fire up the Kai Configuration Tool seen & highlighted here...
KaiConfigTool-01.jpg

That will open the Kai Configuration Tool Menu Seen below. Click the expansion tab for "Network Adapter" and select your PC's network card. Now click the "Accept UI Connections From" expansion tab and select Any IP Address as shown in the picture below. Click "OK" at the bottom of the menu, and your Kai Engine Configuration will be saved.
KaiConfigTool-02.jpg

(D) Now start up the Kai Engine itself, and sign in with your username and password. That should take you to the screen shown below...
Click the globe in the upper right-hand corner labeled "Switch to Arena Mode."

PS2Config-01.jpg

Clicking that globe should take you to the screen shown below. Let it sit at that screen for afew seconds than click on the magnifying glass next to the globe in the upper right-hand corner labeled "Switch to Diagnostics Mode."
PS2Config-02.jpg

Now that you're in Diagnostics Mode, you'll have to check for afew things, if any of these values are not marked as specified, there is an error somewhere in your setup. In the section with the check mark, under "Network Reachable" it should read as YES. In the section with the green arrow, under "Network Card" it should read your PC's network card. Underneath that where it says "Locked" it should read as YES. If you're network card is not locked, Kai will not be able to configure your PS2 correctly, and you should go back and look over your Kai Configuration Settings in the Kai Configuration Tool from...Step 4(C).
PS2Config-03.jpg

Now finally the moment of truth. Are your PS2 and Kai Engine configured correctly to work together...?
Click on the folder tab underneath the question mark in the upper right-hand corner labeled "Switch to Diagnostics View." There you should see a message that says "Sony PlayStation 2, configured successfully." Similar to what's seen below in the picture...

PS2Config-04.jpg

This is the configuration I had to do to make XLink Kai work for me. Those that I've helped with their setups using this same configuration have pretty much all been successful if they've followed the directions. There are also other methods of conneting your computer & PS2 to the Kai engine, such as the Dual NIC method, which can be found in the XLink Setup Help section. I hope this helps any of you having problems with your XLink...

Wow, I can imagine someone having trouble with it:scared:.........
onyl thing I can say:indiff:>>...................>>great desktop:D

Excellent Job DTC. This is going into the Look Here thread. 👍

This requires a hardline to the computer, right? I use a wireless router to my PC, and my PS2 is across the room. The controller almost reaches here.

FINALLY someone explains it better now i bet i can go online & do this but all i need is a twisted/crossover/cat5 cable? i have 2 network cars in & i was trynna do it maybe today i can try again but yeah i need that cable... thx alot for Droptop_Chick u made everyones life much easier especially mines (cuz i was !@#$%^&* about it on Kai :lol: ) thx alot ;)

i read in some forums that u can enable play from wireless play i mean wireless router->comp with wireless card->ps2 connected to comp with network card->settings->play gt4 online but i never found anything on how to do it and i dont have my internet setup disc for ps2 so i dont know the mac address :( i want to drift/play online

CrazyTrance
i have the old ps2 and i can't figure out how to get to that mac address thing, can someone help me?

look at the pictures Droptop_Chick posted... get ur internet setup disc for ur internet adapter for the ps2 just look at the pictures ok? read n look first before i post later :yuck:

DAMNIT hate this now man cant play gt4 anymore stupid scratches that somehow got on my disc today when i started up the ps2 and i know that nobody touched it and it worked fine yesturday with no scratches ahh i hate this... :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy:

my network adapter didn't come with a disc and i have the old style ps2. Do i need the disc? Is there another way that i can find my mac address?

- B - i think the only way is by having ur ps2 internet adapter setup disc if u dont have it call sony email or store etc.. later man

-edit-

call sony or email them... return to store where u bought it from to get a new one or disc whatever or buy on ebay etc... later hope this kinda helps 💡

well i been away a while with some tech isues with my isp but back now all i can say is not a stone unturned superb work well done dtc :D 👍

CrazyTrance
gee, thanks einstein, i did all of that and i never once got to a screen like that.
also, everything looks different, like the graphics n stuff

If you did do everything you were supposed to, you would've seen every single screen shown in those screen caps. If you didn't, I don't know what you're doing. So your sarcasm isn't needed here...

I made this so people could actually see where to go an how to do it, for the visual people. Pictures DOES NOT mean shortcut. READ READ READ. This is my number one frustration with people, not following simple instructions. There is a reason why things need to be done, shortcuts and not doing things in order leads to problems. If you ask for help, PLEASE read and re-read someones response if that's what it takes for you to fully comprehend what someone is saying. Help isn't help if you don't open yourself up to it...

kon2oo5
- B - i think the only way is by having ur ps2 internet adapter setup disc if u dont have it call sony email or store etc.. later man

-edit-

call sony or email them... return to store where u bought it from to get a new one or disc whatever or buy on ebay etc... later hope this kinda helps 💡

my friend has one, i was just wondering if i could do it without the disc...guess not, thanks

Droptop_Chick
If you did do everything you were supposed to, you would've seen every single screen shown in those screen caps. If you didn't, I don't know what you're doing. So your sarcasm isn't needed here...

I made this so people could actually see where to go an how to do it, for the visual people. Pictures DOES NOT mean shortcut. READ READ READ. This is my number one frustration with people, not following simple instructions. There is a reason why things need to be done, shortcuts and not doing things in order leads to problems. If you ask for help, PLEASE read and re-read someones response if that's what it takes for you to fully comprehend what someone is saying. Help isn't help if you don't open yourself up to it...

I appologize for my rudeness before. I read the whole thread before i asked the question, i would not have asked for help if i didn't read it, and i did a search on it also but did not come up with any other results on finding the mac address. I belong to many other forums so i do not post a question unless i have searched beforehand. So just because it says i am a "New Member" under my name doesn't mean i am really a new member, it means i haven't posted alot, mostly due to the fact that i search and just read, i have no need to post because i have found a solution to my problem by searching for it. Anyways, your instructions are very detailed, but the design of the network discs graphics are very different from mine so i am wondering if u have a newer version of the network adapter and that is why. I go into my disc that has been given to me with the network adapter, go to isp settings, new setting, enter my name and junk, then it asks if my internet whatever requires a password to access internet, i say no, it goes and asks about dhcp stuff, i have tried both yes and no and i never get to a screen about advanced broadband settings. I might be missing a step but i don't think so, i have tried many different things over and over again. Please help me out with this.

Thanks a lot Droptop_Chick, it's even better and useful guide! I'm gonna try it out!

EDIT: Help, i have a different version of my PS2 disc Online ISP Setup, so there is no "Advenced" mode, i need help! Is there any other way to have our MAC adress?

If you have a different version of the Online Startup Disc, I wouldn't know where to look for the MAC address. But it is definately somewhere on the disc, you just have to search around and try and find it.

this is the stuff that makes me wish i had broadband. thanks DT_C. I love doing this kind of stuff. it's so neat, and i'm a nerd at heart.

CrazyTrance
it gave you a mac address in the Xlink Kai program? please tell me where, i have a different version also!
PS2Config-04.jpg

It's the number in the top of Sony Playstation 2, configured successfully.

Question : What is netmask?
Question 2 : When i disable DHCP (something like that you said), i restart my computer and the Internet doesn't work anymore. Any other way?

EDIT : Nevermind, it works! Thanks for the great guide DT_C!

Back