Mission 23 - Nissan Skylines

• Thread starter Swift
  • 183 comments
Mission 23 Nissan Skylines

I just cant let these writeups go astray, so I'll try to save as many of them as I can.
AMG_SLK
Videos
http://www.davidanderson.org.uk/gt4_videos.htm#mission
Courtesy of Daan and Famine

Awaji Islander
For the slipstream ones, the only advice I can give is to resist the temptation to try to bump or be bumped by the AI.
Keep it simple. Slipstream past them, then just keep going. They will eventually catch up, get in your stream, and pass you. It might take awhile, but trust me, they will come. Once they are past you, get behind them, and repeat.
It might seem like it is taking too long, but I did it that way and won no problem. Polyphony wouldn't have made a test where you HAD to cheat by bumping the AI. Just leave the other cars alone, they will get the job done for you.
Awaji Islander
I re-did this mission yesterday, because I thought it was pretty easy if you follow the instructions in this thread. Maybe I had just gotten lucky on the time I passed it? Nope. This mission really isn't difficult.
Rules:
1) Don't touch the other cars.
2) Don't let the other cars touch you.
3) Don't take your finger off the X button.
Awaji Islander
You might, (MIGHT!) have to briefly ease-up on the X button after the first curve. If you are getting so far ahead of the AI that they cannot catch during the following straight-away, slow down JUST A BIT to let them catch you. The AI is always a bit slow in catching up to you, slowing down to help them catch you usually doesn't help much, but that doesn't make the mission impossible. They always brake before going into the curve, so just make sure you've slipstreamed off them a bit before that.

3rdgenracerX
Mission 23 is easy to beat once you figure out how the AI will draft with you.
The key to getting them to draft you is to get about 3/4 of a second in front of the lead pack on the exit of the corner. Then put your right front tire on the yellow line thats right next to the outside wall. The AI cars will begin to slowly catch back up to you. If done correctly the AI car will actuallly PASS you without hitting you in the back. Beware though, you still may want to get over to let them pass just in case.
After the first car passes you get right behind him and draft. Another car "may" come and pass you both if you get a reallllllly good draft going. Even if you only get that one car ahead of you it will be just fine.
Pass the lead AI car just after you enter the corner and repeat the same thing on the next straight away. On the 3rd lap you will either be able to pass the Yellow GTR going into the last corner or draft off of him midway and pass him on the exit of the corner.
Once you figure out how far you need to get ahead of the pack then drafting with them will be easy. The hard part is that your relying on the AI to help you.
erik moenart989
this one took me awhile too. but the answer is simple...... draft the 5th place car all the way up until the first turn. after that, he will pull to the outside, so you should pull to the inside and begin to draft off the other cars. after about 1/5th of the first turn you should be in front of all of them except the 1st place car. at the end of the first turn, drive at full speed along the yellow line. the other cars will follow behind you, and with use of the draft(slipstream) they will pull in front of you. you can then draft off those cars once they get in front of you. this will give you increased speed, and you dont even have to slow down for them to get in front of you. continue this process until the final turn of lap 3, and then begin drafting the lead skyline. it may take a few tries, but is very doable, although it may not seem that way at first.
hint........ to draft a car while in a turn, line up quite a bit outside of him if you are a good distance back. for example: on the last lap, you are required to draft the lead car in the final turn in order to catch him. if he lines up inside the yellow line, you should line up very close to the wall.( listen until you hear a change in the air tone, then you know you are in the slipstream).
Brokenparts
for the skyline mission, pass leading into the turn. Once you get about 4-5 car lengths ahead slow down to 162-164 and just hold the gas until the straightaway. Now just line up just to the left of the yellow line and keep nailing it. It will seem like the comp wont catch you, but sumone will catch your draft and catch up. now move out of its way and let it pass you (that is if it doesnt move to pass you) and then when he passes, catch his slip and pass him into the turn and hold steady 4-5 carlengths in front and repeat for the next straight. this worked for me and I won by like 2 seconds or sumtin... i saved the replay =D
hooyeah
skyline mission use the sling shot method at the end of the turns drom the speed down to 159-160 and let them draft you if you're lucky you'll get 2 or 3 cars to pass you then you wont have a problem getting the speedo over 282 kmph lather rinse repeat on every corner and once you get the lead car in your sights its a peice of cake
justin_tyme
I just won the GT-R slipstream battle by 1/1000th of a second. I can't believe it.
I did everything correctly, I lined up behind the lead car just after the last corner, then I unnecessarily tried to pass him too close; I ended up slightly bumping into his backside some 200 feet before the finish line, which slowed me down enough for the two of us to cross it precisely together. I don't know how but I got away with it. Just 0.001 seconds worse and I would have had to do it all over. Sheesh.
For anyone interested, my stupid mistake in all the previous tries was to 'wait' for the cars behind; they tend to disappear from the rear view mirror (bumper cam) so you have a tendency to lift off the gas to let them catch up. This is wrong, if you look behind by pressing L1 you will see them, thery are there. Just be sure to keep them inside your slipstream and eventually they will catch up.
t0ast
I know what you guys mean... the GTR slipstream challenge was a real hassle, but I finally accomplished it (and won by about 6 seconds) after about a dozen tries. It's part knowing what to do and part luck with those drivers with single digit IQs in the other GTRs
My spin on it:
Start out and overtake on the first corner. 165mph is a little too slow IMO... I did it at 168-9. From there on, drive steadily on the inside of the outermost yellow line.
Keep an eye on the people behind you and if one of them is going to pass you, get the hell out of his way, since they seem more fond of ramming you than actually passing. Despite the speed boost you recieve from getting rear-ended, it's actually counterproductive, since it just slows down your help for this mission.
By the time two (maybe 3 if they're not being idiots) pass you, you'll be getting close to the next corner. ALWAYS try to slipstream around them before you hit the corner because the morons in the other skylines actually hit the brakes before going into the turn. A target speed to pass at should be right at 170 give or take a mph.
Keep repeating this process and strive AT ALL TIMES to grant those GTR's behind you slipstream. You can start to catch slip stream from the first place guy when you're about 1 second behind him (this should happen on the straight before the last turn). Slipstream the first place guy, go around and take the win.
Drew22
Here's another way to beat Mission #23. At the first corner tap the dark car as hard as you can without getting a penalty,after tapping him get and stay right in the center of his bumper and push, you'll get up to 170MPH on the straights. Stay on him , even when he does that silly braking going into the turn.On the last lap , at last corner, just before he taps his brakes, drop down to the inside of the track and stay at the bottom until you feel you can catch the slipstream, move on up behind #1 and get ready to pass, you win!
Famine
My "works every time" technique (done it three times now, first time every time) is to never change gear ever. On approach to the first turn, draft and pass underneath the pack, move back to the top yellow line and then switch to in-car/rear view for the straight. Pick a car to allow past - let him slipstream you and then move to the outside to avoid him - he WILL hit you if you don't. Stupid bugger. Flick in behind him, slipstream and pass on the inside on the next turn, then back up to the top yellow line. Keep doing this and you'll spot the yellow GT-R on your third turn. Carry on doing this until the LAST turn.
On the last turn, slipstream and pass on the inside, then stay low until you're approaching the draft zone of the yellow GT-R. Snick up and slipstream him, pass on the inside and stay low again.
You win. Hurrah!
Touring Mars
I gave it three attempts, first two were the 'Touring Mars' method... no point in telling you what that is, because it failed Third attempt was Famine's method as shown in Post #4 of this thread.... no further attempts were necessary...
In essence, this mission is about teamwork... you can only catch the leader by allowing other people to pass you cleanly, as well as passing them cleanly yourself... the key point is to GET OUT OF THE WAY of the cars coming up behind you, and let them get past you fast.... the faster they are, the faster they will make you.... use the rear view button to watch them approach you and move aside to make sure they don't hit you... if they hit you, they cannot pass, and you won't be able to slipstream them...
Famine
I've done another run - just a hair over 7'04 - and sent the replay to daan, since my recording skills suck. He's extremely efficient so it won't be long.
You just have to remember four things.
1. Don't brake or change gear.
2. The yellow line is your friend. When not doing anything else, sit your right tyres on it.
3. Drive the straights on inside/reverse view and get out of the AI's way (to the outside) when they're about to pass.
4. Dive down the inside for the first half of the last corner, up to draft AI1 and back down to the inside.
On this run, I actually got mugged by the AI3 and lost about 0.5s through his interference. Bastard.
daan
Oh look. It's a mission 23 video. What are the chances of that?
http://www.davidanderson.org.uk/gt4_videos.htm
F310B
Hats off to Famine for doing mission 23 without going into 6th gear, certainly an interesting way of doing it, since you sacrifice about 2 mph straight line speed. Each to his own, I suppose.
I counted Famine got one more draft than me, and won by 0.916 seconds. I won by 2.215 and I think that's partly because when you are in 6th gear, you get less drafts (it takes longer for the AI to catch you because you are going faster), but the drafts you do get are bigger. Most of Famine's drafts were 170 mph-ish, and his largest was 174 I think. My biggest draft was my final one before I drafted the lead car - an absolutely huge draft when the whole field passed me, and I reached 179 mph as I took them back. It catapulted me round the track and I passed the lead car on the straight before the last corner.
Orion_SR
Mission 23 Slipstream Strategy
Patience is the Key
In order to catch the lead car, the pack must drive as fast as possible. Your time and speed isn’t as important as theirs, until the last lap. The pack cars will brake at the end of the straights, so pack speed during turns is fairly constant. Key: Make your moves during the turns so the pack drafts as fast as possible down the straights.
Start to pass the pack shortly after beginning each turn. On the first turn, this will be about 5 seconds later than possible. Time it so you pass the pack with a speed near 175 mph at the apex of each turn (3 o’clock and 9 o’clock). Exit the turn going full speed down the straight but still within drafting range of the pack. Hold a steady path inside the outer yellow line so the pack can draft as much as possible from the end of the turn to the beginning of the next. You can also pass as late as the end of the turn if you are going near 180 mph, so there is a little wiggle room. Longer drafts lead to faster passes; mind the extra speed when passing from farther back.
If timed correctly, the pack will finally begin to pass you just before the beginning of the next turn, having drafted the entire length of the straight, and you are in position to start the next pass. If you are slightly ahead, it will be necessary to very carefully manage your speed (slow down) in order to setup to draft a full speed exit into the next straight. When they catch up, allow the first two cars to pass unobstructed and line up for a speed bump from the third car if necessary. Actually, creating a little separation between the pack cars will help anyway. I like to move to the right when they pass and overtake on the inside, but this isn’t always the best path. A rule of thumb - Pass too soon or too fast, they won’t catch up: Wait too long or go too slow and they’ll pass too soon. Except for the very end of the straight, and beginning of each turn, where timing is crucial, run flat out full speed.
Using this strategy for the first five turns, I was able to catch a draft off the lead car by the end of the last straight and slipped past early in the turn. Then I rode the inside wall to prevent any further drafting and finished 2.731 seconds ahead. In retrospect, starting the last turn early was probably the best strategy anyway, and I could set this up by passing a little later in the fifth turn. Best time: 7’01:811. (2 in a row, too)
Gear Note: I'm driving with an Automatic transmission. While making a good pass at 174 mph or more the car will usually shift into 6th gear just as I overtake the lead car. However, I still had good laps in 5th gear only (many have reported they like 5th better anyway). At the end of each straight, I would usually shift back down to 5th gear while bleeding off any extra speed and positioning my car far enough behind the draft cars to get a fast pass. So… maybe I’d make it back to 6th, maybe not.
STINGER05
You will pass guaranteed if you do the following:
1. Read the comments by Famine in the following thread (The Key to beat mission 23)https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showt...ghlight=mission
2. Watch the video of daan (link provided above)
3. Do NOT change gears (always stay in 5th gear!) (as Famine points out, but you might overread it like me)
4. Let the cars pass you (either 1,2 or 3, depending if you can sneak in behind without a collison), slip stream and overtake again.....
5. Approaching the final curve in the final round, cut down low, sneak up behind the yellow car, slip stream and overtake (now you can even change into 6th gear, but its not necessary).
Zdriver
Hey there,
I was able to complete mission 23 on my second try because I watched Famine do it on Daan's GT4 movie site --> http://www.davidanderson.org.uk/gt4_videos.htm#mission
After watching someone else do it, you get it into your head that it is not impossible and that really helped me. Hopefully, this will help you too.
Thanks,
Zdriver

After months of not being able to do it I finally did it yesterday, and boy was it easy!!!!! I just used the other Skylines to ram me instead of me slip-streaming them and it worked fine. Did it first time after trying.

Nice one AMG 👍 If anyone can't pass it now, they should just hang up their DS2...

Finished this mission yesterday and it was easier than I could remember it being last time I tried. A caught the leader going into the last turn and won by 2.3 secs. :cheers:

All driving missions now completed :cheers:

i really dont see how anyone had trouble with this one. i had the most trouble with the Oddessey one, and that was because i was using AT and it would switch to 6th and slow me down. a quick change to manual and i did it first time

All of these slip streaming missions were fairly simple... I found my best technique for this one was to concentrate on just one "helper" car and get him as fast as possible... Eventually the other ones will use him and you when you're a bit ahead anyway and may come and give you a ram later... I was past the leader before the last bend when I completed this one.

C.

ive done this mission around 100 times and each time the A.I cars just cant catch me or they keep smashing into each other and slow each other down . i can draft them until the first corner tand get past them but they just cant keep up.ive read all the techniques and watched the videos and no luck .decided to scap the mission as im sick of it

propellerhead
ive done this mission around 100 times and each time the A.I cars just cant catch me or they keep smashing into each other and slow each other down . i can draft them until the first corner tand get past them but they just cant keep up.ive read all the techniques and watched the videos and no luck .decided to scap the mission as im sick of it

Use your rear view mirror to make sure they are directly behind you on the straights. They'll catch up, and then make sure they don't hit you. I hated the slipstream missions, too, but they're not actually that hard if you figure out the technique.

propellerhead

@ Propellerhead,
(Read my sig) and then re-read the advice above from Famine and Stinger05 again. I guarantee you; you will succeed and then laugh about it.
The advice I and others before me can give is to be patient. AI2-5 will catch you!
I stayed in 5th gear (I usually drive auto, but switched over to MT for this one) put my car on the inside of the outer yellow line. I never braked or let go of speed. I did get bumped a bit but thats unavoidable. Keep it down to a minimum though.
Watched the rear view more than what was in front. Only moved over to outside of yellow line to let 1 sometimes 2 AIs take over and immediately dropped in behind them to start the cat and mouse game and back to inside of outer yellow line.
As Famine said on the very last bend drop down and back up again to catch AI 1.
It worked like a charm for me!

PS as you've done it >100 times. When you decide to give it another go, clear your mind, forget the previous tries. Tackle this one as if you have never seen this mission before. This tactic works for me.

AMG_SLK

I too am having so much trouble with this mission, which is pretty inexplicable really because I did all the other slipstream missions first time and I'm very good at driving Skylines (I use them all the time!)... But as far as this mission goes I seem to be cursed! One thing I haven't tried is staying in fifth gear, so that's what I'll do next.

I don't want to scrap it because a) I'm not defeatist b) I want more percentage and c) I also want the Zonda Race Car.

DE

I can remember when I did this with AT, for me I thought I would never get it, with MT though, for me it was a joke. Keep going at it propellerhead, if I could pass it without cheating, you can too. ;)

The way I was finally able to catch the lead car was by leapfrogging with the other cars down the straights and then jump in front of the pack at the entrance of the turns while using the rearview to position my car in such a manner to keep the rest of the pack in my slipstream so that they could keep up with me all the way through the turn and be able to help out on the next straight.

This is the only way I could get the other cars to keep up. If you don't stay in the right position through the turns a gap develops between yourself and the other cars that prevents them from being much help once you get to the straights. Find the sweet spot just in front of the other cars and they will move right in behind you all the way through the turn. It's your responsibily to keep the other cars behind you through the turns because they simply will not do this on their own.

Mission Hall and Special Condition Hall are extremely challenging because you have that damned five seconds penalty. I decided first to win the remaining Extreme and Endurance Events, like the Formula GT Championship (ironically this a very easy race). Yesterday, I finally could pass Mission 23, I knew that I had to do the trick of using the wind tunnel, and then letting the cars pass me again, using the wind tunnel, and so forth, but previously those blasted cars couldn´t catch me again or would simply crash with me. Yesterday, they behaved well, when they came I moved out of their way, and I won by and advantage of 1.33 s having the improbable maximum speed of 177 mph.

Could any one of you give some advices on how to win the Special Condition Hard Events of Rally and Ice? They are supossed to be 3 A-spec points race, but they look like 100 A-spec points race. Would the Suzuki Dirt Trial Rally Car or the Mitsubishi Pajero help me to win these races easily? The most useful to me has been the Toyota RSC Rally Car, but I don´t if there are better rally cars than this? In GT3, special condition was very easy and I used the Subaru Imprezza, but in GT4 this car sucks.

Ok I finaly finished this mission after I dont know how many tries. I used a combination of all the tips I read up on. What worked was letting them bump me at the end of the front striaght and drafting them at the back strech. I caught the leader half way around the last turn. I honestly think this is the hardest test of them all Ive finished all of them except 34 which Ive yet to try but Im sure that will take me forever as well

I created this guide back in March and posted it in the SOE GT4 forum. There's admittedly nothing revolutionary here, but it's more of a 'walk through' than any of the quick-tips on the front page. I won this by 3+ seconds the first go-around, but didn't record the lap. When I re-ran it months later to get approximate splits I pooched the run and squeaked in with a -0.143.

I bashed those who advocated 'bump drafting teh red car for three lapz" and for good reason -- it's a crap, hack, unrealistic way to run the mission.

You have to manage the pack, which means **NOT** just mashing X for 3 laps.

This works *and* you have room for error. I passed the lead car just out of the tunnel on the back stretch, won by nearly three seconds, and the lead car was just barely at the head of the pack by 0.250 seconds.

1) Draft down the first straight.
2) Smoothly pull to the inside and pass all cars. Keep on the accelerator until the pass is complete.
3) Move in front of the lead car (here come the secret).
4) **Let off the accelerator until your speed is 166 MPH, then hit the gas again. **
5) Drive as much out of rear-view as front view. Keep in position to allow the AI to draft.
6) When the lead car(s) come up behind you, move swiftly, but smoothly right outside the yellow line and let as many go by as are in the pack. You actually WANT them to get a bit ahead of, but only through their own momentum. Never Never Never slow down on a straight.
7) When it's safe to pick up the draft again, pull in behind and draft for as long as possible. For this second turn, I passed on the outside on all laps (except the last one where I was clear & I just hugged the bottom of the track).
8) Repeat 4-7.

The only real 'trick' here is knowing the proper speed to drop to after the pass in a corner. I haven't experimented with this (I'm just happy I passed the thing), but I didn't just squeak out a victory, I kicked that Yellow POS to the CURB.

**edit notes**

Err on the high side (167MPH) vs. the low side (165MPH). I just re-ran the mission and I blew one draft (dropped to 165 instead of 167/166) and got run up into a guardrail in one of the corners (no penalty).

Still won by 2+ seconds, passing the yellow car 1/4 way into the last turn.

Bonus Tip: 1-2 cars, pass to the outside. 3+ cars, pass to the inside. When I got chucked to the guardrail I was trying to go high around 3 cars and one just rode me all the way to the outer wall.

As much as possible, follow the outside yellow line. Only deviate to get out of the way of an oncoming car, to make a pass, or to cut inside on the final curve.

4/10/05 Edit for split times:

I ran this again, first time in a while. I absolutely BLEW the start (lost 0.350 trying to get a straight line going) & the first pass. As a result, I didn't make the final pass until the final straight leading up to the start finish line. Here are the split times.

Split times:

0.5 laps: +9.018 sec
1.0 laps: +7.776 sec
1.5 laps: +6.223 sec
2.0 laps: +4.633 sec
2.5 laps: +2.928 sec
*Finish*: -0.143 sec

(from http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=granturismo&message.id=104553 )

Its easy to win by just going full throttle all the time.
The other cars will never be too far away to be out of your slipstream.
I even bumped into the yellow skyline on the last complete straight.

thanks alot famine i got it on the first try!!! i saw the lead car on the corner before the end of the second lap and my heart started to beat soo fast.

i also had to brake/slow down twice because i was too far infront of the whole lot so they couldn't draft me

I did it exactly how the 'rules' were described and I was able to pass the mission first time. Before I found this board, I had tried numerous times with no luck. :crazy:

I am new to the board btw. 👍

kyle
I can remember when I did this with AT, for me I thought I would never get it, with MT though, for me it was a joke. Keep going at it propellerhead, if I could pass it without cheating, you can too. ;)

To let you know though, when I did this mission the other night, it took me three trys before I was able to pass this mission. The only reason why I won was because the AI cars bumped from me behind on the last turn of the last lap and that made me win by about, if I remember correctly, 0.325 secs or so. So, technically I never cheated I was keeping my passengers side tires on the farthest outside yellow line of the track on the last lap but ended up getting lucky. If that never happened I would still be trying to beat the mission.

But Either than that it was a piece of cake following everyones tips who posted. Congrats to the better drivers 👍 👍 :cheers:

I finally cracked Mission 23 today, and IMHO, I think it requires a fair bit of luck. I found the major problem was that five times out of six the four AI cars (red, silver, black and white) preferred to fight for the racing line, trying to muscle one another to one side, the end result being that they slowed right down. On the one occasion that I did get lucky enough to have them follow me, only about one time in eight did they actually keep up with me for at least two and a half laps. It was frustrating to see them back off after two laps while you're still three seconds down.

Personally, I found it best to draft down the main straight and through the first corner and pulling out of the slipstream just shy of 280km/h, then keep to the racing line - as previously stated - down the back straight. With luck, two cars will draft you just out of the tunnel and you can line it up by looking back. Rinse, lather, repeat as best you can, but for once on the second lap, get as close to the inside wall as possible. It might sound ridiculous because it's about as far away from the racing line as you can get, but if you've amnaged to work it up to 270-275 in a slipstream, you can reel the yellow car in by up to a second each time, but the trade-off is that you'll lose the chase pack.

Thanks Famine, watched the first bit of your replay, then completed it easily 👍

Back