Ontario CampusCup

• Thread starter tait
  • 43 comments

tait

meow
Premium
Sony is hosting a CampusCup - http://www.segalcommunications.com/campuscup2005/ for our beloved GT4. Basically, first round is to qualify for your school. Winner gets a psp 👍 , and moves on to the final game in Toronto. Win that, and Sony pays your tuition for next year.

Rules are:
- Track Laguna Seca
- Any car (the game has no progression so choices are limited)
- Any tire settings
- Aids are optional a long with automatic/manual
- Single Arcade style races of 2 laps
- 4 Tries in total, fastest lap wins.

I went out early in the day to check the setup of things. It was the usual wheel and chair setup. I went back to my res where I practiced for a bit and made sure I was pulling good times constantly with the same setup (they posted Western's best time which was 1.21, I was pulling 1.19 4/5 laps after a few practice laps using the Penzoil Nismo GTR). When I went back to the event the current fastest time was 1.20:9###. After 3 tries my fastest was only 1.21 landing me 3rd. I took a break and calmed my nerves, went back and pulled a 1.20.6##; only .3 better than the current fastest. After the contest was over they let us race, in which I got a 1.18.115 which hopefully stands as the best time out of all schools (the Sony guys were in awe). So yeah, a winner is me 👍 . I'll be going to Toronto in hopes that I can save my parents some money and rub it in their face for yelling at me to stop playing gt so much.

youawinna.jpg

Congratz!

You're lucky I haven't began university in Canada yet and am still in Switzerland or you would have lost! I'm joking.

Seriously, I wish you the most of luck so you and your parents can save money on university, which unfortunately isn't free. I've already won 100 Swiss Francs playing GT4 ;)

Wow. I *just* saw this. Awesome job, man 👍

Looks like I'm going to get on campus especially early next Tuesday. My only problem is that I don't have a wheel, so I may be at a disadvantage if I'm forced to use one (since I haven't touched one in about 8 months, on the PC last).

This is pretty freakin' cool. It'll be interesting to see how many GT players are at York :D

Oh, btw, I'm assuming they don't allow anybody into the "Quick Tune" settings to bump up hp and trim weight?

I just loaded up the game without a memcard, wow, there really isn't a lot of options for cars... I'm thinking the Z will be my choice :)

antihero
So yeah, a winner is me 👍 . I'll be going to Toronto in hopes that I can save my parents some money and rub it in their face for yelling at me to stop playing gt so much.
May that be a lesson to all parents (and girlfriends :sly: ) Congratulations and good luck in Toronto 👍

Hehe...

not that it'll translate well, since I'm on a DS2, but I've found the car I'll be using :D. Managed a 1:16.905 just a few moments ago :)

cookieee
To all campuscup winners at their universities, did any of you hear from segalcommunications regarding the finals yet?
Nope, but I was told from one of the people there that we should be getting a call in early January, but in case we don't get that call, we were given a card with some guy's phone number at segalcommunications who's responsible for this campus cup. I guess we just need to wait a little or call that dude.

Is there a list yet of all who will be going to the finals from each university?

Touring Mars
May that be a lesson to all parents (and girlfriends :sly: ) Congratulations and good luck in Toronto 👍

Yes i get in trouble a bit for playing GT4 a lot (mostely trying to beat fastest laps). It happens though.

cookieee
lol i don't think so, but i think we can all just show ourselves here.. im from Laurier.
Hmm, the guy in charge of the comp at my university was saying the fastest time was from Laurier... good job man 👍 So what was your time exactly, and what car/tranny/aids? I'm from Concordia btw.

I believe I received a phone call yesterday about the competition, but I wasn't home. Someone else picked up and told me about it. I should be getting a call again this afternoon. Has anyone received the call yet?

T13R
... good job man 👍 So what was your time exactly, and what car/tranny/aids? I'm from Concordia btw.

lol thanks, i considered myself a bit flukey. i got 1.16.2xx on my very last try, i was pretty steady in 1st until other people start tuning their cars in the "Quick Tune" menu.. so i was forced to do the same, or else i would be at a major disadvantage. I was in the Z, and if i remembered correcly, i was at 18% more power and with the full 10% weight reduction, also adjusted my max speed to 280 (default at 320 or 340)

I should go try this..but sadly I'm only in HighSchool =(
*edit*
Tried 3 cars, best times came in my 4th lap. (after that, pushed too hard and spun)
1'20.134 Takata NSX
1'19.183 Penzoil GTR
1'18.259 "the Z"

cookieee
lol thanks, i considered myself a bit flukey. i got 1.16.2xx on my very last try, i was pretty steady in 1st until other people start tuning their cars in the "Quick Tune" menu.. so i was forced to do the same, or else i would be at a major disadvantage. I was in the Z, and if i remembered correcly, i was at 18% more power and with the full 10% weight reduction, also adjusted my max speed to 280 (default at 320 or 340)
WHAT?! We were forced to keep the car stock. Could only pick the car to use, assists, and tires. We weren't allowed in the quick tune menu. I only had a 1'20.3xx at the comp, almost no experience with a wheel. Recently I hooked up an old wheel I haven't used in a couple of years and took my time down to 1'16.4xx with no power increase or weight decrease or gearing changed. My best with DS2 so far was a 1'16.3xx so I think I'm slowly getting the hang of the wheel. With the available mods in the quick tune menu, I'm sure times in the 1'14s would be easy to get. I used the Woodone Supra.

Anyhow, I received an e-mail from the Account Executive of Segal Communications. The tournament will be in Toronto on January 28th. It basically just asks for all your contact details so they can proceed with the prizing and send you the "winner's package" which includes travel to Toronto and details for hotel and the event.

T13R
WHAT?! We were forced to keep the car stock. Could only pick the car to use, assists, and tires. We weren't allowed in the quick tune menu..

yeah, thats what i thought too, i was just running 1.18 on a stock Z with driving aids, but then some dudes started tuning their cars, and eventually got better times than me lol.. so i HAD to do the same to keep up with their times..

hmm but yea, lol i didnt get an email yet hahaha.

Those times were just me messing around.I'll get serious about it when im not hungry. B.T.W I didn't know you were allowed to tune the car! =( That 1'18 I spun once and had an off-track excursion. (after 1'st hairpin)

cookieee
LOL did you just say hotel?! aren't we goin to be there for like.. max a few hours?
Heh, yea I know it sounds a little weird but apparently winning the comp at your university automatically gets you a free night at a hotel... I'm guessing really nearby wherever it is this thing is taking place.

****ING HELL!! they were at my school (Ryerson) and i was sayin that i was gonna go.....but after a pitcher of beer i realy didnt feel like it.....im so mad about it now bc i think i could have won!

sunnybwoy
Those are some easy times, god i wish i was still at UofT :(

i think everyone who played did worse than they expected simply b/c of how the sony ppl set up everything.. lol they didn't even set up the cockpits correctly, and the LCDs they used were superrr blurry...

So has anyone received any news yet?? The event is in 20 days. I sent back the e-mail to the guy with my contact info but I haven't heard from him yet.

Slightly off topic, I did a few laps with a stock Motul Pitwork Z and took my time down to 1'15.599 (no aids, super softs, manual) Too bad there won't be any DS2's there.

yeah.. they said they are goin to mail us some winners package after we send them our contact info? hmm.. i havnt reallie been practicing lately after school started.. but i jus kinda want to know what we are doing that day.

T13R
So has anyone received any news yet?? The event is in 20 days. I sent back the e-mail to the guy with my contact info but I haven't heard from him yet.

Slightly off topic, I did a few laps with a stock Motul Pitwork Z and took my time down to 1'15.599 (no aids, super softs, manual) Too bad there won't be any DS2's there.

and are we still doing a lap run at laguna seca on the 28th? cuz if we are, i really don't think we should be getting anything like a one-night stay at a hotel, as each of us running a lap at laguna only takes like.. max 2 hours?

cookieee
and are we still doing a lap run at laguna seca on the 28th? cuz if we are, i really don't think we should be getting anything like a one-night stay at a hotel, as each of us running a lap at laguna only takes like.. max 2 hours?
From the Campus Cup 2005 website:
The twelve winners of the Participating University First Prizes will compete in a tournament to determine the Campus Cup 2005 Gaming Champion. This tournament will consist of a qualifying round to rank the twelve (12) winners of the Participating University First Prizes followed by head-to-head races between the contestants in a single-elimination format (with the fastest four drivers from the qualifying round being granted a bye in the first round of head-to-head competition) until only one driver remains. The winner of the head-to-head competition will be named “Campus Cup 2005 Gaming Champion” and be awarded the Grand Prize, consisting of the payment of the contestant’s tuition at a Participating University for the 2006-2007 academic year (commencing in September 2006), to a maximum of $6,000. Payment will not be made to the contestant, but will be made directly to the Participating University.
So the qualifier might be one lappers, say in Time Trial, to determine fastest lap time, but there will actually be head-to-head racing to determine the winner. I'm also unsure if they will stick to Laguna Seca or switch to another track, and I also don't know what they will decide for the car to use. In the e-mail I also asked if we would be able to use a DS2, but since I sent it, I think on January 3rd or 4th, I still haven't received any reply, not even a confirmation that my e-mail was received or anything. There is now only 17 days left.

Back