GT5 Latest News & Discussion

• Thread starter gamelle71
  • 76,879 comments
So.. still nothing new about those updates with new features and content.. (they were meant to come in september and october).. :/

I think that update are already done few mounths ago.

PD 'll starts to introduce new features near FM4's exit date

there's nothing balanced about IGN. These clowns think all GT has to offer is night and weather racing.

Then again i wouldn't expect much a from site that wrote a preview on forza eulogising about night racing when the damn game does not even have it in the first place. :lol:

Says alot about their reviewers really...

No - I think they're absolutely right. GT5, while a fantastic game (particularly for its driving feel) simply isn't as good as it should've been. It is the victim of some baffling production decisions, and was only just better than Forza 3. I reckon IGN nailed it, the only surprise for me was that anyone in the mainstream video game press even cared about gt5 anymore. I thought the only ones expecting updates and DLC were the hardcore types that form the core of places like GTplanet.

Don´t even get me started with the leaderboards. I don´t why other people are not as mad as i am that this feature is in both GT HD and Prologue, but it´s still not in GT5.

True, but both of those games had a limited selection of cars and tracks and you couldn't choose what type of tire to use, so in GT5, it would be much harder to re-create due to the much larger selection of tracks, cars, and tire types/compounds. Thats just my theory anyway..

peter_vod69
No - I think they're absolutely right. GT5, while a fantastic game (particularly for its driving feel) simply isn't as good as it should've been. It is the victim of some baffling production decisions, and was only just better than Forza 3. I reckon IGN nailed it, the only surprise for me was that anyone in the mainstream video game press even cared about gt5 anymore. I thought the only ones expecting updates and DLC were the hardcore types that form the core of places like GTplanet.

[Like]

Killinator
Interesting article on IGN,
I'd say it sums up a lot of peoples feelings regarding GT:

http://ie.ps3.ign.com/articles/119/1196570p1.html

Seems pretty balanced to me and makes the points many have made here oh so many times.

This article says it all. GT5 and Forza 3 were my first experience with both series. I'll be back for Forza 4, but take a pass on the next GT game.
The GT series squandered so many chances at greatness by ignoring the advancements of the compition, it comes off as arrogance.

👍

And this
The Top Gear tie-in simply did not feel like something that had been gestating for three or so years. It was comically underused. After presumably months and months of time and resources spent impeccably crafting the track the Top Gear component of the game itself resulted in a measly three events – and only one of them featured an actual sports car. Not only did the game eschew the time-trial format the track is famous for in favour of bog standard one-make races against a large field of opponents, Polyphony ensured your first experience of the track – a track famous for putting the world's most desirable supercars through their paces – was a VW SambaBus race, a van barely capable of hitting 80 kilometres per hour.
Every time you do this race The Stig throws up in his mouth a little bit.
:lol::lol:

To be honest, I think adding the Top Gear track was enough, sure the Top Gear Special Events could be implemented better (as well as adding a standing start) but as much as I enjoy watching Top Gear for amusement I think hearing Clarkson speak once a week is more than enough.
That they chose to make such a big deal out of it (with a promised Stig-element, etc.) was just asking to be trumped by their rival on this aspect.

I think the 3 reasonably priced cars and a mode where you can go against the Stig would be fantastic and make a good use of the licence without making it into Top Gear: The Videogame!

To be honest, I think adding the Top Gear track was enough, sure the Top Gear Special Events could be implemented better (as well as adding a standing start) but as much as I enjoy watching Top Gear for amusement I think hearing Clarkson speak once a week is more than enough.
That they chose to make such a big deal out of it (with a promised Stig-element, etc.) was just asking to be trumped by their rival on this aspect.

I think the 3 reasonably priced cars and a mode where you can go against the Stig would be fantastic and make a good use of the licence without making it into Top Gear: The Videogame!

Thats all I want. Jeremy, I can live without.

so it's a fantastic game bit it is simply as good as it should have been. does not compute. baffling production decisions? Like what? priotising night racing and weather over some **** livery and auctions? please.

oh by the way IGN clowns don't really care about GT that much. They just want some page views since forza 4 is coming out. They in their infinite wisdom think both series are comparable. They are not really. Forza is just another racing sim.

so it's a fantastic game bit it is simply as good as it should have been. does not compute. baffling production decisions? Like what?

Does not compute? How doesn't it? It could've been better is his point.

And baffling production decisions: read the article everyone is referencing.

Oy.

Like what? priotising night racing and weather over some **** livery and auctions? please.

Ok, I'll bite, seems I posted the link(and agree 100% with it),

Starting with the TGTT,
a track, as stated, used to test the fastest most exotic/exciting cars in the world,
2 of the 3 special events are in uber slow 'cars' that have no real place in a racing game---I justify the term racing game, because that is what you do primarily in the game.

Staying with the TGTT, you can't use the MASSIVE runway to test cars, and if you run more than a few feet off track you hit an invisible wall,

No TGTT reasonably priced cars,

No standing start,

The Stig is absent despite his appearance in a pre release video,

Even the camera views used in the show were hinted at in the same video but are noticeably absent.

That's a few regarding the TGTT,
But briefly,

Not being able to buy brakes,
Really poor damage despite the hype from the developers,
Standard cars........,
Laguna Seca looks horrendous,
A lack of 2011 models,
No DLC,
Night racing on some tracks,
Weather on some tracks,
Weird paint chip system,
Less than 20 cars can be race modified out of *1000,
Cars being classed as different models despite the only difference being a paintjob(NASCAR, Peugeot 908)
Car horns, followed by, UNLOCKABLE car horns,

I could go into positives, the driving being superlative,
But with the above list it should 'compute' that the game can have fantastic driving but could also have been much much better except for some bewildering choices from the developers.

Not being able to buy brakes,
This would require a more accurate brake simulation (fade, operating temperatures, behavior, failures, etc). Racing brake upgrades didn't really do anything in previous GTs and that's probably why they removed them in GT5.

Forza is just another racing sim.

Then what is GT last I looked it is the "Real Driving Simulator".

They both look good.

This would require a more accurate brake simulation (fade, operating temperatures, behavior, failures, etc). Racing brake upgrades didn't really do anything in previous GTs and that's probably why they removed them in GT5.

Reminds me of the driveshaft. I don't think it does anything.

Laguna Seca looks horrendous,

Cars being classed as different models despite the only difference being a paintjob(NASCAR, Peugeot 908)

1. Your opinion, don't list opnions with facts.
2. Again you don't know the facts. If you bought all the nascars you would no the interiors a very unique to one another and do not look the same (dials, instruments and such).
I didn't know that until I checked it out, but yes the production of the game is a mess just look at my sig.
And does not seem like the Gran Turismo I was buying.

Last edited:
Good point, hadn't considered that and was not up to speed as to how detailed the physics and such were modeled as regards brakes,
But if the brake fade, failures, etc aren't modeled currently then why not just make it that racing brakes stop you faster than regular brakes,
You don't currently need to concern yourself with the finer points of your brakes anyway so why not have it that bigger brakes equals smaller brake distances,
I'm am not asking to be confrontational by the way, but do you know of an underlying reason why they could not do it that way instead of the current one size fits all solution in play?

1. Your opinion, don't list opnions with facts.
2. Again you don't know the facts. If you bought all the nascars you would no the interiors a very unique to one another and do not look the same (dials, instruments and such).
I didn't know that until I checked it out, but yes the production of the game is a mess just look at my sig
And does not seem like the Gran Turismo I was buying

1. It is opinion, I didn't mean it to sound like a fact so much, but I would think its hard to argue that Laguna actually looks that good.
2. I was unaware of such small changes, but still the underlying point remains, I don't think a few extra/different dials should constitute seperate models, more alterations of one model.

Last edited:
Not being able to buy brakes - Horrid
Really poor damage despite the hype from the developers - Every other game has poor prebaked damaged GT5 is no exception
Standard cars........ - Horrid
Laguna Seca looks horrendous - Nurbrubring looks glorious
A lack of 2011 models - Really, F4 wont have cars from 2014..so that's a negative? really?
No DLC - Horrid too. If you had money to buy it.
Night racing on some tracks - Dan green said it himself. To do night racing you have to build the track from the ground up. F4 does the same with its times of day.
Weather on some tracks - Same as above
Weird paint chip system - Horrid
Less than 20 cars can be race modified out of *1000 - Horrid (This could all go onto liveries couldn't it?
Cars being classed as different models despite the only difference being a paintjob(NASCAR, Peugeot 908) - Thats how it works in real life too
Car horns, followed by, UNLOCKABLE car horns - Didnt make my experience of the game any different.

I have been big fan of GTplanet for a while and also member of neogaf but i just joined gtplanet. Honestly, i think there should be some sort of moderation of the site imo. A healthy argument is one where we argue then agree to disagree after all is said and done. But it seems like to the determent of other fans on the site there is constant bickering on the same points over and over and over again. I think neogaf is ran well in this regard.

Good point, hadn't considered that and was not up to speed as to how detailed the physics and such were modeled as regards brakes,
But if the brake fade, failures, etc aren't modeled currently then why not just make it that racing brakes stop you faster than regular brakes,
You don't currently need to concern yourself with the finer points of your brakes anyway so why not have it that bigger brakes equals smaller brake distances,
I'm am not asking to be confrontational by the way, but do you know of an underlying reason why they could not do it that way instead of the current one size fits all solution in play?
Because in reality it's the tires that stop a car, as long as brakes are able to lock up them. Most brake systems on street cars in real life have enough power to lock up grippy tires, although they don't have the endurance to do full stops repeatedly due to fading and other issues. With really grippy tires or added downforce actually more powerful brakes might be necessary, but for the most part upgrades are usually performed for endurance and reliability during heavy usage (and other things. A good side effect of an improved braking system is increased, more direct control, for example).

Brakes in GT5 always operate at their top performance, don't suffer from fade, have always an optimal feel, can't fail or get damaged, don't suffer from wear, and have enough power to lock up any tire in all situations (except on some cars with very high downforce at high speeds). Upgrades would be useless.

Because in reality it's the tires that stop a car, as long as brakes are able to lock up them. Most brake systems on street cars in real life have enough power to lock up grippy tires, although they don't have the endurance to do full stops repeatedly due to fading and other issues. With really grippy tires or added downforce actually more powerful brakes might be necessary, but for the most part upgrades are usually performed for endurance and reliability during heavy usage (and other things. A good side effect of an improved braking system is increased, more direct control, for example).

Brakes in GT5 always operate at their top performance, don't suffer from fade, have always an optimal feel, can't fail or get damaged, don't suffer from wear, and have enough power to lock up any tire in all situations (except on some cars with very high downforce at high speeds). Upgrades would be useless.
Well....I can't argue with any of that:tup:

2. I was unaware of such small changes, but still the underlying point remains, I don't think a few extra/different dials should constitute seperate models, more alterations of one model.

I've said it many times before that it's a common misconception I hear a lot here (where you'd expect it to be common knowledge) to think all NASCAR cars are a simple cut and paste job with the only difference being the livery since each interior (even cars from the same brand) is unique, unlike the Peugeot 908 you mentioned where the only difference is indeed the livery (like it is in real life, just like all NASCAR cars seem to have a unique interior in real life) which suggests an awful lot of time went into creating them.
If you actually paid some attention to all different NASCAR interiors (which you might do before claiming something) you'd know that it's not just a few different dials or small alterations but truly an independantly modelled interior which is entirely different (also look around in the car).
Ofcourse they look similar at first glance, in the same way a Golf and Focus have a similar looking dashboard (to an untrained eye), which obviously is something different than the same or slightly altered.
Whether we need that many different NASCAR vehicles meticulously recreated with an insane amount of detail which seemingly goes unnoticed by the majority is another question perhaps.

"Brakes in GT5 always operate at their top performance, don't suffer from fade, have always an optimal feel, can't fail or get damaged, don't suffer from wear, and have enough power to lock up any tire in all situations (except on some cars with very high downforce at high speeds). Upgrades would be useless. "

Gotta disagree here....

most all of what you state is right on BUT I would contend that if I was to up grade the brakes on one of my actual race cars I'd most definitly expect that the car would stop faster. Faster than it did with the old brake system. To me it is a must that if you are gonna go racing the things that get done to a car first is the suspention and brakes then the engine. This little idea is completly skipped by the game.

One of my real complaints is how the cyber model (performance perameters) is made up by the game. Take the '69 Z/28 - buy it completly amp it up and see what you get as far as performance. Then take the '69 SS Camaro and do the same - the two models don't match from a handling stand point????? ( the Z/28 handels way better). The horse power on the Z/28 (the Chevy 302ci) equals out to more than the SS's 350?????? 48 cubic inches is a WHOLE bunch let me tell ya.

Lastly they butchered the only Mustang in the game.....

Let me explain I'm old school I own, raced, and still love my '64 to '68 Mustangs. The representation of the Shelby GT350R is a CRIMINAL OFFENCE in my opinion. If you want a list of complaints ask I'll write them out.

Cya,
Hankster

SHIRAKAWA Akira

Sort of on topic of brakes.......When I turn ABS off in game I basically can't touch the brakes because they immediately lock up, I have the brakes on my actual racecar (doesn't have ABS) way softer, are you guys turning the bias down when you turn ABS off?

Sort of on topic of brakes.......When I turn ABS off in game I basically can't touch the brakes because they immediately lock up, I have the brakes on my actual racecar (doesn't have ABS) way softer, are you guys turning the bias down when you turn ABS off?
Yes, you have to tune brake bias so that front tires will be able to lock before than rear ones (but still be able to lock under maximum load) and that you won't suffer from oversteer when braking. This means that the front bias value will have to be significantly higher than the rear.

GT5のユーザーのみなさん、お待たせしました。 GT5「スペック2.0」アップデートは10月の第三週の予定です。DLCの提供は、その一週間後に。#GT5jp
Translate with Google:
Dear user of GT5, Thank you for waiting. GT5 "Specification 2.0" update is scheduled for the third week of October. Providing DLC is that after one week. # GT5jp
Wow...can't wait!
Is like a reborn of GT5!

Twitted by Kaz 11.15 CEST sept 28th

Back