"Chicago" - how is it pronounced correctly?

the Interceptor

Premium
Germany
Germany
theInterceptor77
Dear GTPlanet members,

I'm sure there are many things you forgot since you left school, but I'm also sure there are many things you also remember. Small things, things that amazed or confused you. I remembered a few things from my english class, which include the "abnormal" pronounciation of the name "Chicago". I remember that the name was derived from the indian word "shikaakwa" (I didn't remember the exact word, I got that from Wiki). Therefor, you don't pronounce it "chi-kah-go" as in "chicken", rather than "shi-kah-go", as in "she".

However, since that day, I have never ever met, seen or heard anybody pronouncing that word correctly. Even on CNN, I've seen reporters saying "Chicago" with the "ch". This has silently attended me over the years, coming up now and then. And with the german tune "Chicago" by "Cluseo" I heard on the radio this morning, where they also sing it with the "ch", I had the idea of "Ask(ing) GTPlanet!".

So what is the correct pronounciation of the name "Chicago", and why do only so few people know?

I always said Sh-kah-go.

I've never heard it as Ch-kah-go, even by Americans.
Must be a German thing. :D

I usually hear it as "Sh-car-go", thus it's the way I pronounce it. But I've never really known if this is correct or not.

I've only ever pronounced it with a Shh sound. But that could be that my name starts with a Ch that is pronouced with a Shh sound. But then I don't pronounce Chips, like ships so maybe that theory doesn't work :)

Wiki also says:

Chicago (pronounced /ʃɪˈkɑˌgoʊ/ or /ʃiˈkɔˌgoʊ/; shi-cah-go or shi-caw-go)

I'd go with the red one...

Definitely "Shi-Car-Go".

According to my friend Mr. Cholmondeley-Featherstonehaugh.

The people from Chicago that I've known (and I lived there myself for a while) all pronounce it with an "sh", not a "ch" sound.

Wiki also says:

Chicago (pronounced /ʃɪˈkɑˌgoʊ/ or /ʃiˈkɔˌgoʊ/; shi-cah-go or shi-caw-go)

I'd go with the red one...

From the dictionary-is-the-english-bible Mid West, and particularly Ohio, I can assure you you're correct. Shi-cah-go.

Or simply Cha (shah) as us GANGSTAS like to say.

I usually pronounce it kowld - with a hard k like kite.

I've also heard it pronounced sno-ee with a long o. Or even Da-mm'd Mi-ser-able

(for the record, yea, it's sh)

I usually pronounce it kowld - with a hard k like kite.

I've also heard it pronounced sno-ee with a long o. Or even Da-mm'd Mi-ser-able

(for the record, yea, it's sh)

come here during the summer, it gets really, really muggy

A lot of people butcher names they're not familiar with.

My Mom's from Spokane, Washington... and every time I hear Spokane spoken :lol: , it's usually spow-Kay-n (WRONG) instead of spow-kahn (RIGHT). Granted, you don't hear it said a lot (maybe once or twice a decade on the news or on shows...), but Gads, people, get it right!

Is there any one correct way of pronouncing it? You can't really expect guys from England to pronounce it the same way an American dictionary does, of even somebody from the South or Boston.

Is there any one correct way of pronouncing it? You can't really expect guys from England to pronounce it the same way an American dictionary does, of even somebody from the South or Boston.

Yes. It's an Indian word (or more precisely, a French bastardization of such), so you pronounce it like the Indians would... shi-cah-go. Confusion arises when you try to say it as an English speaker would... "Chih"-cah-gow... or Chih-Kay-Gow...

Sort of on topic.

What follows are the names of 3 towns/villages in Scotland. How would you pronounce them?

Milngavie.

Strathaven.

Kilncadzow.

The only time I've heared it pro nouced with a Ch at the start and not a sh is on one of Peter Kay's live DVD's. And that was part of a joke. I've never heared anyone seriously pronouce it with a ch instead of a sh.

Strathaven - Stray-ven, I've been there. The others without googling I'd prnounce them like they're written, which I know is wrong, but I'd get the more wrong trying my hand at Scottish.

Sort of on topic.

What follows are the names of 3 towns/villages in Scotland. How would you pronounce them?

Milngavie.

Strathaven.

Kilncadzow.

It'd help if the Scots could pronounce anything let alone where they live ;) ;)

* Are 2 safety winks enough?

Anyway, they wouldn't be as hard as pronouncing some of the Welsh villages.

What, you mean you really find llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch hard to pronounce.

EDIT, that name is all one word btw, it just exceeds the character limit for a word on here.

Back