Veyron Sighting Trumped? MC12 Spotted in Atlanta

• Thread starter 1X83Z
  • 72 comments

1X83Z

Premium
United States
usa
Remember when I saw Ralph Lauren and his Bugatti Veyron a few months ago? Well, depending on your view of things, I may have just outdone myself.

A few weeks ago a poster on FerrariChat noted that he had seen a Maserati MC12 at a house in a very nice neighborhood here in Atlanta. He mentioned a few details about the house and after a little detective work I was able to figure out which house the vehicle was parked at. I've driven by the house a few times since then hoping to catch a glimpse of the vehicle but I never have, unsurprisingly. I was starting to give up on the thing since the house is two or three miles outside my normal car spotting grounds - in fact I stopped driving by the house except on Saturdays because during the week rush hour made those two or three miles into a 20-30 minute ordeal. Today, being a Saturday, I drove by naturally expecting nothing, except the impossible happened - the MC12 was sitting in the driveway.

The house is set up so that a photo of the vehicle would've been difficult if not impossible from outside the gates. So I rang the bell to the house which is an intercom outside the driveway gates. I said I noticed the car from the road (true!) and asked if I could come inside to take one photograph. The person answering said abruptly "No", and I said "No?"; she said "No" and before I could even finish "Thanks anyway," she had hung up. Ugh.

So I drove away, a bit depressed. I understand the need for privacy and I was not mad, but just frustrated that this car was going to slip through my fingers. I got about a mile and a half away and my girlfriend (the same one present in the Veyron and recent Vanquish sightings) suggested I go back and try for some ridiculous photo just so I could have a momento of the MC12 spot. So I did. And upon returning to the house, this was the scene...

mc12-092907-24.jpg

He waved me by because he was having a little trouble getting the MC12 moving and so I did indeed pass, getting this photo through my mirror:

mc12-092907-23.jpg

I realized that I could not have him behind me, though, if I wanted any chance at a good side shot of the car so I pulled over and let him get by. I followed him, coincidentally, back through my normal way out of the area - no crazy stunts this time, no wild driving, no invasive following. I'm not sure if he even noticed me after he waved me by.

mc12-092907-22.jpg

mc12-092907-21.jpg

mc12-092907-20.jpg

We came up to a traffic light and I got a decent chance for some better shots...

mc12-092907-19.jpg

mc12-092907-18.jpg

...the woman in the Honda Accord (03-07) behind me asked the MC12's driver, who was busy with his cell phone, what it was; the MC12's driver was nice and replied that it was an MC12, one of fifty for the whole world. He's doing that in this shot:

mc12-092907-14.jpg

The vehicle stayed with me as I continued on my normal route to the major malls in Atlanta, providing for a few great photo ops:

mc12-092907-12.jpg

mc12-092907-10.jpg

mc12-092907-9.jpg

mc12-092907-7.jpg

mc12-092907-8.jpg

He eventually made a bizarre lane decision which allowed me to get ahead of him a bit and get some more interesting photos of the car:

mc12-092907-5.jpg

mc12-092907-4.jpg

From there I was able to go the opposite direction and take some of what I thought would be final photos of the MC12. What was really special about this photo is that I was sitting in traffic trying to get them, and a guy in a Acura TL Type-S noticed me photographing the car and noticed the MC12 and specifically held up his lane so I could get the photos. I waved to him as I drove off and he waved back. Car enthusiasts rock.

mc12-092907-3.jpg

I drove away, back to the malls where I usually photograph cars with a great story to tell. I heard an MC12! I saw an MC12! In America! The MC12 spotting wasn't over yet though - checking a mall valet stand where I see some decent cars from time to time yielded this scene...

mc12_murcielago-092907-2.jpg

Folks, if that's not directly out of Monaco, I don't know what the hell is.

So the basic rundown is this: the Maserati MC12 is one of fifty in the entire world, and one of around seven in the United States. Let's take a moment with that one: seven in the United States. He had temporary plates from Maserati of Atlanta that expire tomorrow - a Sunday, which means he'll be expired on Monday since the DMV is closed Sundays... hey, I would put off registration as long as I could too. Presuming a cost of $1.2 million, he's looking at $95,000 for his plates. Not fun at all.

The sound was incredible - one of the better engine notes I'd heard. And the thing really seemed like a race car. Not being street legal, the constraints most vehicles face - even cars like the Enzo - aren't present here and there are no safety bumpers and no exhaust limitations and it shows. It's raw. As for presence, it didn't have as much as I expected given how big I know it is and how expressively styled it is. That said, this is coming from someone who has seen 33 Ferrari 360s - it has been suggested that no car will ever have presence again in my mind. Maybe that's true; I do see a lot of exotics.

All in all, I still think the Lauren/Veyron spot is better, but at the end of the day the MC12 is indeed the less common vehicle, particularly as it's not road legal in the States. Before this sighting I saw a Maserati Coupe and a Quattroporte and passed up photographs. For various reasons, I've never been the biggest fan of Maserati. Let's just say that changed a little today.

I hope, once again, you enjoyed the story and the photos.

Wow! how awesome! man, you are lucky. I suppose you put the work in though, and that demands a reward... +rep!

Great work, that last shot is just the kind of thing i needed.... the Murcielago IS the better looking Italian supercar!

Sweet shot man, the only time I saw one of those was at a car show, lucky for you to see one in the wild!

Personally i don't know about the whole following him to take pictures thing (if i owned a Ferrari F50 i wouldn't want people tailing me to find out where i live or where i'm going) but i suppose it comes with the territory of owning a rare car. :)

Pretty awesome shots though (specifically the quality of them, what camera do you use?).

It certainly is a car to see in person. But Doug, that one is street legal. It went through a company up north to pass US inspection just like the one here in Dallas.

It certainly is a car to see in person. But Doug, that one is street legal. It went through a company up north to pass US inspection just like the one here in Dallas.

Is this the Michigan car?

SkylineObsession
Personally i don't know about the whole following him to take pictures thing

No following occurred. As stated: I followed him, coincidentally, back through my normal way out of the area - no crazy stunts this time, no wild driving, no invasive following. I'm not sure if he even noticed me after he waved me by.

Is this the Michigan car?

I wouldn't know. What I do know is that there is a fellow up north (he's been mentioned a few times when discussing MC12s in the states on FChat) who legalizes the MC12 (among various other cars) for the states. The process takes quite a while, and was a main reason the MC12 never appeared at ICF 2006.

He took the roof off? Awesome. The MC12 looks so much like the Ferrari F50. And so much better than the Enzo. Especially with the roof off.
M5Power
I'm not sure if he even noticed me after he waved me by.
Well, I doubt I could see out of the back of it either.

But I wonder: Have they built more than 50 Veyrons already?

Does this have the same exhaust as the FXX? I've heard those, and they shreak pretty nice.

I also heard a Lotus Sport Stage II exhaust on an Elise today - quite upsetting when not on the cams. Loud, but too low for my tastes.

Oh, bull. You were just trying to impress your girlfriend. Doug, you've already done that, let it go! Jeez!

Way to go Doug! What an awesome sighting. I once saw one here in Hong Kong but it was parked in the street a couple of shops down from a Maserati garage with dealer plates, so yours is waaaaaaaay more incredible. Again, amazing!!!

He took the roof off? Awesome. The MC12 looks so much like the Ferrari F50. And so much better than the Enzo. Especially with the roof off.
Which is why I love it even more. :D
Well, I doubt I could see out of the back of it either.
You couldn't if you tried. You'd have to lean at the window as there's no rear view. But you knew that. :)
I believe it's extremely close.

Aw damn – I was impressed that I saw a Spyker C8 yesterday.
Be glad. They're legal, but they're incredibly rare in the states. I only know of 3 silvers, 1 black, 1 yellow, and 1 orange. 3 of them are somehow here in Texas.

Does this have the same exhaust as the FXX? I've heard those, and they shreak pretty nice.
I wouldn't know, but you tell me. I don't think they are though.
1010982ik8.jpg

Doug, are you and I the only ones who have seen an MC12 in person?

Granted mine was at an Auto Show, but it did have a special guard, and came on order from Detroit I think... Could it have been the same one?

===

Maybe its because I haven't seen a Veyron yet, but I'd still consider that a better spot. Super-rare, super-fast, with Ralph Lauren behind the wheel? Yeah...

[/SIZE][/FONT]

They're above that figure.

YSSMAN
Maybe its because I haven't seen a Veyron yet, but I'd still consider that a better spot. Super-rare, super-fast, with Ralph Lauren behind the wheel? Yeah...

Agreed, though I'd rather a spot of each than two of either. I'm glad I've seen both vehicles. Now maybe I can see that Enzo sometime...?

EDIT: as for whether the MC12 is the same as yours, McLaren doesn't know and neither do I. The figure I've been given for US MC12s is seven - my guesses are two Texas, one Nevada, one Michigan, one Georgia. That's five, and that's assuming two Texas and that the Michigan and Georgia cars are not the same. So, who knows. That leaves between two and four missing MC12s out there. I'd bet it's not the same car.

If auto shows count then- you Doug, myself and thousands of other people.

Seeing an mc12 behind a velvet rope, and seeing one on the pavement, ain't the same ballpark, ain't the same league, ain't even the same sport!
jackson.gif

Well, it isn't as though MC12s just show up at every auto show in North America. But yes, I see the point...

I'm sure many have here. But for us state-side folks, I believe Doug is the only one whose seen it out on the roads. Now, I've never seen it at an auto show, but I have seen it twice at Boardwalk Ferrari which is better than an auto show (considering the car isn't technically for sale here legally), but not better than a road shot.
EDIT: as for whether the MC12 is the same as yours, McLaren doesn't know and neither do I. The figure I've been given for US MC12s is seven - my guesses are two Texas, one Nevada, one Michigan, one Georgia. That's five, and that's assuming two Texas and that the Michigan and Georgia cars are not the same. So, who knows. That leaves between two and four missing MC12s out there. I'd bet it's not the same car.

I don't know about the Michigan car, but I do know the Georgia car is not the same as the 2 Texans. 1 belongs to Ferrari of Dallas and one belongs to Ferrari of Houston a.k.a. Risi Competizione.

Aw damn – I was impressed that I saw a Spyker C8 yesterday.

and you should be!
Well, it isn't as though MC12s just show up at every auto show in North America. But yes, I see the point...

yours has the red centre locking wheel nut things :)

doug's spot had them blue, unless there's something im missing!

yours has the red centre locking wheel nut things :)

doug's spot had them blue, unless there's something im missing!

Red on the left, blue on the right, just like F1.

Well done on the Maser, Doug 👍

I don't know about the Michigan car, but I do know the Georgia car is not the same as the 2 Texans. 1 belongs to Ferrari of Dallas and one belongs to Ferrari of Houston a.k.a. Risi Competizione.

So...

2 Texas
1 Georgia (since end of August)
1 Nevada (for sale presently)
1 Oregon (ExoticSpotter)
1 recently delivered
1 Michigan

That covers it! The two Texas cars are in Texas, I saw the Georgia car today, the Nevada car is presently for sale and thus cannot be the Georgia car, the Oregon car is posted on ExoticSpotter a few times, the 'recently delivered' car has been photographed on F-chat, and the Michigan car is well-documented. The only issue is that the Michigan car could be separate, or either the Georgia car or the recently delivered car.

Meh. I saw an MC12.

EDIT: Hell, I've been checking. A dealer in California had one, and one's running around on New York dealer plates. No question there's seven in the States, but some of these are duplicates.

:eek: Damnnnn....Doug, you have outdone yourself once again. :bowdown: I mean first was the Veyron, now the MC12. Great shots none the less. With all that effort to get a photo of the car is just immense! I don't know how you do this for a living. You must be one of the luckiest photographer that i know of. Well i hope you do get even better photos in the future. Maybe even a Maybach Exellero? (or however you spelled it)

Back