2016 Verizon IndyCar SeriesOpen Wheel 

• Thread starter VNAF Ace
  • 8,011 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.

In summary then it looks like plans are afoot to radically reshape and reorganise the series altogether which stretchs far longer than simply asking someone in F1 for advice. Actually get someone in who can reshape and reorganise it. I am greatly encouraged by the plans outlined in the article. But the cornerstone has to be safety and that means aerodynamic changes.

The rumor is that Kanaan will move over to the Target 10 car replacing Dario and Briscoe will take the 4th Ganassi NTN Data car.

The rumor is that Kanaan will move over to the Target 10 car replacing Dario and Briscoe will take the 4th Ganassi NTN Data car.

Honestly, at this point my money is on either Ryan Briscoe or Alex Tagliani getting the #10 TCGR ride; While Kanaan moving to that team would make marketing sense (What with him being the reigning Indy 500 Winner and all), I don't think his mostly-Brazillian sponsors would want to share add space with Target and all of their asscotiate sponsors... I could be wrong though.

Good to see Briscoe in a top seat again. 👍

He's kind of come full circle, I believe he started his Indy Car career with CGR.

I noticed NBC Sports Network in my channel lineup this weekend. I may be able to check out more races in the IndyCar Series this upcoming season. Hoping I am not getting NBC Sports Network just because the 2014 Sochi Winter Games are coming up. I want some gosh-darned IndyCar Series racing!

I noticed NBC Sports Network in my channel lineup this weekend. I may be able to check out more races in the IndyCar Series this upcoming season. Hoping I am not getting NBC Sports Network just because the 2014 Sochi Winter Games are coming up. I want some gosh-darned IndyCar Series racing!

Great to hear. Shame you didn't find it earlier, you would have seen some of the best coverage American coverage of the Dakar Rally in a longtime. Don't forget that you'll also get some quality F1 coverage (along with some ARCA racing) so basically, your in for some awesome motorsports coverage and may even find some new sports to be interested in (as I did last year with the Tour De France).

Oh, trust me, RACECAR... with the sacrifice... I mean, demise of Speed Channel, this is great to see racing this season on NBC Sports Network. I hope to properly be able to follow the IndyCar Series again after so long.

I can't really gauge if the DW12 cars are really better than the previous car. I was at the Houston Auto Show two weeks ago and saw one of the DW12 models- Takuma Sato's #14 car, in fact. Since I haven't been able to see too much IndyCar Series action on any network besides ESPN/ABC, I haven't been able to really see if these cars have been a real evolution from the previous car. What do you all think heading into the 2014 season?

Honestly, the racing on the ovals has improved massively now that the cars aren't as easy to drive and now drivers having to back off the gas to make the turns.

Honestly, the racing on the ovals has improved massively now that the cars aren't as easy to drive and now drivers having to back off the gas to make the turns.
Anything that makes the driver more important is a plus in my books. Let the wheelmen earn their paycheck! I like the new car more and more the longer I watch it. If only they'd swap the likes of Baltimore, Houston, and Belle Isle for some better road courses. I'd love to see them back at Laguna Seca again

Anything that makes the driver more important is a plus in my books. Let the wheelmen earn their paycheck! I like the new car more and more the longer I watch it. If only they'd swap the likes of Baltimore, Houston, and Belle Isle for some better road courses. I'd love to see them back at Laguna Seca again

Baltimore is as good as gone so its a start. Still wished Portland was on any series schedule at this point as I really miss that track.

I think Portland's problem is more about certain environmental issues rather than people being too wimpy to return to Portland. Otherwise, nothing wrong with that track. It's been a staple of Indy and Champ Car racing for decades.

Baltimore is as good as gone so its a start. Still wished Portland was on any series schedule at this point as I really miss that track.
The Indy road addition to the 500 is a great, original idea to me as well. A track I want back is Mont-Tremblant. Portland would be cool too

Oh, I LOVE Circuit Mont-Tremblant! I think it was 2003 or so when I was first introduced to this Canadian track when the Rolex Sportscar Series raced it. It is a technical course in a beautiful setting. As for the Indy road course addition, our own RACECAR vehemently disapproved of this race. One other person mentioned this Indy road race as adding to the allure of racing around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. I actually don't mind that race myself. I love the Indy 500, but I think the Indy road course race will be equally fascinating. Some of the drivers will actually have a little experience around Indy's road course when that race happens.

I was hugely against it, mostly because I didn't see what good it would do as well as the fact no one really watches Indy unless its for the 500 (or the Moto GP race) and from what I hear, people sort've hate the Indy Road course. I've sorta backed off since the dislike for it is only felt by me, but I'm still not convinced this'll be the "boost" the 500 needs.

Oh, I LOVE Circuit Mont-Tremblant! I think it was 2003 or so when I was first introduced to this Canadian track when the Rolex Sportscar Series raced it. It is a technical course in a beautiful setting. As for the Indy road course addition, our own RACECAR vehemently disapproved of this race. One other person mentioned this Indy road race as adding to the allure of racing around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. I actually don't mind that race myself. I love the Indy 500, but I think the Indy road course race will be equally fascinating. Some of the drivers will actually have a little experience around Indy's road course when that race happens.
That was when I first saw Mont Tremblant was when the Rolex series raced there. It's a great track, but it needs a nicer facility if I remember right, to get some series out there.

As for the Indy race, IndyCar has to do something to grow the sport. It has lost IZOD which doesn't bode very well at all for the series. It's in a lot worse shape than it appears. I'd much rather have Indy road than Baltimore, Belle Isle, and Houston. If IndyCar can inform enough people when the show is coming to town, they'll have a big crowd regardless of where they are.

The problem with Mont-Tremblant is that it's located in the absolute middle of nowhere. 20ft tall pines and mountains make for a nice view, but it's next to a little touristic suburban village, and there aren't any major cities within an hour's drive.

Plus, aside Toronto, pretty much every Indycar race in Canada has been somewhat of a failure. Edmonton was fairly boring, Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve obviously attracted a lot of F1 comparisons but didn't produce the same excitement. Vancouver was interesting, but about 6 fans showed up yearly.

The problem with Mont-Tremblant is that it's located in the absolute middle of nowhere. 20ft tall pines and mountains make for a nice view, but it's next to a little touristic suburban village, and there aren't any major cities within an hour's drive.

Plus, aside Toronto, pretty much every Indycar race in Canada has been somewhat of a failure. Edmonton was fairly boring, Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve obviously attracted a lot of F1 comparisons but didn't produce the same excitement. Vancouver was interesting, but about 6 fans showed up yearly.
Mont Tremblant and VIR are both that way minus the nice view for VIR. From what I've been told in the Grand am and ALMS paddocks is that when it's marketed correctly, people come out in droves to VIR. Nothing major has raced MT in a while, so I don't know how if it would take longer to get people there or not

In case you need a little look into the future, here's the 2014 schedule (source: IndyCar Series' website):

Mar. 30: St. Petersburg (in Florida, not Russia)
Apr. 13: Long Beach
Apr. 27: Barber Motorsports Park
May 10: Indianapolis Motor Speedway (Road Course)
May 25: Indianapolis Motor Speedway (Indy 500)
May 31 and June 1: Detroit
June 7: Texas Motor Speedway
June 28 and June 29: Houston
July 6: Pocono
July 12: Iowa Speedway
July 19 and July 20: Toronto
Aug. 3: Mid-Ohio
Aug. 17: Milwaukee Mile
Aug. 24: Sonoma Raceway
Aug. 30: Auto Club Speedway (which I've always known as California Speedway)

I still don't think IndyCar needs to end their season so early just to avoid competing with gridiron football (college and NFL). But, that's the 18-race 2014 schedule.

Hey Penske!

BgdJ3oKCIAEEcgb.jpg:large

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back