2016 Verizon IndyCar SeriesOpen Wheel 

• Thread starter VNAF Ace
  • 8,011 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Typical ABC/ESPN coverage. Do as little post-race as possible.

Do as many interviews/flashbacks to previous races/adverts as possible. Despite watching the whole race last night, the thing was besieged by adverts. Really took the enjoyment out and made me question the decision to stay up to 4am.

Doesn't matter though. I can always watch the Indy at St. Petersburg next year and I'll probably see more of this race during next years.

Rumor(?): Circuit of the America's is in talks with IRL for adding the series to the schedule for 2013.

It was from the guy who covers Indy for Speed's Wind tunnel show who knows where he got the info but he also added it would be hosted by Sprint.

I didn't get to see all of the race, sadly. Good for Helio Castroneves to win. I won't get to see many of the races since I don't get NBC Sports Network (formerly Versus). It had to be very emotional with Holly Wheldon waving the flag as well as Helio climbing up to the Dan Wheldon Way sign.

One down, 15(?) to go. VERY far from declaring any champion. Bring on the beautiful and challenging Barber Motorsports Park!

JohnBM01
I didn't get to see all of the race, sadly. Good for Helio Castroneves to win. I won't get to see many of the races since I don't get NBC Sports Network (formerly Versus). It had to be very emotional with Holly Wheldon waving the flag as well as Helio climbing up to the Dan Wheldon Way sign.

One down, 15(?) to go. VERY far from declaring any champion. Bring on the beautiful and challenging Barber Motorsports Park!

It's ABC.

It's ABC.

No, Indycar's races are being broadcasted on two networks and as Justin pointed out, he means he won't get to see the majority of the races because his provider does not carry the channel that used to be VERSUS (Now called NBC Sports Network).

Yeah. Thanks for the clarifying, RACECAR and others. With the new cars, I kind of like the roar of the engines; but they are VERY far from the good old Champ Car roar like when I got into racing in 1999. That was just sweet music (then) CART cars offered. It was still sweet to hear the newer... is it 2.6-liter V6 turbo engines?

So after one race, how do you like the newer DW12 Indy cars compared to the previous models? You know... their performance, their aerodynamics, their speed, etc.?

They're starting to grow on me to be honest. Part of me thinks if they remove that rear portion after the wheels, it looks more liek a proper open wheel car but at the same time its not a big deal to me. And I do like the sound of the engines quite alot, a very nice change from the Hondas we've heard all these years.

RACECAR
They're starting to grow on me to be honest. Part of me thinks if they remove that rear portion after the wheels, it looks more liek a proper open wheel car but at the same time its not a big deal to me. And I do like the sound of the engines quite alot, a very nice change from the Hondas we've heard all these years.

At the least only use it on Ovals.

They need to keep it on all tracks. If the old car had them, Castroneves and Kanaan wouldn't have had that incident in practice for the Baltimore GP where the one had brake failure and went flying over the other. Can't remember which one was the one who went flying due to brake issues.

GTPorsche
They need to keep it on all tracks. If the old car had them, Castroneves and Kanaan wouldn't have had that incident in practice for the Baltimore GP where the one had brake failure and went flying over the other. Can't remember which one was the one who went flying due to brake issues.

Kanaan flew over Castroneves.

Agreed that they should keep it. I hate all of the "It's not true open wheel racing blah blah blah".

Will Power is just out of this world on street tracks. Despite finishing back in 7th he was the only guy to pace a sub 1:03 lap in the race.

Houston is set for October '13.

Houston%20course.png

Link

So after one race, how do you like the newer DW12 Indy cars compared to the previous models? You know... their performance, their aerodynamics, their speed, etc.?

Speedwise, they're still about a second off where I'd like them to be.

The look of the car is growing on me. The bodywork behind the rear of the tires makes them look futuristic. And if it can prevent cars from launching, it may be a safety innovation that makes its way to open wheel series across the world

St Petersburg was my first race and trying to get into the series with it being shown on Sky Sports F1.

Whilst watching though, although the car is brand new the technology seems way behind any other single seat series? They were talking about the paddle clutches an awful lot and the new brakes etc. Why has it taken so long for it to catch up?

Hoping that Rubens can do well and fight for podiums later in the year.

St Petersburg was my first race and trying to get into the series with it being shown on Sky Sports F1.

Whilst watching though, although the car is brand new the technology seems way behind any other single seat series? They were talking about the paddle clutches an awful lot and the new brakes etc. Why has it taken so long for it to catch up?

Hoping that Rubens can do well and fight for podiums later in the year.

The march of technology in Formula 1 comes at a high cost. A mid tier Formula 1 team probably has the budget of the entire Indycar grid.

In Indycar's prime the cars were only two or three years behind Formula 1 in terms of technology.

But now, because of the split in 1996 that severely damaged the series, technological advancement has become very slow. In fact, the entire field raced the same car, Dallara/Honda, for the past few years.

Ugh, those announcers are so bad. :yuck:

Speedwise, they're still about a second off where I'd like them to be.

The look of the car is growing on me. The bodywork behind the rear of the tires makes them look futuristic. And if it can prevent cars from launching, it may be a safety innovation that makes its way to open wheel series across the world

I like the look. From the back they have an LMS kind of style going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back