2016 Verizon IndyCar SeriesOpen Wheel 

• Thread starter VNAF Ace
  • 8,011 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
4152e55b.jpg

What??? Indy Car game store?

How about another oval instead of these boring, randomly thrown together street circuits?

Wish they would run on open courses where they aren't imprisoned in walls and fences too. Would make for more overtaking.

How about another oval instead of these boring, randomly thrown together street circuits?

While I agree that alot of these street circuits need to go, How about more fans attend the Oval races in the first place?

Kinda hate the argument that the series needs more ovals and yet when they do get them, nobody attends them.

I think IndyCar really needs a balance between ovals, street circuits and permanent road courses. There's 16 races on the calendar at the moment; if they expanded it out to 18, then they could have six ovals, six street circuits and six road courses.

St Petersburg was my first race and trying to get into the series with it being shown on Sky Sports F1.

Whilst watching though, although the car is brand new the technology seems way behind any other single seat series? They were talking about the paddle clutches an awful lot and the new brakes etc. Why has it taken so long for it to catch up?

Hoping that Rubens can do well and fight for podiums later in the year.
As Earth said, the IndyCar split between CART/CC and IRL from 1996 - 2007 caused great damage to IndyCar racing. But thankfully, after reunification in 2008, IndyCar is slowly rebuilding what was destroyed. Increased attendence and TV ratings, the return of manufacturer competition, and an improved driver lineup featuring some the best drivers from American and European open wheel racing series are very good signs for the future of IndyCar.

But there is one major advancement that IndyCar embraced, but F1 banned in the 1980s: Ground effect. Since the 1980s, F1 cars have been built with flat undertrays, while IndyCars have been built with scuplted undertrays. As a result, IndyCars are built with smaller wings and cleaner aerodynamics. That also allows IndyCar drivers to race closer since an IndyCar's wings don't generate as much turbulence as a F1 car's larger wings and winglets. Ground effect also allows IndyCar to race on ovals at speeds of over 230 MPH without the drag penalty of larger wings and winglets.

Last edited:
Now, I am a Houston native, so I can confidently speak on the two Houston courses. I think the course around Reliant Park is better and flows better. I even have the Reliant Park track as part of my collection of rFactor tracks. The track back in 1998-2001(?) was mostly a stop-and-go deal even though you do get a great view of downtown Houston. I like the course you came up with, prisonermonkeys. I don't know too many parts of Houston that would be great to have racing come around again. If anything, maybe Motorsport Ranch Houston down in Angleton can be sufficiently upgraded to where there can be a permanent course worthy of hosting big-name racing events. At least, in trying to get the Houston area involved without having to shift everything over to Circuit of the Americas (not that I'm knocking CotA).

I'll miss out on seeing the IndyCar race around beautiful Barber Motorsports Park. So I'm sure I'll have to follow on Twitter, Facebook, and stuff like that. Or just watch Speed Center or something.

It's a shame, because Houston has a lot of potential. Unlike a lot of American cities, it's not built exclusively on a grid pattern. And so, with a little bit of imagination, you get this:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5379249

Although it's probably too long for Indycar.

I like the look of it but take a look at all the places next to it that are inappropriate to be next to a race track....

A zoo, hospitals, medical centres and a "reflection pool".

Cracking race so far though and that 3 car pass by Hunter-Reay was awesome.

For a race that everyone expected to be boring with no passing, I actually found it quite entertaining. However, the race was ultimately won and lost in the pits. Also, glad to see Rubens get a top ten (8th).

Hinchcliffe got a top 10! Yay :) Glad to see Franchitti move into the top ten. Great race even though I only caught the last half hour.

Houston is set for October '13.

Houston%20course.png

Link

Oh cool. I'll be sure to go to the race. Sad to see that they recycled the Reliant Park parking lot circuit from when Champ Car went there. As PM said, Houston has a lot of potential to put on a great street circuit layout. I guess they went with reusing Reliant Park, since they know from experience that it's cheap and easy to set up and put on. Would've been cool if they did the downtown layout again. At least that one had the benefit of being downtown. Downtown was cool especially since the paddock was inside the George R. Brown Convention Center. But it's nice to see Houston get some kind of racing again. I'm surprised Indy Car didn't choose to go with COTA.

There are rumors that they may have 3 Texas races next year so it a possibility still.

Link

Oh wow, three races here, huh. I guess if you're an Indycar fan in the Lone Star State, you're probably feeling pretty happy now. A few friends and I are actually planning on attending the race this year at TMS. I've never been to an Indy race before. I wonder if they'll use the full layout, or they'll use a shorter version.

I don't think they'll be going to CotA. Bernie Ecclestone probably has some kind of provision in their contract that gives Formula 1 the exclusive rights to race there.

I don't think they'll be going to CotA. Bernie Ecclestone probably has some kind of provision in their contract that gives Formula 1 the exclusive rights to race there.

From the link I posted(I'm nice and won't make you find phantom links).

AUSTIN: Formula One is making its debut on the 3.4-mile road course in November but Bernard says, "They approached us about having a race next year and we’re evaluating it.’’ Is Texas big enough for an oval (Texas Motor Speedway), a street race (Houston) and a road race (Austin)?

Why would they approach IndyCar if they couldn't hold a race?

Have you been following the development of the circuit? There was a stop-work order issued late last year when Bernie Ecclestone found that the promoters were in breach of their contract, and so revoked it. They managed to get everything back online, but it is known that the terms of the contract have changed. Before the stop-work order, the circuit was planned to host MotoGP and V8 Supercars in addition to Formula 1. But ever since work resumed, there has been doubt over the contract with MotoGP; the FIM president says he doesn't have a deal with them. V8 Supercars have also asked about their contract, but the organisers never got back to them.

With all that wrangling over the future of the circuit and doubt about whether planned events can actually go ahead, it wouldn't surprise me if the organisers contacted Indycar - despite knowing that they could never host the series - in order to get some positive publicity going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back