2024 Subaru Impreza (6th gen)

I wouldn't call them ugly, just not notable. If the car was good, the looks wouldn't prevent me from buying it; versus something like the bmw 4 series or the 2 series contraption, which would require some heavy thinking and reflection.

Last edited:
I would call them ugly, just not notable. If the car was good, the looks wouldn't prevent me from buying it; versus something like the bmw 4 series or the 2 series contraption, which would require some heavy thinking and reflection.
I think not notable was Subaru circa 2021. Every single new model they've released since then has been notably worse than it's predecessor. The WRX, Legacy, Crosstrek, Impreza - they are all hideous, in my opinion, inside and out. The Forester and Outback look ok, but they have yet to receive the new corporate language...and I'm not optimistic they'll be an improvement when they do.

We're a very long way from the understated, almost German handsomeness of Subaru from the mid-90s through 4th-gen legacy, which I think was the last truly attractive Subaru.

I think not notable was Subaru circa 2021. Every single new model they've released since then has been notably worse than it's predecessor. The WRX, Legacy, Crosstrek, Impreza - they are all hideous, in my opinion, inside and out. The Forester and Outback look ok, but they have yet to receive the new corporate language...and I'm not optimistic they'll be an improvement when they do.

We're a very long way from the understated, almost German handsomeness of Subaru from the mid-90s through 4th-gen legacy, which I think was the last truly attractive Subaru.
I think there's a strong parallel between Subaru and Volkswagen, both brands I have criticized for becoming very uninspiring as of late. Both always had a somewhat niche, left-of-center presence in the US- Subarus tended to appeal to the outdoorsy and educated types while VWs were for someone that wanted a sophisticated car but not spend a hefty price tag. But both brands, around when you mention during the era of the 4th gen Legacy, strove for mass appeal more greatly. Take the US-only 2011 Passat and the 2008 Forester switching from a tall wagon to a full-fledged SUV. Both cars are arguably more "boring" than their predecessor, yet sold in much larger numbers. But now, we’re at a point where neither brand offers something truly invigorating, given the discontinuation of the STI and CVT only Impreza now, as well as the Golf's impending death, yet Subaru’s and VW’s sales still don’t rival brands like Honda or Toyota.

I think there's a strong parallel between Subaru and Volkswagen, both brands I have criticized for becoming very uninspiring as of late. Both always had a somewhat niche, left-of-center presence in the US- Subarus tended to appeal to the outdoorsy and educated types while VWs were for someone that wanted a sophisticated car but not spend a hefty price tag. But both brands, around when you mention during the era of the 4th gen Legacy, strove for mass appeal more greatly. Take the US-only 2011 Passat and the 2008 Forester switching from a tall wagon to a full-fledged SUV. Both cars are arguably more "boring" than their predecessor, yet sold in much larger numbers. But now, we’re at a point where neither brand offers something truly invigorating, given the discontinuation of the STI and CVT only Impreza now, as well as the Golf's impending death, yet Subaru’s and VW’s sales still don’t rival brands like Honda or Toyota.
Subaru is a fairly popular brand here in northern, Coastal CA. I see a good amount of Foresters and Outbacks and a ton of Crosstreks. The other models have kind of faded away. I don't remember the last time I saw a new Impreza or Legacy or Ascent. Their "volume" models have basically no USP over competitors, at least not in a place where a true daily driver doesn't need AWD*. Their off-road oriented stuff still has some USP and I will be interested to see if the styling and interior ergonomic updates impact their sales. The new Crosstrek has not gone on sale yet. When I was looking at Foresters and Outbacks, even the salesguy at the dealership lamented the dominant center screen in the Outback, saying he thought it was a poor choice. What bothers me more is that they just look bad.

*What I mean by this is that nobody living in Coastal CA needs AWD. They get AWD vehicles because they have aspirations of getting up into the mountains in the winter or out to the more remote parts of the state for outdoorsy stuff. Subaru's off-roady vehicles offer this without too much compromise for normal use, unlike something like a 4Runner which has a harsher ride and poor fuel economy. The more pedestrian Subaru's make more sense in places like New England where a normal car with AWD is actually useful in the winter - there is a legitimate, compelling reason for getting an Impreza over a Honda Civic there. In California, there may be a legitimate, compelling reason to get a Crosstrek over a Civic, but not an Impreza over a Civic.

Edit: I guess you could summarize my post with this: Subaru, at least in some markets, has become increasingly dependent on it's niche/lifestyle offerings to keep the lights on. I wonder if this strategy will continue working - to be fair they don't have all that much competition in their little niche. Mazda could start crowding them though if the CX-50 is a success.

Last edited:
Edit: I guess you could summarize my post with this: Subaru, at least in some markets, has become increasingly dependent on it's niche/lifestyle offerings to keep the lights on. I wonder if this strategy will continue working - to be fair they don't have all that much competition in their little niche. Mazda could start crowding them though if the CX-50 is a success.
I totally agree with this. Take a look at Vermont for example, where Subarus are everywhere. While the top selling car in each state (besides the F-150) is either a CR-V or RAV4, VT is the only one where it's a Subaru (the Crosstrek). Subaru has cemented itself so well into New England- but especially Vermont- that it's almost second nature that you're going to buy one if you need a new but cheap car. Even new, low $20k Imprezas with steelies are common up there. Additionally, owning a Subaru is both a cultural and political statement, and buyers are aware of it- if you buy a Subaru, you're subtly signaling your appreciation for the outdoors, that you're educated and open minded, and liberal. How often do you see Republicans or southerners driving Subarus? I saw almost zero during the time I spent in Alabama. It's the same thing as suburbanites who opt for a lifted Ram when all they really need is a Grand Cherokee- there is a covert political reasoning behind this decision, and why you would think a lifted truck or Subaru is cool to begin with.

Last edited:
I totally agree with this. Take a look at Vermont for example, where Subarus are everywhere. While the top selling car in each state (besides the F-150) is either a CR-V or RAV4, VT is the only one where it's a Subaru (the Crosstrek). Subaru has cemented itself so well into New England- but especially Vermont- that it's almost second nature that you're going to buy one if you need a new but cheap car. Even new, low $20k Imprezas with steelies are common up there. Additionally, owning a Subaru is both a cultural and political statement, and buyers are aware of it- if you buy a Subaru, you're subtly signaling your appreciation for the outdoors, that you're educated and open minded, and liberal. How often do you see Republicans or southerners driving Subarus? I saw almost zero during the time I spent in Alabama. It's the same thing as suburbanites who opt for a lifted Ram when all they really need is a Grand Cherokee- there is a covert political reasoning behind this decision, and why you would think a lifted truck or Subaru is cool to begin with.
Entirely correct except for the WRX and, to a lesser extent, the BRZ. WRX owners are a pretty mixed bag, politically...possibly even majority right leaning. Regardless, I doubt you'll find any Trump-winning districts (2020 election) with Subaru dealerships in them - it's probably an even stronger leading indicator of political geography than Panera breads.

Crosstrek Wilderness

2024-subaru-crosstrek-wilderness-exterior.jpg

2024-subaru-crosstrek-wilderness-interior.jpg

the Crosstrek Wilderness gets unique suspension components, revised bodywork with extra cladding to resist damage, and all-terrain tires that give it more grip in dirt and snow. That’s in addition to the standard Crosstrek’s already excellent torque-vectoring all-wheel drive and X-Mode off-road driving feature. And with a standard 2.5-liter flat-four (shared with the Crosstrek Sport and Limited trims), the Wilderness has class-competitive power to help it get over tough terrain.

With more robust Yokohama Geolandar all-terrain rubber and matte-black 17-inch wheels at all four corners, the Crosstrek Wilderness promises yet more traction for tough obstacles.

Getting over those challenges will be the work of a revised suspension with taller springs and shocks. Boasting 9.2 inches of ground clearance (compared to 8.6 on the regular Crosstrek), the new suspension also has better articulation for improved traction. The Wilderness model compares very favorably to the Ford Bronco Sport and its available 8.8 inches of clearance, as well as the 8.6 inches from the Jeep Compass Trailhawk – in fact, even the regular Crosstrek stands up to its rivals pretty decently in that regard. Relative to its sibling, the Wilderness also gets sharper approach, breakover, and departure angles.

Mated to that standard CVT is a 2.5-liter flat-four. Shared with the Sport and Limited trims, the engine makes an adequate 182 horsepower and 176 pound-feet of torque, which is better than the 152 hp and 145 lb-ft from the 2.0-liter found in the base and Premium.

An added transmission cooler, however, gives the Crosstrek Wilderness a towing capacity of 3,500 pounds, compared to the 2,000 pounds from other trims, so at least the CVT has some added protection when it’s time to mount up.

Th 2024 Subaru Crosstrek Wilderness starts at $33,290 including $1,295 for destination and delivery. The only option is a $2,270 package that bundles a sunroof, a power driver’s seat, and a 10-speaker Harman Kardon audio system, so a hard-loaded example will cost $35,550 all in.

Is the regular Crosstrek not SUV enough? Does it really need to be even taller and more rugged? Heavens.
No and yes.

You're seriously underestimating the market for lifting and off-roading everything much less Subarus. And the fact is that Subaru doesn't even have anything that can compete with a Bronco Sport, much less a 4Runner. The two biggest things that define capability are tires and clearance, and the normal Crosstrek comes with all-season tires that are easily punctured on a basic rocky trail.

But despite changing gear ratios, Subaru still hasn't gone far enough. Their Achilles heel is that damned CVT. They just can't pump enough torque through it on steep inclines without destroying itself so honestly even this thing will be outgunned by a Bronco Sport or Compass Trailhawk when the going gets actually tough. Their torque converter autos are way tougher and put down all the available power.

It should come with those tree shadows as standard. You’d want it to blend in with the scenery, as much as possible.

No and yes.

You're seriously underestimating the market for lifting and off-roading everything much less Subarus. And the fact is that Subaru doesn't even have anything that can compete with a Bronco Sport, much less a 4Runner. The two biggest things that define capability are tires and clearance, and the normal Crosstrek comes with all-season tires that are easily punctured on a basic rocky trail.

But despite changing gear ratios, Subaru still hasn't gone far enough. Their Achilles heel is that damned CVT. They just can't pump enough torque through it on steep inclines without destroying itself so honestly even this thing will be outgunned by a Bronco Sport or Compass Trailhawk when the going gets actually tough. Their torque converter autos are way tougher and put down all the available power.
I don't think anyone would seriously buy a Subaru to tackle the type of terrain it's CVT can't handle. The Crosstrek is a great car to have if you mostly drive around town and occasionally drive off onto some dirt roads for camping.* I think they'll sell a bunch of these wilderness editions because it's basically the same thing, but more offroady looking

*I rented a Crosstrek to go camping last year and really appreciated its ground clearance and relative ease of handling terrible pavement/dirt while still driving largely like a car.

The cladding is just... all over the place, I think it's the single worst part of it. It's like someone looked at an Aztek and thought to themselves "how could we make this thing even uglier"

Impreza RS review

The clown music at the start of the video says it all. I think this is one of the most negative reviews I've ever seen from them.

The car itself is fine, but when Subaru gave it the RS badge, you get the completely wrong expectations for it. It's good that Mazda didn't give the Mazda3 Turbo a Mazdaspeed badge

Every Subaru car is a car these days. Certified cars. The Wilderness trims are interesting and frankly I don't mind how ugly they are although I do strongly believe they spent too much money on aggressive looks and not enough on actual capability. Ford actually did improve the physical capability of the Maverick for example, and did it without trying to look badass. Also, Subaru offers some nifty colors for it.

RRI_UAT_360e_032

I'm okay with Subaru going more hardcore off-roady but their core formula is still miserable. The CVT has got to go, it's tired and hopeless and literally not competitive off-road compared to the competition. That same hardware translates to miserable "sporty" versions like this RS which is a complete embarassment to the badge. The engineering team is designing miserable hardware, the design team is either excessively bland or excessively ugly with no in between, and the marketing team is still pushing the same heritage and capability they always have despite the vehicles not actually offering as much of either as their modern competition.

They've gone from pioneering to desperate through lack of actually innovation and horrible long-term engineering choices.

Subaru has been coasting for like 10 years now. Maybe harsh criticism is what they need. I like the brand but maaaaan.
Yup. Whoever is in charge is kind of a moron with no vision or passion. That ain’t it.

Back