2016 Ford Focus RS (Price starts at £28,940/US$35,730)

• Thread starter GTboyz
  • 252 comments
Indonesia
Jakarta
2015_ford_focus_st_focus_rs_spy_photos_01_1-0304-mc:1010x738.jpg

2015_ford_focus_st_focus_rs_spy_photos_02-0304-mc:1010x738.jpg

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/58345/2015-ford-focus-rs-spied

I don't know about this one, still doubt this is the real model though it looks like a clay design like the website said. The face reminds me of Evo X a bit.

Well I heard that a RS wasn't on the plans for this gen of Focus.
Yeah, heard they're sticking to the ST model. Good to know RS will be around.

I have just found out that RS never came to America. Hope this one will reach the US. Good market to compete with STi and Evo.

They're the same segment but yet they're not because the Focus is FWD. I'm still with a foot back because I don't think there will be a RS actually since they pulled off rallying with the Focus.

It's really shame that Ford didn't make it AWD because they said it will make the car heavy. It's a bit meh since subaru is able to do that with a hatchback impreza. VW got their Golf R and R400 (awesome car) AWD and why can't ford do that.

It's really shame that Ford didn't make it AWD because they said it will make the car heavy. It's a bit meh since subaru is able to do that with a hatchback impreza. VW got their Golf R and R400 (awesome car) AWD and why can't ford do that.

I think it might be due to a brand new AWD system being expensive to develop and engineer from the ground up for a hatchback. VW has had years to refine it's 4Motion system for their hottest Golfs.

I have just found out that RS never came to America. Hope this one will reach the US. Good market to compete with STi and Evo.

The RS can't touch them. The magazine tested it against the STI and Evo X and, while pretty damn fast for a FWD, there was no comparison. I remember chatting to the dude that did the driving and he was saying that he had to kill himself in the Focus to keep the pace of the others in hard driving. Lap times weren't that far away, but the 4WD cars were so much more composed. When he really pushed them, there really was no contest.

Agreed. Despite me not being too bothered over the fact that the Ford Focus RS is a FF car, I do wish Ford could at least make this one a AWD like the Subaru Impreza...

Really a shame that they're not going all out with this gen. of the Focus, considering that its the best one yet, IMO.

Regarding the AWD vs FWD thing, I do agree the RS should be AWD. The current Focus ST is already on a similar level in terms of performance with the hottest FWD hatches like the Megane RS, so a Focus RS with close to 300hp would be a bit in a league of its own, which isn't a bad thing (especially if Ford do it right) but they could greatly expand the appeal of the car if they give it AWD and take it up against the STi and EVO.

I think that this generation of RS would have to match the 'super' hot hatches that have risen from the German marques as of late. Two (soon to be three?) of them have got 4WD, the other is the M135i. So sticking FWD at that level would be impossible.

But they can't just stick it at the level of, say, the Astra VXR which is more powerful - because it's fairly rivalled by the ST anyway. Maybe it should be seen what level the next Megane RS is at (probably Civic Type R level) and go for that...but would the difference be great enough to notice?

The ST is a strong car as it is, but the RS has to have sufficient power over it. Or otherwise it's not worth having one or the other.

The ST is a strong car as it is, but the RS has to have sufficient power over it. Or otherwise it's not worth having one or the other.

Yup. As usual, if you don't mind the model-exclusive bits, the ST can be brought up to RS-power levels with pratically a tune up. It's not a cheap car to modify at all, but you'll still be there and beyond for way less than what the RS costs over the ST.

I think it might be due to a brand new AWD system being expensive to develop and engineer from the ground up for a hatchback. VW has had years to refine it's 4Motion system for their hottest Golfs.
Ford is no stranger to AWD tech and development. Almost every vehicle offered by Ford right now has an AWD option, except for the Focus, Fiesta, and Mustang. I doubt it would take that much time and energy to adapt an AWD system from the Fusion for the Focus, and knowing Ford, they then would offer it as an option for all Focus'. But I do think you're correct in that it's about money, and knowing Ford they would pass the cost of development on which would make an already pricey hot hatch even more expensive, maybe pushing it into V8 Mustang territory. Despite the fact that some people would still buy an AWD Focus that costs Mustang V8 amounts of money, it would drastically reduce sales.

IMO the RS should be AWD. Besides the fact I've wanted Ford to make an AWD Focus forever, RS stands for Rally Sport. It should embody the rally car. Except now the rally car is the Fiesta, so I'm holding out for the Fiesta RS to replace my ST.

Ah the Auto News section, if it had a motto it would be "Some maybe credible guy kinda hinted that something is going to happen."

The car in OP looks like something a FnF shop whipped up over a weekend.
Is there any confirmation that this is more than just some shop's kitted up focus?

Well looks nice but never been a fan of the MK3 and newer Focus.

And what fool at Ford thought it was a good idea to delay it due to the European launch of the Mustang??

The Mustang will not sell as good as a Focus RS or a ST does in Europe (as the British and Europeans like Fast Fords based on normal cars like the Focus but nicely tuned with the ability to give a Ferrari or a Porsche a hard time. That's why we like them and the price of them as well, we don't want a high production sports car that was designed for America in mind and not the rest of the world like the Mustang as it won't work.) and I don't see why Ford are wasting their time with trying to launch and sell the Mustang in Europe as only about 3 people will buy it.

If anyone from Ford Europe is reading this, make the Focus RS 4WD not FWD.

Apparently this thing is back on track. Some hints dropped by Ford execs imply that it might be launched after the new Mustang as cemented its spot on market or something.

Apparently this thing is back on track. Some hints dropped by Ford execs imply that it might be launched after the new Mustang as cemented its spot on market or something.
interesting.... though the whole Dart SRT4 getting AWD puts me off this car.

Yeah but the Evo is done for really, so the only competition and reason to bring it is due to the SRT4 Dart.

interesting.... though the whole Dart SRT4 getting AWD puts me off this car.

Well their AWD isn't anything amazing really, and from what I've seen so far it probably wont out do Subaru. But we'll see it's early days on that side. However, Dodge have always been good at 4cyl turbo cars so I wouldn't be surprised if the Dart does well performance wise.

Yeah but the Evo is done for really, so the only competition and reason to bring it is due to the SRT4 Dart.
It's hard to see the SRT4 Dart as a competition since what i mentioned earlier were rally cars in the past, i mean the only time i saw a Dart in rally race is at the X-Games Rallycross not WRC. But i know the Dart and Focus will be compared.

OT : "Dart" and "Focus" looks like they belong in the same sentence lol. Since you need "Focus" to play "Dart". Get it ? guys ?.....

It's hard to see the SRT4 Dart as a competition since what i mentioned earlier were rally cars in the past, i mean the only time i saw a Dart in rally race is at the X-Games Rallycross not WRC.

Dodge has done some US rallying and international with the SRT platform in the Neon, and they've been doing Turbo 4 Cylinders since the 80s with increasingly good results. The problem is Mitsu is axing the Evo and left racing sooner than Subaru, who themselves haven't been in it for years either. At least Dodge can apply their road car knowledge to this project which is what SRT ideally is meant for and stands for.

Back