United States
Marietta, GA
Dagger31198
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/12/22/smart-fortwo-brabus-spy-shots/

smart-fortwo-brabus-spy-01-1.jpg

smart-fortwo-brabus-spy-03-1.jpg

smart-fortwo-brabus-spy-05-1.jpg

smart-fortwo-brabus-spy-06-1.jpg

Supposedly has upgraded suspension, and 130 horsepower.

Thoughts?

If it's coupled to that atrocious excuse of transmission Smart usually has, no thanks.

Looks like a Fiat 500 competitor if done correctly and a ERROR, ABORT YOU FAIL AGAIN SMART if done as Smart has done before.

The 3rd generation smart comes with a regular manual or DSG now instead of that SMG from before.
You'd not expect him to have actually researched something like that first, would you?...

(Sorry Leo ;))

I'm quite looking forward to this. The last Brabus Fortwo (the proper one, rather than the detuned American version) was a hoot. A slightly scary hoot, but a hoot nevertheless.

With 130bhp this one is a full 30hp more powerful, has a wider track, longer wheelbase and will hopefully still offer a manual transmission. I just have the image of a rear-drive original Mini Cooper with twice the power in my head.

Gosh they have made a truly hideous look car even worse, how Smart could have got the design so so wrong especially at the front is beyond me. It looks like a fake version of itself!

The looks aren't actually that bad compared to the older Smarts.

Would be interesting to see how it drives, and whether they neuter the chassis with an ultra-safe suspension setting...

I'd never fit in one of these. Don't feel like being laughed at for driving one either. No thanks.

ForTwos have always been spacious. There's zero luggage space but humans fit in them surprisingly well. Also with every generation they look more and more like an elderly meth addict.

My previous six-and-a-half-foot tall editor fit in them just fine.
That's not quite what I mean. There might be the room for your legs but you don't have 5 foot wide seats that I love. That's the kind of space I like.I'm not a fan of sitting on top of someone else like many hatches, econoboxes, compacts and smart cars tend to be like. Hell, even my moms 09 Focus sedan is on the edge of the limits for me when there it s a passenger riding.

That's not quite what I mean. There might be the room for your legs but you don't have 5 foot wide seats that I love. That's the kind of space I like.I'm not a fan of sitting on top of someone else like many hatches, econoboxes, compacts and smart cars tend to be like. Hell, even my moms 09 Focus sedan is on the edge of the limits for me when there it s a passenger riding.
Aren't you like 5'8" or something?

Aren't you like 5'8" or something?
Yes, but I like my space. That's partly why I'm fond of large 70s barges and trucks.

I'm not saying these types of cars are bad or anything though.

If it is light and still has the RR configuration it would be a pain in the butt to control if you drive in a spirited manner, since RR cars are tail happy.

If it is light and still has the RR configuration it would be a pain in the butt to control if you drive in a spirited manner, since RR cars are tail happy.
That's over-simplifying things a little.

The sort of RR cars you're describing typically have the engine slung out over the rear axle by a healthy margin - older 911s, Skoda Estelles, old Beetles (and other aircooled VWs) etc.

66squarebackbrochure_3.jpg

In Smarts, the engine sits on, or even slightly ahead of the rear axle (this one is the older model, but indicative of the layout):

451engine_removed_0001.JPG

In other words, it doesn't have a big pendulous weight following it around the entire time. Its centre of mass is between the wheels somewhere.

In previous Smarts, there have also been other, much more significant barriers to being able to go quickly - a narrow track, short wheelbase, skinny front tyres to induce understeer rather than destabilising oversteer. If you drive a current Fortwo Brabus quickly and aggressively you also get an over-active stability control kicking in all the time to ensure you don't overdo it. (It's worth noting that if you deliberately drive smoothly it's possible to go quite quickly in the old Fortwo - it just needs technique).

The latest Fortwo has a longer wheelbase and a wider track. Having sat in a largely similar (if longer) new Renault Twingo, it also has a lower seating position, which I assume is indicative of a lower centre of gravity. All those should make it quite significantly better to drive than the current one. Throw in the inevitable stability control and oversized rear tyres and it's hardly going to pirouette around like an old swing-axle Beetle whenever you start driving quickly.

Yes, but I like my space. That's partly why I'm fond of large 70s barges and trucks.

I'm not saying these types of cars are bad or anything though.
I'm 5'10", and there's pretty much no car on the market that's actually too small for me. "I like bigger cars" is one thing, but "I don't fit" is trying to make a subjective idea sound objective.

The New Smart looks much better then the old one, it doesn't like like it;s going to tip over with a slight breeze as it's proportions don't seem soo tall for it's length.

I would Consider the Forfour(I actually own the last Forfour) if it's got decent Rear Passenger space for normal sized people and decent driver comfort, which the last Forfour was terrible at.

I'm 5'10", and there's pretty much no car on the market that's actually too small for me. "I like bigger cars" is one thing, but "I don't fit" is trying to make a subjective idea sound objective.
I guess saying it's too small wouldn't be the right way to put it. I just feel as if everything inside is cramped.

I would Consider the Forfour(I actually own the last Forfour) if it's got decent Rear Passenger space for normal sized people and decent driver comfort, which the last Forfour was terrible at.
I'd not be so hopeful on the rear passenger space. I found the back of the Twingo (same car) pretty cramped, and I'm not very tall. It may however be one of those cars with sliding rear seats, and they might have been slid to their most forward position, so I'll reserve judgement until I get a decent go in one.

I tried sitting behind myself in a 108 (same as the Twingo and ForFour) and I found the knee room really bad. There was enough room for my feet, just, but my legs were splayed and my knees were still making contact with the back of the seat. I think they messed up the packaging on that car because the rear seat space just isn't good enough, even for a city car. A Fiat 500 is much roomier in back.

I'd not be so hopeful on the rear passenger space. I found the back of the Twingo (same car) pretty cramped, and I'm not very tall. It may however be one of those cars with sliding rear seats, and they might have been slid to their most forward position, so I'll reserve judgement until I get a decent go in one.
yeah the last Forfour had sliding rear seats which allowed Massive rear Legroom, im hoping this has the same, the interior looks promising though and is definetely aimed at Mini rather then the French City cars.

Hopefully they fix up the Dynamics a bit over the Twingo which going by reviews lacks any feel, the last Forfour was Epic handling wise.

Decent amount of corpulence is what makes Smart (or any little car) ugly or attractive. The second generation was successful for that matter but this one is probably not going to be.
In previous Smarts, there have also been other, much more significant barriers to being able to go quickly - a narrow track, short wheelbase, skinny front tyres to induce understeer rather than destabilising oversteer.
Recently I ran 1st generation Smart Fortwo Cabrio in Enthusia Professional Racing on PS2 and my experience is the same; oversteer isn't nearly as problematic as undrsteer is. If you coming into a corner with full speed you can induce some lift-off oversteer but in very rare cases you'll have to countersteer or do some other activity to retrieve it it normal position. In fact, it helps you to enter corners with more agression and certainly isn't an issue. But once you shift the weight onto rear axle understeer occurs, at great degree at that. You can run fast if you're smooth enough but in general, every time you find a job for front axle to do it gets difficult to bear it. Neither close to what Kei class offers, for example.

Later I checked technical information:

Wheelbase: 1810 mm
Track F - R: 1275 mm - 1355 mm
Tires F - R: 145/65 R 15 - 175/55 R 15

Everything on this car is set to induce understeer.

Enthusia is actually fairly good at replicating the Fortwo's handling, in my experience. The main idea is to avoid trail-braking, which unstabilises the car so the stability control kicks in and scrubs off speed, turn in as smoothly as possible, and get back on the power as smoothly as possible.

The Brabus certainly can be made to go a lot quicker than many people think, as it's actually got decently-sized tyres on it and provided the road doesn't get too bumpy, which the Smart doesn't like either, you can punt along quite quickly. The narrow body also helps here as you can essentially use more of your lane than a wider car can.

As I mentioned above though, the newest Brabus does have a chance of being quite good fun. It's wider and has a longer wheelbase, which is good for stability, and the extra stability means they don't need to be as cautious with spring/damper setups. A little more compliance would be beneficial on most roads.

Am I the only one who loves the new Smart look? Never liked their styling before but this one, yummy (and cute too).

Back