Why doesn't Sony just takeover the developing of GT7

Just a question i have why doesn't Sony just take over the developing of GT7 and outsource some of the work to another company like Evo or something.
Two reasons. First:
Polyphony Digital is already part of SCE, so it is basically Sony that's developing the game - although indirectly.
Secondly, Kazunori is Senior Vice-President of Sony Computer Entertainment. Best of luck taking his baby off him.

Why should they?
First you have this. This is what gt 7 is going up against (Its a fake)
Duykffw.jpg

Secondly Its clear that at this point gt has become to big for a staff the size of pd and gt 5 and 6 kinda tell you so.Just don't see the harm in outsource some of the work to another company.

The difference is that PD doesn't milk their franchise.

........Oi, don't give 'em ideas....

Okay, my 2 cents is this: the most important reason, the way I see it, is that Mr. Kaz is not a robot - no matter how talented you are, if you've been plugging at exactly same thing for 17+ years without a break now and then, you are bound to run out of ideas/creative juice/mojo. I feel GT5/GT6 kinda emphasizes my point. These two doesn't feel.....inspired, let's just put it that way. Features were removed for no perceivable reason, things were added for little-to-no benefit, game's focus is all over the place - perhaps bringing new, fresh blood over may be the curative the series might need. Or even, series taking a small break and PDI do something totally different - altho' I can't see this happening...

Anyway, with the announcement of Forza 6 massively complicates things for Kaz and PDI - dunno when GT7 might be ready to ship, but a rampant speculation puts FM6 coming at near or around holiday season, 2015 - and no mention of GT7 in sight, safe bet might be 2016. That would potentially put THREE Forza titles on a rival console. Not to mention a little fly in the ointment called PCars....

First you have this. This is what gt 7 is going up against (Its a fake)
Duykffw.jpg

Secondly Its clear that at this point gt has become to big for a staff the size of pd and gt 5 and 6 kinda tell you so.Just don't see the harm in outsource some of the work to another company.
Forza 5 wasn't an issue for Sony in regard to competition. Neither will Forza 6. It's clear that the 'rivalry' only really exists within the fanbase, Sony are confident in their poduct at the rate it comes out and it appears Microsoft are happy to bring out 3 Forza titles in 2 years on their console.

........Oi, don't give 'em ideas....
<...>if you've been plugging at exactly same thing for 17+ years without a break now and then, you are bound to run out of ideas/creative juice/mojo. I feel GT5/GT6 kinda emphasizes my point.

Well, allow me to express my disagreement. I kinda feel that Gran Turismo has finally found a new direction with GT6 - becoming a game for those who appreciate anything car, featuring kei cars next to classic racers, modern supercars and the manufacturers vision for the future. Oh, and a bloody moon rover. Which is a brilliant addition to the serie.

And PD has long development times - they already had to launch GT6 at the last possible moment as is, the lack of features shouldn't have been a surprise - although many have been brought back, and many new ones have been added.

Anyway, with the announcement of Forza 6 massively complicates things for Kaz and PDI - dunno when GT7 might be ready to ship, but a rampant speculation puts FM6 coming at near or around holiday season, 2015 - and no mention of GT7 in sight, safe bet might be 2016. That would potentially put THREE Forza titles on a rival console. Not to mention a little fly in the ointment called PCars....

pCars is not a Forza Motorsport / Gran Turismo rival - I expect people that will buy it with this kind of expectations will be soundly disappointed. It's a racing sim for the semi-hardcore sim racer with some options to make it playable to the less-experienced and less-focused gamer, too.

Also, Forza Motorsport always followed a biannual release scheme, while Gran Turismo will come out "when it's ready" (which should really be read as: when Sony decides they want a new GT), as usual. On the other hand, for Forza you have about six months of paid DLC, while Gran Turismo is still receiving free content upgrades.

Also, the fact that there would be three Forza titles released on XBOX One is irrelevant. As soon as Forza 6 will be out, Forza 5 will be dead. And Horizon 2 - with its dumbed-down physics and open-world experience - isn't really a competitor to Gran Turismo, is it?

Just don't see the harm in outsource some of the work to another company.

Neither do I. But look at it from Sony's point of view. They're seemingly happy with the amount of money they're spending on the development studio. They're definitely happy with the exposure they get through the game, the GT Academy and the visibility of the Gran Turismo logo in racing series worldwide. And they've got a game that, while no longer lording it over other racing games on consoles, still sells pretty well.

If anything is needed, it's expansion of the PD staff.

Neither do I. But look at it from Sony's point of view. They're seemingly happy with the amount of money they're spending on the development studio. They're definitely happy with the exposure they get through the game, the GT Academy and the visibility of the Gran Turismo logo in racing series worldwide. And they've got a game that, while no longer lording it over other racing games on consoles, still sells pretty well.

If anything is needed, it's expansion of the PD staff.
Thankfully, they appear committed to some kind of future expansion, and they've already done it in a deliberate way between GT5 and GT6; e.g. the growth and restructuring of the car modeling team.

Just a question i have why doesn't Sony just take over the developing of GT7 and outsource some of the work to another company like Evo or something.
Because PD didn't accomplish their goals for future GT6 updates yet. There are a lot of things to do like the Course Maker, B-Spec, sounds....

Well, allow me to express my disagreement. I kinda feel that Gran Turismo has finally found a new direction with GT6 - becoming a game for those who appreciate anything car, featuring kei cars next to classic racers, modern supercars and the manufacturers vision for the future. Oh, and a bloody moon rover. Which is a brilliant addition to the serie.

And PD has long development times - they already had to launch GT6 at the last possible moment as is, the lack of features shouldn't have been a surprise - although many have been brought back, and many new ones have been added.

pCars is not a Forza Motorsport / Gran Turismo rival - I expect people that will buy it with this kind of expectations will be soundly disappointed. It's a racing sim for the semi-hardcore sim racer with some options to make it playable to the less-experienced and less-focused gamer, too.

Also, Forza Motorsport always followed a biannual release scheme, while Gran Turismo will come out "when it's ready" (which should really be read as: when Sony decides they want a new GT), as usual. On the other hand, for Forza you have about six months of paid DLC, while Gran Turismo is still receiving free content upgrades.

Also, the fact that there would be three Forza titles released on XBOX One is irrelevant. As soon as Forza 6 will be out, Forza 5 will be dead. And Horizon 2 - with its dumbed-down physics and open-world experience - isn't really a competitor to Gran Turismo, is it?

.................Thanks for your erudite reply...I half expected some 10 year olds screaming "GT7 FTW!! Lulz!!" but am relieved that there's someone here not out to bite people's head off...

Anyway I hear ya. Not saying GT6 is lick-ass bad - on the contrary, it is a rather good title - I can attest to this as I play it almost everyday.
But historically, it is the weakest title yet, following on from another weak title (GT5). Yes, I'm well aware GT5 sold truck loads, and GT6 sold a little more than what FM5 managed so far (I think, not 100% sure about this).
Oh and don't get me started on the Moon thingy. I know it seems like a brilliant move on the surface, but I for one felt it was taking the focus away from racing. On terra firma, I mean.

As for PDI's lengthy dev time, heck hiring more folks solves that - GT6 got released this late because of PDI messed it up big time with GT5. If that game shipped as promised in 2009 hell we would've gotten full-on GT6 by now with all'em features and stuff.

Before I sign off, PCars looks good. I'll admit that much. There are some people here saying that this game is aiming for a different demo, and yeah that's true, but here's a thing - (whisper it) perception is everything in business. Head honchos in both MS and Sony perceive their respective car games as rivals - even if you and I feel that's not the case. This PCars will be seen by people in "power" as a sort of litmus test, especially on consoles, whether this kind of community driven car game (with its massive logistics headache) can upset the apple cart.
..............Oh and three Forzas versus one GT? It is relevant, as far as the perception goes.

Two reasons. First:Secondly, Kazunori is Senior Vice-President of Sony Computer Entertainment. Best of luck taking his baby off him.

Wow, I hadn't realised he was that far up the chain. It does explain why he's been able to get away with so much in recent years however. There was I thinking he was answerable to someone.

Forza 5 wasn't an issue for Sony in regard to competition. Neither will Forza 6. It's clear that the 'rivalry' only really exists within the fanbase, Sony are confident in their poduct at the rate it comes out and it appears Microsoft are happy to bring out 3 Forza titles in 2 years on their console.
If there is a title to be concerned about, it would be one on their own console, like Project Cars. It's competing for the segment of the GT fanbase that really enjoys competitive racing but it remains to be seen how broad that appeal is and if it has any effect on GT7 sales. If Project Cars gains traction, I expect the real fight will be with Project Cars 2 and a massively expanded car and feature collection.

For me, the Moon Rover event was just another archetypical GT "marketing addition": sounds pretty awesome and it looks well made at first, until you realize it's all about knocking cones or dodging bumps and crevasses. You're done with it after 1-2 hours max and you'll probably never visit it again. Problem is they probably spent a good amount of time and resources to make it - time that could've been spent elsewhere. It's not the first time they needlessly spend resources for something that looks cool on paper but is either too short, too boring in practice or simply irrelevant.

The GPS Visualizer falls under the same category: sounds awesome in theory and it probably is, but how many of you have been able to try it?

As for the release rate, I think there's one good reason to support Forza's strategy: there's only so much you can do through updates, and that's basically fixing bugs and adding content - sometimes even features. But a full new release allows you to change/update things such as the physics engine, sound files or other important data. Bottom line here is that they can do a better job. If you make people wait to long between the releases, their expectations will grow. That's basically why GT5 was considered a disappointment: it came so late in the console's lifecycle (4 years after its launch!) and after so many delays that we expected the Holy Grail of console sims. All we got was "decent" to "pretty good" game.

Speaking of being late, we're already more than 1 year after the PS4's launch and still no hard proof of GT7, other than Kaz's usual "it's in development" speech.

If there is a title to be concerned about, it would be one on their own console, like Project Cars. It's competing for the segment of the GT fanbase that really enjoys competitive racing but it remains to be seen how broad that appeal is and if it has any effect on GT7 sales. If Project Cars gains traction, I expect the real fight will be with Project Cars 2 and a massively expanded car and feature collection.
Competition is healthy, so hopefully Project CARS does live up to the hype a lot of people seem to be gifting it. I was more pointing out that Sony have no real 'threat' from Forza and probably see the game as something that merely shares the same genre.

Project Cars deserves to do well in its own niche, much as GT continues to in the one it crafted for itself 16 years ago.

Maybe lots of people don't regard either as niche, but every game has only a few things it does very well. Sure, some people just see them as "car games" - such a superficial view can be exploited to lucrative ends, and thus it will be reflected in the marketing of both games.

What matters to us is what they do well, and whether that aligns with our needs and wants, which of course are as diverse as we are. That ought to be transparently communicated.

I believe we need more niches covered by more games, which means the barrier to investing in any given niche needs to be reduced, and that ultimately depends on the market: us.

Games like PCars "going up against" (but not really) GT et al. will show that niches matter.

Don't settle for homogenisation. And, as a sort of secondary consequence to that, keep GT in PD's hands.

In my opinion, Pcars is gonna b more of a rival response to Driveclub mire then it is GT and Forza (which shouldn't b hard to beat).

With the whole concept of Forza releasing a game every year and GT every few years, i think a game should only do that if it really needs to. Like Forza, the only way they can catch up to GT as far as physics and stuff is my making a new one every year to perfect it. With all of the time and resources put into GT (graphics, physics, features, etc) it's nearly impossible for an annual GT to come out, especially with the small size of PD.

I think PD should make a partnership with another company to do graphics and stuff while PD does all the physics.

I also want more events like Goodwood and Sierra Time Rally cuz they were more relevant to the purpose of GT unlike the Lunar Exploration. I also think that the Course maker and B-spec is long overdue for GT6 and should just b postponed until GT7. That way we'll have the full experience of it without any draw backs from the ps3s limits.

In my opinion, Pcars is gonna b more of a rival response to Driveclub mire then it is GT and Forza (which shouldn't b hard to beat).

With the whole concept of Forza releasing a game every year and GT every few years, i think a game should only do that if it really needs to. Like Forza, the only way they can catch up to GT as far as physics and stuff is my making a new one every year to perfect it. With all of the time and resources put into GT (graphics, physics, features, etc) it's nearly impossible for an annual GT to come out, especially with the small size of PD.

I think PD should make a partnership with another company to do graphics and stuff while PD does all the physics.

I also want more events like Goodwood and Sierra Time Rally cuz they were more relevant to the purpose of GT unlike the Lunar Exploration. I also think that the Course maker and B-spec is long overdue for GT6 and should just b postponed until GT7. That way we'll have the full experience of it without any draw backs from the ps3s limits.
PCars and DriveClub are as far apart as GT and Need for Speed. PCars is a racing sim from the ground up. PCars will compete with the portion of the GT fanbase with a more serious interest in the pure simulation racing element of gaming. The portion of the GT fanbase most interested in arcade racing, customization, the feeling of car ownership, building a garage, a more laid back approach to racing etc. will probably not find PCars attractive. Of course many are interested in both and there will be lots of crossover.

Games only truly "compete" in as much as their purchase-inducing "value" overlaps one another. Games, like other media, are very much personal in terms of their value.

So, specific to games, we're talking features (gameplay mechanics, gameplay related interactive systems, social, personalisation, etc.), content, aesthetic design and so on.

Not all of the same identifiable aspects of a game will be noticed, appreciated or desired by two given players. So the overlap between games is determined more accurately by the way specific players interact with the games.

If a potential player finds theirself choosing between PCars and DriveClub, those games are competitors, which would imply little benefit in having both over just the one or the other. If another player has an interest only in specific cars mutually exclusive to two otherwise (magically) identical games, those games are not competitors.

Of course, they still compete for your money, but so do pizza and institutionalised debt. All games overlap in some way, all games are competitors to a degree decided by the individual.

Playing the numbers game, perhaps there are reliable trends if ROI is on your mind, but I wouldn't presume to know (nor would I care) what those are. Besides, behind every shade of grey (easily overlooked in such bulk reckoning), is a niche waiting to emerge - and a new niche is always to our benefit. :)

Well, except for Prologue titles and Concept titles and tenuously-related barebones handheld titles and...

I certainly don't see Microsoft releasing and providing extensive support for failed experiments like GT:HD or GT4 Online for free, but the closest Microsoft got to a Prologue title was the stupid Forza 4 Essentials thing.

Last edited:
Well, except for Prologue titles and Concept titles and tenuously-related barebones handheld titles and...

I certainly don't see Microsoft freely releasing and providing extensive support for failed experiments like GT:HD or GT4 Online for free, but the closest Microsoft got to a Prologue title was the stupid Forza 4 Essentials thing.
That's true actually. I never did understand those extra titles of old. But they have seemingly stopped with those, no?

Now that the series has started taking a critical pounding, yes. The initial failings of GT5 (in regards to it's failure to live up to the standards promised by GT5: P) and the backlash as a result probably did a pretty thorough job killing off that particular revenue stream. People happily paid for a preview of a just around the corner full GT game, but when the preview doesn't really paint an accurate picture of what to expect from the full game and might be several years away from its release to boot, it's going to be a much harder sell. And Sony would have been mad to release a cut-down GT6: P when the jump from GT5 (as it was circa 2.14) to GT6 was already more sideways than forward.

Playing the numbers game, perhaps there are reliable trends if ROI is on your mind, but I wouldn't presume to know (nor would I care) what those are. Besides, behind every shade of grey (easily overlooked in such bulk reckoning), is a niche waiting to emerge - and a new niche is always to our benefit. :)

I just hope there isn't 10 or more, like we need any more of those :ill:

Let's be honest, GT could stand a little more milking.

In the last 14 years we've had three main series games. Nobody's saying it has to be every year, but every two or three years would be nice.

Frankly, I think the way Forza has it set up is pretty clever. They've got two series that are catering to fairly different markets but (supposedly) have high levels of overlap between assets and code. You get a GT equivalent every couple of years, and a TDU equivalent every couple of years. Even if you only like one of the series, you're only a couple of years between games. Win:win?

I remain surprised that PD hasn't attempted something similar. An open world game would be a perfect home for all those standard cars. Lots of low poly cars on the road at once, and lots of graphical power free to deal with the pretty scenery and open-worldiness. It'd be sweeeeet. And it'd probably be a better home for some of their quirky ideas than a motorsports game.

Latest Posts

Back