5.1 sound out of PS5 - How / Which ?

• Thread starter Splitten65
  • 16 comments
Denmark
Copenhagen
Hi

Have been looking at Logitech z906 to get 5.1 sound when playing GT7 / Assetto Corsa Comp

My screen are a Samsung 34" widescreen monitor without sound

Can't connect ordinary BT
Need BT connected through an adapter

So which 5.1 system are compatible with PS5 ?

As @lancashire lad says, since Sony decided to remove the optical audio output on the PS5, you will need to use the HDMI source. Look up "HDMI audio splitter/extractor". It's a device that sits between the console and your monitor that extracts audio data. They have outputs which you could maybe connect the Z906 to I'd have thought.
Other than that you'd need a surround amp system that has hdmi input.

Just a thought. Does your Samsung have an audio output socket of some sort. Some do. If so it might be worth investigating that.

As @lancashire lad says, since Sony decided to remove the optical audio output on the PS5, you will need to use the HDMI source. Look up "HDMI audio splitter/extractor". It's a device that sits between the console and your monitor that extracts audio data. They have outputs which you could maybe connect the Z906 to I'd have thought.
Other than that you'd need a surround amp system that has hdmi input.

Just a thought. Does your Samsung have an audio output socket of some sort. Some do. If so it might be worth investigating that.
No audio output only HDMI

I'll look into if Z906 has HDMI input

This are the inputs : (indgang = input / stik = plug / direkte = directly) 😀

Digital optisk indgang: 2 (op til 1080p)
Digitale koaksiale indgange: 1
6-kanalers direkte indgang: 1
RCA-indgang: 1
3,5-mm indgang: 1
Stik til hovedtelefoner: 1

So no HDMI, but 3,5mm input - You can't 5.1 through 3.5mm input or could you ?

You can't 5.1 through 3.5mm input or could you ?
3.5mm only carries 2 channels (stereo sound) so there would have to be three outputs to carry all 6 channels. So no.

it probably isn't the cheapest option but personally I'd go with an audio/video receiver that has HDMI and a set of decent speakers. The plus side being it would be compatible with pretty much anything and future upgrades are simple.

Granted, I'm coming from the home theater side of things...

No audio output only HDMI

I'll look into if Z906 has HDMI input
But if you had something like this
Screenshot_2024-02-10-17-20-13-845.jpg

You'd then use an optical cable between that and the Z906. Connection 3 & 4 I think.
9b48f6f96a7dbf21a7039779fce6dcbc.jpg

Which I've just noticed is what @MatskiMonk said above while I was typing. 🙂

Or you could get a complete amp and speaker system as @TB says which wouldn't need the splitter.

Last edited:
Or you could get a complete amp and speaker system as @TB says which wouldn't need the splitter.
It's the better solution, but I don't think you'd get much worthwhile for the budget of the Logitech system.
The amplifier/speaker market can get expensive VERY quickly but deals can be found.

Going off of Amazon, the Z906 is $400:

and this can be had for only $20 more:

Between those two, I certainly know which one I'd go with.

TB
Looks a very nice unit for the price. However I'm not sure, but I don't think he had any speakers, so the price of them would also need to be factored in.

Looks a very nice unit for the price. However I'm not sure, but I don't think he had any speakers, so the price of them would also need to be factored in.
That set includes the speakers.

TB
TB
That set includes the speakers.
Something like the RX-V (or D) 485 would definitely be preferable, but that listing doesn't appear to include the speakers. It's looks like the model is now also discontinued (RXV4 is current), so if somewhere does have it in stock it could be a good price, but Yamaha's current budget Reciever (in Norway at least) is ~5500NOK/$520, and that's without speakers, so I'm sceptical.

Thank you everybody for your inputs

I'll go with a HDMI Splitter with Digital Coaxial output and the Z906 speaker system
Can get a used Z906 for 130€ and 55€ for the splitter, so it's ok

I have the Yamaha RX-D485 as music setup in the living room, so it's to far away to the PS5 setup

Is it through a HDMI splitter ?
1 for tv and 1 for amplifier = 5.1 sound
No ,don't use a splitter. Pretty sure it's hdmi to PS5 and optical to TV. My surround supports arc so not sure if you will need that to get it working with TV and PS5. They are all linked so when I press the PS5 controller the PS5, surround sound and TV all switch on.

Last edited:
Back